Chapter 9

Fifty Shades of Ms. Jung

With Moby blasting in my ears I run down Southwest Street toward the Bupyeong District. It’s 6:30 in the morning and I’m trying to clear my head. Last night I dreamed of her. Dark eyes, breathy voice…her sentences ending with “miss” as she knelt before me. Since I’ve met her, my dreams have been a welcome change from the occasional nightmare. I wonder what Flynn would make of that. The thought is disconcerting, so I ignore it and concentrate on pushing my body to its limits along the bank of the Bupyeong District . As my feet pound the walkway, sunshine breaks through the clouds and it gives me hope.

X

TWO HOURS LATER AS I jog back to the hotel I pass a coffee shop. Maybe I should take her for coffee.

Like a date?

Well. No. Not a date. I laugh at the ridiculous thought. Just a chat—an interview of sorts. Then I can find out a little more about this enigmatic woman and if she’s interested, or if I’m on a wild-goose chase. I’m alone in the elevator as I stretch out. Finishing my stretches in my hotel suite, I’m centred and calm for the first time since I arrived in Incheon. Breakfast has been delivered and I’m famished. It’s not a feeling I tolerate—ever. Sitting down to breakfast in my sweats, I decide to eat before I shower.

THERE’S A BRISK KNOCK on the door. I open it and Jongin stands on the threshold.

“Good morning, Ms. Jung.”

“Morning. They ready for me?”

“Yes, sir. They’re set up in room 601.”

“I’ll be right down.” I close the door and tuck my white shirt into my jeans. My hair is wet from my shower, but I don’t give a . One glance at the louche er in the mirror and I exit to follow Jongin to the elevator.

X

Room 601 is crowded with people, lights, and camera boxes, but I spot her immediately. She’s standing to the side. Her hair is loose: a lush, glossy mane that falls beneath her s. She’s wearing tight jeans and chucks with a short-sleeved pink jacket and a white T-shirt beneath. Are jeans and chucks her signature look? While not very convenient, they do flatter her shapely legs. Her eyesmile, disarming as ever, widen as I approach.

“Miss Hwang, we meet again.” She takes my extended hand and for a moment I want to squeeze hers and raise it to my lips.

Don’t be absurd, Jessica.

She turns her delicious pink and waves in the direction of her friend, who is standing too close, waiting for my attention.

“Ms. Jung, this is Im Yoona,” she says. With reluctance I release her and turn to the persistent Miss Im. She’s tall, striking, and well groomed, like her father, but she has her mother’s eyes, and I have her to thank for my introduction to the delightful Miss Hwang. That thought makes me feel a little more benevolent toward her.

“The tenacious Miss Im. How do you do? I trust you’re feeling better? Tiffany said you were unwell last week.”

“I’m fine, thank you, Ms. Jung.”

She has a firm, confident handshake, and I doubt she’s ever faced a day of hardship in her privileged life. I wonder why these women are friends. They have nothing in common.

“Thank you for taking the time to do this,” Yoona says.

“It’s a pleasure,” I reply, and glance at Tiffany, who rewards me with her tell-tale flush.

Is it just me who makes her blush? The thought pleases me.

“This is Kim Taeyeon, our photographer,” Tiffany says, and her face lights up as she introduces her.

. Is this the girlfriend?

Taeyeon blooms under Fany’s sweet smile.

Are they ing?

“Ms. Jung.” Taeyeon gives me a dark look as we shake hands. It’s a warning. She’s telling me to back off. She likes her. She likes her a lot.

Well, game on, kid.

“Ms. Kim, where would you like me?” My tone is a challenge, and she hears it, but Yoona intervenes and waves me toward a chair. Ah. She likes to be in charge. The thought amuses me as I sit. Another young woman who appears to be working with Taeyeon switches on the lights, and momentarily I’m blinded.

Hell!

As the glare recedes I search out the lovely Miss Hwang. She’s standing at the back of the room, observing the proceedings. Does she always shy away like this? Maybe that’s why she and Yoona are friends; she’s content to be in the background and let Yoona take centre stage.

Hmm…a natural submissive.

The photographer appears professional enough and absorbed in the job she’s been assigned to do. I regard Miss Hwang as she watches both of us. Our eyes meet; hers are honest and innocent, and for a moment I reconsider my plan. But then she bites her lip and my breath catches in my throat.

Back down, Tiffany. I will her to stop staring, and as if she can hear me, she’s the first to look away.

Good girl.

Yoona asks me to stand as Taeyeon continues to take snaps. Then we’re done and this is my chance.

“Thank you again, Ms. Jung.” Yoona surges forward and shakes my hand, followed by the photographer, who regards me with ill-concealed disapproval. Her antagonism makes me smile.

Oh, man…you have no idea.

“I look forward to reading the article, Miss Im,” I say, giving her a brief polite nod. It’s Fany I want to talk to. “Will you walk with me, Miss Hwang?” I ask, when I reach her by the door.

“Sure,” she says with surprise.

Seize the day, Jessica.

I mutter some platitude to those still in the room and usher her out the door, wanting to put some distance between her and Rodriguez. In the corridor she stands fiddling with her hair, then her fingers, as Jongin follows me out.

“I’ll call you, Jongin,” I say, and when he’s almost out of earshot I ask Fany to join me for coffee, my breath held for her response.

Her long lashes flicker over her eyes. “I have to drive everyone home,” she says with dismay.

“Jongin,” I call after him, making her jump. I must make her nervous and I don’t know if this is good or bad. And she can’t stop fidgeting. Thinking about all the ways I could make her stop is distracting.

“Are they based at the university?” She nods and I ask Jongin to take her friends home.

“There. Now can you join me for coffee?”

“Um—Ms. Jung, er—this really…” She stops.

. It’s a “no.” I’m going to lose this deal. She looks directly at me, eyes bright. “Look, Jongin doesn’t have to drive them home. I’ll swap vehicles with Yoona, if you give me a moment.”

My relief is tangible and I grin.

I have a date!

Opening the door, I let her back into the room as Jongin conceals his puzzled look.

“Can you grab my jacket, Jongin?”

“Certainly, miss.”

He turns on his heel, his lips twitching as he heads up the corridor. I watch him with narrowed eyes as he disappears into the elevator while I lean against the wall and wait for Miss Hwang.

What the hell am I going to say to her?

“How would you like to be my submissive?”

No. Steady, Jessica. Let’s take this one stage at a time.

Jongin is back within a couple of minutes, holding my jacket.

“Will that be all, miss?”

“Yes. Thanks.”

He gives it to me and leaves me standing like an idiot in the corridor.

How long is Tiffany going to be? I check my watch. She must be negotiating the car swap with Yoona. Or she’s talking to Taeyeon, explaining that she’s just going for coffee to placate me and keep me sweet for the article. My thoughts darken. Maybe she’s kissing her good-bye.

Damn.

X

She emerges a moment later, and I’m pleased. She doesn’t look like she’s just been kissed.

“Okay,” she says with resolve. “Let’s do coffee.” But her reddening cheeks somewhat undermine her effort to look confident.

“After you, Miss Hwang.” I conceal my delight as she falls into step ahead of me. As I catch up with her my curiosity is piqued about her relationship with Yoona, specifically their compatibility. I ask her how long they’ve known each other.

“Since our freshman year. She’s a good friend.” Her voice is full of warmth. Tiffany is clearly devoted. She came all the way to Seoul to interview me when Yoona was ill, and I find myself hoping that Miss Im treats her with the same loyalty and respect.

At the elevators I press the call button and almost immediately the doors open. A couple in a passionate embrace spring apart, embarrassed to be caught. Ignoring them, we step into the elevator, but I catch Tiffany’s impish smile.

As we travel to the first floor the atmosphere is thick with unfulfilled desire. And I don’t know if it’s emanating from the couple behind us or from me.

Yes. I want her. Will she want what I have to offer?