Chapter 3

Fifty Shades of Ms. Jung

"You also invest in farming technologies. Why are you interested in this area?"

"We can't eat money, Miss Hwang, and there are too many people on this planet who don't have enough to eat."

"That sounds very philanthropic. Is it something you feel passionately about? Feeding the world's poor?"

Jessica shrugs, very non-committal.

"It's shrewd business," she murmurs, though I think she's being disingenuous. It doesn't make sense - feeding the world's poor? I can't see the financial benefits of this, only the virtue of the ideal. I glance at the next question, confused by her attitude.

"Do you have a philosophy? If so, what is it?"

"I don't have a philosophy as such. Maybe a guiding principle - Carnegie's: 'A man who acquires the ability to take full possession of his own mind may take possession of anything else to which he is justly entitled.' I'm very singular, driven. I like control - of myself and those around me."

"So you want to possess things?" You are a control freak.

"I want to deserve to possess them, but yes, bottom line, I do."

"You sound like the ultimate consumer."

"I am." Jessica smiles, but the smile doesn't touch her eyes. Again this is at odds with someone who wants to feed the world, so I can't help thinking that we're talking about something else, but I'm absolutely mystified as to what it is. I swallow hard. The temperature in the room is rising or maybe it's just me. I just want this interview to be over. Surely Yoona has enough material now. I glance at the next question.

"You were adopted. How far do you think that's shaped the way you are?" Oh, this is personal. I stare at her, hoping she's not offended. Her brow furrows.

"I have no way of knowing."

My interest is piqued.

"How old were you when you were adopted?"

"That's a matter of public record, Miss Hwang." Her tone is stern. I flush, again. Crap.

Yes of course - if I'd known I was doing this interview, I would have done some research.

I move on quickly.

"You've had to sacrifice a family life for your work."

"That's not a question." She's terse.

"Sorry." I squirm, and she's made me feel like an errant child. I try again. "Have you had to sacrifice a family life for your work?"

"I have a family. I have a brother and a sister and two loving parents. I'm not interested in extending my family beyond that."

"Are you gay, Ms. Jung?"

Jessica inhales sharply, and I cringe, mortified. Crap. Why didn't I employ some kind of filter before I read this straight out? How can I tell her I'm just reading the questions?

Damn Yoona and her curiosity!

"Let me ask you something, Miss Hwang. Are you gay?" Jessica raises her eyebrows, a cool gleam in her eyes. She does not look pleased.

"Huh? Yes, I am. Ms. Jung." She seems to be pleased with my answer.

"You're very forthcoming, Miss Hwang. Since you'd tell me your secret, and I've to tell you mine." Jessica gives a ghost smile. I flushed, again.

"But the recording needs to stop now. Ask me the question again, Miss Hwang."

I reach out the recorder and shut it down. "Are you gay, Ms. Jung?"

"Yes, I am, Tiffany." Oh god!

"I apologize. It's um... written here." It's the first time she's said my name. My heartbeat has accelerated, and my cheeks are heating up again. Nervously, I tuck my loosened hair behind my ear.

She her head to one side.

"These aren't your own questions?"

The blood drains from my head. Oh no.

"Err... no. Yoona - Miss Im - she compiled the questions."

"Are you colleagues on the student paper?" Oh crap. I have nothing to do with the student paper. It's her extra-curricular activity, not mine. My face is aflame.

"No. She's my roommate."

Jessica rubs her chin in quiet deliberation, her eyes appraising me.

"Did you volunteer to do this interview?" She asks, her voice deadly quiet.

Hang on, who's supposed to be interviewing whom? Her eyes burn into me, and I'm compelled to answer with the truth.

"I was drafted. She's not well." My voice is weak and apologetic.

"That explains a great deal."

There's a knock at the door, and Blonde Number Two enters.

"Ms. Jung, forgive me for interrupting, but your next meeting is in two minutes."

"We're not finished here, Andrea. Please cancel my next meeting."

Andrea hesitates, gaping at her. She's appears lost. Jessica turns her head slowly to face her and raises her eyebrows. She flushes bright pink. Oh good. It's not just me.

"Very well, Ms. Jung," she mutters, then exits. Jessica frowns, and turns her attention back to me.

"Where were we, Miss Hwang?"

Oh, we're back to 'Miss Hwang' now.

"Please don't let me keep you from anything."

"I want to know about you. I think that's only fair." Her eyes are alight with curiosity. Double crap. Where's she going with this? She places her elbows on the arms of the chair and steeples her fingers in front of . is very... distracting. I swallow.

"There's not much to know," I say, flushing again.

"What are your plans after you graduate?"

I shrug, thrown by her interest. Come to Seoul with Yoona, find a place, find a job. I haven't really thought beyond my finals.

"I haven't made any plans, Ms. Jung. I just need to get through my final exams."

Which I should be studying for now rather than sitting in your palatial, swanky, sterile office, feeling uncomfortable under your penetrating gaze.

"We run an excellent internship program here," she says quietly. I raise my eyebrows in surprise. Is she offering me a job?

"Oh. I'll bear that in mind," I murmur, completely confounded. "Though I'm not sure I'd fit in here." Oh no. I'm musing out loud again.

"Why do you say that?" She her head to one side, intrigued, a hint of a smile playing on her lips.

"It's obvious, isn't it?" I'm uncoordinated, scruffy, and I'm not blonde.

"Not to me," she murmurs. Her gaze is intense, all humour gone, and strange muscles deep in my belly clench suddenly. I tear my eyes away from her scrutiny and stare blindly down at my knotted fingers. What's going on? I have to go - now. I lean forward to retrieve the recorder.

"Would you like me to show you around?" She asks.

"I'm sure you're far too busy, Ms. Jung, and I do have a long drive."

"You're driving back to INU in Incheon?" She sounds surprised, anxious even. She glances out of the window. It's begun to rain. "Well, you'd better drive carefully." Her tone is stern, authoritative. Why should she care? "Did you get everything you need?" She adds.

"Yes miss," I reply, packing the recorder into my satchel. Her eyes narrow, speculatively.

"Thank you for the interview, Ms. Jung."

"The pleasure's been all mine," she says, polite as ever.

As I rise, she stands and holds out her hand.

"Until we meet again, Miss Hwang." And it sounds like a challenge, or a threat, I'm not sure which. I frown. When will we ever meet again? I shake her hand once more, astounded that that odd current between us is still there. It must be my nerves.

"Ms. Jung." I nod at her. Moving with lithe athletic grace to the door, she opens it wide.

"Just ensuring you make it through the door, Miss Hwang." She gives me a small smile.

Obviously, she's referring to my earlier less-than-elegant entry into her office. I flush.

"How considerate of you, Ms. Jung," I snap, and her smile widens. I'm glad you find me entertaining. I glower inwardly, walking into the foyer. I'm surprised when she follows me out. Andrea and Olivia both look up, equally surprised.

"Did you have a coat?" Jessica asks.

"Yes." Olivia leaps up and retrieves my jacket, which Jessica takes from her before she can hand it to me. She holds it up and, feeling ridiculously self-conscious, I shrug it on.

Jessica places her hands for a moment on my shoulders. I gasp at the contact. If she notices my reaction, she gives nothing away. Her long index finger presses the button summoning the elevator, and we stand waiting - awkwardly on my part, coolly self-possessed on her.

The doors open, and I hurry in desperate to escape. I really need to get out of here. When I turn to look at her, she's leaning against the doorway beside the elevator with one hand on the wall. She really is very, very good-looking. It's distracting. Her burning eyes gaze at me.

"Tiffany," she says as a farewell.

"Jessica," I reply. And mercifully, the doors close.