Chapter 2

Down the Rabbit Hole

You came here often now, more often than ever, sitting in front of the tree as always. As you looked towards the bush that once had the softest pair of white ears, hope had taken over for your heart longed to see those ears, or better yet the wonderful being that those ears stood on once more. Your hand began to ache and as you looked down you saw why. Too deep in thought, you hadn't realized that your grip upon the item you held had tightened. Your grip immediately loosened and your eyes caught sight of the silver pocket watch that shined brightly as it reflected the sun, but not as bright as the smile of the one whom gifted you this watch. Upon remembering his silly grin, you thought of the contagious laugh that would pass by those lips, the laugh being etched so deeply into your memory you could almost hear it. Then you remembered that you couldn’t really hear it now, and you couldn't be sure when or even if you would hear it again. You called out into the empty woods hoping it wasn't as empty as it appeared, “Dongwoo.” As any other day, you received in reply only the silence of the forest with an occasional rustle of the trees as the wind brushed by.

You sat at the tree until sunset and before you stood up to leave you began to fold a paper airplane, but before you started you wrote in the center, Where are you? You began to fold as you recalled the steps that Dongwoo taught you and, as if his hands were guiding yours once more, you completed a perfect airplane. You stood and walked up the path that leads to your house, and within thirty minutes you clear the forest and reach the top of the hill before your house. You turned back and prepared to toss the plane and noticed the sun was now barely peaking over the mountains in the distance. You released the airplane and watched it fly until it was enveloped in darkness and you could no longer see it. Turning on your heel you proceed in the direction of home, hoping that the airplane could reach him somehow to let him know that you were still waiting.

You sat in bed well past when everyone should be sleeping, however sleep seemed far from your thoughts tonight and you couldn't figure out why. You almost felt afraid to sleep, or afraid that if you slept, you would miss something important. After countless sheep jumped through your mind as you tried to find sleep, every last ounce of it was ripped from your body as a sudden chime sounded around your room. You hopped out if your bed to end the source quickly and you hoped the sound had not woken up any of your family. You walked out in the direction of the sound, avoiding furniture in the room, and stopped in front of your dresser. You opened the jewelry box and found the source of the noise, ‘Dongwoo’s pocket watch?’ You asked yourself, as you wondered why it was sounding now because it had never done that before. You picked it up and you shivered, the cold silver was a contrast to your warm bed. As you clicked the button that opened the watch the chime ended, the only sound you could hear now was the sound of your very own breathing. Taking a glance at the watch, you saw that the time read 12:00a.m. ‘Strange’ you thought as you headed back to your bed, but this time you brought the pocket watch with you. You would not risk it going off again with the possibility of waking up your family.

The warm sheets of your bed welcomed you back to your bed as you tucked in for the second time that night. You looked at the pocket watch that now lay beside your pillow and your thoughts lingered on the man that originally owned the watch and the wonderful land where he resides. You wondered if it was as easy to come back through the rabbit hole for Dongwoo as it had been for you. Could he even come back to you? You sighed a deep sigh and you shook your head, ‘It's too late to think about this right now.’ You closed your eyes and sleep seemed to come easier for you now. Listening to the ticking of the watch, so similar to a heart beat, you drifted into your own wonderland.

Cutting off your sleep for the second time, your eyes fluttered open once more unexpectedly. You reached for the pocket watch and found that only 45 minutes have passed since you drifted to sleep, seemingly restless for no apparent reason. A long sigh escapes your lips, you are really growing tired playing cat and mouse with sleep. After a minute of laying in bed, you slip out of your warm burrow of blankets once, and hopefully for the last time, and walk towards the window. You grab your curtains about to pull them close, ‘Maybe if it is completely dark, then I might be able to actually get some sleep.’ Now with the curtains closed you turned and headed towards the bed. A few steps to go until the warmth of the bed, however your tired mind just registered what you caught a glimpse of. You turned and headed back to the window and pulled the curtains apart, and nearly off the rod, as your eyes searched for what you hoped was not your imagination. Your eyes settled on a figure walking over the hill and your heart leaped to your throat as the moonlight illuminated the figure in a silver light that made the fluffy ears upon their head glow.

For the next few moments you stared at the figure that stood at the top of the hill, someone that seemed so far away was now only seconds away from your house. You grabbed your coat that sat upon your desk chair and slipped it on, determined to confirm if it really was Dongwoo that you were seeing. You slid the window up quietly and slipped passed the frame, out into the chilly midnight atmosphere. However, you did not feel cold as your heart rate picked up, pumping the blood faster through your body, and your mind was occupied with questions. Why was Dongwoo here? You walked up to the figure, who was now seated at the top of the hill looking out into the forest, and stopped as you arrived just a few feet behind him. Now you were sure that it was Dongwoo, as you looked at his ears that stood on top of the nice mess of candy pink hair. To be certain you breathed in and called out to confirm, “Dongwoo?” The figure must not have expected anyone to come up to him, especially at this time of night, because he jumped and twisted his body to look at you. In the moment your eyes meet, you stopped breathing as his soft brown eyes looked into yours. He stood slowly and faced you, all while keeping his eyes on yours, “Hello. Didn’t see you there, _______.” You smiled because this scenario reminded you of when you first meet Dongwoo. You pulled out the pocket watch and glanced at the time, “You're late.” Dongwoo chuckled, “I know,” as he smiled as he took your hand and placed something in it, “but I am here now.” You looked at what was placed in your hand and found the paper airplane that you had made earlier that day. “How… When… Why are you here? What about your duties?” “Kukukukuku.” Dongwoo laughed as all the questions fell from your mouth without any thought or organization, the curiosity of why he was present in front of you left your mind scrambled up with emotion to worry about how confused you sounded. “How...hmmm...Through the rabbit hole. As for when, I have been walking for about thirty minutes. Why is a little more complicated.” He scratched the back of his head as he glanced off to the side. He sighed, a little sad, as he started once more, “Well….I….You see….” You could tell that he was having trouble saying what he needed to so you put your hand on his shoulder saying, “It’s okay. Just tell me everything.” “Well you see, After I arrived at the castle to deliver something to Sunggyu he told me that he had a surprise for me. The surprise was that I could come through the rabbit hole and I thought it could be a good idea to come and see you…” You smiled, glad that he took the chance that he was given come and see you, “That’s not too bad, was it?” He frowned a little, he now resembled a lop as his ears were flopping down, “Of course it wasn’t. That was the good news.” You weren’t sure what to expect so to get clarification you asked, “And the bad news?” He looked into your eyes, looking pitiful, and said, “I am only here for 24 hours because Sunggyu says he still needs me…….And I just wish I had a little more time.” ‘Only 24 hours’ you thought. ‘That isn’t very much time.’ You were sad to hear that this privilege to see him would expire before you knew it, but you didn’t want to spend the entire time in a somber mood. So to improve Dongwoo’s, as well as your own, mood you told him, “Then I guess that we will have to make the time we have together incredible, so that we will never forget.” His ears moved back to their proper stance as he smiled and said, “Any time with you would be unforgettable.” You smiled and looked away as you felt your cheeks heat up. Embarrassed you pushed Dongwoo’s shoulder and said, “Don’t tell lies.” “I would never.” Before you could become any more embarrassed your thoughts were interrupted by a large yawn. “You should probably head back to bed, I don’t want to be the reason you are tired.” He said as he smiled at you. “But what about you?” He chuckled “Don’t worry about me. I’ll still be here when you get up tomorrow.” You frowned, “But it’s cold…” “Kukukukukuku” You made up your mind and before he could say anything else you grabbed the arm of his coat jacket and pulled him in the direction of your open window. “Ah...Wait...What are you doing?” “You are sleeping on the floor of my room, so I don’t have to feel guilty about leaving you outside and turning you into a hopsicle.” “Kukukuku...Hopsicle..Kukuku” He laughed until you got to the window. Afraid that someone might hear, you turned around and held your index finger up too your lips for a signal to be quiet. His laughing ceased as he copied your gesture and followed you through your window frame. You watched him as he glanced around your room and smiled at you flashing a thumbs up. You gave a little laugh as you moved to your bed and grabbed an extra pillow and blanket that were on your bed. “I am not tired right now.” He said as he saw you bringing the stuff towards him, “But is it okay if I use your desk and chair.” “That’s fine, but if you get tired the stuff will be at the end of my bed.” “Okay.” You crawled into bed as he sat at your desk. You were enveloped in a comfortable silence as you laid your head on your pillow, ready for sleep. “Goodnight, Dongwoo.” “Goodnight,______. Sweet dreams.” Suddenly you heard Dongwoo begin to hum a sweet lullaby(a/n: I pictured Infinite’s Love Letter), effectively causing your eyelids to grow heavy and lull you to a restful sleep.

*Thud*

You shot awake as you heard the sound which was promptly followed a groan “Owwwwww.” You peaked over the edge and saw Dongwoo sprawled out across the floor. As you looked at him roll around on your floor holding his elbow you couldn’t help but chuckle. Having hear you laugh he turned to you with a pout on his face and whined, “That’s not funny, _____. Your floor is hard.” Wondering what disrupted your sleep you asked, “Did you fall asleep in the chair?” “.............” You chuckled at his lack of response, “I’ll take that as a yes.” You got up and walked towards him saying, “Let me see.” He showed you his elbow, which was a little red, saying, “It doesn't hurt that much anymore.” “That is good.” You replied. You opened up Dongwoo’s pocket watch and looked at the time, which read 9:30 a.m, and turned to Dongwoo saying, “We should probably begin our wonderful adventure with some food, but we will probably need to eat breakfast out somewhere. If that is okay with you?.....Dongwoo?” You saw that he was looking at your hand which held the pocket watch, “You kept it.” He said, almost in disbelief. You smiled softly and said, “Of course! Someone important gave it to me.” He looked into your eyes and smiled, his abrupt awakening seemingly forgotten. Eager to get the day started you turned Dongwoo to the window and said, “Just wait at the top of the hill. I am just going to go get ready and then we will be off.” He stepped through the window and gave you a salute, “Yes. Ma’am.” He winked as he turned and headed toward the hill, leaving you to yourself to prepare.

    After getting ready and grabbing Dongwoo, who now had his snapback on, you headed to a diner that you often visited when you wanted to eat breakfast. You ordered french toast and Dongwoo couldn’t decide, so he just said, “Make that two.” You both sat and finished your delicious breakfast all while enjoying one another's company. Dongwoo was funny and he never failed to make you laugh. You really felt like yourself around him, and you were glad to have someone like him in your life. Having paid the bill you both head out the door, not really expecting Dongwoo to visit you did not have anything planned. As you stepped outside the diner, you stopped by the window trying to decide where you should go next. “_______?” “Hmm,” You hummed in reply as you turned to look at him. “How about there?” He asked as he pointed at a flyer that was posted on the window. You looked over the flyer and saw that the amusement park in town was having a two for one entrance fee deal today. ‘What perfect luck.’ you thought as you turned to Dongwoo with a smile. “That sounds great!”

    The amusement park was bustling with people as you and Dongwoo entered. You smiled as you looked over to Dongwoo, who seemed just as happy as you, and gestured him to follow you, “Come on, Dongwoo.” You walked to the souvenir store first and looked around in awe. The shelves were stocked with stuffed animals and animal eared headbands, which resembled numerous animals. You grabbed the head band before turning to Dongwoo with a grin. He chuckled as he looked at the headband which contained a pair of white fluffy rabbit ears, much similar to his own, but was taken by surprise as you reached out and grabbed the snapback that rest upon his head. Effectively pulling the cap off his head, his own pair of ears popped up. He successfully reacquired the cap and tried to push his ears down, but before he could pull the snapback on, you grabbed his hands and said, “Now we match!” He smiled at you adoringly, causing your heart to flutter and in an effort to hide your flushed cheeks you pulled him to the counter saying, “Let’s go pay.” You walked up to the cashier you scanned the ears, “one” said the cashier as he held up your pair of ears, “and two?” He pointed to the ears on Dongwoo’s head. You couldn’t exactly tell him that those ears were attached to Dongwoo, so you replied “Yep.”

    Several hours had passed and you had been on almost all the rides. After walking out of a ride you spotted a haunted house and pulled Dongwoo over to it saying, “Let’s go there next.” He looked at where you were heading and immediately stopped in his tracks, “Uh..._______. I don’t think we NEED to go through that.” You smiled because you just found out something new about him, “Dongwoo don’t be a scaredy ca-......bunny.” After much persuasion, you were walking in front with a jumpy Dongwoo in tow. You only got scared a few times by the people working there, but other than that you were startled more often by Dongwoo’s shouts. Towards the end of the maze you were startled by a ghost girl who insisted on chasing you. In fright, Dongwoo grabbed your hand and within a minute you both ran out of the maze.  As soon as you were at least several feet away, Dongwoo hunched over and tried to calm his frightened heart. “I think…..I think I just lost a few years of life right now.” You laughed and gave him a pat on the back, “Don’t worry you will be fine.” He smiled at you, but before he could say anything a loud rumble came from his stomach. You chuckled, “Come on. Let’s eat.”

    The sun has set and you thought it would be a good idea to head to the ferris wheel. You both succeeded in getting a cart and were all strapped in. The ferris wheel began to turn and as you went up you began to point out a bunch of your favorite places that could be seen from this vantage point the ferris wheel provided. Realization set in as you realized you only had a couple of hour left before Dongwoo had to return to the rabbit hole. These thoughts effectively dampened the mood as you reached the top and you confessed. “I don’t want the day to end.” Dongwoo looked out into the stars, “Yeah...I know how you feel.” You both sat in silence for a few minutes before Dongwoo started, “______. I know that today felt short, but believe me when I say that today has been amazing and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. It may seem that we were not granted enough time, but our separation will only be temporary. The time will come when we will see each other again. I promise.” You looked up at him to see that he was looking straight back at you. You smiled, “Thank you, Dongwoo. For being here now and, hopefully, in the future.” “Of course.” You could feel Dongwoo’s emotions and, in that moment, you were sure he could feel yours. Your hearts acted as magnets as you drew in closer together, feet to inches and inches to centimeters when-

*BANG POP BANG*

The night sky light up with the colors of the rainbow as both Dongwoo’s and your attention where pulled to the beautiful light show that mimicked the warmth you felt in your hearts.

    You had arrived at the hill once more and were ready to part ways once more. You wanted to keep it simple as you knew you would see each other again, and unlike the last time you didn’t want to cry. Your hand was warm as it was laced together with Dongwoo’s and in an instance you were pulled into his warm embrace. “ See you soon, _____. I promise.” “See you soon, Dongwoo. I will wait.” You stood in his embrace for a few minutes, and, before he pulled away, you felt the softest peck upon your head. Your heart fluttered and caused your cheeks to flush. He pulled away giving you a gummy smile as he walked backwards towards the forest keeping your hands in each other's warmth until the last second when the fingers unlocked and were wrapped in the chilly air. “Bye, _______.” “Bye, Dongwoo.” You sat on that hill and watched as his luminous white ears vanished beyond the thick green of the forest.

    You returned to your house, hopeful in seeing Dongwoo again. You placed your jacket upon your chair, when something on the desk had caught your eye. ‘A letter?’ You thought as you opened it and began to read:

 

My Dearest ________,

 

Hi, it’s me Dongwoo, in case you were wondering. I have something I need to say and by the time you read this I will be on the way back to the castle. Before I was always running late, having been distracted by wanting to do something or go and see what the others were up to. I haven’t really thought about it until now, but Sunggyu has been pleased with me for a while now because I am never late and I never really knew why. I now get my job done early in hopes that the next day would come and that I would be seeing you sooner. Time seemed to fly before I met you, but now time seems an infinite amount longer….I guess that is what happens when you're away from someone who holds your heart. Then the day finally came when Sunggyu granted me what will most definitely be the best day of my life. So I came and I found you with no trouble at all. So, here I am sitting at your desk with the moonlight as my source of light and this letter in front of me. I couldn’t tell you in person, how much my heart flutters at the thought of you, never mind being in your presence. So, I am writing this letter to let you know how I truly feel about you. I can’t stop thinking about you. The life you exude shines brightly and never fails to warm my soul. I truly have never felt like this before, and I don’t want to feel it again unless the person that is the cause of these new feelings is you. _________, I like you and I hope that you can accept my feelings because I won’t take them back….Unless there is someone else that makes you happier than I ever could. I will see you in time and I will have enough courage to tell you in person. See you soon.

 

With Love,

Jang Dongwoo

 

You felt warm as you read his sincere words and your heart was already reflecting the feelings that he had felt as well.

*ThumpThumpThump*