Chapter 1

Down the Rabbit Hole

You walked a familiar path through a forest only stopping once you reached a familiar tree, one that you usually sat in front of. You stretched as a pleasant breeze brushed past your cheek and you plopped down at the base of the tree facing the scenery of the forest before you. You loved to come to this place to think and you often fell  asleep here because you found it incredibly relaxing and comfortable. The only sound that was around you was the rustling of the leaves as the wind grazed passed it and the occasional song from a bird. However, after a few minutes of silence you heard an unusual noise not to far off from where you sat. You sat up in hopes that if you leaned forward and focused hard enough you would be able to figure out where that sound was coming from, or better yet, what was making the noise. After a minute of listening, you heard it again, “Kukukuku.” ‘Laughter? No one but me ever comes out here.’ You thought as you stood up to go look for the source of the laughter. Behind a bush to the right of where you were standing, you spotted a pair of white rabbit ears. ‘That must be one big rabbit’ you thought as you approached the bush as quietly as possible, hoping not to scare off whatever was behind  the bush. Your eyes trailed down the white rabbit ears until they saw them connect to a head of hair, candy pink to be exact. (a/n: Think Special Girl time) There on the opposite side of the bush sat a man sitting crossed leg as he laughed at a pair of squirrels that were fighting over a single nut. He hadn’t noticed you yet, as his attention was completely occupied by the duo, so you took the time to observe him because you had never seen anyone like him before and to say you were only curious was an understatement. His eyes were slightly closed and his smile was bright, as you found yourself smiling at his happiness. “Kukukukuku” He laughed again as he stood and walk to the dueling duo, and tossed a nut at the pair, settling the dispute as they ran off into the forest as if nothing ever happened . He chuckled as he turned around and came to face you, startled by your presence, his eyes went wide and his ears stood stiff in attention. He quickley picked up a snap back that sat on the floor and placed it on his head, trying to conceal his ears from being seen. He raised his hand up awkwardly and waved “Uh...Hello. Didn’t see you there.” He said an awkward smile on his face, “I’ll just be going now...bye” He tried to get past you, but you felt like you couldn’t just let him leave, so you reached out your hand to grasp his before it was too late and said, “Wait!” He turned and looked at you confusion on his face as he said, “Do you need something?” You reached up to his hat, he flinched away from your outstretched hand, so you quickly said, “It’s okay.” You carefully pulled the hat off of his head and his ears sprung up, you smiled and said, “That’s better.” A strange look crossed over his face and his eyes held a soft affectionate gaze, one that you had never seen before. You looked back and reached to touch his ear, and smiled as they were as soft as the clouds they resembled. “See. You don’t need to hide. I am a friend.” He smiled back as he said, “Well friend, My name is Dongwoo. May I ask what your name is?” You chuckled a little and replied “_____” “______. That is a nice name, for a nice girl. Well, as a friend, are you lost? I can spare some time…..TIME!”  He then pulled out a silver pocket watch, “I’m late!” He took off in the opposite direction of where he was standing, leaving you behind. Your legs, acting on impulse, took off after the male as you felt the need to follow after him. You pursued the rabbit eared man until he suddenly disappeared from sight. Not letting that slow you down you ran into a clearing as your feet felt no ground to run on. Sparing a glance you saw a hole, large enough for you to fit through, and the next thing you knew you were enveloped into darkness.

    Opening your eyes, you found yourself in an unfamiliar setting completely surrounded by trees. You stood and looked around, trying to figure out where you were, but failing as every direction looked exactly the same. A voice resonated around where you stood “That was quite a fall.” “Who’s there?” you said, trying to search for the owner of the voice. “Depends. I can be somebody or nobody at all.” He laughed and you replied with another question “Where are you?” “That, once again, depends,” he said “ I can be here” The voice came from your right. “ I can be here,” now from the left. “I can be here,” from above now. “Or here” A voice said right next to your ear. You jumped in surprise and came to face a man that had cat ears and was laughing at your reaction.  He had brown ears that matched his head of brown hair. The sides of his eyes were wrinkled because he was still laughing. Taking notice in how quiet you became, he looked up and made eye contact while stretching his hand out to you, “I am the Cheshire cat and Woohyun is the name.” You replied with simply, “_____.” You reached out to grasp his hand to only wrap your hand around nothing but air. His hand was no longer there. You gasped, as he chuckled and made his hand reappear. “You are not from around here are you.” He stated more than asked, and you replied with, “ What gave me away?” “ It’s just the fact that I have never seen you before and I know everyone in Wonderland.” He replied proudly and continued, “So why are you here?” Remembering how you came to the this strange land you replied, “I followed a friend. His name is Dongwoo.” Woohyun looked surprised for a couple of seconds, before he laughed, “Dongwoo? The white rabbit? He doesn't have time to make friends.” Slightly angered by his remark you said, “Can you tell me where he is? I need to find him.” “Last I heard, he was having some tea.” “Great. Where?” “Over that way.” He said as he pointed at a path that suddenly appeared. You narrowed your eyes at the cat before saying, “How can I trust you?” He laughed saying, “I would never lie.” “...Okay. Well it was nice to meet you, but I better go.” “Goodbye,” he said, “Oh and if you meet the king, can you give him something?” “I guess I can, since you are helping me.” He held out his thumb and pointer finger, which he held in the shape of a heart. “That is my message. Keep it in your pocket. See you around, _____” he disappeared saying, “or not.” You shook your  head, trying to process the strange encounter and started down the path while thinking, ‘I hope Woohyun isn't lying.’

    After walking for what seemed like forever, you came across a fancy white gate with an infinite symbol in the middle. Opening the gate slightly, you first see a huge table with many teapots, saucers, and cups and seated at the table where four figures, one who you recognised. ‘Dongwoo!’ You entered the gate without a moment of hesitation and headed directly for where they were seated. You glanced at the three other figures and took in their appearance. However, only two of the other men sported animal ears, one a mouse and the other like Dongwoo’s, the third male wore a eye catching hat that had orange feathers sticking straight up along the hat. “______!” Dongwoo called as he noticed your figure approaching.” “Well, Who is this?” questioned the one with the hat. Dongwoo laughed, “I said her name is  ______.” The one with the long ears now said, “I have never seen you before.” You replied, “Same.” Dongwoo laughed his laugh, which only caused you to smile. “Have some tea, _____.” said the one who wore the hat. The one with the long ears smiled a strange smile, one that you did not like, “Everyone has TIME for tea.” Dongwoo, who was looking at you, said, “Yeah. Everyone has time….TIME! I've gotta go.” Deja vu set in as he took off from the table and out the gate. Turning to pursue the only familiar thing in this strange land, you were stopped by the one who had mouse ears who said, “Stay.” “Yeah. What Myungsoo said,  _____. Stay and have some tea. Afterall, It was Dongwoo that offered you this cup.” said long ears, “I am Sungyeol, by the way. I am the March Hare and the sleepyhead there is the Dormouse, Myungsoo.” The one who wore the hat finished a sip of tea before placing it back onto the table, “I am the Hatter. Call me Sungjong.” Feeling obligated to introduce yourself you said, “My name is _____. I am not from around here.” “We can tell” Sungyeol said with a chuckle. You took a sip of your tea and tried to get up and leave, “Well, the tea was great but I really need to find Dongwoo and get home.” “Why don’t you stay here?” Sungjong asked, “We can all be friends.” “That would be nice, but I really need to go now.” “Awww..That’s no fun.” Sungyeol said as he stretched his arm across your shoulder. You slipped out of his grasp and pointed in a random direction, “LOOK.” After they all turned you booked it out of the gate as you heard Myungsoo say your name softly, “____.” “Oh,” Sungjong said, “Where did she go?” Sungyeol then sighed, “Oh well. More tea for us then.” Turning your back to the gate you started down the path, opposite from which you came, and hoped you would come across something or someone useful.

    Feeling slightly hopeless, as you only seemed to get more lost, you debated with yourself on whether you should go back or keep moving forward. Your thoughts were suddenly distracted as something came in contact with your head and fell to the ground. ‘A paper plane?’ You looked up and saw paper planes. one after the other, taking flight from somewhere not to far from where you were. Deciding that this was better that going back to the tea party, who quickened your pace to find out what was up ahead. After walking for a little while, you found where the airplanes were coming to a purple mushroom with orange spots. From the base of the mushroom, you hears a sound that lifted your dull spirit, “Kukukukuku.” You look up towards the mushroom top because that is where you thought you heard the sound come from and you wanted to climb up, in hopes you would find what or, better yet, who you were looking for. As you approached the mushroom, you heard a voice, which was unfamiliar, say, “Who are you?” Then a figure walked around the stem of the mushroom before you could get a chance to climb the ladder to the mushroom. “Uh...I am ______.” He sighed, “I am Howon and you didn’t answer my question.” You looked at him confused as he continued, “I didn’t ask for your name. I asked WHO are you?” You were about to question him further but he cut you off saying, “A name. Does it really define WHO you are?” he glanced at you, a small smile on his face, “I believe that there is a lot more to say when someone asks you ‘who you are.’ A person is a lot more than a name, but I assume a name is just the simple answer” ‘Wow’ you thought ‘I am not really prepared for this kind of philosophy right now.’ He was a few steps away from you and he looked at you from head to toes as he wondered out loud, “Are you the ______ he was talking about?” You were about to ask what he meant, but where cut off as he continued to talk, again, “Well, I suppose you came here for a reason. Are you lost? You sure aren’t from here.” “I fell through a hole, and I need help. I am looking for a friend.” you said, “His name is Dongwoo.” He flashed a knowing smile, though you didn’t know why, and said, “Well you must have a good sense of direction.” He glanced up to the mushroom top and nodded for you to go and so you did without another word, climbing step after step. When you reached the top, your breath was taken away by the amazing sunset view, as the mushroom towered over the treetops, and at the edge of the mushroom sat your rabbit eared friend. “Dongwoo.” you called softly, so he wouldn’t fall over the edge. He turned, his brown eyes held a hue of orange as well as a hint of curiosity, wondering who had called out his name. As soon as he laid eyes on you, he smiled a smile that rivaled the sun and patted a spot on the mushroom right next to him. Deciding you had nothing better to do, you walked to the edge, but you were a little weary of sitting down because you were afraid of falling. Seeming to notice your hesitation, he held out his hand and said, “I won’t let you fall.” You placed your hand in his, with unwavering trust, and knew that he meant what he said, however, oblivious to him, you had already fallen, but in a whole different way. You sat beside him and looked out above the trees, “It’s beautiful.” You said and smiled as a warm breeze combed your hair. “It is.” you heard Dongwoo say from beside you. You turned and saw him staring directly at you, as soon as your eyes connected he swiftly turned away, his face seemed brighter…..or was it just reflecting the sun. He pulled a paper onto his lap and folded it expertly, ‘He must do this often,’ you thought. He then threw it into the horizon and you watched it until you could no longer see it. He then handed you a piece of paper saying, “______. You try now.” You folded it like you remember, a lot slower than Dongwoo, and you threw it as soon as you were done folding. However, disappointment consumed you as the plane plummeted to the ground, no hope of flying again. You sighed, “I was never really good at this.” He chuckled and placed another paper beside you, “Let me help you this time.” He stood behind you as his arms wrapped around you in a warm embrace and he placed his head beside yours, but resting on your shoulder so he could still see what he was doing. He gently guided your hands into folding the most perfect paper plane. “There.” He said proudly, “Not even the rain could ever stop this plane from flying.” You took the plane in between your pointer finger and your thumb and tossed it into the open sky. Your heart sored as the plane took flight, “Look Dongwoo. It’s flying” You jumped up and wrapped your arms around him tightly, overwhelmed by the happiness something as simple as a paper plane could bring. You pulled away and looked into his brown eyes, you liked how bright they shone when he was happy, and you said, “Thank you.” “You’re welcome.” was his reply, but his eyes seemed to say so much more, something that wasn't easily translated into words. You were broken from your thoughts as a cough broke the comfortable silence that surrounded you and Dongwoo. You both turned and saw Howon standing there, an amused expression on his face, “Isn’t it getting late, Dongwoo.” Dongwoo pulled out his pocket watch and said, “You're right! The king will have my head if I am late!” Growing wise from experience, you grabbed onto Dongwoo before he had the chance of leaving you behind. “Take me with you.” you said. His eyes lost the look of panic and became soft as he simply said, “Okay.”

    This travel to the palace was a lot more eventful compared to all of the previous treks you had in Wonderland, and it was all thanks to Dongwoo’s company. As you arrived at the palace you were not really sure what you should do because you have never been in front of royalty before. “Dongwoo, what should I do when I meet the king?” He shrugged, probably because this was a normal occurrence for him, and said, “Just follow my lead.” You walked the path outlined with red roses, until you reached a door. Dongwoo entered the door, you following silently behind, as he followed the red carpet path. The path lead to a single chair, one that was occupied by a man older than Dongwoo, and had relatively smaller eye than those you had already encountered. A crown of royalty place on his head, and if that wasn’t an indicator of who this man was, Dongwoo bowed before him and said, “I got the package you wanted.” ‘This must be the king’ you thought as you followed Dongwoo’s bow. “Thank you, Dongwoo. Who is that with you?” “This is ______. She is from the other side of the rabbit hole.” The King looked at Dongwoo, a stronger look that before, and said, “You know that Wonderland is not a place for ordinary people. You need to get her back home before it is too late.” Dongwoo sighed, “I know…..I was going to take her home after seeing you.” “Good.” the King said as he turned his gaze onto you, “My name is Sunggyu. I am the King of Wonderland.” “My name is ______.” You said and you suddenly remembered Woohyun’s message. “Oh, Sunggyu. I have a message from someone I met on the way here.” He looked surprised and said, “Very well. What is the message?” You were confused on how to present the message, until you remembered Woohyun’s last words, ‘Keep it in your pocket.’ So you reached into your pocket and stepped towards Sunggyu and pulled your hand out, holding your fingers in the same exact way Woohyun had, in the shape of a heart. Dongwoo broke out in laughter and you instantly saw Sunggyu’s composure slip away as he pinched the bridge of his nose, letting out a deep sigh. After a few seconds, he finally said, “That was from Woohyun.” “How did you know?” you asked, curious how he could have guessed correctly out of all the possible choices. “He always sends people with hearts. He knows I hate it.” Gaining back his composure he said, “Well, Dongwoo. You are no longer needed for the time being. Your time with ______ is up. Take her back.” Dongwoo responded with a bow and he turned to the door, you following. It was then that you realised you would have to leave Wonderland, leave Dongwoo…..forever.

    Night has fallen and so has Dongwoo’s happiness. You could tell because he was finally quiet, and it was silence that you didn’t welcome. You thought you were hiding your sadness, however, the moonlight shone right through you and you noticed your sad shadow that revealed a figure with its head hung low which sat upon slumped shoulders. You arrived at a hole in the ground, ‘This must be it….the rabbit hole.’ You tried to hold yourself together, but you looked into Dongwoo’s eyes, and like a key unlocking a door, you realised that you didn’t care about leaving Wonderland. You cared about leaving Dongwoo. “I don’t want to leave.” You said, your eyes wet with unshed tears. Dongwoo smiled a soft smile, but one that looked like he was in pain, “I don’t want to let you leave, but I can’t be selfish.” He wiped a stray tear that had fallen down your cheek. He continued, “You have family, friends….a LIFE. I can’t take you from that.” You knew he was right, but you couldn't picture a life with absolutely no Dongwoo in it. As if he heard your thoughts, he said, “We will see eachother again.” The certainty in his voice convinced you, ‘I guess it’s time to go home.’ “Here.” he said, placing something in your hands. You opened your palm and saw his pocket watch. “Just know. That every hour, every minute, every second that that clock ticks…..I will be thinking of you.” You couldn’t hold back as you pulled him into a desperate hug. “Goodbye, Dongwoo.” He hugged you back squeezing you tightly. You both pulled away as he said, “_____. This isn’t goodbye….It is a ‘see you later’.” You smiled at his optimism, glad to have encountered someone as wonderful as him. He grasped your hand and led you to the hole. You held each other's gaze as they spoke an unspoken conversation, and you both smiled. You turned and jumped in the hole, immediately enveloped by darkness, your hand suddenly cold.

    You woke with a start. Glancing around you realised that you were surrounded by the forest you knew so well. You must have fallen asleep. Then you remembered everything, Wonderland, all the people, but most importantly Dongwoo. ‘Had it all been a dream?’ Strucken by the sadness that had consumed your being, you began to cry. You didn’t understand. If this had all been a dream, why were you so sad? ‘stupid brain’ you thought as you cursed it for its cruelty. You had fallen in love...but it was all a dream.You brought your right hand up to whipe away the neverending tears, but you were smaked in the face by something cold and hard. You quickly looked at your hand and saw a chain that lead to something you grasped in your hand. You slowly opened your hand, and there in the middle of your hand sat a silver pocket watch. To be more specific, Dongwoo’s pocket watch. You brought it up to your ear and smiled.

Tick, Tick, Tick