FINAL

Down the Rabbit Hole

You stirred, awoken by the gentle brush of the spring breeze and you opened for eyes. You looked up through the trees to see that the sun shone brightly through the canopy of the trees. You sat and glanced around, slightly confused because you couldn't remember falling asleep. You recalled you last moments before you fell asleep, trying to make sense of your situation. You remembered that you had wandered off the path of the forest, the one that you were accustomed to taking, in search of an adventure. You remembered walking…..and that's it. ‘Strange’ you thought as you stood and dusted yourself off, taking in your surroundings. Nothing around you seemed familiar, so you concluded that you must have taken a break and dozed off. “That must be it!” You exclaimed to yourself, happy about solving your own mini mystery. You picked a random direction and began to walk, hoping you would eventually come across someplace familiar. You felt good as you began your journey and as you continued to walk you found yourself humming a familiar tune, even if you had only heard it once before. Even as you hummed it now, you remembered the time you heard it before. That time being when Dongwoo came to you and hummed, successfully lulling you to sleep.(a/n: In case you don't remember, the song is Infinite's Love Letter.) You smiled at the thought of Dongwoo, anticipation continued to grow as you waited for the time when you could see eachother again. However, you hoped the next encounter would last more than a day, but any amount of time you both received would be treasured.

‘Ok.’ You thought after, what felt like, an hour of walking. You looked around, nothing seemed even a bit familiar.....yet. However, you were beginning to lose the confidence you had in your sense of direction and you admitted to yourself, “I'm lost.” You looked down at the pocket watch, which you carry everywhere, and clicked it open. ‘Hmmm...It's only 2:10pm.’ So it appears you haven't been walking that long, considering the last time you checked the pocket watch it had read 1:37. Time seems to be going relatively slow today, but you took this as a good thing considering your current situation. You wanted to find an area where the trees would clear up, so you can get a grasp of where you were, however, in every  direction you turned all you could see was an endless line of trees. You started to continue the way you were going when suddenly you heard a pop noise to your right which caught your attention. You turned and walked in that direction, as you continued to hear a few more pops. ‘Hopefully I’ll find someone who can point me in the right direction.’ You continued walking and when you came to the entryway your heart skipped a beat. There in front of you stood a elegant white gate which held an infinite sign at its center and you had no doubt in your mind that you knew where you were.

Your hand stilled as you reached for its handle and there was only one thought running through your mind. ‘How did I end up in Wonderland? Was this even the same place you remembered?’ Deciding that you should check out the noises that you had heard, you gripped the handle and pushed it open. Similar to how you remember, you saw a long table, however, how it laid now was different. It was no longer adorned with tea cups, saucers, or even pots. The table was completely empty and it now laid on its side, the top facing you. You glanced around and thought that you stood alone, but that was until you noticed the top of three familiar figures. On the right was a pair of long brown rabbit ears, the middle was round black ears, and on the left was a hat that was covered in decorative yellow feathers.

    You stepped inside the gated area, as the metal  gate closed behind you with a clang. The sound of the gate closing had alerted those who hid behind the table of someone's arrival. You stared at the table, waiting to see if the three people behind would make a move first. After a few awkwardly quiet minutes, you could here vigorous whispers coming from behind the table. You smiled at their antics, ‘If I didn’t know they were there, I do now.’ Some sort of consensus must have been met, as the whispering had stopped, and a head peeked over the edge of the table making eye contact with you. “Ayeeee,” a rabbit eared man said, “Here we were worried that it was Woohyun, and it’s just _________.” The feathered hat donned head popped up at the mention of your name, “What do you mean _________!?” Sungyeol turned his head to look at Sungjong, “By _________, I mean _________.” Sungjong replied quickly, “I know what you meant, but I thought.…” He trailed off,  not finishing his sentence. A soft voice mumbled behind the table,“Cat.” He was promptly ignored, Sungyeol going on to ask, “What are you doing here anyway _____?” “I was actually hoping someone here could help me figure that out because I have no idea.” You said looking at the pair. “Cat,” Myungsoo’s voice called out again. Sungyeol turned to the mouse eared man and told him, “No, Myungsoo, it’s ________. Not a cat.”

    *pop**pop*pop* sounded three consecutive sounds as the three in front of you yelled out in shock. A hearty laugh was heard among the trees, however the source couldn’t be seen. “AHHH,” Sungyeol yelled, “Now we’ve lost.” “Indeed you have,” a voice said, “Now you have  do as I say for a month. No complaints.” Woohyun emerged, seemingly from nowhere, with a grin on his face, “Thanks, _________. You were just the distraction I was waiting for.” Myungsoo sat up, “See, cat.” Woohyun walked over to you, “________, However did you end up here. For the second time.” Being included you answered, “I actually don’t know.” “Well, that’s unusual,” Woohyun said, “The best place for answers would most likely be the castle.” You had figured that it would come to going to the castle, and you were hoping to go there anyway. You couldn’t help it. You were hoping to find the one person that kept you thinking about this strange land, Dongwoo.

-----------------------------------

    You couldn’t find the answers you needed staying here, so the four you were with pointed you in the right direction of the castle. The journey to the castle was long in distance, however it felt short with all the thoughts running through your mind.  You found yourself wondering how you ended up here, along with thoughts of Dongwoo. Some of these thoughts were; where he was, what he was doing, how he was doing. Though you couldn't help but think of what you were going to tell the person responsible for winning your heart’s affection just exactly what he meant to you.

Time passes as such dusk was approaching, and the castle came into your view. You approached the front of the castle and stared, unsure of what you were going to do next. This was answered by a voice behind you, “I should be surprised, but I am honestly not.” You turned and came face to face with Hoya. He smiled, “What brings you here?” You stared for a second and dropped your gaze to the floor, “I actually don't know.” He tilted his head slightly to the side, “I am sure you do.” He continued as he looked at the sky, “Isn’t it funny how when you are looking for something, be it a thing, a person, an answer, it turns up in the most random of ways. Sometimes it is the most obvious answer, yet the most unexpected one.”

You were not sure what to say, but before you could figure out what to say Hoya said, “He has been looking for something too.” He turns to you, “Dongwoo.” He then starts to walk along the side of the castle. You stay glued to your spot until he raises his hand in a gesture that tells you to follow.

He leads you to the back of the castle, and through the magnificent garden. No words were exchanged, as there was a feeling of understanding that no words could match. You stop in front of a large hedge entrance that surely lead to a maze. “Dongwoo is in there. Somewhere.” He said with a small sigh, “He went in earlier today to 'figure something out’ and has yet to return.” “No one has gone in after him yet?” You questioned in slight worry. “No,” Hoya replied, “At least not until now.” You were glad that Hoya was going in to go find your dear friend. However, that idea was quickly erased with Hoya’s expectant stare. “You want me to go in?” You asked. “Yeah,” he replied turning to face you, “I figured you would want to find him, but if I am wrong I can take you to Sunggyu so we can get you back to where you belong.” You turn your gaze to the ground, “It’s not that I don’t want to go in. I just….” you trailed off feeling your embarrassment heat up your ears. He smiled, “I would probably head on in there before it gets too late. Good luck, and farewell, ________.” You stop him from turning around to leave you, “You're leaving?” Hoya gives you a reassuring smile, “Hmm Yes, and no.” Your worry and doubt are beginning to set in and you can’t help but ask, “Won’t I lose my way.” He ruffles your hair, in a way a brother probably would,  “I’m confident that everything will turn out well in the end. Just trust me.” You did.

----------------------------

    Today turned into a day of being lost, and just when you were thinking you found your way, you turn up lost again searching for Dongwoo in this seemingly endless maze. All this walking was begging to make you think about Wonderland and, especially, Dongwoo. You knew the amount of time you spent thinking about his was more than you spent thinking of people you knew longer. However, it could just be the distance that was in between you and Dongwoo that made him the center of your minds focus. You frowned, unable to help yourself, you didn’t like it at all. The distance between you both. In your time apart you learned that what you felt for Dongwoo was greater than anything you had previously felt, and probably would ever feel. You have grown fond of this man, and there was absolutely no changing that now. You found a sense of comfort in sorting out your feelings, mostly. The last thing that concerned you was if Dongwoo had grown fond of you as well, or if you have become forgotten.

You didn’t get much time to dwell on that thought as you went to turn a corner and collided with someone. Before you could feel the impact of the ground, you felt warm hands, a welcoming contrast to the chill in the air, grab and pull you into their steady embrace. You did not need to see this person's face to know you had found what you were looking for. Your face was pressed softly against his chest, so you were able to feel it vibrate as he chuckled, “It was strange. I was lost,” he said as you were finally able to pull away and look into his eye, “Not long ago, I was sitting on the ground and I wasn’t sure which way was home. I was suddenly hit with a need to just go.” He matches your stare, making your heart jump, “It’s no wonder now.”

There was a part of you that couldn't believe you actually found him, but, by some miracle miracle, you did. You breathed out, muttering the only thing that made sense at this moment, “Dongwoo.” He smiled, a blinding smile, as he answered, “That's me.” He then cocked his head to the side and asked a question you didn't even have an answer to, “_______. What are you doing here?” You stayed silent for a moment, as you needed a moment to take in what was really happening. You answered, after your brain made sense of it all, “I don’t know.” Then you added, “I guess I was looking for you.” He smiled, a very Dongwoo like smile, and replied simply, “Me too.”

    You chuckled softly, “I guess we are both lost now.” Dongwoo started to walk in the direction that you came. As he passed you he grabbed your hand, pulling you in tow, “That’s okay. We can get out of this together.” 'Together,’ you found yourself thinking. That word didn’t mean much to you before. However after meeting and befriending him, together, with him, is all you wanted. You both continued to walk, and although no words were exchanged in these moments, you felt happy with just Dongwoo's company.

    You were unsure of how much time had passed, it just seemed irrelevant to keep track of when you were together. Hand in hand you passed through the entrance you came from, feeling the happiest you have in a while. Dongwoo pulled you towards a fountain, and when you were steps away he turned and faced you, grabbing a hold of the other hand. Instead of facing the fountain, he turned you, your body facing him and your back towards the fountain. He took a couple steps forward, which you matched with a couple steps backwards. He slowed to a stop as the back of your knees brushed a cool, cement surface. The momentum you carried led you to a seated position on the edge of the fountain with Dongwoo standing in front of you. He slowly crouched in front of you, leaving you looking down at him slightly. The only thing that could be heard in that moment was your soft breathing, and the infinite running of water.

    Dongwoo kept his gaze down at your intertwined hands for a few moments. There was a soft breeze that you could see approaching, dancing across the tops of the flowers behind Dongwoo. As if encouraged by the gentleness of the wind, Dongwoo finally met your eyes with a soft smile. “Hi,” he said softly with a slight tilt of his head. You smiled in return to his second greeting. “I believe there is something I have to say to you.” He said as he kept his gaze looked on you. In a way, it was strange how he looked at you. Not in a bad way, kind of strange, but rather, a kind of strange that was new and left you your heart stuttering. With a breath, he continued “The letter I left for you and everything in it was every bit true and real.” You had expected this conversation, it was in the letter after all, but that didn’t mean you were prepared for your feelings to be returned. You couldn’t find the words to express how you felt in this moment. Dongwoo, in an attempt to make what he was saying clearer, despite not needing to say anymore, continued, “I feel for you, similar to how the water runs through this fountain. Time doesn't seem to matter and you give me an energy that gives me meaning and a purpose.” The rippling of the water in the fountain behind you, reflected in Dongwoo’s eyes, mixing with the already present adoration. That look, the one he was giving you now, was effective in making you forget how to breath, despite doing it since you were born. His next words acted as a defibrillator, making your heart dance to a different rhythm as you inhaled a deep breath. “Let’s become like this fountain here. Our love endless and flowing indefinitely.” He stood with your hands secured by his own, pulling you to your feet. You now looked up to him, though the distance was closed as he rested his forehead on yours, “___________, stay with me.”