Can We Be Friends?

If We Fall In Love Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 4 ~ Can We Be Friends?

 

“It’s nice to meet you again.”

 

“Again??” Luna asked surprised. “You two knew each other??” she looked back and forth at the two of us.

I was about ready to deny it when the other beat me to it. “We’ve only seen each other once and that was a long time ago. I didn’t know I would see him here tonight until I recognized his face from the promotional posters of the musical.”

“Oh... I see. It’s a nice coincidence then. Where is your friend? I hope I could introduce him too...” she stared back at the doorway as if someone will enter the room.

“He is discussing something with your director and actually I should be there too...” he paused to sit down on one of the empty chairs. “But it is okay... it’s boring to listen to their discussions anyway,” he smiled.

“Is that so? But I need to be there right now,” Luna turned to me. “Wookie why don’t you entertain our guest for a while? I’ll just go to our boss,” she winked at me again and ran outside the room without waiting for my response.

I slightly panicked at being alone with a stranger...or well... perhaps with this person in this room. I am not good at starting conversations with someone I am not yet friends with. Wait, what was his name again? It’s Kyuhyun right? I awkwardly sat down on the chair opposite him and kept a stiff smile on my face.

“Such a small world isn’t it?” he broke the silence.

“Yeah, I didn’t know that you are Korean,” I chuckled at my realization.

“What? You thought I’m European? Do I look one?” he asked and then looking at his face on the huge mirror beside him.

Rolling my eyes I laughed at him. “I didn’t mean it like that. But I did expect that you’re an Asian tourist just by looking at your face.” I looked at him only to realize that he was already staring back at me. I diverted my gaze around the room awkwardly.

“What are doing in Switzerland back then?” I asked.

“Because of photography. You learned now that it's my job but before I got into here I was a fresh graduate," he started to explain. "I wanted to apply to this certain publishing company so in order to be hired and I need to pass some sample of my work."

"Wow... so you actually went there just to snap some scenic views? Why not just stay here in Korea? We have a lot of beautiful places here too."

"I don't know. Or maybe I don't remember my exact reason... I just felt that I will find inspiration when I go to other country. So Switzerland it is..."

"Anyway, its nice to travel to different places and discover it by yourself. So I guess you got accepted after that?" I asked surprised at how I am getting comfortable talking to him.

"Yup," he sat closer to the table between us and leaned on it, smiling up at me. "How about you? Why are you wandering in Swiss alone?"

"It's my wish to go there... I got to fulfill it right after my graduation," I explained briefly.

"Nice. It's cool that we were there at the same time..."

I only smile not knowing how to respond after that. I think we are running out of conversation right away and it will be awkward. I want to sink in to my seat right now for not knowing how to entertain other people. I grew up alone so I'm naturally quiet. If it's not for my best friend I would be a boring person now. Perhaps I'm still boring.

A few minutes of silence had passed until I was saved from this awkward moment. Sungmin came back to room to get his stuff.

"Wookiee your parents had gone home already since it is late they wanted to say goodbye but you're hiding here," he said and eyeing me and our guest at the sofa. "Kyuhyun-ssi you're here!"

"Oh please just call me Kyuhyun. You can go informal to me since you're older," he greets him. Well it seems that they already knew each other.

"Fine then. I see you two were introduced by Luna now so Kyuhyun can I borrow my best friend? I promised his parents that I'll drop him home tonight and I'm going now,"

I wanted to protest that it's too early but I am eager to get out of the awkwardness so I put my trust to my best friend. Seriously it looks like I have a personal body guard in him.

"Sure. Go ahead. I will just wait for Changmin here,"

"Okay. Wookie let's go. I need to go home fast," I moved in a normal pace though. While gathering my stuff, I feel a pair of eyes watching me and I know that it's him. He looks like he wants to say something more but keeps it to himself.

Before I go I bowed my head to his direction. "Nice to see you tonight."

And I swear the smile he returned to me is engraved in my mind.

 

~~~~

 

I learned that Sungmin's brother was sick and there is no one at their home so he needed to rush now. Tired from our performance, we were silent on the way home. He just dropped me off to my apartment first before heading home.

"Wookiee I'm sorry, I know I promised that we will talk about you problems but my brother needs me now..." he apologized and said that he will ask me about it some other time. I did not mind it though. I'm not yet ready to talk to other people about it.

As I opened my door I was greeted by the darkness and silence of my apartment. Turning on the lights, I took my shoes off and put down my bag on the couch. Nobody will care about my mess anyway so I will just arrange it tomorrow.

I took a quick light dinner before washing up and finally taking a rest at the comfort of my bed. My life alone here is so boring during nights like this when I’m tired from work. Sometimes I watch movies until late 2am, not caring if I have an early rehearsal in the morning. The quiet atmosphere of my apartment is sometimes beneficial especially when I am in the middle of memorizing my lines for the musical. I act and sing out the lines, imagining my scenes as I treat the whole apartment as the stage. Sometimes I drag Sungmin here and practice together. Other times we just hang out here like the old times when we were still in high school and college.

As I began to look back at those happy memories of my teenage years, I began to feel the heaviness of my eyes. I hugged my pillow and as soon as I was about to sleep my phone ringed. It was an unknown number but I answered it anyway.

“Hello?”

“Ryeowook-ssi?” The voice sounds familiar and before I could ask the person from the other line he spoke again. “It’s me Kyuhyun…”

“Oh… I recognized your voice,” I said. “How did you get my number?”

“I asked Luna a while ago since I forgot to ask it from you. I hope you don’t mind,”

“It’s okay. I think its good to know each other since we’ve met twice already. Who knows where the next place we will meet again right?”

“Yeah. Soo…”

“Hmmm?”

“Uhmmm…”

“What do you want to say something? Come on, tell me,” I encouraged him. He wants to say something but it seems like he is shy.

“Uhhh Ryeowook… can we – uhmm can we be friends?”

I fought the urge to laugh out loud at his cuteness. So he really tried to get my number so that we can be friends? I find it funny but cute. I thought we were friends already and the fact that he had to ask permission is so endearing. Am I that scary that he had to ask me that question?

“Of course!” I giggled. “I thought we’re friends already.” Suddenly my sleepiness was gone and I turned to lie on my stomach while still holding my phone.

“Really… you know, I thought I had to ask because maybe you’re not interested to be friends with me…”

I chuckled at him. “I’m not that bad okay? I think you’re the first person to act like this to me,”

I heard him laugh and know he is finally relaxing through our conversation. Is he intimidates by me? I am now conscious at myself. Do I look scary? But I don’t think so since I always look innocent. Oww, that sounds weird, praising myself like that.

“Sorry, I’m just awkward like this at first. My friends tease me on the way I act to them when I first met them. I not really that good at making friends.”

“Same here. I would just smile at people and wait for them to approach me first before I speak.”

“Then it’s great that Luna introduced us to each other or else we will just be staring and smiling at each other like idiots,” I grinned imagining the situation and I felt like tonight I gained another friend in my life. I think our personalities will match each other.

"I think so, but will be friends eventually. I heard some rumors that you will work with us for promotions?"

"Ah yes, about that... We will see each other again this week. My friend and your director already agreed for the photoshoot."

"Photoshoot? I thought they will be taking photos of the actual musical?"

"Aside from that we will do an interview or maybe some articles featuring the actors,"

I mentally cursed my director for this. I hate doing interviews because sometimes they ask nonsense or too personal stuff about me. "Am I among them?"

"Of course! Why not? Your smile is beautiful. People will fall for your sweet smile, I'm sure of that," Luckily it was just a phone call or else I'll be in trouble explaining the blush on my cheeks. How come this person is so good with words when he claims that he is awkward among people?

We talked more for a few minutes, engaging ourselves about our upcoming work. He will take over the photoshoot and in order for me to be comfortable working with him, we will start getting to know each other first.

I didn't realize it immediately but soon my dull and boring life will start to show its true colors.

 

~~~~

 

I took a sip from my milktea before turning my attention back to the paper I was holding. I already memorized it but I have the habit of reviewing it every morning just to not forget my lines. It is the common reason why I do wake up early in the morning although I love to stay in my bed during non-working days.

I texted Sungmin to meet me here in our favorite café

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter