four

Those days with you

“Oh.”

That’s all Baekhyun says. Oh. I don’t know what I was expecting. But definitely more than an ‘Oh’.

“Congrats.” Baekhyun says softly. He’s staring down at his feet, which makes it hard for me to read his expression. “But that doesn’t change the way I feel about you.”

I fiddle with the hem of my dress. I have no idea how to respond. I don’t love Baekhyun. At least I don’t think I do. But that doesn’t mean I don’t care about his feelings. As messed up as it is, I don’t want to hurt him more than I already have.

“Baekhyun, you don’t love me,” I try to reason with him. “You probably think you do, but you don’t. Things have changed, okay? People change. So have I.”

Baekhyun shakes his head, then looks up to face me. In his eyes is a mixture of hopefulness and pain.

“Okay.” Baekhyun steps forward, and before I know it he’s pulled me into his embrace and has his arms wrapped securely around me. I am washed over by a sense of familiarity and longing. The way Baekhyuns hands feel on my back, the way we fit like two pieces of a puzzle. It’s been so long, I think. It’s been so long since…

“Then tell me you don’t love me back.”

Baekhyun loosens his grip on me, leaning back slightly to look me in the eyes. I open my mouth, willing myself to just say the words, to just tell him what he doesn’t want to hear. But I can’t. I can’t tell him I don’t love him. I’m engaged and I can’t tell him I don’t love him. I’m getting married in two weeks and I can’t even tell Byun Baekhyun that I don’t love him.

He smiles, “I knew it.”

His lips are the way I remember. Everything’s happening so fast, too fast. I feel Baekhyun pressed up against me, my fingers in his hair and his hands on my waist and I’m falling again. Deeper and deeper. Harder and harder. And this time, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to pick myself up.

 

 

 

 

/runs away