three

Those days with you

It’s cold and windy outside, although Baekhyun doesn’t even seem to notice. I trail a few steps behind him as he calmly walks ahead. We don’t speak at all, which makes me even more nervous.

“Um… where are we going?”  I finally break the silence. For a few seconds, Baekhyun doesn’t respond, and I feel stupid for asking. But then, he turns to face me and grins, “You’ll see.”

                                                   


 

I let my hand gently trace the letters carved into the bark of the oak tree, and blush rises to my cheeks unexplainably. Baekhyun stands with his hands in his pocket and watches me.

“Why’d you bring me here?” I ask, locking eyes with him.

He looks away, and then he simply shrugs. “I don’t know. I just wanted to…” Baekhyun hesitates. “I just wanted to talk. We have a lot to talk about.”

I nod, then take a step towards Baekhyun. Its time, I think. It’s time to tell him. I don’t want to, but I have to.

I open my mouth to speak when Baekhyun interrupts.

“I’m still in love with you.”

Momentarily, I swear I can feel my heart stop beating. My breathing hitches, and all of a sudden the world around me starts to spin. The only thing I can focus on is the look on Baekhyuns face and the words carved into the oak tree behind him.

BH + JY

Things were different then. Back where we were reckless teenagers who fell for each other so fast we didn’t even think about how hard we’d land. Or how much it’d hurt when we did.

Baekhyun stares at me expectantly, and I know what he wants me to say. If this was three years ago, I wouldn’t even hesitate to utter those few words. But things have changed. So much has changed. And I’m no longer the person Baekhyun thinks I am.

“Baekhyun,” I whisper. Moonlight glistens down on us, illuminating the school yard. I close my eyes so I don’t have to see his face.

“I’m getting married.”