Duet. (Jongyu)

Drabbling away

Prompt: B wants to perform at an open micbut needs a duet partner. A answers the call and shows up to practice, and B realizes that they’ve chosen a love song to sing with this cute stranger.


It wasn't supposed to end like this.  

 

When Jinki walked into the room all those weeks ago, looking adorable in his fuzzy gray sweater and tattered skinny jeans, Jonghyun had imagined something entirely different.  

 

The hopeless romantic in him had awaken at the vision of elder's shy brown eyes and the sweet innocence of his smile.  And as they both laughed awkwardly after their first rehearsal, the cheesiest montage of their future together played inside his head.  

 

Jonghyun had envisioned romance, cuteness and happiness, and at first it seemed like his dreams weren't that far from reality.  

 

So he is not sure how they got here.  

 

Maybe it was the kiss, it was definitely the kiss. Minho told him he was going too fast, buJonghyun refused to listen. He was so confident about thisand how could he not? When Jinki smiled at him like he was the answer to his every question, to his every prayer. 

 

The audience listens to them with awe and admiration. Jonghyun spots a few people tearing up and  he can't blame them, to be honest he feels like crying too.  Was it really only three days ago that Professor Lim told them they were too happy to sing this song? 

 

Jonghyun can barely recognize the voice that comes out from his own mouth, it sounds too raw and pained to be his, but even more shocking is the change in Jinki's caramel tone. Today when the elder sings it is as if his throat is tearing with every single verse that leaves his lips and his voice carries a note of  despair that is both beautiful and disheartening. 

 

Music had always been Jonghyun's passion, an ethereal force that flowed through his being and helped him communicate with the world.  Since infancy, many have envied his ability to pour his soul into a song, but never before have lyrics cut as deep as they do now, as he pleads to not be left behind by the one who owns his heart. 

 

This is what Jinki has done to him. He's stripped Jonghyun from his identitydestroyed him and built him anew, mixed the faulty bits of Jonghyun's spirit with parts of his own magnificent essenceAnd now his passion is something else. Passion is Jinki's voice, it is an onslaught of tune and memories, resonance and laughter, harmony and desperation that consumes him from the inside out. 

 

But Jinki kissed him back that night, he kissed him time and time again. He kissed him urgently until their lips were red and swollen. And when kissing hurt too much to continue, he held him tight against his chest as he whispered the sweetest words Jonghyun had ever heard. 

 

So he doesn't understand, Jonghyun simply can't understand. 

 

 

 

He can see Jinki's parents standing by the window, they reluctantly agreed to wait inside when Jinki asked them to let him handle the situation.  

 

This is the first time Jonghyun ever sees Mr. and Mrs. Lee but they glare at him from afar as if he were the most terrible monster. He knows he looks bad; he's sweating buckets from running all the way from the school, his eyes are bloodshot and the tears on his face have yet to dry, still he doesn't think he deserves such treatment 

 

Minho would kill him he knew he's here, the younger man advised him to let go but he couldn't let Jinki walk out of his life. Not without an explanation. 

 

"I told you I didn't want see you anymore. Please, leave." 

 

The spark in Jinki's eyes that Jonghyun used to adore is gone. It's dead and cold, everything from his face to his voice and mannerisms. He's almost unrecognizable. 

 

Even so, Jonghyun begs, he'll drop to his knees if he has to.  

 

"Jinki, just talk to me once, tell me what did I do wrong?" 

 

"You're not good for me, Jonghyun."  

 

And it makes no sense, it still doesn't make any sense. 

 

"Why?" 

 

"Please don't make me say it." 

 

It has to be his fault, Jinki is just too nice to say it. Because that's him, kind and considerate Jinki. Not the man standing in front of him with the vacant stare and the hollow words. 

 

"I'm sorry if you thought I was pressuring you, I didn't mean to force my feelingon you. You're so special to me, Jinki. The most special person in my life, please don't push me away." 

 

"This is for the best. I shouldn't have let things go this far. It was a mistake, all of it." 

 

It might be because he is obsessed, because he's spent the last weeks thinking of  nothing but Jinki and replaying every single interaction between them in his brain as method to fight insomnia, but he simply can't accept Jinki's words for truth. There is something in the back of his head that tells him he needs to keep insisting, push harder until the mask falls off. 

 

"But I love you." 

 

The desperate confession pulls  the first real emotion from Jinkihis body tenses, his breathing becomes labored and his eyes close preventing Jonghyun from seeing any trace of vulnerability in them.  

 

For a moment Jonghyun believes this is it, the moment when Jinki will finally explain that everything he said before was a lie, the instant when he'll hold him in his arms again and tell him how much he loves him. Because Jinki loves him, he said so himself not two days ago and all this is nothing but a misunderstanding. 

 

But when Jinki opens his eyes again, there isn't love. In those pretty brown irises there's nothing but anger, shame and frustration. 

 

"Whatever you think you feel for me is not love, it's a... sickness, and I simply can't let you mess with my head any longer. I'm better than this and so are you. Deep inside you are a good boy, all  you have to do is trust in God and ask for help, professional help." 

 

Did he imagine it all? The smiles, the kisses, the tenderness? Jonghyun finally believes he just might just have.  

 

The weight of his poor judgment is so heavy on him that his whole body trembles with the effort of staying upright. He's sure he looks pathetic right now, letting himself be humiliated like thisonly sixteen and already so shattered. But it doesn't matter, he can't find the resolve to care about anything anymore. 

 

Small, chubby hands wrap around his, preventing him from collapsing with anguish. And while Jonghyun  never thought of Jinki as someone cruel beforehe does now. Why else would he touch him so softly again, let him experience the comfort of his warm skin only to let go and send him away, leaving him even more broken and cold than before. 

 

"Go home, Jonghyun." 

 

 

 

It is probably because he is so terribly numb that he doesn't notice until he's back in his bedroom. His fist unclenches and a wrinkled piece of paper falls to the ground. 

 

A silver of recognition filters through the thick haze of misery clouding his brain. Jonghyun has seen those messy scribblings before.  

 

He shouldn't allow himself to hope again but he can't help it, he wonders if he'll ever stop clinging to this impossible dream thais Jinki 

 

Jonghyun tells himself this is the last time as he wills his eyes to focus on what's written in the paper. 

 

Meet me tomorrow at 7:00am in Minho's coffee shop.

 

Maybe. Just maybe, it's not going to end like this. 

 


How did I come up with this from that prompt? I have no idea.