Dead face. (Onho)

Drabbling away

Prompt: “I’m aware we don’t know each other but you look like you’re about to  cry, do you want to hold my hand or something?” (at the top of a rollercoaster or something) au  


 

Jinki spotted him  right  off the bat. It would have been impossible not to, the kid's nervous demeanor stood out even in a sea of anxious people waiting in line. 

 

His friends didn't seem to notice, they talked, joked and smiled with nothing but excitement on their faces. But years of friendship with Key and Jonghyun had taught Jinki to recognize the signs of an impending panic attack. 

 

It was fate that they ended up seating together, Jinki would never admit to have weaseled his way to a more convenient spot.  

 

None of the boy's friends managed to get in the ride with them. They all waved and cheered from  the other side of the fence and the kid did his best to smile back, though in Jinki's opinion he failed miserably. How could their friends let him do this? It was obvious by the way his huge, expressive eyes twitched, that this boy was about two seconds from  a mental breakdown.  

 

The train started moving and Jinki didn't miss the little whimper that left the boy's lips. Honestly he never understood that  fear of attractions like this, he didn't remember ever feeling something other than thrill when on a rollercoaster ride. But he'd heard enough of Kibum's traumatic experiences to imagine just how terrible the kid to his left must have been feeling. 

 

And that's why he dared to forget his own shyness and  try to do something to ease the kid's stress. It was the memory of his friend's suffering that compelled him to help, it definitely didn't have anything to do with how alluring the boy's eyes his eyes were or how adorable the pout of lips was. Definitely not. 

 

"Sit up straight and close your eyes," Jinki said, making eye contact with the kid for the first time and trying to  convey in his gaze the sympathy that would encourage him to trust a complete stranger in a moment like this. "It's easier that way,"  he assured, thinking of something that Kibum had told him once. 

 

Surprisingly the boy didn't even hesitate to follow his advice, shifting on his seat to adopt the position and hurrying to scrunch his eyes shut to avoid seeing the panorama that was staring to get even more terrifying as the train made his way up to the highest point of the circuit. 

 

Noticing how desperate the boy was to take any recommendation that would make the ride less frightening made Jinki want kill his friends down in the ground for not stopping this from happening. 

 

Focusing back on the scared kid for now, Jinki spoke again, voice firm and optimistic. "It's ok to scream, it can distract you from other sensations, but I've heard staying silent works just as well." 

 

The boy nodded frantically and for a moment all Jinki wanted to do was hold him and tell him everything was going to be ok, but since that was completely inappropriate he went for a less creepy offer. 

 

"You can hold my hand if you want to." 

 

Again, the boy didn't think twice and reached blindly for Jinki's hand, holding it in a nearly painful grip. 

 

Jinki squeezed back and smiled fondly at their joined hands before the fall. 

 

When everything was over Jinki noticed with a proud grin that the boy's lips were curved in a little smile. 

 

The kid opened his eyes slowly, he looked a little dazed but overall calm, at least until he noticed he was still holding Jinki's hand and let out a loud gasp. 

 

"Sorry," he muttered shyly, blushing a faint pink and immediately letting go of Jinki. 

 

There was some relief in having his circulation restored but mostly there's  dissatisfaction in loosing that almost uncomfortable heat of the kid's skin on his. 

 

"It's fine," he replied with a bright smile and a blush of his own 

 

And it really was. It felt so incredibly fine to hold the kid's hand like that, and the realization  intimidated Jinki a little. 

 

It hadn't been that long since he started noticing boys that way, so he still struggled a bit when it happened. 

 

They walked together in silence to check their pictures on the many screens inside the souvenir shop. 

 

When they spotted their faces it was impossible not to burst into nervous little giggles 

 

It's not a terrible photo, Jinki had seen much worse. This one was just a little weird, with the kid looking like he passed out and Jinki staring at him with curiosity. 

 

"You look nice," Jinki affirmed, trying hard to suppress his laughter. 

 

The boy just shot him an incredulous look. 

 

"Dead face is much better than melted face," Jinki retorted, pointing at the picture of an older couple that was honestly disturbing. 

 

The kid's giggles became louder and once again Jinki had this urge to scoop him in his arms. 

 

Jinki ended up buying the pictures and handling them to the  smiling,  lanky boy. "You should keep them. They could be some nice motivational material. Conquering the adversity and stuff." 

 

Those strikingly bright eyes opened up wide with surprise, making Jinki's heart flutter in his chest. 

 

"I'm Jinki by the way."   

 

"Minho." 

 

Taking the pictures from Jinki, Minho hesitated for a second before leaning in to press a fleeting kiss to his cheek, murmuring a soft,"Thank you for everything, Jinki." 

 

Jinki's brain short-circuited and he didn't come back to his senses until Minho was walking away, looking for a spot to wait for his friends among all the couples and families. 

 

His feet reacted even before his brain did, following Minho with hurried steps. It wasn't until he was tapping the boy on the shoulder that he realized he didn't have a clue of what to say. 

 

'Dump your friends and hang out with me for the rest of the day'  Sounded a little too desperate. But Minho had already turned and was looking at him with those beautiful eyes of his, that shone with anticipation.  

 

In his panic Jinki  resorted to use an immortal cliché that would certainly earn him Kibum's antipathy.  

 

"Minho, can I get your number?" 

 


 

Guess what song I was listening to while writing this.