The wedding. (Jongyu)

Drabbling away

Prompt: "crashed your family member’s wedding for the free food but hi there." au 


 

 

"I thought this only happened in movies." 

 

 

Jonghyun swallows a spoonful of delicious onion soup and looks to his right so he can face the man seating next to him, who stares back with an amused smile on his lips. 

 

 

"Sorry, what?" 

 

 

The man smiles wider and his eyes glint with mischief as he sends Jonghyun a pointed look, "I didn't think people actually enjoyed crashing weddings in their spare time." 

 

 

Deep inside Jonghyun is panicking, this is not the first time something like this happens but it's the first time Taemin is not there to save the day with his witty comments and irresistible charm. Still, htries his best to appear cool and collected when he answers back. 

 

 

"I'm not a wedding crasher, what are you talking about?" He sputters indignantly, his face turning a deep shade of red he hopes makes him look enraged and not completely embarrassed. "I came here to congratulate my wonderful cousin and his new bride." 

 

 

The blonde man scoffs and honestly Jonghyun can't blame him, if Taemin were here he'd undoubtedly punch him the face. Even after being taught by the best he's still the tiest liar in the universe. 

 

 

"How did you know?" He asks dejectedly, embracing his fate of being thrown out by security before he even gets to taste the main dish. 

 

 

"You haven't looked at me once since I arrived." 

 

 

Jonghyun frowns, "So?" 

 

 

The man just shrugs noncommittally and continues eating his soup. 

 

 

For a few seconds Jonghyun just stares blankly at the man, trying to make sense of his words. But when he dares to look around them, he finally notices something strange.  

 

 

Some try to be subtle and  steal shy glances between bites, others openly point fingers and exchange comments with expressions that go from curiosity to anger, but it's pretty obvious that almost everyone in the room has something to say about the man seating next to Jonghyun. 

 

 

"Who are you?" 

 

 

The man rests his spoon on the table and offers him a hand, "Lee Jinki, your wonderful cousin's ex-fiancée." 

 

 

"Oh." 

 

 

"Yeah, oh." 

 

 

They shake hands and Jonghyun looks from the attractive man in front of him with the bright smile and the honest eyes, to the pretty woman dressed in a fantastic white gown just across the dancefloor. He then leans a little closer to Jinki with playful grin curving his lips"Well, he was never the smartest in the family." 

 

 

Jinki snorts, but Jonghyun doesn't miss the faint pink that colors his cheeks at the comment. 

 

 

 

 

They sway gently, following the rhythm of the song the band plays. Jongyun's hands are laced behind Jinki's neck as the elder's encircle his waist in a firm hold.  

 

 

That morning Jonghyun had almost cried when Taemin called to cancel on him, he'd felt so wronged by the fates that he'd almost stayed home. It's funny how much can change in just a matter of hours, because a wedding, one charming man and a few glasses of wine later, Jonghyun is pretty sure this is the luckiest day of his life. 

 

 

"So why did you come?" He finally asks as they gracefully spin around the dancefloor. 

 

 

A shadow of disappointment crosses Jinki's chocolate eyes and Jonghyun quickly jumps to explain himself. "I'm not complaining or anything," he presses his body even closer to Jinki to try and make his point clearer. "I'm glad you're here, like really glad, but it is you know.... a little weird." 

 

 

Jinki vents out a sigh that ruffles Jonghyun's hair and caresses his skin, sending shivers down his spine. 

 

 

"Gwiboon invited me. She had the audacity to come to my house and announce they were getting married. It took a lot of me to not rip the invitation in front of her smug, pretty face." He admits, voice calm and even, but with a hint of bitterness that makes Jonghyun ache a little. 

 

 

Looking at the radiant face of the young woman dancing a few meters from them, you wouldn't guess she'd be capable of being so mean to a man that used to be special to her husband. 

 

 

"We were good friends once, the three of us." 

 

 

The sadness in Jinki's voice is pretty evident and when he looks into the elder's eyes he's not surprised to see their usual brightness temporarily obscured by the pain of the memories. 

 

 

It's selfish but Jonghyun feels frustrated by the man's sudden glum demeanor. He kind of really likes Jinki and it hurts him to think that he might still be pining over another when Jonghyun is so blatantly showing his interest. 

 

 

The song ends but Jinki refuses to let go of him, he keeps him close until music starts playing again and he can continue leading them in an effortless waltacross the wooden floor. 

 

 

"It's been well over a year since Minho broke our engagement. It may sound stupid, but I just wanted to come and confirm something I've been feeling for a few months now." 

 

 

"And what is that?" 

 

 

"That I've moved on,Jinki states simply. 

 

 

New enthusiasm thrums in Jonghyun veins at those words. "And how is it going so far, your experiment?" 

 

 

Jinki's answering smile is one of the most beautiful things Jonghyun has ever seen. "Even better than I expected." 

 

 

"Really?" He insists. He has to be sure, this encounter may hint otherwise but Jonghyun is not one to fool around, he needs that certainty. 

 

 

"I feel great. Liberated." 

 

 

faint blush spreads from his neck to his face but Jonghyun's voice doesn't waver, he's not embarrassed just excited. This night could change everything. "So if I were to ask if you want to go home with me tonight, I wouldn't be taking advantage of you?" 

 

 

Jinki throws his head back and laughs. The sound of the man's happiness has Jonghyun's heart fluttering inside his chest. 

 

 

The elder presses their foreheads together and Jonghyun clearly hears someone gasp behind them, he's pretty sure  there are dozens of eyes on them right now but he doesn't care. All that matters right now is the cute little word that slips past Jinki's lips.  

 

 

"Nope." 

 

 

It is Jonghyun that closes the distance between them and captures Jinki's full lips with his own. The kiss is short but so wonderfully sweet that Jonghyun can almost taste that fated happily ever after. 

 

 

"Good."