Broken-hearted Beginnings

One More Time

9th October 2014

Friday night, the night of I Corporation’s 7th Anniversary dinner. In the span of seven years, the company made a name for itself as one of the world’s best robotics engineering companies under the leadership of their founder and CEO Kim Tae Yeon. I Corporations specialised in creating and producing top of the line medical technology and had made great contributions to the field of Medical Science but in the recent year the company’s stocks had been declining and the investors were not happy.

Tae Yeon wanted to use this opportunity to unveil to everyone the company’s latest project, the ‘Roboarm’ and hoped that it would help to boost the company’s stocks. The aim of the project was to create a robotic prosthetic limb that could function like a human one so that amputees could carry on with their daily lives. Safe to say that she was feeling the pressure as the announcement could literally change the world. Tae Yeon searched around for Tiffany in hopes of being comforted by words of encouragement from her fiance.

Much to her dismay, Tiffany was nowhere to be found. Tae Yeon begrudgingly went up on stage to release the news, without her significant other by her side. Tae Yeon stood on stage and surveyed the posh-looking function room in hopes of finding Tiffany amongst the sea of faces but once again she was nowhere to be found. Tae Yeon masked her worry with an air of confidence and poise as she made the big announcement which was met with a thunderous applause and nods of approval from her business partners.

She left the stage and heaved a sigh afterwards, getting rid of the residual jitters and stress. She then made her way to the dining area in hopes of finding Tiiffany but instead was swarmed with a mass of people wanting to know more about the project. Tae Yeon had no choice but to entertain her guests. She asked Wendy, her secretary, to go look for Tiffany as it was not like her to be absent from Tae Yeon’s side at such events for such a long time, hence her worry.

Wendy came back to Tae Yeon a short while later with news that Tiffany was in her hotel room as she felt dizzy due to having too much to drink. Tae Yeon thanked her and went back to mingling with her guests until the event ended. As soon as she saw guests leaving, she reminded her staff on duty to ensure that her guests left the premises safely. She got into her Silver Porsche 918 Spyder and drove to a nearby 24/7 pharmacy. The cashier gave Tae Yeon an odd look as she paid for some aspirin pills as it wasn’t everyday that you get a beautiful lady dressed to the nines coming into the store.

Tae Yeon immediately rushed up to her shared hotel room so that she could see how sick Tiffany was and hopefully nurse her back to health. She rummaged around her purse in search of the room’s keycard and swiped it across the door’s security lock to open it. The sight that greeted her shattered her grieving heart to a million pieces.


 




Both of them stared at each other, frozen in horror. Tiffany finally regained her senses and started shaking her head.
“Tae, I swear to god this isn’t what it looks like and that I woke up in bed like this. I don’t even know who he is!” Tiffany exclaimed as she pushed the stranger off the bed. She made her way towards Tae Yeon and cupped her face, trying to get Tae Yeon to look into her eyes. Tae Yeon refused to budge and slowly dragged Tiffany’s hands away from her face.

“I don’t know what to believe Tiffany. Seeing is believing and from what I just saw… I can’t do this, not right now. How could you do this to me right now when you know that my family is in the hospital just because they were coming to visit me! I don’t know what to think!"

“No, no Tae please. I really didn’t mean to, one moment I was having a drink with some of your staff and the next thing you know I end up here. I swear I would never cheat on you”

Both of them had tears streaking down their face. Tae Yeon started backing away from Tiffany with clenched fists and a tightened jaw. When Tiffany looked up, all she could see was the hurt, anger, shock and confusion that clouded Tae Yeon’s dark orbs, her face held a mask of pure agony.

“Tiffany-ssi, I can't trust you right now, not after what I saw. Please let me spend some time away from you. I’m losing control of myself and right now, I’m not sure if I can even run my life in this state, much less a multi-million dollar company.”

“W-what do you mean Tae Yeon-ah?”

“I mean that I want to take a break from our relationship right now Tiffany-ssi. I need some time off for myself to get back on my feet. Please stay away from me for now. I need to leave this place and get away from everything, from you.”

“No… Tae Yeon-ah! No, please. Don’t you believe me? I love you too much”

“I don’t know anymore. Like you said, even you don’t know what happened. Either that or you just don’t want to tell me. I need some time to think, with everything that’s happening right now with my family, the company and with you… I’m not sure what’s going to come first depression or a heart attack. Please, let me go”

The Tae Yeon that stood in front of Tiffany looked so broken and fragile, a shell of the person she used to be. It killed her to know that she caused Tae Yeon to go past her breaking point. She took one last look at her lover and said “Ok, I’ll let you go. I’ll find out who did this. Once I do, please come back to me Tae… I need you”

“Maybe… goodbye”

Author’s Note: Hello everyone, this is my very first piece of work that I’ve been contemplating on writing for awhile and finally did! Hope this gave you an introduction to our main character Tae Yeon and the current situation she’s in. I really would appreciate it if you could give some feedback regarding my grammar, the flow of the story or whatever you want! Thank you for clicking on this story and giving it a read. I’ll do my best to make this a story worth reading. Update: Edited this chapter and found so many weird sentences and typos *sobs*, hope it looks better now.

Till next time :)