Chapter 3

One Night...And Forever

Shin-hye worked on So-yeon's make-up absentmindedly, her sister was on her mind. Her sister had gone to the hospital for her test and she had been waiting for a callback.

"What are you doing?" So-yeon exclaimed, breaking her out of her reverie. 

Shin-hye started and realized she had extended the browline she was drawing longer than she intended. "Unni mianhae." She said and wiped the pencil off with a wet wipe.

"What's up with you? You've been in and out of it all day." So-yeon said returning her attention to her phone.

"I've got a lot on my mind." She replied and started drawing the browline again.

"Boyfriend troubles?" 

Shin-hye scoffed. "I wish. I haven't had a boyfriend in three years."

So-yeon suddenly looked up from her phone and smiled. "Do you want me to set you up with someone."

Shin-hye pulled back. "No way, the last time you set me up with someone he turned out to be a total weirdo. He was all over me after two drinks. What kind of man gets drunk after two glasses? Besides, he said he'd want me to support him while he worked on his music. I have nothing against that but he has no talent. It seemed like a total waste of time."

"Mianhae, but this guy is different. He's really nice and has a good job. He's very handsome too, very tall." So-yeon cajoled.

"How do you know this person?" Shin-hye asked as she moved to So-yeon's hair.

"He's my fiance's university hoobae. He works in an ad agency."

Shin-hye almost dropped the brush she was holding. "Fiance? I didn't even know you were dating."

"Actually, we've been dating for a while. I just found out I was pregnant so I have to do one last movie before March so I can get married before I start showing." So-yeon confided.

"Pregnant?" Shin-hye came in front of So-yeon and looked at her stomach.

"Ya, you can't tell anybody. This cannot leak out to the press, I don't want my fiance to be in the public eye until we're married."

Shin-hye gaped at her. "You're really amazing. How were you able to hide it for so long?"

So-yeon smiled. "In any case, do you want to meet this guy? His name is Lee Joon-seo."

"If he turns out to be a weirdo again, I will never forgive you." She warned and went back to styling her hair.

"Trust me, he's a good guy." So-yeon replied. 

"We'll see." She finished So-yeon's hair and make-up and So-yeon went back to her shoot. Shin-hye sat down and watched the progress of the shoot when her phone rang. "Yeobseyo." 

"Shin-hyeya, na ottokhae?" Her sister's voice said. 

"Wae, what's the problem? Is it bad?"

"I don't have an STD, but I might be pregnant." Eun-ha replied. She sounded resigned and her sister sighed.

"Unni, I'm almost done here and then I'll come home. We'll talk more when I see you."

"Okay, I'll head home right now, see you when you get there." 

Shin-hye sighed. She was worried about her sister. What would happen if she was pregnant, would she keep the baby or abort it? How would she go about raising a baby whose father she barely knew? "What kind of trouble did you get yourself into?" She said to herself.

 

"Neh Jae-yeol sunbae." Joon-seo answered his phone. He was just getting off work and made his way to his car.

"Joon-seoya, how are you doing? Orenmanida." 

"Ya, are you busy this weekend?"

"Not really, why do you ask?" He put his phone on speaker and started driving.

"Remember you asked me to set you up with someone?"

"Did you find someone already? It was just a week ago that I requested that."

"Of course, don't you know how much I like you? Anyway, she's So-yeon's coordi. So-yeon says she's a really nice girl.Do you want to meet her this weekend?" 

"Did she agree to the meeting?"

"Of course. I'll send you a picture and her number as soon as I get it from So-yeon." 

"Arasso, kumawo sunbae." He said and hung up. He smiled a very big smile. He hadn't dated in a long time and he was beginning to feel lonely. He had run into Jae-yeol the week before and they had gone to have a few drinks when Jae-yeol told him he would be getting married by March. He had sincerely felt happy for his friend and senior but it had also made him realize how long it had been since he had had someone in his life. So, he had requested that Jae-yeol set him up with someone. He was really happy and looking forward to meet this girl, he hoped she would be worth it. He pulled into the parking basement in front of the apartment building when his phone rang. He answered the phone after parking the car and getting out. "Eo Jong-hyunah."

"Where are you?" Jong-hyun asked trying to keep the excitement out of his voice but failing.

"I'm in the parking basement, I'm going up right now. You?"

"I'm on my way home, I'll stop and buy a cake, we have something to celebrate." Jong-hyun said and hung up.

Joon-seo took a shower and changed his clothes and he was preparing to start dinner when he heard the door open. Jong-hyun walked into the kitchen carrying a cake box and a huge smile on his face. He instinctively smiled when he saw his friend smiling. "What is this?"

"Something really good happened to me today." He said setting the box on the counter top.

"What what?"

"I got a call, and I got the lead role for the movie I went to audition for two weeks ago."

Joon-seo was delighted but then his face fell. "Mwoya, this means you're moving out. Doesn't it?" Jong-hyun had told him, when they had moved in together, that he would move out when he got his first lead role.

"Does this mean you're not happy for me?" Jong-hyun raised an eyebrow.

"Don't be silly, of course I'm happy. You've been waiting for this for ten years."

"Aigoo kyeopta. I'm not going to another country, just another part of town. Besides, I can't keep living with you. What if you want to bring your girlfriend over?" Jong-hyun laughed.

"Hmm, you do have a point. I'm really happy for you. Hey, you want to cook dinner?"

"Ya, but it's your turn."

"But you have something to celebrate Mr big movie star. I'll go and relax in the sitting room okay? Make it delicious." Joon-seo said and quickly escaped the kitchen while his friend called after him.

 

Shin-hye walked into the apartment and saw her sister sitting on the sofa with a faraway look on her face. "Unni." She said quietly and when her sister looked at her, she held out her arms and her sister walked into them. She wrapped her arms around her and patted her back.

"I don't know what to do. We did a test at the hospital but it came out negative. The doctor said that it happens sometimes that a test might not detect an early pregnancy but since my period is late, I'd have to check again later."

Shn-hye took her hand and they sat on the sofa together. "If you turn out pregnant, what are you going to do? Are you going to keep it?"

"I think so, it's not the baby's fault I was reckless. I can't just kill an innocent child that didn't ask to be born."

"Will you tell him?"

"I can't even contact him, how would I be able to do that?"

"But what if you run into him again, what would you say if he sees you when you get heavy or when you're holding a child?"

"Ya, is Seoul the size of a bean? I don't think that will happen. And if it does, well I'll figure it out then." Eun-ha shrugged. She released a deep sigh. "I don't even know what I've gotten myself into."

"Whatever it is, I'll help you you can trust that. We'll get through this together." She put an arm on her sister's shoulder.

Eun-ha gave her a hug. "Sometimes, I wish you were born first. Thank you."

Shin-hye got off the couch and headed to the kitchen. "What do you want for dinner?" She called out to her sister.

"KImchi Jjigae. Do we still have some kimchi left over?" She answered back. Just then, Shin-hye's phone, which had been left on the table, pinged with an incoming message. She picked it up and took it to her in the kitchen.

Shin-hye opened the message and gasped. "Mabsosa!"

"Wae wae?" Eun-ha asked and came to her sister's side immediately. "Saesanghae! Who is that?"

"So-yeon unni is setting me up for a date this weekend and this is the guy." She smiled.

"Wah he's really good-looking. What does he do?"

"He works in an ad agency. Wanjon chalsengiota." She said and they but squealed in excitement.

Eun-ha stopped suddenly, "Chamkkaman, what if he's a total crazy person? Why is he single if he's this good-looking and has a good job?"

Shin-hye gasped, "Oh my god, ottokhae?"

 

Jong-hyun and Joon-seo were cleaning up after their meal when Joon-seo's phone pinged with a message, he opened it and let out a bark of laughter. "Daebak!" He said.

"Nugu?" Jong-hyun aksed when Joon-seo showed him the picture. "Isn't that Oh So-yeon?" He asked. There were two women in the picture, the background looked like a restaurant.

"The girl I'm going on a date with this weekend." Joon-seo replied.

"You're going on a date with Oh So-yeon?"

"No stupid, the girl beside her. Isn't she beautiful?" Joon-seo smiled and looked at the picture again.

Jong-hyun smiled. "Aren't you happy? You like it that much?"

"Eo. Ya, I think I might dream about her tonight. How am I supposed to wait till saturday?" Joon-seo said.

"Ah, gross. Stop smiling so much your face might split in half." Jong-hyun shook his head and went back to drying the dishes.

"Ya, do you think I should call her?" 

"Why not? Just put it on speakerphone so I can hear too." Jong-hyun said so Joon-seo dialed the number beneath the picture. 

Joon-seo held his breath as the phone rang and she answered on the second ring.

"Yeobseyo." She said and Joon-seo almost collapsed. Jong-hyun slapped his forehead in exasperation. "Yeobseyo." She said again.

"Yeobseyo, neh, er, Lee Joon-seoibnida." Joon-seo said and he heard someone giggle in the background. 

 

Shin-hye almost dropped her phone when she heard who it was and her sister began to giggle. 

"Get a hold of yourself." Eun-ha mouthed to her sister while trying to contain her giggles. 

"Ah neh, annyeonghaseyo. Seo Shin-hyeibnida."

There was an awkward silence for a few moments and Eun-ha was quietly trying to get her sister to say something. 

"Heokshi.." Shin-hye and Joon-seo said at the same time. 

"You go first." Shin-hye said.

"Er, I think So-yeonssi must have talked to you. Erm, do you want to go get dinner with me on saturday?" Joon-seo said.

"Of course. Where did you have in mind?" Shin-hye asked. She could tell he was a little nervous and that made him seem cute to her.

"I haven't decided yet, I'll make a reservation and get back to you. Is there any kind of food you like or food that you have an allergy to?" He asked.

Eun-ha mouthed at her sister. "He seems considerate." She said with a thumbs up. 

"No, nothing at all. Anything is fine." She replied.

There was another awkward silence until Joon-seo cleared his throat. "Ah, so, ah, well I'll talk to you later. Erm, have a goodnight." He said and hung up.

Shin-hye and Eun-ha let out identical squeals. "Ottokhae, he's so cute. Did you hear how he was stammering? That was so adorable." Shin-hye said while laughing.

 

Joon-seo felt like his heart was going to jump out of his chest and he took several deep breaths to calm himself down. "Ottokhae, her voice is so pretty. I thought I was going to go crazy."

Jong-hyun tsked at his friend. "Who are you and what have you done with Joon-seo?" He teased.

"Ya, do you want to come along this weekend?" Joon-seo asked.

"Ya, are you crazy? Why would I go along with you on your date? She walk out the minute she sees us arriving together, besides I have to go for the script-reading on saturday."

"Ah geurae? Ottokhae! I have to find a good restaurant. Since she hangs out with Oh So-yeon, she must have been to a lot of expensive places. What if I take her to somewhere that seems shabby?" He asked nervously.

"Calm down man, I'm sure you'll do fine." Jong-hyun said.

"This won't do, I need to go and do some research." Joon-seo said and left the room.

Jong-hyun laughed at his friend and wondered whether it wasn't time for him to also go on a date. It didn't make sense for him to still be obsessing over a girl he met once over a month ago. He decided that when Joon-seo got back from his date on Saturday, he'd tell him to ask Seo Shin-hye if she had any friends.