Chapter 4

One Night...And Forever

Joon-seo was getting dressed. He and Shin-hye had decided to have their date at Shilla hotel since she had to be there anyway because So-yeon was attending a script-reading. She had assured him that the food in the restaurant was good, so he needn't worry if it would suit her taste. He had wanted to take her somewhere he chose but he figured they could always do that next time. Jong-hyun had already left for the script-reading earlier at 12 pm and he was going to see him once his date was over, he figured it was as good a time as any to introduce Jong-hyun and Shin-hye to one another. He straightened his jacket and nodded in appreciation at his image in the mirror before leaving for the hotel. 

 

Eun-ha turned over in bed at the sound of the phone ringing. "Eo?" She said when she answered it.

"Unni, are you feeling better now?" Shin-hye asked.

Eun-ha had been feeling tired and was having some stomach trouble earlier so she had decided to rest a little. "Eung, I feel a little better. But why are you calling, shouldn't you be in the middle of a date right now?" She asked glancing at her watch. She hoped the guy hadn't stood her sister up.

"He's not here yet, he called to let me know that he'd be a little late because of traffic."

"Oh, I see. I thought he stood you up, I was getting ready to kick the hell out of him." She said getting out of bed and heading for the restroom.

"Unni, do you want to come by later so I can introduce you to him?" Shin-hye asked.

"All this is assuming it works out." Eun-ha replied. 

"Even if it doesn't, just come by. We can have a girls' night out. We haven't done anything together in a while and it's almost Christmas." 

"Arasso, I'll come by later. Have fun on your date." She said and hung up. She noticed something on her pants and turned it around to get a proper look. "Is that...blood?" She wondered. She hurried back to her room to check her sheets and sure enough, there was a blood stain on the bed sheet. She stood still for a minute until the reality hit her. "I'm not pregnant. I'm not pregnant." She cried out in delight, she had to tell her sister. She picked up her phone but then remembered she wasn't supposed to distract her from her date. She gathered her sheets off the bed and dumped them in the washing machine, then she took off her clothes and put them in the machine and went to take a shower. She sat on the bed after her shower and put her hand on her belly. "There's no baby." She said, her initial delight giving way to a feeling of regret. She rubbed her palm against her belly and sighed. She didn't realize she was hoping, just a little bit, that she might have been pregnant. "It's for the best I suppose, there's no use having a baby if I'm not prepared for it." She said and sighed again, she suddenly felt like curling up in bed and crying. 

 

"I'm sorry for keeping you waiting for so long, the traffic was terrible. A trailer collapsed and the rescue workers and police had a difficult time getting it off the road." Joon-seo said as he took his seat opposite Shin-hye. She was wearing a pair of faded skinny jeans, an off-the-shoulder long-sleeved top, her coat hung on the back of the chair and a hat sat slightly at the back of her head while her bangs hung straight down to her eyebrows and a few tendrils of hair curled on either side of her face.

"Kwanechanayo it's a good thing you called ahead to let me know you'd be late." She smiled. She appreciated that he had good enough manners to let her know she'd be waiting.

"Do you come here often?" He asked.

"No, this is only my second time here." She replied.

"Ah. You look much more beautiful in person. You have great style too." he complimented.

Shin-hye laughed. "You don't look too bad yourself. I do like the jeans and blazer combination." She indicated his outfit.

"Thank you. So, what would you like to order?" He asked as they picked up their menus.

"The last time I was here, I had steak but I think I'm going to try the salmon this time. What about you?"

"Salmon sounds good." He replied and they gave their order to the waiter.

"Tell me about yourself." Shin-hye said when the waiter had left.

'Ah well, I'm thirty years old. I work for Hanseong ad agency as a copywriter, I'm currently living with my best friend, Park Jong-hyun, although he's moving out soon since he got his first lead role. You might have met him earlier, he's here doing a script-reading with Oh So-yeon."

Shin-hye's eyes widened. "I saw him briefly, wow he was really good-looking." She said and Joon-seo raised his eyebrow slightly.

"I'm not sure how I feel about you saying that."

Shin-hye lifted her one-side of mouth in a smile. "You're good-looking too." She said.

The waiter brought their food and placed it before them. They thanked him and started to eat. "Tell me about yourself." He said.

"I'm twenty-six years old, as you know I'm Oh So-yeon's coordi. I live with my elder sister, my best friend in the whole wide world. I like collecting seashells."

"Seashells?"

"Yes, I think they're really pretty. We have a bunch of them in our house, I collect them any time I get a chance to go to the sea. Since I haven't gone a lot in the past few years though, I haven't been able to collect any. Do you have any siblings?"

"No, I'm an only child. As for my hobby, I like taking pictures."

They talked some more about themselves and found out that they had the same taste in music and movies. Joon-seo succeeded in making Shin-hye laugh a lot by telling her all sorts of jokes. They didn't realize they had sat talking for more than two hours. When Shin-hye glanced at the time, it was already 4 pm. "I have to call my sister, I want to introduce you to her. You don't mind, do you?" She asked.

"No, that's fine. I want to introduce you to Jong-hyun too, he should be finishing his script-reading right about now." 

Shin-hye dialed her sister's number. "Unni, do you want to come by? There's someone I want you to meet." She said when her sister answered. 

"It worked out?" Eun-ha asked.

"Eo. Come quickly. Come straight to the restaurant when you get here and ask for me."

"Arasso, I'll be there as soon as possible. When we get home later, there's something I want to tell you."

"Arasso, I'll see you soon." Shin-hye said and hung up. Her cellphone pinged with a message as soon as she hung up, it was from So-yeon. It read, "Finished with script-reading, will be out in five minutes. Having fun on your date? xoxo." "The script-reading's over." Shin-hye said and showed her phone to Joon-seo.

"Oh good, I was wondering whether it was okay to call Jong-hyun." 

A few minutes later, there was a frenzy of camera shutters going off and amidst all the flashes, So-yeon and Jong-hyun walked out of the conference room. "I look forward to working with you again, please take care of me." Jong-hyun said and inclined his head to So-yeon.

She smiled and patted his arm. "Why must you be so formal? Please be comfortable around me, that's the only way we can work well together."

"Neh sunbaenim."

"Noona."

"Neh, noona." He corrected with a smile.

"I'll see you at the location, I'm going to meet up with my coordi in the restaurant." She said.

"I'm going to the restaurant too. Actually, my friend is the one you set up with your coordi."

"Chincha! It's such a small world. Let's walk together then." They made their way to the restaurant and as they entered, So-yeon saw Shin-hye waving at her and she waved right back.

Shin-hye stood up as she saw So-yeon and whom she assumed to be Jong-hyun walk towards them. "Annyeonghaseyo." She greeted him.

"Ah neh, annyeonghaseyo." He replied.

"This is my friend, Park Jong-hyun. Jong-hyunah, this is Seo Shin-hye." Joon-seo made the introduction and they greeted each other again. 

"You two already know each other." She said in way of introduction to Joon-seo and So-yeon.

Joon-seo inclined his head. "Hyungsoonim." He said and she smiled.

"Do you forgive me?" So-yeon asked. She didn't need to though because she could see the happy look on Shin-hye's face.

"Yes, this time." Shin-hye replied.

"Yes! I can't stay and chat, I have a date tonight. Have fun everybody." She said and left.

"I'm hungry, I'm going to order something before we leave. Is that okay?" Jong-hyun asked Shin-hye.

"Of course, we were going to wait for my sister to arrive anyway." She said and just then her phone rang. "It's her. Eo unni."

"I'm arriving right now. Can you see me?" Eun-ha asked as she walked into the restaurant.

"Eo, I can see you. Look straight ahead, I'm waving my hand right now." Shin-hye replied. Her sister saw her and smiled. 

Jong-hyun stood abruptly as he saw the woman who walked towards him. Was he dreaming? He never imagined that he would see her again, especially not like this. His heart raced with every step that brought her closer to them. She smiled, he remembered that smile from that one night. He remembered how he had been so mesmerized by the smile. 

Eun-ha stopped a few feet away from the table. She stared at Jong-hyun who had abruptly stood up as she arrived. She knew that face, that high bridge of his nose that she remembered so well. The well-defined face that was so uncommon among other men, she remembered. She didn't know what to do. Should she go ahead and sit down? Should she turn and run? Should she act like they had never met before? 'Why are you being so indecisive? You're the one who told him it was just for one night. If there's anyone who should be shocked here, it should be him.' A voice said in her head. The voice was right, he should be unsettled, not her. She took a deep breath and walked the remainder of the distance to the table. "Annyeonghaseyo." She said in greeting to them.

"Park Jong-hyun." Jong-hyun said.

"Neh?" She asked.

"My name is Park Jong-hyun." He replied.

"Ah." She said and just as she was about to take a seat, he spoke again.

"Aren't you going to tell me your name?"

"Eun-ha. My name is Seo Eun-ha."