Chapter 6

I Hate But Love My Boss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

VI.

It took a moment for Wendy to realise that she was in a mess. No. That she was a mess. From Irene’s gentle breaths on her neck that sparked the tinge of feelings she had in her heart into something raucous, an uncontrollable wildfire of want and desire, to the lack of space between their bodies but the pieces of clothing they had on. It was a crazy thought to touch upon on, really, but was it even a thought when everything in Wendy’s mind had gone all convoluted?

It would be a lie to say that Wendy didn’t enjoy it. But it would also be a lie to say that she didn’t feel all wrong about it. So wrong yet so right. An ironic situation. Ironic. Irene. Hugging tighter, going towards squeezing, but lighter, gentler, like a heavenly pinch.

Wrong, in a sense that Irene was her boss and right now, this hug had erased the hierarchy that had been established between them by the stone cold glares and the strict demands. Wrong, in a way that Irene would even dare hug Wendy, someone Irene had only seen to be as her own personal maid or butler or whatever term fitted her situation. It was more or less an impossible reality that had become an actuality through the power of alcohol, a Devil’s device.

But that was the least of Wendy’s worries because despite her various refutes and denials, this one silly gesture brought about by a not-so-sober Bae Irene, had dismantled her resolve of not feeling anything past admiration. The thing that she didn’t want at most to happen had in fact happened, or rather, been fully awakened.

The dormant feelings of love.

At least, that was what Wendy thought it was. Because the fleeting, chaotic pandemonium that was her heart right now, at the embrace of one Joohyun, at the sharp tingles this Joohyun’s breaths had sparked, could not be explained any other way but to say that Wendy had indeed fallen.

There was the heat on Wendy’s face that made her uncomfortable yet satisfied and happy and it made her want to turn it all into something comfortable, to rest her head on Joohyun’s shoulder and embrace her, hold her, cherish her, cherish the moment. For when could Wendy ever have this privilege again? The temporary privilege granted by alcohol.

This had to stop, right? But why was it so hard to let go? Hnng. Yes! Stop. This wasn’t right. Phone! To call the driver, yes?

Ms. Bae’s shoulder bag rested near her very nice, cute, well-shaped hips and Wendy reached her hand to them, erhm, to the bag, but their hugging position had made it difficult to locate the phone. So Wendy tugged Ms. Bae closer, unknowingly, Wendy’s neck craning out of Ms. Bae’s shoulder. She was more focused on the phone that was buried deep within the bag than on the soft, tangible very woman of a body that now were of no centimetres apart from hers.

Wendy rummaged through the bag then exclaimed as she felt the coldness of the metal in her hands. She held her face back, away from Ms. Bae’s shoulder, ready to dial a number but as soon as she did, her eyes met another pair of eyes, though they were very much alcohol-fumed. But despite the toxicity evident in those eyes, Wendy knew she was looking at Irene’s eyes, at Joohyun’s eyes, at something genuine and real and not at something…intoxicated.

And for a brief moment, Wendy was sure that Joohyun was sober, staring right back at her, intensely as if she was searching for something within Wendy. And time seemed to have slowed down just as how Wendy’s mind had completely shut down as Joohyun inched closer and closer, those lips reaching in…

And the phone rang. Wendy looked at the caller ID: Grandmother.

Wendy gulped. There was a jolt of panic rushing in so she pushed the koala Joohyun away from her, but just enough to have some space for a phone call; koala Joohyun was very adamant, her fingers still interlocked around Wendy’s waist, refusing to let go.

“H-Hello? This is Son Wendy, personal assistant of Ms. Bae, speaking. Ms. Bae can’t come to the phone right now. I can relay the message to Ms. Bae for you, Chairwoman Bae,” Wendy said.

The voice on the other side was chilling, raspy, ripe from years and years of experience in life and in the tough world of business. It was far more frightening, far more menacing, and definitely much more commanding than Ms. Bae’s that it was as if a cobra was hissing right at Wendy’s ear. The goosebumps on Wendy’s arms were inevitable.

Wendy swallowed the fear. “I-I understand, Chairwoman Bae. I-I will make sure it happens.”

The call ended and Wendy stood there, unmoving, paralysed. She could feel a noose on her neck, tightening with each breath and she struggled for air. This was the first time she spoke to the chairwoman and she could feel the power in the chairwoman’s voice, choking and suffocating, much more so than when Ms. Bae talks to Wendy, making Ms. Bae almost seem like an angel in comparison.

There was warmth that cupped her cheek and she looked at the woman in front of her. Eyebrows furrowed. Worried. Eyes that were gentle. Sober. Or so Wendy thought. Because Joohyun’s face was different. A bit serious and sincerely concerned. She spoke and the slur proved Wendy wrong.

“Ish everything fine, Wendy-ssi?”

Wendy smiled. She grabbed Joohyun’s hand that cupped her cheek and squeezed it before putting it down and letting it go, with much regret. This wasn’t right. “Irene, your grandmother called.”

“Grandmother? Halmeoni?” Irene pulled a face like she had just eaten something sour. “I don’t like her, Wendy-ssi. She’s mean to Baechu.”

“She’s your family though, Irene. Come on, let’s go home. She told me that the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter