Chapter 30

I Hate But Love My Boss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

XXX.

'This is it, huh.'

'Months of preparation, all those sleepless nights.. they all broil down to this. A speech, some pictures.'

'Doesn't sound like much.'

'No, not really. But, it's the impact. It starts here. Now, now. Don't look nervous. You'll be great!'

'Supportive as always, Irene. Thanks. I'll see you in a bit.' Wendy gave a peck, smiled, took a breath then headed for the podium. In an instant, her vision was flooded with flashing lights that she had to squint her eyes just to be able to see. But soon enough, her vision adjusted. This was it. This was her moment. She couldn't afford to look unprepared.

She cleared then spoke, "Hello, everyone. My name is Seungwan Son and I am standing here before you to talk about the future of Nexon Electronics."

More flashes. The hectic sounds of clicks, shuffling movements from eager reporters. They all drowned the hall and it seemed as if the microphone wasn't working for a moment. No one seemed to hear her. But they did. They waited months for this.



* * *



"How did we get here?" Joy asked, sitting on a table with Miss Kang, watching what seemed like a Miss Wendy about to take off for success. Was this how it was supposed to be? She stared at her hand then at the hand that cradled hers.

Miss Kang glanced her way and rubbed Joy's hand with her thumb. The sparks. A jolt of shock. Literally. "Strange, right? One day we were just acquaintances using the same lift and then now... something more. Bizarre how things work. How time flies and because of it, we can't even discuss or delve into it further."

"Bewitching spell, I'd say."

Miss Kang laughed. "You don't even know, darling. But it's you who has bewitched me." She kissed the back of Joy's hand. "After this, want to go somewhere?"

"Don't you have to be a supportive friend to Miss Son or something like that? Isn't that how friendships work?"

"Oh you. You're like a newborn! I've been supportive enough, I think."

"Hold on, hold on. Investing money doesn't count as supportive."



* * *
 


Wendy gave a smile. Behind the curtains, Irene looked on proudly. Oh, she's doing so well.

"It wasn't an easy ride, of course, as what many starter businesses can account for," Wendy explained. "But if it wasn't for the help of my loved ones, I wouldn't be here right now."

"Does this mean we will see a partnership between Kang Industries and Nexon Electronics?" a reporter in his mid-20s spoke up.

"Nexon Electronics are glad to have this partnership. Not only is Miss Kang a good friend but the vision of their company fits in really well with ours."

"Miss Son, from what I heard, you used to work for Miss Kang, right?" Another reporter. A brunette bobbed lady who looked like she did a lot of research.

"Yes, that's right. But I had no knowledge of her relation with Kang Industries. She never really spoke up about it and Kang Industries have always been a very, shall we say, mysterious, uhh... no, private company."

The same lady spoke up again. "Miss Kang and Miss Bae are really close friends and they work in Aeris together. From what I've heard, you used to work in Aeris too, right?"

"Yes. I was Miss Bae's personal assistant. I have fond memories of working there. You could say that I learnt very many valuable things over my time there. It's been a great experience."

"By experience, do you mean, that experience?" A reporter sniggered. A man who looked to be in his mid-30s with round glasses that framed sharp-slitted eyes, sitting on a rough bridge of a nose. His snigger just looked plain nasty. Like a creepy geezer whose hobby involved peeping at the windows of young ladies' rooms. Everything about him looked pointed—his nose, chin, eyes, ears. Just one look and it was visible that he was working for some dodgy newspaper.

But, Wendy was ready for this. Seasoned as she was, she remained calm. There was nothing that could ever shook her anymore as much as she's shook by Irene's clingy yet cardiac arrest-inducing advances to her.

"I'm sorry," Wendy said. "But, I'm here to strictly talk about business. Nothing more."

Mr. Pointy insisted, persistent on catching her out. "It is related to your business, isn't it? Because your relationship with Ms. Bae is more than just business associates, am I right?"

Irene was seething in anger. The nerve of this geezer to go there! There was a line between work and personal matters and that question crossed it. But as she was about to head out, she realised something. This is Wendy's fight. This is her press conference about her company. She needs to stand up for herself so geezers like him won't think she is weak and reliant. I must not interrupt this moment or else all that Wendy has worked for will have gone to waste. All those six months of sleepless nights, of endless meetings and paperworks will be ridiculed and diminished. Irene paused and looked on to Wendy, whose stance hadn't changed, and whose expression remained p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter