Chapter 26

I Hate But Love My Boss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

XXVI.

Irene had descended down the steps of the hotel building, rushing to get a cab to go to the hospital with. Seulgi had phoned her, sounding so jittery and in panic, which was rightly called for, considering the situation.

Her grandmother was on her way to the hospital. The same hospital where Wendy stayed and recuperated. Out of all the times!

Just how did her grandmother know where Wendy was? And how did she know to come there at this time when Irene was here, far from Wendy, far from being able to protect her? Did she plan all of this?

But Wendy and Irene had been separated for the last three years? Why not see her then? Was it because there would be no point considering Wendy had no intention then of seeing Irene anymore? And Wendy passing out was a total accident. She couldn’t have known beforehand.

No… her grandmother couldn’t have planned it all from the beginning. She was just quick to catch on. She had eyes, ears wherever and whenever she wanted to, especially when it came to her one and only granddaughter—the only bloodline she had left.

Her grandmother watched her more often now especially knowing that Irene was coming to that age: the age fit for marriage. Marriage was an opportunity most definitely needed to be seized, in her grandmother’s opinion. Marriage meant contracts and nothing more but contracts to them, to the rich. A chance to expand the business and connect two strong families together and her grandmother wanted nothing more but those.

Irene extended her hand but no cabs willed to stop her way. Crazy rush hour. Lunch times were always a hustle.

This wouldn't do. Would Wendy be able to handle it? Would she be able to handle Irene's grandmother? Most likely not. Not when she was in that state—fragile and scared as if everything around her was unstable and crumbling and one wrong word could set her falling into oblivion. It was all the stress, having too much on her plate, on her hands—on her shoulders. Being in charge of a company all so suddenly. A company cultivated by an estranged father that turned up out of the blue, asking for the family tree to be redrawn once more and include Wendy and Wendy's mother and sister.

Irene recalled the phone earlier—the one she made after meeting Director Kim. She thought Wendy would be overjoyed about it. That finally there would be none of those annoying arranged marriages. That this meeting would be her very last.

Announcing it was difficult, of course, but Irene had to gain courage otherwise she and Wendy would be living huddled in fear for the rest of their lives. And why should they when they were just two people who loved and treasured each other? When both of them put a smile on each other’s faces? Was that so wrong?

But Wendy detested it. Irene could tell Wendy’s fear, could hear it from the panic in her voice over the phone. Oh dear. Irene would definitely need to give an explanation for what she had just done. Make Wendy understand that all of this is for the good of both of them. Tackle the world hand in hand, yes?

Damn cabs. What would it take for them to notice that a passenger was in need of a transport right here?

Oh wait.

Maybe in the sort of shambles Irene was in, she had forgotten for a moment that she was the CEO of a globally accomplished company. She could just phone for her driver. Why was she wasting time and energy standing out on her Jimmy Choo’s just outside the hotel entrance, an arm flailed forwards, pleading for cabs to come her way when she could just phone for someone to pick her up? What a peasant thing to do!

But right… She couldn’t phone for her driver. Her driver didn’t come to Korea. Her only driver was Secretary Cyborg instead and the last time Irene checked, Secretary Cyborg was on her grandmother’s side. Why would she take Irene to the hospital knowing that Irene would just get in the way of her grandmother?

“Oh my—!” Irene shrieked. Did people in Korea just freely drive wherever they could? This driver was totally going to get it.

The window of the rude car lowered as the person riding inside peeked out. Thank God! The heaven was on Irene’s side today.

“Seulgi!” Irene bellowed.

“Irene, get in!”

“Oh, I’m so glad to see you!” Irene got in the car and sat at the back seat. She looked at the driver’s seat and then tilted her head in confusion. Secretary Cyborg being obedient? What gives?

“What’s up with her, Seulgi? This is scaring me.”

“Who?”

Irene pointed with her lips. Seulgi was always so slow to catch on.

“Oh, well… I asked her for a favour.”

Irene raised an eyebrow. “O…kay?”

“Yeah,” Seulgi said, all perky and chirpy as usual. “Joy is a really nice person once you get to know her.”

Joy, being caught by the word ‘nice’, glanced sideways to where it came from and realising too late that she shouldn’t have glanced, she shouldn’t have looked, because right there, she was confronted with those bright, smiling eyes—the same eyes that gave off that odd warmth and reassurance. Strange… Another odd thing to add on top of the oddly warm touch that lingered on her hand even until now and the oddly cute, pleading puppy dog eyes that was sort of oddly hypnotising in some way. Joy cleared and Irene swore she saw the reddening of ears. Okay, what?

“We do not have much time. I suggest we leave, yes?” Joy asked.

“Yes, of course,” Seulgi answered.

 

* * *

 

Back at the hotel, in the traditional Korean room, two men were brooding deeply.

The first man was Director Kim. He was pondering about the nonsense he had just heard a few minutes ago. Gay? Preposterous! Miss Irene Bae was gay? Well, that was definitely something. Who would have known, eh?

The second man sat to his right. It was his son, Jin. The same man who was supposedly to be betrothed to the same woman who had just admitted a few minutes ago that she was gay. Jin felt relieved about the confession. How brave of her, he thought. If only he had the same courage as Miss Bae.

The confession made the room felt stuffier than before, as if a cloud of uncertainty, thick as a fog, bounded the two brooding men to remain in where they sat. The thick fog shrouded what was beyond and only cleared to reveal nothing more but further curiosities that would probably never get answered until time bided it.

Director Kim sipped his tea and placed it down gently on the table. “What do you make of that son, eh?”

Jin, astonished by the sudden lightness in his father’s words, raised his eyebrows and asked, “What do you mean by that, father?”

“You got rejected… not because she had another guy she liked... but because…”

“Father… please…”

“You got rejected because of a girl, son. I’m sorry but pffft—”

“Father!”

“It’s an interesting development. An influential figure such as Ms. Bae admitting that she prefers women more than men… Well, other influential figures have done the same as her in the past and nothing but support they have gained.”

“So… you support this?”

“Do I support it.... that is the question. One thing is for sure, though…”

“Father, please. It’s not that funny.”

“Pfft—I’m sorry, son. I just cannot—puhahaha!!”

“Father…”

“Ehem, ehem. Anyway, does it matter if I support it or not? Ms. Bae looked so determined, so convicted at her decision that I do not think even what Chairwoman Bae says or do will be able to change her mind.”

“She was that sure, huh?”

“That is what love is son. It offers certainty even if the path that lies ahead is uncertain.”

 

* * *

 

The car journey to the hospital didn’t take long, but for Irene, time felt stretched, as dread built its way up to , making it hard to swallow, to breathe. She should’ve expected this. Her grandmother would soon seek her out—seek Wendy out, in this case—to seek out answers to this ridiculousness, as sweet and delightful and amazing as it all was.

Falling in love with Wendy was just pure magnificence. Perfection right at its co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter