Six.

The Specials

Small balls of light shot out from Baekhyun’s hands, fast and relentlessly towards Minseok, who dived out of the way, shooting a few large icicles back in return that Baekhyun only just managed to dodge.

“That the best you got?” Baekhyun panted. He was kneeling with one knee on the soggy grass, his damn hair falling into his eyes from the rain. He knew Minseok had the advantage in this fight thanks to the weather, but Baekhyun was a decent fighter.

Minseok smirked as the rain drops around Baekhyun began turning into hail, “There’s so much more I’ve got, Baek” he said.

They were practicing one on one for the first hour of their lesson before they moved on to teams in the second. They’d done team fights before, of course, but never as twelve. A few of the off-duty guards had volunteered to fight them. It was more than likely that they’d get their asses handed to them in the first few fights, but it was about learning, when push came to shove. The quicker they learnt, the more they could practice, the better they’d be.

“If you can play dirty,” Baekhyun hissed, “So can I!”

There was something in the younger boy’s eyes that told Minseok this wasn’t going to be good. Baekhyun looked as though he wasn’t really there anymore. His mind had taken him back to another place, and he was afraid to be there.

There was a yelp of surprise from Minseok as Baekhyun leapt up to his feet and threw his head backwards, his arms spreading out as he did. There was a faint glow at first, and Baekhyun was heating up at a dangerous pace, and then he was like a beacon of light, his whole body had become blurred and a searing hot heat shone out of his body as though there was a piece of the sun stood with them.

Everyone had fallen to the ground at this point, the scolding light was spreading over the field, and then in the next moment, it snapped back, and it was almost too dark as the rain continued to beat down on them. They all slowly began to stand again, looking at Baekhyun in a mix of fear and awe.

Baekhyun could hear his pulse racing in his ears, could feel the way his heart hammered as if it were going to break out of his chest.

He hadn’t meant to lose control like that, but one minute he’d been looking at Minseok, and the next he could see dirty black walls and those people hovering over him again as a bucket of ice-cold water was tipped over his head.

He could see the frayed wires they were bringing closer, and closer to him, and hear the crackling of electricity that ran through them. That he knew was for him, and he needed to get out.

He had been back in that place, back to being helpless and he had lost it to the fear. But now reality was seeping back in and he realised what had happened.

What he had done.

Before Minho could say anything, Baekhyun fell to his knees and Kyungsoo was running over to him, managing to catch the older boy just by the skin of his teeth before he broke.

“Shh, Baek. Come on, it’s alright, it was just Minseok. It wasn’t them. It’s okay, they aren’t going to hurt you again. I won’t let that happen, okay? I promise” Kyungsoo soothed, holding Baekhyun tightly against his chest.

Baekhyun was shaking, and Kyungsoo doubted it was from the bitterly cold rain, “I’m sorry” he said, “I just… I didn’t mean to. I just, it came back to me and I didn’t kn-know what to do. God, I didn’t hurt anyone, did I?”

“You didn’t hurt anyone, Kid” Kris spoke softly, “If anything, I think you finally showed them not to take you, pardon the pun, lightly

Baekhyun let out a small laugh, wiping at his tears, “stop being nice to me” he said, “I don’t deserve it”

“No, you think you don’t deserve it. There’s a difference” Kyungsoo scolded him, “So relax, nobody’s going to hold it against you”

Minho walked over and helped Kyungsoo hike Baekhyun up and onto his feet again, “How are you feeling, Byun?” he asked.

“Aside from the mental scarring?” he sniffed, “Surprisingly okay”

Minho raised a brow, “you don’t feel drained after that? Baekhyun, that took a lot of power…”

Baekhyun nodded, wiping his face with his already soaked sleeve, “I know” he said, “But I honestly feel okay. Energised even. Lighter if you will”

“No more light jokes” Kyungsoo muttered, “Please, for the love of God.”

Baekhyun giggled softly at that.

“Well, maybe it’d still be better if you sat out of the group fights…” Minho suggested carefully.

Baekhyun’s head snapped around to look at his teacher, “Are you mental?!” he demanded, “I’m not sitting anything out! I’m fine. Look, I had a little set back because of some that’ll never leave me, and if I sit out every time it comes back, then how the hell will I get passed it? I came here to learn, and I’ll be damned if I don’t, you hear me?”

Minho’s lips quirked up at the corners proudly, “Loud and clear, Byun,” he grinned, “Alright, everyone into formation. Now!”

They all did as they were told, grouping together in time to see a mass of men walking across the field to them, closer and closer. The Guards.

“Hello boys,” one of the taller men said with a kind smile, “I’m Siwon. And these fellas are; Donghae, Hyukjae, Leeteuk, Zhoumi, Henry, Sungmin, Heechul, and Yesung. We’re here for a little… Friendly” he laughed softly.

“Hi,” Junmyeon stepped forward, “I’m Junmyeon. And these guys are; Kris, Zitao, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, Jongdae, Luhan, Sehun, Minseok, Yixing, and Jongin. Let’s make the most of this, eh?”

Minho rolled his eyes, but spoke up. “Okay, I’m going to watch the first fight, then I’ll come in and help you improve your technique, alright? Okay, off you go”

It was still for a while as each group took in the other, then there was a tut of impatience from Heechul, and a length of barbed wire hit Tao right in the chest. That was all it took for the fight to really begin.

Kris glared at Heechul before taking Jongdae’s hand and lifting him into the air, allowing the younger to direct a bolt of electricity straight at the metal controlling Guard.

At that, Henry flew up into the air and opened his mouth to let out a Banshee like screech, effectively sending Kris and Jongdae to the floor. In retaliation, Junmyeon sent a gush of water at Henry, and Minseok froze it around him, catching him off guard and sending him to the floor.

At the same time, Chanyeol and Hangeng  were sending flames at one another, trying to overpower the other as best they could. Donghae was shooting lazer-like discs from his hands towards Jongin, who would flit out of the way and shove him about each time.

Yesung had summoned a mass of locus to attack Baekhyun, but they had all been burnt to death by the light of his body.

Sungmin had vanished, but he was given away by the tell-tale squelching of the grass and mud beneath his invisible feet, which allowed Luhan to twist around him and fend off Zhoumi’s attacks of freezing water whilst Sehun unleashed windy hell on Sungmin and Heechul.

Yixing had managed to heal Tao in the midst of it all, and the two of them were fighing Leetuek, who could stretch and mould his limbs into unthinkable lengths and shapes, giving him a slight advantage until Tao, who had a better control of his powers now, slowed time and tangled the elder together using his own ability against him.

Beside them, Kyungsoo and Siwon were squaring off with each other.

“Wanna see my party trick?” Siwon smirked, and before Kyungsoo’s eyes, he became a beast of a man, formed entirely of rock.

Kyungsoo opened his mouth to shoot something witty back, but Jongdae had noticed the transformation and let out a high pitched laugh as he fought hand to hand with Hyukjae, “Oh god! Is this The Fantastic Four, now?” he jeered, dodging a punch from Hyukjae, “Please, I’m actually begging you,  can you say ‘it’s clobbering time!’?”

Hyukjae managed to land a punch to Jongdae chest, “Pay attention, stupid!”

“Worth it” Jongdae gasped, before making a swing for the elder.

“What… an idiot” Kyungsoo muttered under his breath.

Siwon snorted, “You’re telling me, kid” he agreed, but Kyungsoo only smirked back as the grin on Siwon’s rock face turned into a look of fright. “How are you..?” was all he could get out before crumpling to the ground back in his human form. “Earth…” Siwon gasped understandingly, the trace of a smile on his lips.

The fight waged on, but each team began to pull back together. The boys from EXO tried to hide their confusion as The Guards moved to stand behind Hyukjae, but then it all made sense as a thin, film like structure began to climb up and around them, and whatever was shot at them bounced back.

“I have an idea” Kyungsoo whispered, so that only his teammates could hear him, “I need a barrier in front of me so they can’t see what’s happening. And I need Chanyeol, Junmyeon and Sehun to come touch me”

Kris nodded, “You three, do as he says. The rest of you, form a line” he instructed, and they did just that. The looks of confusion on The Guards’ faces were a sight to see, but not one of the boys from EXO smiled or gave themselves away.

Behind the human line, the three requested had each placed a hand on Kyungsoo as he told them what was going to happen. It was a first time attempt, but Kyungsoo was confident with their elemental bond, it would work. He could feel their powers flowing through him and into the earth beneath them as the rain beat against his skin.

The ground began to rumble, and the next thing they knew, the ground within the shield was cracking, and the Guards were attacked with a mass of debris, wind, fire and water.

The shock of it was enough for Hyukjae to force the shield out, hard and fast, effectively sending the students of EXO hurtling backwards onto the floor, and causing the attack of the elements to die down.

Five seconds past and the boys were still scrambling to get up. They’d lost.

Still, there was a long, low whistle from Minho, who began to clap, “That was some fine work, boys” he said, “whose idea was the Elemental attack?”

“Kyungsoo’s” Jongin answered proudly, making Kyungsoo flush.

Minho nodded in approval,  even the Guards looked impressed, “Brilliant,” he said, “Absolutely brilliant. That was some quality teamwork I saw. But as always, I do have a few pointers” he grinned.

“Me too,” Siwon stepped forward, “and I’m sure my guys could help, too?”

Minho nodded, and with that, the lesson became something of trial and error. Fights and pointers.

Out of eleven fully raging battles, they won one. And to win against a group of trained fighters with decades more experience, even once, was something they were all over the moon about.

 

“I feel like soggy bread” Jongdae pulled a face as he and Minseok made their way to the showers, “Seriously."

Minseok gave him a patronizing pat on the back, “there, there” he yawned. They had an hour break until their next lesson, and had decided to make the most of it by showering so they wouldn’t catch colds. The others had had the same idea, but there were only a limited number of showers in the dorm, and Jongdae and Minseok thought it better to use the ones in the East Wing. They were holding their towels and spare clothes carefully, so not to get them wet as they walked, and Jongdae had been smart enough to grab a bar of soap too, before they’d left.

“I wish you’d stop that,” Jongdae said, feeling yet another icy touch down his wet back.

Minseok grinned back at innocently, “Do what?” be blinked, turning the small droplets of water on Jongdae’s back to ice again.

“You ” Jongdae said as they reached the shower rooms, and pushed inside, setting their clothes and towels on one of the shelves available.

“Maybe if you ask nicely” Minseok shot back at the pair began to undress

Jongdae nearly tripped over his own leg at hearing the words leave Minseok’s mouth, “You’ll be the death of me, Kim Minseok” he shook his head and one of the shower heads, letting the water heat up before standing under it as he placed the soap on the holder, then watched as Minseok did the same with the one beside his, “What do we have next?”

“Matters of the mind, and mind over matter, with Key” Minseok answered him, sighing contently at the warm water that fell over his sore body.

Jongdae hummed, reaching out to run his fingers over Minseok’s chest and stomach before stopping his hand back to his side.

A smile tugged at the corners of Minseok’s mouth as he reached out and gave Jongdae’s arm a soothing squeeze.

Jongdae smiled back at him sweetly as his hands moved to run over Minseok’s body. He paused briefly to take the soap from the holder before bringing it to Minseok’s body and washing him. Minseok let his eyes fall closed as Jongdae’s hands continued to roam about his person.

“That feels nice” he hummed, feeling Jongdae’s chest pressed against his own as the younger massaged soap into his lower back.

Jongdae made a small noise of content as he pressed a kiss to Minseok’s forehead, his hands slipping lower to rub soap over the elder’s perky cheeks, effectively pressing the elder more firmly against himself.

Minseok let his hands run gently up and down Jongdae’s sides. There was nothing ual about the situation, it was simply taking comfort in the other’s presence and enjoying the rare time they for to spend as just the two of them.

They were so caught up in other another that they didn’t notice Kyungsoo had walked in and was watching the pair in silent disbelief. It wasn’t that he was completely shocked by the idea of them, it was more at seeing such a different side to the pair. Seeing Jongdae so… gentle was new concept, and Minseok being so submissive was more foreign than Kyungsoo knew how to handle.

He remained still as he watched Minseok’s eyes open briefly to meet Jongdae’s, and then the pair leaned in for a sweet, wholesome kiss.

Kyungsoo felt like an intruder in the moment, so silently slipped out of the room to give them their privacy. He vowed to talk to Jongdae about it at a later date, and not tell a soul, since it was not his place, and the two of them had obviously kept it a secret for a reason.

Jongdae pressed one last lingering kiss to Minseok’s lips before he pulled away, “we should get a move on” he said with a reluctant sigh, “you know how Kibum gets if we’re late..” he went about washing himself after that, and Minseok rinsed himself of the soap suds.

“I swear it’s your fault he’s so strict now” Minseok said, letting the water run through his hair, “If you hadn’t of worked out how to manipulate your power in his lesson, he’d still be really laid back”

Jongdae shrugged with a grin directed at his lover, “eh, you win some, you lose some. It could have been worse” he laughed, shutting off the water.

Minseok followed suit and joined Jongdae in grabbing their towels and drying themselves off.

They shared a few more kisses as they got dressed, then took their wet clothes and towels to the laundry room, leaving them there for the ever helpful maid before heading to Key’s classroom to await their lesson.

They arrived shortly after Kyungsoo – who looked like the cat who had just got the cream – and Baekhyun. The four of them entered the room together to wait for the others and their teacher.

“What’s going on with you?” Minseok asked Kyungsoo as they sat down, “You look like you’ve just won the lottery or something”

Kyungsoo hummed, “Do I? Oh, no reason. Just in a good mood. Must be because we did pretty well in defence and attack today” he shrugged.

Minseok seemed to let it go at that, but Jongdae was definitely not convinced.

The others joined them shorty after that, with Key hot on their tails. “You’re lucky,” the teacher said to Chanyeol, “You were cutting it close there, Park”

Chanyeol gave him a nod then took his seat beside Baekhyun, “Sorry, sir”

“I’m sure” Key replied blandly before turning to address the whole room, “The mind is a delicate instrument. It is very easily manipulated and I shall teach you how to avoid falling into that trap. Mind readers exist. Mind control exists! And it ought not be taken lightly. Right now, for example, Mr Do is thinking about… Lava lamps. Thrilling, Kyungsoo. Really. And Mr Oh is thinking about… Oh, really Sehun. Get your mind out of the gutter. I’m sure Mr Lu looks lovely in nothing but a tutu, but nobody wants to be seeing that.”

“I wasn’t… I…” Sehun flushed a dark red as Luhan landed a hard punch on his arm.

Key smirked, “It’s dangerous to let people into your head. So we’re going to begin learning how shut them out. We know the why, so the how… Kyungsoo, what did it feel like when I was in your head just now?”

“You mean aside from uncomfortable?” The Earth Special shot back, “I don’t know, weird, like someone was inside my mind, but I couldn’t see them. You know, like that feeling that someone’s watching you. Only more… intense…”

Sehun nodded, “Yeah. Exactly like that” he agreed, rubbing his sore arm.

“Excellent” Key nodded, “So, any ideas on how we block the mind reader out?” he asked, only to be met with silence, “Really? Nobody?”

“W-Well, essentially the mind reader is pushing in, right?” Jongin spoke hesitantly, “So when we feel them trying to… invade… we push back?”

Key hummed, “Interesting idea, and a really good guess, Jongin. But nine times out of ten, if a mind reader has pushed in, it’s practically impossible to push them out.” He explained, walking over to the chalk board and beginning to draw as he spoke, “Everyone is built with a mental shield if you will. Your mind will always be your most dangerous weapon, but it can also be your most dangerous liability. If you let it be. When you learn how, putting up that barrier will be second nature. Like breathing. But learning how to access that pat of you can be tricky if you don’t have the right help. Luckily for you guys, you do. That is where I come in. It could take as fast as ten minutes for some, for others it could take days… I’m going to bring you up one by one over the next few lessons. Together we’ll bring up that barrier. And be warned, I will check regularly to make sure you’re putting it up once you know how.

 “Alright, Yixing, let’s go. The rest of you take out your books and read chapter six. Discussion is fine, but keep it quiet” he finished, and then he and Yixing disappeared into his office, which resided at the top end of the classroom.

There was a window, allowing them to see into Key’s office. Both the teacher and Yixing looked very serious as they spoke to one another. As they went on, Yixing began to look more frustrated, and Key rather smug about something, which made the other boys feel rather uneasy. Key wasn’t known for being delicate about his teaching methods. He had a theory that if it got the job done then it was a method worth using. He didn’t spare feelings.

It was half an hour before Yixing returned to the class, looking a little proud of himself, but mostly just fed-up.

“He’s bloody ruthless” he said as he sat down beside Jongin, “Bloody ruthless. He goes after the thing you least want people to know. Or makes you relive what you want to forget… God, teaching at its finest” he hissed, “Dae, you’re up next. He said to tell you to go right in.”

Jongdae got up and awkwardly made his way to Key’s office, his heart racing as he did.

“Good luck!” Tao called after him, already dreading his own turn.

But none of them were dreading it as much as Baekhyun. After the day he’d been having, he didn’t know if he’d be able to take another mental blow, and if what Yixing was saying was true, then he knew just where Key was going to target him.

Twenty minutes and Jongdae was out looking surprisingly spry, “It’s pretty bad” he admitted, “He really doesn’t care what you don’t want him to see” he shot Baekhyun a sympathetic look, “He wants you now, pal” he urged gently.

Baekhyun didn’t move at first, but then Kyungsoo was in front of him, holding Baekhyun’s face in his hands, “Baek, you can do this, okay? You’ve got nothing to worry about. Nothing can hurt you in there” he whispered so that only his best friend could hear, “I’ll be right out here, don’t worry” he pressed a gentle kiss to Baekhyun’s forehead before urging him towards Key’s office, doing his best to hide his worry for the other boy as he did.

He slowly entered the office, feeling like he was walking to his own execution, which he knew logically was ridiculous, but there were a lot of things in life he really didn’t want to relive, and the things he knew Key would go for, were just them.

“Baekhyun” Key said lowly, “Take a seat, and show me your mind”

Baekhyun said nothing as he closed the door behind himself and sat opposite Key. He shot a look out of the window to see Kyungsoo watching him, his brows furrowed with concern. It was bad enough he was stressing himself out, but to push that onto Kyungsoo wasn’t fair. He shot the other boy a small smile before turning to look back at Key, not wanting to see Kyungsoo’s reaction.

“Before we start” Baekhyun said, surprising himself with how calm and even his voice was, “I know what you’re going to push to see, and I’d really appreciate it if you didn’t do that. I’ve had a pretty ty day as it is”

Key looked at him as though he was stupid, “Oh boohoo” he shot back, “Poor little you. People have tough days, so get over yourself, Byun. Do you think they’ll care about your delicate little feelings out there? No, no they won’t. So let’s begin”

It hit Baekhyun like a ton of bricks. One second he was staring at Key, trying to stop him from getting in with all his might, and the next it was like he was being shot, over and over, and over. He was spiralling into his memories, and he didn’t know if he’d ever get out. It felt so, very, very real.

Tears fell from his mother’s eyes as they took in the sight before them. A week ago his brother had been taken from his bed in the night. There was no note, nothing other than a smear of red staining the white sheets. But they’d remained hopeful that a ransom note would come. Anything, anything just to let them know he was safe.

But now, they knew he was anything but. Pinned to the tree in their front garden was his brother’s lifeless body, his ear missing, and his face bruised and swollen. His clothes were a tattered mess, stained with thick clots of dried blood.

Baekhyun could stand it, he fell to his hands and knees and threw up everything that was inside him, until only the acid from his stomach was being spat from his nose and mouth. He could hear his mother’s screaming sobs ringing in his ears, and the sound of his father collapsing beside him.

He threw up again.

“Stop!” Baekhyun choked out, “Please stop”

Key growled, “YOU THINK THEY’LL LISTEN TO YOU OUT THER” He shouted at Baekhyun, “PROTECT YOURSELF, BYUN, FOR ’S SAKE!”

Another stab into his head and Baekhyun let out a scream of pain at the memories that surfaced thanks to his teacher.

There was something over his mouth, stopping him from crying out for his mother, stopping him from breathing. A hand. A hand that was caked in dirt and congealed blood.

“Quiet now” said a rough voice, “Wouldn’t want to wake mummy and daddy”

And then he was being gagged and shoved into a brown, itchy sack before being tossed into the back of a truck. It felt like forever that he was in there, and when he finally got harshly pulled out of the sack, he longed to be back in it, longed for every bruise inducing bump in the road.

“Hello pretty” a man’s voice leered, “Oh, you look so like your big brother. I hope you like to play more than him though. Hardly made a sound, your brother. Even his tears were silent. A shame really,” he sighed, “I like hearing the screams”

The sting hit Baekhyun like nothing else as a hand made impact with his cheek, the metal ring on one of the man’s fingers splitting Baekhyun’s lip, making him cry out in pain.

“Oh, you’re going to be a fun one… I can tell”

“Please…” Baekhyun cried, “Please…”

The men in the room all laughed as he was tied to a chair with wet rope - they obviously knew what they were doing – and hit again. “Plenty time for more soon, poppet”

Baekhyun fought back the sobs that wanted to leave him. If his bother could be strong, so could he… but then, look where it had gotten him.

A sack was placed over his head as something crushed one of his fingers, he couldn’t fight back the scream.

“STOP, GOD PLEASE STOP!” Baekhyun wailed, screeching in pain, “Please…”

“They won’t care Baekhyun! They won’t stop when you beg them too out there!” Key yelled back, and he was thankful for the sound proof walls of his office. He knew the other boys were looking at them, not even feigning to read anymore, and he knew that Kyungsoo was being held back by Chanyeol and Kris, but it didn’t matter. He was there to teach.

“I KNOW!” Baekhyun screamed back, his eyes red raw and wet as he glared into Key’s soul, “CAN’T YOU ING SEE THAT I KNOW!”

“YES I SEE! THAT’S EXACTLY THE PROBLEM. BLOCK ME OUT!” Key snapped nastily. Delving into Baekhyun’s mind once again.

“Aaaaaaaaahhhhh” Baekhyun could feel the dryness of his throat as he screamed in pain before it turned into a cough. It wasn’t the first time he’d felt the blood tear from his throat and out of his mouth to drip down his face, colouring his teeth a harsh red.

There was a malicious laugh from beside his ear, “Oh pretty baby, you’ve not had enough have you? We’re just getting started…”

He was soaking wet, in a shallow puddle of water. There were metal shackles on his wrists, keeping him in place.

Above him stood one of the many men that had been torturing him for the last three weeks. Rubber boots on his feet and a live cable in his hands, crackling at the end.

With a smirk he pressed it to the water that Baekhyun was sat in, and the current pulsed through the young boy, bringing forth another cry of pain. He was just thirteen years old, and he didn’t know if he’d live to see his fourteenth birthday at this rate.

“we’ll be writing to mummy and daddy tomorrow, baby Byun” a woman’s voice purred from the corner of the room, “letting them know what fun we’ve been having”

The man had long since taken away the wire, but Baekhyun was still twitching, “Why…” he whispered, “Why are you doing this?”

“Didn’t you hear?” the woman laughed, her voice could have been pretty if it had not held such malice, “It’s fun”

“Please don’t do this…” Baekhyun whimpered, “Please…”

“Put him back in his cell for now, Dragon” she sighed, “Baby is playing on my nerves. We’ll bring him out to play again later. Send a picture of his face to his parents  once he’s in his cell”

“But it looks fine?” Dragon replied.

“Then fix it!” The woman snapped, and the next thing Baekhyun knew, his shackles were gone, but there were a heavy punch being landed on his face.

He screamed as he heard a loud crack echo through the room and a blinding pain took over him, causing his entire body to heat up.

“You ing little ! You burnt me!” the man growled, hitting Baekhyun again and again, “don’t you dare ing pull anything like that again! I’ll kill you myself, you ungrateful brat!”

Baekhyun spat out a clot of blood to one side, “I’m ungrateful for not thanking my abuser? What was I thinking” he croaked, “I’m terribly sorry”

“Look, kid” the guy whispered into Baekhyun’s eat scathingly, “If you know what’s good for you, you’ll keep your mouth shut. The more you talk, the longer they’ll drag this out. Wouldn’t you rather die fast?”

Baekhyun coughed again, white dots clouding his already terrible vision, “M’not gonna die here” he got out, “M’not gonna die… not here…”

“You’re a fool, kid”

“No more…” Baekhyun gasped, trying to catch his breath, “Please… No more…”

“Not until you protect yourself from me!” Key snapped, “Again!”

“Key, please… Please, I can’t”

“I said again!”

“No! Nooo-”

He could barely breathe, but he pushed on through the night. He’d been there for over a year, but he’d survived. He was alive, and he was out.

He’d been walking around the streets aimlessly for a week now, but only at night, under the cover of darkness. He looked a mess, and he knew it. He was too skinny, with no shoes and tattered, bloody clothes.

He was sure that a few of his ribs were cracked, and he knew that his face was a broken picture. He thought he remembered being called handsome by the girls back at school, but it might have been a dream, he didn’t really know anymore.

He didn’t know anything anymore. He’d been trapped for so long.

He could hardly even remember his escape. He knew that the woman had been distracted, and left his cage unlocked. She hadn’t seen him crawl out until he was almost at the door.

She’d screamed for him to stop, screamed for the men to grab him, but he’d been determined. It was funny how adrenaline could perk you up even when you were on death’s doorstep.

He’d screamed back, loud and long, and his body had bust into a million broken rays of light. He remembered there had been a lot of screaming, and the smell of burning flesh had invaded his nostrils as he returned to normal.

There was more screaming, but he hadn’t stayed to listen, instead he had turned and ran whilst he still could.

He walked along the dark roads, the soles of his feet sore and bleeding. That’s when he’d found him. The other boy.

“Why are you crying?” Baekhyun asked, his voice rough from disuse.

The boy looked up at him with wide, bright eyes, “I’m afraid” he said back, “Why do you look like that”

“I knew some bad people” Baekhyun answered, “They weren’t too kind to me. Why are you afraid?”

The boy hesitated, but then seemed to relax a little as Baekhyun took a seat beside him in the ditch beside the road, “I watched my parents die a couple weeks ago. I have nowhere to go now…”

“I don’t either” Baekhyun said, “Maybe we should stick together? I could even be a nightlight if you’re afraid too much” he smiled, flinching slightly at the sting from his lip, then lifted his hand to create a small ball of light.

“You’re like me…” the boy gasped, “I control the Earth, though. What’s your name?”

Baekhyun smiled sadly, “I… I think it’s Baekhyun” he said.

“You think?”

“It’s been a long time since anyone called me by my proper name” Baekhyun admitted, “It was just my last name for a long time. A lot’s happened in the past… God, I don’t even know how long it’s been…”

The boy looked very sad at that, he carefully wrapped an arm around Baekhyun’s wounded frame, “I have some food… Would you like it?”

Baekhyun looked on the verge of tears at the kindness of the stranger, “Do you really mean that?” he asked in shock.

The boy nodded, “Of course. You look like you need it more than I do” he said softly, “But don’t cry, Baekhyun. We’ll take care of each other from now on, okay? I promise” the boy said, pressing a very soft, innocent kiss to Baekhyun’s bruised cheek.

“Wait, what’s your name?” Baekhyun asked, his voice a whisper from the hurt in his throat.

“I’m Kyungsoo…”

Baekhyun screamed and pushed the prying eyes away. He would not let them peak at this. Not this.

“It worked…” Key whispered in shock, “You didn’t just block me, you pushed me out… Holy …”

Baekhyun was seething, it took him all he had not to lunge for the teacher right then and there, “You were right about one thing, Kibum.” He hissed, “Nobody is getting in my head again. Ever. And don’t look so ing proud of yourself. You’re just as bad as them for doing that to me. There were other ways and you ing know it! If I could, I’d drop this class, because what you just did… I hate you for it, mental protection or not”

“Baekhyun, I was only doing it to help you” Key sighed, running a hand through his hair as he watched tears of anger slide down Baekhyun’s chin and drip, drip, drip to the floor.

“Help me?” Baekhyun spat, “You knew. You knew what I’d been through. Only a real monster would make me relive that. You repulse me” he said, and with that, he his heel and walked out of the office, feeling like he could kill anyone that tried to go against him in that moment.

Byun Baekhyun was sure about one thing. Nobody, and he meant nobody, was ever going to make him feel weak again, and he would make damn sure of it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Poor Baekhyun, right?
This was a rollercoaster from start to end to write

Drop me a comment and let me know what
you thought.

Much love~
Until next time<3