Chapter 3 : Breaking through

Flustered and Naive

When Tzuyu returns she sees Momo speaking to Mina. She couldn't hear a word they were saying, because the rest of the group had also arrived, and the laughter was eardeafening. Mina is shaking her head and gesturing with her hands in swift motions. 
"Hey, where were you?" Sana quips from beside Tzuyu.
"Er, bathroom." She answers, her eyes fastened on the blonde at the other side of the room. 
"You do your best at, you know? I need to talk to you later about something." Sana whispers, her teeth visible from the smile that spread across her face. Tzuyu nods as a response, and her palms become sweaty with anxiety- this is just too much.

"Alright, everyone stop ing around- Dahyun let Chaeyoung go!" Jihyo yells, and Chaeyoung manages to wriggle herself out of Dahyuns hard grip. Dahyun pouts and crosses her arms.
"No fun!" She groans. Chaeyoung sticks her tongue out at Dahyun. Dahyun won't waste a second and does the same.
"These morons, I can't even." Jihyo mumbles and shakes her head in disbelief.

After Jihyo has given them their commands they get to practice. Tzuyu decides to follow Sana's advice, she needs to get closer to Momo, so she tip toes, bit by bit over to her. Hoping that no one will notice, she keeps as close as she possible to Momo. Unfortunately, Momo notices. She looks completely weirded out, Tzuyu tries her best at smiling at her, but she suspects it looks nothing like an actual smile. More like a stupid grin. A really, really, stupid grin.

"Tzuyu, what are you doing over there? Get back into your position!" Jihyo yells over the loud music. Nayeon, Mina, and Jeongyeon turn around and look at Tzuyu with questioning glares. Sana avoids looking as best she can, and Tzuyu bores her eyes into the back of Sana's head, hoping that she would come to her rescue and fix things. She feels her ears becoming heated. The palms of her hands couldn't be any sweatier, it was impossible.

"Sorry, I just got a bit lost." She tries yelling back, her voice a few pitches higher than usual, and her voice cracks a bit. Oh god, please let me forget about this.

After scrambling back into her position, Tzuyu was deeply distraught for the rest of the exercise. Momo's dancing, the thing she with her- god. It's just so, so - distracting? Not to mention the utter humiliation Tzuyu had to try and cope with. Everything was going to the gutter, she was failing the mission, and making a fool of herself at the same time. God, when did everything become so complicated? Why cant I let this stupid thought go. Why? Why?

When practice finally ends Sana walks right up and yanks Tzuyu to the side. It's a little painful, but bearable. The both of them watch as the others leave. Tzuyu kept focusing on Momo's retreating back until the second she passes out through the doors.
"Okay, so here's what happened-"

 


 

"Mina-chan, have you talked to Momo lately?~" Sana chirps as she stretches on top of her bed. Mina continues brushing her hair, not even bothering to give Sana a look of recognitiong. 
"Yeah, of course I have" Mina huffs, dark violet strands of hair falling back into place. 
"So, has she said anything about Chewy? I mean, about them being roomates. Because it's kind of weird, isn't it?" Sana twiddles with her thumbs and hums for a few seconds.
"I thought for sure she would pick you, and that I would get to stay with Chewy. Were'nt you shocked?" Sana rolls on top of her stomach and rests her chin against the palms of her hands. Mina stops brushing her hair, and slowly turns around. Her face is super pale.
"No, I don't think that's weird at all, why would it be? It's not like she had some ulterior motive or anything. They're friends, we're all friends. Twice, right? Ahahaha~" Mina stiffly stands up and practically runs to take shelter inside the bathroom again, locking the door shut tight behind her.

 


 

"I think Mina knows something. I think she might be an accomplice. We need to grill her for information, hard. Interrogation style. With the lamp and the good cop-bad cop thing." Sana rants, she's actually becoming sort of scary.

"Hold on, wait, we don't need to go that far, right?" Tzuyu is utterly befuddled, she can't be serious right now, can she?

"Yeah, sure we do. We just get some electric tape and some-"

"No, please don't! You have to be kidding me?" Tzuyu puts her hands on Sana's shoulders, trying to make her understand how crazy this is, how crazy she's acting.

"Aww, you're no fun. So what do I do? Do I keep grilling her?" Sana looks hopeful, eyes wide and bright like giant saucers. If life was an anime there would be literal stars in her eyes.

"We dont even know if-"

"Of course she is, Tzuyu, look at the facts! She was obviously hiding something! So is Momo! Come on, get on board, are we doing this or not?" Sana is getting frustrated, and it's starting to show. Tzuyu feels like things are going to far, like Sana might actually do something stupid if she lets her. But Sana is right, things are definitely getting more and more suspicious. And Tzuyu's beginning to feel scared that they might be planning to pull a prank on her. Tzuyu hates pranks, Dahyun always comes up with really weird ones. Like the time she put 460 small plastic cups of water around Tzuyu's bed at night. When she woke up she tripped and the water went everywhere. Where did she even get all those cups?

Tzuyu hesitates for a few seconds, but agrees unwillingly. She doesn't want Momo to pull something on her. She didn't think that Momo or Mina would do something like that, but she wouldn't know, she's not that close to them.

"Okay, great! Soo.. I'll investigate Mina. And you promise, you'll try even harder at sorting Momo out, got it?"

"I promise, I'll try even harder." Tzuyu nods, her resolve lacking, but she wanted to do good for Sana, and for herself. She wanted to get a clear view of what was going on, she didn't want to feel like she was in the dark of things anymore..

"So, hey, before I go. Did anything happen earlier? Between you and Momo? I mean, did she like, hit on you or something? Is she, uh, so to speak.. infatuated with you?" Sana adds, her eyebrows elevated. Tzuyu instanly feels her ears and cheeks becoming hotter. She shakes her head furiously, afraid that her voice might rat her out, that Sana would know all the things that Tzuyu had felt. That I kind of want her to.

Sana looks skeptical to her very core, like she wouldn't believe a word coming out of Tzuyu's mouth right now. Yet she still asks-

"You would tell me, right? We have a mission, remember?" Tzuyu nods in a flash.

"Of course, of course, absolutely, you know it." Tzuyu knows her voice is giving her out, she knows that Sana knows. But she doesn't push the subject any further and because of that, Tzuyu is grateful.

"When did you get so into this anyway?" Tzuyu wonders out loud, after calming herself down a tad.

"Well, I don't know. But it's exciting, isn't it? Like a game!" Sana looks ecstatic once again. Boy, she sure changes moods in the blink of an eye. Tzuyu smiles, she can't help it. When Sana smiles like that, it doesn't matter if everything goes to s. Sana would've had a fun time, and that makes everything worth it.

 


 

When Tzuyu arrives back at her room, Momo is nowhere to be seen. Maybe she's over at Mina's, scheming and planning, just like me and Sana. 

The thin sheet of sweat covering her body had turned kind of uncomfortable, so she decides to take a shower. Momo isn't around, so everything should be just fine. Without thinking much, she grabs her towel and heads into the small bathroom, locking it behind her. A large mirror covers the entirety of the wall above the sink, and unlike the rest of the building, this room seems to be newly renovated. It smells like soap and some type of clay. Gray stone tiles line the floors and the walls, and spotlights illuminate the small room. There's only glass walls to cover the shower cubicle, and Tzuyu feels very exposed the same instant she peels her clothes off of herself. She checks the lock once more, just to be sure, before she steps inside the shower. 

As thick, hot streams of water cascade over her head and back, she feels her muscles release their tension. She relishes against the feel of cleanliness and warmth. She makes quick work of her needs, lathering schampoo and excessive amounts of strawberry conditioner into her hair. When she's done, she stands in the shower for a while longer. She hadn't known that all her anxiety and confusion had made her so tense. But after relaxing in the shower, she knew she had to make this a daily habit if she was going to make it through this camp. Just as she was about to turn the handle of the shower, she sees Momo's peach schampoo. She hesitates, before reaching towards it. I'm crazy, this is crazy, stop this madn- oh god, that smells so good.

Tzuyu feels guilty as she inhales the scent of the peach schampoo. People don't go sniffing around each others schampoo's. That's really creepy, stop this right now. Unless.. you just really like the smell of peaches. It has nothing to do with Momo. Yeah, that's it. I just like peaches, that's fine. 

Tzuyu is careful as she puts the schampoo back and gets out of the shower. She smeares away some steam from the mirrors, and back at her looks a young girl, glistening and tinted with a slight pink. After drying herself with her towel, and using some of the inn's moisturizer, she realized that she had forgotten to bring clothes with her. Momo can't be back yet, it hasn't even been that long. 

Wrapped in a towel, she walks out of the bathroom door. She just about has time to register the situation before a mess of blonde hair has fallen off their bed and onto the floor with a violent thud. Her heart stops beating, and she can't breathe.

"Oh my god! Tzuyu wha-what are you doing!?"
" Momo!? I was just- "
" Oh god! Tzuyu please could you-"
" What are you doing here!?"
" I swear I didnt mean to-"
" I just forgot-"

Please just put some clothes on for heavens sake!"

They both come to a standstill, and neither speak as they stare in shock at each other. The tension is so thick you would think it was a wall if you walked into it. Tzuyu doesn't know if Momo can hear her heart beating, but it's beating so, so hard. When she notices Momo her lips, and her eyes start to wander south, Tzuyu is pulled back to reality again. With amazing speed she locates some clothes before scurrying off to the bathroom again, slamming the door in panic behind her. with her chest aching from strained breaths, she realizes she's never been so embarrassed in her entire life. She slides down with her back against the bathroom door, the hard wood cool against her smoldering skin. Putting her head in her hands, Tzuyu desperately tries to gather her thoughts. It feels like a million small plastic cups of water is drowning her, one by one they pour over her head. Dahyun is the worst.

Tzuyu, get a ing grip. You need to calm down and put some clothes on, then you need to go out and fix things. It's not that big of a deal, she undressed in front of you last night, didn't she? You just caught her off guard, everything is okay, it will be fine. You can do this.

After dressing herself in some jean-shorts and a gray hoodie, Tzuyu is slow as she unlocks the door and peeks out through the small slit between the door and the doorframe. Momo is still on the floor, with her eyes closed, and faint music could be heard coming from her. Ah, headphones. Okay, you can do this, I believe in you. 

 Tzuyu walks out, and on shaky legs she approaches Momo's still form. She's quiet when sits down next to her, and chews on her lip. After a few seconds of debating, she pokes Momo in the ribs. Momo pulls out one earplug and takes a deep breath.

"Dressed now?" Momo's querys, sounding unsure.

"Yup." Momo opens one eye slowly, followed shortly by the other when she sees that Tzuyu is in fact, decent.

"Do you wanna go to the mart?" Tzuyu asks, feeling the anxiety still lingering in the small of her back and the lenght of .

 


 

A small village was located just short of two miles away from the inn, and they had a market. At least it said so on the Inn's brochure- so the girls took off towards it together.

"So wait, you're saying that Chaeyoung and Dahyun aren't a couple?" Tzuyu nods.

"I haven't seen anything. Chaeyoung seems to have fun, but I think she might be getting tired of Dahyun's pranks." Tzuyu hadn't thought about it like that before. Dahyun did seem a bit obsessed with Chaeyoung, but she never seemed.. affectionate? Tzuyu hooks her thumbs through the hoops in her jeans.

About fifteen minutes into their walk, all they had talked about was upcoming events, dancing, and most recently the Dahyun/Chaeyoung relationship. The air was humid, and the sun was shining. On such a warm summer day the beach would've been nice. Too bad they were stuck in the middle of the forest. Insects contributed to the atmosphere with incessant buzzing, but otherwise it was completely quiet. Not a single car had driven by them, and Tzuyu was grateful. The dirt road was way too narrow anyway.

Momo hummed, she seemed deep in thought. It hadn't taken her long before she pulled that long blonde hair into a ponytail. It swayed with every step she took. Though Tzuyu would never admit it, she couldn't help but notice the small glisten of sweat on Momo's neck. Noticing that would be weird. Totally weird.

"I think that's a good thing." Momo exahales. Tzuyu feels a bit dumbstruck, why would she say that? Because they're two girls? No, Momo would be the last person to think that, right?

"I mean, Mina's has had this sort-of-crush on Chaeyoung for a while. She won't admit it, but it's really obvious. I think Dahyun scares her." Momo looks up towards the sky, seeming completely content. Tzuyu feels a wave of relief wash over her, and then realization hit her like a train. What did she say? Mina? And Chaeyoung? How did that happen?

"Mina? Really?" Tzuyu didn't know how much she should ask, so she didn't question any further than that. Momo however seemed willing to talk about it.

"Yeah. Mina always tells us how Chaeyoung is her ideal, right?" Momo finally looks down and towards Tzuyu.

"Thing is, I've never heard Mina actually say she'd like to date someone, ever. Not even the thought of it. She's always avoided the subject whenever I've asked. Until she met Chaeyoung."

"Wow." was all that Tzuyu was able to muster. It did, in some strange way, make sort of sense. They would be a perfect match. 

"Yeah, but since she won't even tell me about it, I can't really help her out. She can be so stubborn, you know that?" Tzuyu thinks back to the story Sana told her earlier, and a smile sweeps over her lips. That brings her back to her mission. Walking and talking to Momo had been such a nice and effortless thing to do, she'd forgotten all about F.O.M.U.I. 

"Hey, speaking of friends and such, wouldn't you rather have stayed with Jeongyeon?" Tzuyu tries her best to slip the question into the conversation as smooth as possible, and Momo seems unfazed bý the question. Score!

"Ahaha, Yeah, no. That would never happen." Momo looks away and gives a slight shake of her head, a wide smile playing on her lips. Tzuyu frowns a bit. That's not good enough, she needs more. That answer is just too weak.

"But if Nayeon-Unnie wasn't here, wouldn't you have wanted to stay with Jeongyeon instead?" She tries pushing the subject a little further, still afraid to raise suspicions. Momo smiles, and looks up at Tzuyu again.

"I'm completely content as things are right now." Tzuyu feels her ears becoming heated, and has to remind herself that gaping with your mouth wide open at Momo is not acceptable behaviour. In one rapid movement she looks away, feeling embarrassed.

"So what about you? I'm sorry if I took you away from Sana or Dahyun, I'm sure you'd stayed with them instead of me if you could." Momo's change in tone is sudden, and she sounds a bit sad, but all that Tzuyu could do is laugh. Every remnant of discomfort long gone, she looks towards Momo again.

"I get enough of Dahyun's constant teasing and her weird dances at home. Did you know that she pranks me like, twice a week?"

"I'm aware" Momo giggles

"So you get it? Having to share a room with her at home is already more than enough, I love her, but she can be a lot." Tzuyu chuckles and pulls a hand through her hair, looking away from Momo once again. They seem to be getting closer to the small village, it can't be far now.

Thinking about the question once again, Tzuyu ponders wether or not she would change her current roommate for Sana. Sure, it would be a lot easier, without the constant, er, distractions, but actually thinking about it makes Tzuyu sort of confused. She had expected to stay with Sana, and it would've been a lot of fun, but she wasn't so sure anymore. Now, when she'd spent a night staring at Momo's back, and when she'd experienced how caring and fun Momo can be, she wouldn't want to change her roomate. The thought alone makes Tzuyu fall deep into thought. Okay, so, I like Momo. She's a lot of fun, she's really nice, she's a good dancer and she's super caring. She makes dirty jokes when she's with Jeongyeon, and she's usually easy going. I guess I'd really like her to be my friend. Yeah. That's a valid explanation, now stop thinking about her b--

"Earth to Tzuyu!" Momo calls, securing a hand around Tzuyu's bicep, waving the other in front of her eyes.

"Wow, sorry, I just sort of zoned out for a minute." Tzuyu bows her head down and a little to the side, because Momo is way too close and staring right at her.

"Yeah, no, I got that. You didn't answer my follow up question. We're almost there, so I thought you'd might want to come back to this plane of existence. I was real worried you were going to trip or walk into a tree or something." Momo chuckles, satisfied at making the taller girl blush.

"I wouldn't have!" Tzuyu shoots back, turning to look at Momo again. The regret is instantaneous, as Momo's big, dark eyes holds a stare so intense she thought she might catch fire. Not because it was hot or anything.

"You sure would've" Momo says, her voice sounding hoarse. She steps back and clears , pointing with her thumb towards a few houses about 300 feet away. Tzuyu tries her best at smiling, but to be honest, she feels frozen in place. Like she has to break out of an ice capsule with the force of her own body to start moving again. But she does, she breaks out, and she trails after Momo as she leads the way.

 


 

"Momo-unnie! can we please get some grape soda?" Tzuyu comes running back to where Momo was standing with the shopping cart. Holding three cans of Grape Soda, Tzuyu looks like an excited little puppy. Momo just smiles at her, and nods her head.

"Who's the third one for?" Momo asks, and Tzuyu lights up.

"Chaeyoung, she really loves these things. I figured she must be really tired with Dahyun's pranks by now, I want to treat her." Tzuyu puts the cans down in the cart, next to some bags of snacks and three loafs of bread. Momo was flabbergasted when Tzuyu asked for the third one, but quickly learned that once Tzuyu pulls out that cute little pout of hers, there's really no way to say no.

"Oh, that reminds me. I should probably get some chocolate for Dahyun, she'll kill me if I don't. I'll be right back!" Tzuyu twirls around and takes off into one of the small isles of the store. Momo just shakes her head and continues into the store, a small smile evident on her face. She stops by the fruit isle, and quickly snatches a bag of peaches, stowing it away under some chips. After a few minutes, the speakers of the store sound in a menacing way.

"Momo Hirai is needed at the check out register, we have a child who belongs to you." Sighing, Momo takes off towards the register, where she finds a sullen Tzuyu next to a young man with a patchy looking beard. He looks friendly, but tired. 

"I didn't know what she was doing, but she seemed lost. She said that she couldn't find her way back to you, so we had to call it in." The man scratches at the base of his neck, an apologetic smile on his face.

"I wasn't lost, this store is just weird. It keeps changing." Tzuyu pouts.

"I know you weren't baby, it's fine. Are you done? Can we pay?" Tzuyu nods and stands behind Momo as she pays for the groceries.

"Are you by any chance staying at the inn?" The young man asks as he punches in the numbers for Momo's now not-so-secret stash of peaches.

"Yeah, how come?" Momo replies.

"I just thought that this is kind of a lot to carry all the way back. Do you have a ride home?" Momo looks sort of skeptical, and Tzuyu can hear Nayeons voice as she tells her "not to go into any strangers car". The man behind the counter seems to notice their uncomfortable facial expressions, as he hurries to make himself clear.

"Usually Sam drives the guests here if they want to go shopping. Would you like for me to call and ask him to pick you up?" Momo and Tzuyu both feel relief washing over them. Sam was the son of the old couple that ran the inn. They've said hello a couple of times, and he was a good man. They nodded and said their thanks as they paid and left the shop. They decided to have some lunch at the nearby café as they waited for Sam.

 


 

"So, I've been thinking. Are you really that scared of ghosts?" Momo pipes up, after a few minutes of silence. Tzuyu takes a sip of her iced tea before answering, it's cold, and sweet. Perfect on a day like this one.

"Yeah, well. I guess. There's like, no real evidence. There's no way to know if they are real or not." Tzuyu tries not to think to hard about it. The unknown is scary, and it might hurt you. 

"Do you get nightmares and stuff?" Trying to keep her voice as low as possible, she leans over the table towards Tzuyu

"No, not that often." Tzuyu answers, baffled at Momo's secreteive antics.

"Oh, okay." Momo leans back a bit, and there's an unreadable expression on her face. Tzuyu feels her chest constrict, as if she might've said something wrong.

"If you ever do, I'm just a few feet away. Okay? You wake me up anytime." Tzuyu's heart swells immediately, and she has a hard time keeping a smile back. This is one of the reasons she's come to like Momo so much. She's a really caring and soft person. She might be a little crude depending on what company she keeps, but she can also be really sweet.

Tzuyu thanks Momo, and they eat their lunch in a comfortable almost-silence, chatting for small periods of time when something comes up. Tzuyu can't help but feel at ease, which is strange in relation to the situation she's actually in. It's easy to find comfort when you're near Momo.

Sam arrives just in time for them to be done. As Momo holds an enthusiastic discussion about warm/cold blooded people with Sam from the front-seat, Tzuyu watches her in silence. She feels so at peace, hearing Momo's japanese accent, and her animated voice as she disagreees with Sam. Before she knows it, she has drifted off onto a dreamless slumber, a never-leaving smile etched onto her face.

 


 

Back at the inn, Sana knocks on Tzuyu's door after dinner. She say's that they need to talk. After Tzuyu steps out into the hall and closes the door behind her, she looks at Sana with a questioning face.

"Mina has been avoiding me all day. Or, avoiding the subject of Momo anyways." Sana's posture is slouched, and her eyebrows are knitted together.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, she's not been avoiding me, but whenever I try to talk to her about Momo she runs away. Literally, runs." Sana throws her arm up in exhaustion.

"Ouch, okay. So you came to tell me that you haven't found anything out at all?" Tzuyu crosses her arms and looks around, making sure that no one is around to overhear. Sana smiles, for the first time since this morning.

"That's where you're wrong." Her grin is mischievous, as always. Tzuyu feels a flash of hope.

"Well, tell me already!" Tzuyu exclaims, almost jumping Sana, eager to know what she has to say.

"I might've cornered her. And I might've also threatened to use electric tape-"

"Sana!"

"Okay, okay, sorry. I won't do that again, but hear me out. Before she managed to get away, she pleaded, telling me that she promised Momo not to say." Sana extends her arms out to her sides and makes a large, open-mouth smile.

"So, there's something going on? She admitted to something?" Tzuyu whispers, only now realizing how right she had been. Momo was planning something, she wasn't crazy.

"Yeah, how great is that-- ow!" Sana rubs her shoulder where Tzuyu had smacked her.

"It's not great, and you should never threaten Mina again. Understand?" Tzuyu stares at the shamefaced Sana.

"Sorry, I just got carried away with it." She gives her a light, apologetic laugh, before giving a smal bow with her head.

"Ill try some more, in a nicer way. Eventually she might crack and spill, without, er, foul tactics." Sana looks really ashamed, and Tzuyu can't help but feel sorry about hitting her.

Tzuyu hugs Sana and murmurs a thank you before she releases her and steps back through the door.

Back inside her room, she spots Momo, ever as stoic as when she left her a few minutes ago. Tzuyu relaxes when she realizes that Momo, did indeed not hear a word they were saying. If she was scheming with Mina, she'll probably hear about it sooner or later, but for now everything was safe.

She flops down onto her bed with a soft thud, and completely relaxes as she finds a spot in the ceiling to stare at. It isn't until a few minutes later when she feels the side of her bed dip with the weight of someone else that she looks away from it. She looks up at Momo, who had put her blonde hair in a messy bun. She's gorgeous. 

At first Tzuyu waits for Momo to say something, but when she sees a mischevous smirk play upon her lips, she gets nervous. Her heart starts beating faster, and the palms of her hands become damp.

"What?" Tzuyu asks, her voice cracking along with the sound of her hips as she shifts on the bed, putting some distance between herself and Momo.

"Do you want to play a game?" Momo's voice is low, and soft. It purrs in an almost seductive way against her open lips, and Tzuyu swallows hard. She can almost feel the blood draining from her face, down to the small of her back where an incessant tickling is making her distracted.

"What game?" Tzuyu swallows again, is dry, and she feels as if she boiling.

"Never have I ever, silly. It's the best way to get to know someone. You don't need to look so scared." Momo winks and pulls her knees up under her chin, the seductive tone and the glistening lips long gone. 

Tzuyu guffaws as she sits up, some more of her joints cracking and making noise. Tzuyu thinks she might've imagined it all. Maybe I really am sick?

"You can't be serious?" Tzuyu giggles.

"Dead serious" Momo replies, a small pout forming on her lips. Tzuyu lets out a nervous chuckle before she relents, and agrees to play the game. Momo pretty much beams at her.

"Never have I ever been to a concert" Momo starts out with, pretty basic stuff. Tzuyu lets out a huff, and thanks the gods for not letting Momo ask really strange questions. They both fold down a finger each, and so the game continues, they keep the questions neat. Well, that is until Momo brings up dating.

"Never have I ever been on a date." Momo asks, which is also pretty standard. Only Momo folds a finger.

"You've never been on a date?!" Momo exclaims. Her eyes are wider and darker than Tzuyu's ever seen them, but it's hard to concentrate when she's so embarrassed.

"No, should I have?" Tzuyu mumbles, keeping her eyes downcast on the pink sheets of her bed.

"Well, I just thought.. Since you're so pretty, anyone would be crazy to take you out." Momo mutters, and Tzuyu's cheeks redden. She wants to ask her, she wants to ask if that's what she really thinks. If Momo finds me pretty.

"What about you? Have you dated a lot of guys?" Tzuyu mumbles, still ashamed at her own confession.

"No, I've been out on a few dates, with a few people. But it never got serious or anything like that." Momo says, shrugging her shoulders.

"Oh. Okay. Why not?" Tzuyu can't help herself, she wants to know.

"They weren't really my type." Momo looks away, still as stoic as before. Tzuyu is perplexed by her nonchalance, but then a lightbulb goes off in her head, and she gets an idea.

"Then, what is your type?" Tzuyu's question is so unsure, she can taste the sweet fragility on the tip of her tongue. Momo ponders for a few seconds, scratching her neck and throat with long nails.

"Well, they'd have to be tall, taller than me at least. And they'd have to be good at dancing, I need someone who can keep up with me." She turns to Tzuyu, and shoots her a wink. Tzuyu giggles at the blatant self-praise, but she has to agree. Momo's dancing was something else alright.Another lightbulb goes off in Tzuyu's head. Momo didn't say he/she, maybe- yeah. just ask, but be cool about it.

"So, is there anyone you are interested in, right now I mean?" Tzuyu tries to play it cool, but the nerves are killing her, she feels as if she might collapse and die on the spot. It's such a shameful thing to ask, stupid, stupid, Tzuyu. Momo looks a little shocked, but recovers fast.

"All the ladies of Twice are irresistable, do I need to say more?" Momo winks and lets out a chuckle. Tzuyu once again feels as if Momo's not giving her the answers she wants. But just as she's about to push things further, they're interrupted by Dahyun bolting through their door and into the bathroom, hurling the door closed behind her and locking it. Shortly thereafter a breathless, soaking wet Chaeyoung sprints into their room as well. 

"I'm so sorry for this. Dahyun poured an entire bucket of ice-water on me so if you'll excuse me, I have to commit murder now." Chaeyoung proceeds with banging on the wooden door and berating Dahyun for the horrible prank. On the other side of the door, all you could hear was muffled, hysterical fits of laughter. It didn't take long before Chaeyoung let out a throaty laugh herself, and they all broke out into a fit of giggles. After Chaeyoung had gone to make a change of clothes, Dahyun and Chaeyoung stayed the rest of the evening, eating snacks and jabbering about everything and nothing.

 


 

Tzuyu is once again awake, staring at her blonde roomates back. Small strips of pink were illuminated by the moonlight seeping through the blinds. Things are changing, fast. She's afraid. Things are changing too much, too fast, and she's so confused about the entire thing. About her own feelings, about Momo's feelings, about what everything meant. What did she mean when she said that she was "content with how things were"? Does she really think I'm that pretty? What about all those weak answers? What is she planning? 

Tzuyu lifts her hand up to her chest, and feels the beating of her heart against her ribcage. It's rythmic, safe, secure. 

She couldn't stop thinking about the way Momo's hands had felt so good against her skin. She couldn't stop thinking about how she faintly smelled of peaches as they danced together. She wants to crawl into Momo's bed and feel her hands on her skin again, she wants to be enveloped in her warmth.

It's frightening, but Tzuyu is too tired to fight the onslaught of affection she feels towards the girl sleeping a few feet away. Another day, another time.

She falls asleep with a hand to her chest, the heavy thumping of her heart lulling her to sleep.