004

Her Darkest Secret

 

      "Hey, can you give me a lift?" Haneul spoke over the phone. "My driver's pretty sick, I don't wanna bother him." She added.

 

      "Eoh, I'll be there soon." Jaebum grabbed his keys and backpack as he headed to her house.  

 

      Haneul was actually far from ready. She haven't showered, brush her teeth, eat and Jaebum was already on his way to her house. "Sheesh, he's probably reaching in 5 minutes." Haneul started to panic.

 

      She grabbed her towel as she rushed to her bathroom to wash up. At most, she quickened her pace so that they wouldn't be late for school. 

 

      The door bell rang just a few minutes later. Doing her job, Mrs Lee rushed to get the door. "Ah Jaebum! Come in." She greeted with a smile while Jaebum politely bowed.

 

      "Haneul's still getting ready, you can join us for breakfast while waiting." Mrs Park offered. Jaebum agreed, gladly choosing his seat at the dining table. "How's your mother?" Mrs Park asked. 

 

      "She keeps insisting she's fine and she refuses to try chemotherapy.. It would be stupid if I said she's isn't in pain." Jaebum sighed. "I'm sorry for asking. I'll visit her again later this week." Mrs Park rubbed his back.

 

      As they were discussing about work, Jaebum finally spotted the girl running down the stairs. "WE'RE not going to be late, so just walk. You'll probably trip and fall." Jaebum raised his voice, startling Haneul. 

 

      She missed a step, fortunately, it was nothing much. Missing a step, she got to the ground floor faster.

 

      And yes, she fell. 

 

      Haneul thanked the gods when she realized that she wasn't flat on her face. "YAH! YOU AND YOUR MOUTH." She stomped towards Jaebum with the urge of choking him to death. 

 

      "AND this is my seat." She glared. "Can't you just sit beside him? Plus will you die if you stop bickering with him for one day?" Mr Park sighed.  "Wow, showing favoritism to your god son huh." Haneul frowned. 

 

      "Fine, I'm sorry. Now eat so we can head to school." Jaebum flicked her head. "Mom!" Haneul whined. "Just have your food dear." Mrs Park shot her a look. 

 

      "Tsk" Haneul poked her food in annoyance. "You still love me." Jaebum whispered. "Get lost."

 

      After their meal, they cleared their plates before heading out. "Be safe you two!" Haneul's parents chorused as they left. 

 

      Jaebum tossed Haneul her helmet and wore his before getting onto his bike. "Hold on tight." Jaebum reminded as he glanced at Haneul to check on her. She nodded, signaling Jaebum to go ahead. 

 

      In no time, they arrived in school. As usual, there were gossips here and there. 

 

      "Kyaa, Jaebum oppa is a biker!" One said. "He's so cool! I wish I was the girl behind." Another squealed. 

 

      Getting off the bike to removing her helmet and revealing her face, it was as if the other students were watching a live commercial. "Are the really together?" Others whispered. 

 

      "What's so cool about him." Jungkook stared at Jaebum as he helped Haneul with her hair. "What's so cool about you." Namjoon retorted. 

 

      "You know he's just joking." Yoongi came in the right time to stop Jungkook. 

 

      Walking down the hallway, Haneul scoffed as she identified the lad in front of her. "How unlucky." Haneul mumbled. "You already got a new pair of shoes, just let him be." Jaebum said. 

 

      This time, it wasn't Haneul who itched for some bickering. 

 

      "Look who's this~ the school's most treasured student." Jungkook leaned forward to annoy her further. "Get out of my face." Haneul rolled her eyes. 

 

      Jungkook merely smirked, "Well of course, I shouldn't offend the sponsor of this school."

 

      As he backed away, he glanced down, realizing that Haneul had already gotten a new pair of shoes. Trying to maintain his poker face, he added, "See you around then." He winked.

 

      "Let's hope we don't." Haneul forcefully smiled. Jaebum slung his arm around her shoulders and brought her away from the guys. "Ugh he's fuxking annoying." She ranted. 

 

      "You're not the type to get affected by all these. Perhaps.. You like him?" Jaebum joked. "Not you too." Haneul glared. 

 

      Jaebum surrendered and stepped back, "You do know I'm just joking right.". Haneul shrugged as she entered BaekHo's room without him. 

 

*****

 

      After school, Hoseok caught up with Jungkook who was rushing to who knows where. "Dude, where are you going?" 

 

      "I have a job interview soon, I'll catch up with you guys later." Jungkook explained, hoping that Hoseok would buy the story. Hoseok nodded and told him to go ahead. 

 

      Jungkook groaned as he missed the bus just by a few second. He hurriedly called for a cab, wishing he was still on time. 

 

      At the same time, Haneul left the school on Jaebum's bike. She spotted Jungkook at the side, anxiously looking at his watch. Still holding a grudge with him, Haneul shrugged as Jaebum sped off to the HQ.

 

     Jungkook's cab arrived a short while later, "Uncle, please follow that bike in front."