Do You Like Bananas?

YO, BANANA BOY!

Being born in a wealthy family has never been just easy. Minseok knew that. So, to prove his father he was able to work for himself, gain money himself, he flew to China with his younger brother Kyungsoo. 

 

His father, Mr. Kim, had given him a credit card but Minseok so nicely declined and only took two thousand dollars with him. He was sure he would find a nice and well paid job soon. 

 

But life had other plans. As they arrived in an unknown island, a place where people would still live in houses made of wood, eat meat haunted by themselves and drink coconut water (or so it seemed), he started to rethink his decisions and suddenly the idea of a credit card didn't seem so bad. 

To be honest, he didn't even think a credit card would do because, do these people even know that existed? Probably not. Well, what was he supposed to do? With two thousand dollars in a hand, a suitcase in the other and an amused Kyungsoo by his side, he did the only thing he could think of: search for a home. 

 

It was a warm day. A good day to start a new life. Walking around the place, street markets everywhere, he saw an old man struggling with a box of bananas. Since both came from an educated family, their instincts kicked and they found themselves helping the old man carry those. The old man, Mr. Zhang, as he introduced himself, offered them a banana in return and both gladly accepted said gesture. 

After what seemed like hours of talking to Mr. Zhang, the old man offered them a stay in his own old house. Both gladly accepted but under a condition: they had to work. Mr. Zhang not too surprised by the offer, agreed and quickly made use of the Kim brothers by putting Kyungsoo behind the market's stand and Minseok helping him carry all exotic fruits from the coast to the market. 

Even if it was not something big and negotiating like imagined it should've been, he was glad he had inherited the mouth of his father and could talk convincingly good. 

Now the only thing he had to do was work at 'Golden Fruits' for at least a year and come back as an independent man. He was sure his father would be proud of him. 

 

Two weeks into working with Mr. Zhang, he had learnt a few things about the latter: 

he was surprisingly forgettable, he flirted with grandmothers without noticing (which made him gain a few weird looks from Minseok, but ehj he was no one to judge his boss), and that he had a daughter. Someone you just couldn't be proud of. Mr. Zhang, or Mr. Yixing, like he had made them call him after a week, had a beautiful daughter with his late wife. Together they had formed a beautiful family. If it wasn't for his daughter's ignorance towards him as she grew up.She had called him names, thrown things at her only father, made him feel like he was the one who had done wrong and the worst, accused him for killing his sick mother. Only because they were poor. Yes, she had liked the better life a bit too much, and decided to leave for Beijing not long after her 18th birthday. Of course, Mr. Yixing had to pay for the trip. 

That had been around twenty five years ago and Yixing, being the noble man he was, had no grudge against her. It was his only and beloved daughter after all. He had wished to see her again before his death, but he wasn't sure it would happen. The most important thing Minseok had learnt was, Zhang Yixing was a lonely man. And he was going to change that. 

 

 

Kyungsoo liked his job. He only had to smile at some strangers, or neighbours, for the matter and he already got everyone buying fruits from him. He found it quite amusing, how everyone liked his accent and made him talk to the costumers for hours, if possible. Yes, he had become a beloved teen around the island in only a few weeks and people treasured him and his squishiness. He had even gained the name of Golden Boy. Kyungsoo loved it. 

Even if he had to see his older brother struggle every now and then with a box of whatever exotic fruit he would drag, he always shrug it off and continued his aegyo with the costumers. Yes, Kim Kyungsoo was an evil teen. 

Mr. Yixing had become lazy over the few weeks and it seemed as if he was also getting sick. Both the brothers didn't like that. 

Once, when Yixing had a bad fever, he told Minseok, while holding his hand, that his daughter should've been the one continuing his business. But since she wasn't there with him, he ha decided that the Kim brothers took over it. He started coughing really bad, said his last goodbyes, put a hand on his chest and closed his eyes. No, he didn't die. As Minseok had learnt, Mr. Yixing liked to be over dramatic and with that, Minseok let out a soft laugh, put the covers over his boss, and left for his room. 

Even if the connection in the house was not the best, he had taken his phone, and dialled the only number he had learnt from memory. His father's. After three long but disturbingly crooked rings, his father answered the phone. 

"Hello?", a heavy voice said. 

"Father! It's me, your son Minseok."

The conversation wasn't long but precise. Minseok had asked his father for a little research of the Zhang family, to find his daughter or other close relatives. His father told him, he'd call if he'd find anything. But the call didn't come. 

As days past by, Minseok found it more difficult to get said call from his father. He let out a heavy sigh. 

"Minseok hyung, what is it that it's bothering you?", a troubled Kyungsoo asked. The elder sighed again. 

"I took the liberty to call father a few weeks ago, Kyungsoo," said boy looked surprised at first, but quickly made a gesture for his brother to keep talking. "I asked him for a little research about Boss Zhang's family. Anything. But he hasn't called me back. I'm afraid Mr. Yixing has no family. I don't want to leave him alone, you know?", he now started to look down but continued talking anyways,"In a few months we'll have to go back to Korea, Kyungsoo. I'm afraid we'll disappoint him when we go." 

As of instinct, Kyungsoo quickly took his brother's hand and intervened them with his. It only took him one sentence to make his brother feel better; 

"We'll find someone, don't worry." 

 

 

But words are just too easily said. They hadn't found anyone. Both had even started asking around, people who had known Yixing all his life. But none had heard about his daughter since she had left. 

 

One of those hot working days, Minseok had to go to the coast and collect a bunch of bananas himself. It was exhausting and too hot to be doing this, he thought. As he filled one of the boxes with the golden fruits, he wiped some sweat away and started going back to the market. Only to find a young boy talking to his younger brother. He looked good, no, he looked fancy and out of place in this island. The rich boy was wearing jeans with a white tank top and way too expensive shoes, with some expensive jewellery, Minseok noted. The light brown hair didn't make it better.

Said man, always smiling, turned his head to the man standing, still carrying the box of bananas, before greeting him.

" Yo, banana boy, need help?" Both, Kyungsoo and the oh-so-funny rich boy chuckled and it made Minseok make a face. As if on cue, the cute- i mean, good looking boy stood up and helped Minseok put down the heavy box of bananas. 

He whispered a relieved 'thank you' and was about to turn around to collect more fruits when he heard Kyungsoo speak. 

"It's Mr. Zhang's- I mean Mr. Yixing's grandson.", he clarified. With widened eyes, mouth open and a creepy smile forming a little too slow, Minseok found himself looking at said boy, about to welcome him. "AHA!", he screamed instead, "I knew we'd find someone! I'm Kim Minseok! Kyungsoo's older brother. I'm very glad to meet you, Zhang...?" The taller boy looked at the hand, quickly taking it and instantly shaking, before replying: "Luhan. Nice to meet you Kim Minseok!" Both widely smiling at each other, Kyungsoo started grinning for himself before pointing out, that they might go get some more fruits for the stand. Nodding like a pair of idiots, both quickly made it into the coast, always talking and smiling to each other, going back and forth, until Minseok noticed that Luhan hadn't even visited his grandfather. "It's okay", Luhan reassured him, they'd go when his shift was over. 

 

After two more hours going back and forth, they packed everything together, closed the stand and left to the old man's house. It was quiet, as always, but something seemed different. The air was thick. Thick with perfume. It was a lady's smell. All three of them curiously walked to the garden, where they found Mr. Zhang talking to an old lady. Of course, Minseok thought, his smelling sense never lied.  

"Mr. Zhang?", Kyungsoo called. Both, the lady and the omg was that hair spray, he had on his head?, turned to the three curious boys standing by the door frame. 

"Oh, you're here!", Yixing called. He stood up, took the lady's hand and made her also stand up. 

Both Korean males widened their eyes. This woman was not just any woman. It was Byun Baek-

"I'm sure you already know her! It's your friend's grandmother, Baekhyun and uhm Sehun, was it, right?", he happily turned to the lady.

Yes, it was their friend's grandmother. She was practically like their own grandmother, because Sehun and Baekhyun were like brothers to them. What was she doing here? 

"Ohh hello Kyungsoo! Hello Minseok! It's nice to see you again. Baekhyun wanted to visit you so badly and so, I thought, why not tag along? It's been ages since I last travelled. I had forgotten how beautiful China could be" she made a funny old people's face. That face old people do, when remembering old stuff. It was lovely. Both Korean males hugged her tightly and only when Luhan coughed a bit, all faces (but Yixing's) turning to him, they remembered they were here for a reason. 

"Oh! Mr. Yixing! This is Luhan. Your grandson." If it wasn't for Mrs. Byun, Yixing would've probably end up sobbing and carrying Luhan like he had always dreamed. But love was in the air, Kyungsoo started staring, a wide grin across his face, looking at the way Mr. Zhang was looking at Mrs. soon-to-be Zhang. Luhan a bit confused, but always hyper, let out a chuckle before walking towards the old man. 

"Hey.", he placed his hand on his grandfather's shoulder, which made the old man look directly at him. "Hey", the eldest let out. Luhan sighed, smile still present, as he said; "I'm Zhang Yinxia's son. Your grandson." With that, all stares directed to Yixing, said man quickly widened his eyes before smiling. A blink of an eye later, both were hugging, Mrs. Byun smiling lovingly at the Chinese men, before turning her attention to the brothers. 

"Baekhyun and Sehun are walking around the coast. Why don't we go look for them?" 

 

It wasn't hard to find them. Byun Baekhyun was never one to be quiet and his cousin Oh Sehun, was so tall, he could be seen from afar. He was probably the tallest at the island right now, Minseok thought. They walked around for a few more hours, never tired of talking, telling the brothers what they've missed in Korea so far, before making their way back to Mr. Zhang's. Both Chinese men were sitting on the couch, a big photo album, the brothers had seen way too many times to keep track (because Yixing always forgot he ha already shown them) on their laps, and both smiling. Minseok was glad Luhan was not like his mother.

 

The next morning, a sunday, Minseok woke up next to a lightly snoring Luhan. They had to share a bed, because Mr. Yixing only had one spare room, and that was currently being used by the Kim brothers. To Kyungsoo's luck, he had to share a bed with both, Sehun and Baekhyun. He hated it. 

Mrs. Byun had the luck to sleep on Mr. Yixings bed, alone, while the latter slept on the couch. There was just no other way to fit seven people in a house made for two, or three people. 

Minseok stood up, silently making his way to the toilet, when he heard high pitched giggling. Yes, Minseok was the most curious out of everyone, probably in the whole world, and so he found himself pecking his head just enough to see what the two eldest of the house were doing. Zhang Yixing had his arms placed around Mrs. Byun's waist, slightly moving her at the rhythm of the music. And Mrs. Byun had gladly let him lead her. Mr. Yixing had told the brothers, how he used to be the best dancer in the island. Minseok, still looking at the cute sight, suddenly felt a light tab on his shoulder. Wincing in a whisper, he turned around, slightly red from having been caught, he looked at the amazed face of Luhan. 

Luhan suddenly blurted out something like "you're as cute as a baozi", but Minseok couldn't quite catch that, because he had never heard the word baozi before. Was that an animal? 

"You don't know what a baozi is, do you? I don't think they sell them around here.", the last part was probably meant to Luhan himself, but he nodded nonetheless. "Hey, I should take you to Beijing once, what do you think? We could eat baozis together. Kyungsoo and Sehun, you and I. Like a double date!"

Double date? Wait what-

"What do you mean double date? Sehun and Kyungsoo?? You and I???" 

Luhan turned red. Not only the nose, like the reindeer, but his whole face, legit. 

Avoiding the Korean's eyes, Luhan looked everywhere, trying to look interested in everything so suddenly. 

Minseok sighed. Nobody had ever invited him on a date. To be honest, he wasn't even looking for a relationship just now. Not for the next few years, he thought. And what was that about Sehun and Kyungsoo? How- 

A quick glance over at his younger brother revealed the tall boy protectingly wrapping his arms around Kyungsoo, back facing Baekhyun, who probably couldn't care less. Kyungsoo, was lying in a foetus-like position. Okay, that made sense. After all, Kyungsoo once told him, he had a crush, but refused telling him who it was. Of course it would be the brat of Oh Sehun. 

He didn't know how long he had been staring at the trio on the bed, but suddenly he came back to his senses and looked at Luhan. Luhan flinched an bit his lip. He also shrugged as if to tell him 'I just knew'. Minseok laughed a bit, tapped Luhan's shoulder, and said: "Why don't we go on a triple date instead?" The Chinese widened his eyes, raised a brow as if to ask 'who else' but his mind was faster, and he remembered the lovely old pair. He started grinning and nodded happily. They decided to hook Baekhyun up with someone they'd meet in Beijing. 

 

That same night, snuggled together in bed again, Luhan whispered into Minseok's ear: "So, Minseok. Since you like Bananas...would you like to try some of mine?" And with that, Minseok as red as he could possibly get, faked a snore. 

 


 

A/N

Kikikikiki so...i wrote this in one go and didn't re-read, so i hope it's not too bad xdd

I had fun writing this because..just imagine old Yixing hitting on Baekhyuns grandma xddd 

I don't know if you're familiar with chinese, but the name of the maret, 'Golden Fruit' it's written '金果' and the last name 'Kim' uses the same character as in 'Golden'.

So, people callig Kyungsoo a 'Golden Boy' was actually them calling him by his last name xd it doesn't make sense but...my bro had the idea of golden fruit and i thought it got well with the story xd dont hate me :D 

I might write some drabbles aboyt this story soon, because I really liked the plot xd

 

 

*little story how i came up with this*

I was searching for a title...googled 'palindrome sentenses' and bam, this hit me in the face..

Not literally. But when I saw the 'Yo,...' i was like "this is totally something luhan would say to someone cute' 

And who's cuteeeeee???? Minseok is. So, i practically had the title and the plot in mind. 

That's all. 

ps . palindrome is a word or sentense that's read the same backwards and forward (like madam) i'm geniuuuus(not)