Begining

Memories

"Look i know i liked Noh, but that doesn't mean......Wait, what did you say?"

 

Earn waits for Pete's reply. All he hears is Pete's slow and his own rapid breathing.

 

"It was after you woke up from your coma. I told you then." Pete finally replies.

 

"I don't remember, you... Did you? I ...." Earn stutters. His heart starts to beat faster, he can feel a tightness of chest and he can see stars in his eyes. "After I woke up....."

 

Earn begins remembering, firstly flashbacks of images, like sharp needles penetrating his brain then it began to run like a movie. He starts remembering things he smelt, things he touched and things he saw.

 

When i woke up.... I smell sweat, is it my sweat? I remember that particular smell hospitals have, which always reminded me of death or illness. I could feel the surprising softness of the bed sheets and a hand? I remember opening my eyes to blank white ceiling and the shadows of the swaying willow tree outside of the window. I remember turning towards the hand that held on to mine, the hand was pale and slender. The person attached to that hand was sleeping lightly and i remember not wanting to disturb ..... Him? His hair was short and his face was scrunched up, as if he is having a bad dream. So I wanted to comfort him, but by moving my hand, i woke him up.

 

"Earn?" Pete blinks a couple of times to wake up. He rubs his eyes as he looks up. "you awake? Thank god, your awake. Hey, you ok? Do you want some water? Should i go and get the nurse?" Pete's checks the temperature of Earn's forehead before tucking strands of hair behind Earn's ear. "You've been sleeping for a long time buddy, you had me worried." Pete smiles at Earn, an intimate smile that earn don't remember ever seeing on Pete's face.

 

"Pete? What happened?"

 

Pete sighed, "Its a long story Earn, I'm just happy your awake." Pete leans in to place a kiss on Earn's forehead.

"whoa! What you doing?" earn laughs awkwardly, putting a hand on Pete's arm to push him away "that's umm errr kind of weird err .... between friends." Earn can see Pete frown and look Earn's face up and down. His mouth opening and closing as if he wants to say something.

 

"That's not funny Earn. Are you joking?"

 

"Are you joking is probably a better question. What wrong with you Pete? I'm fine." Earn frowned at Pete, as he sobers up from his coma. Pete just stared at him for a while, wide eyed and mouth agape.

 

"I'm going to get the nurse." Pete murmured to himself as he quickly made his way out of the door.

 

I remember the next few days were filled with tests, heart tests, blood tests and psychiatric tests. I remember going for a little walk in to a nearby garden, i think it was made for the patients to have a place to relax. That's where I met Nam. I sat next to her the wooden bench. I have flashbacks of seeing her flowery dress, her warm smile and her friendly tone. Nam always tells me about this, but now i remember it myself. She was visiting her sister in the hospital and she said i looked shy but i kept looking in her direction. That's where we started seeing each other. I don't know if it was the way she supported me or the way I made her feel needed, we bonded straight away over the next few weeks. 

 

On the last day of my stint at the hospital, I remember I had returned to my hospital room after seeing Nam off, after a date in the garden. Pete was siting in a chair between the windows facing the garden and my bed.

 

Pete looked distressed, ringing his hands as his chest was moving up and down quickly.

 

"hey! You ok?"

 

"I need to tell you something." Pete blurted out as he continues to stare in to space. Earn can see his chest continue to rise and fall rapidly before he heard Pete confess "I'm .... I'm gay." Pete looks up at Earn. Studying Earn's every facial movement.

 

Earn stayed still in his spot and silence filled the room. Then laughter rang out of Earn's mouth. "yeah mate, i figured as much. Your er behaviour when i was waking up was big enough of a clue." Earn thought his words would relax Pete, but instead, his face remained worried and frozen.

 

"you don't mind?" Pete stands up and makes his way to Earn. He made tentative footsteps towards earn without letting go of Earn's gaze.

 

"no! Course not! Your my  best friend! Why would I mind if your gay. I didn't find the angels gang disgusting did i? So why the hell would i mind if your gay?"

 

Pete silently stands in front of Earn, staring deeply in to his eyes. Earn can feel Pete's gaze burning in to his retina. For some reason, he remains frozen, unable to speak or move, as he feels Pete's hands lightly brush his and snake up his arm, leaving a trail of radiating heat and goosebumps on his skin. They continue to make its way across Earn's broad shoulders, the heat still radiation through Earn's shirt. Shivering at Pete's touch and captivated by his gaze, Earn can feel his heart beat faster. Pete's hands grazes his neck, along his veins, to cup his red cheeks, where they remained.

 

Earn can see Pete's eyes dart from his lips and his eyes.

He can see Pete leaning in, mingling their breaths.

He can see Pete's  head tilting up so his lips inch closer and closer to his.

 

Now breathing shallow breaths, feeling like his heart is going to burst out, earn responds in fear by pushing Pete away from him as hard as  he can. Earn shouts "What the F**k do you think your doing? I'm not f**king gay! I'm with Nam!".

 

 

 

Earn slowly comes back to the present, leaving a searing image of a shocked and broken Pete on the ground, his face full of hurt and pain.

 

"you did tell me. I'm ...... I'm so sorry Pete, i shouldn't have......" Earn's words trail off.

 

Pete doesn't waste any time as he jumps up, dusts himself and straightens his shirt collar. "its ok, don't worry about it. It was my fault for startling you." Pete looks down the alley way, in the direction the entrance for the wedding reception.

 

"Pete" Earn calls out softly as he reaches out to grab Pete's left wrist to try and convey just how sorry he felt. Pete, realising what Earn is doing, dodges Earn's touch and takes a step away from him.

 

" they are probably waiting for us. We should go." Pete heads down the alley without a second look at Earn.

 

Earn slowly follows, mind blank from what just happened. He was grateful for the bitter sweet feeling of  remembering again but, maybe that's why he forgot. They weren't memories he wanted to remember.

 

"hey! Where were you?" Nam appears in front of Earn, shortly after earn enters the wedding reception, which was booming with loud music as well as drunk screams and shouts,  "you ok?"

 

"yeah, yeah er.... I'm fine." earn looks towards Pete, who is heading straight to fee. Earn doesn't feel anger or surprise, he just feels confused and dazed about what just happened. It was a lot to take in for one night and he felt a headache coming on.

Trying to distract himself, Earn turns to Nam "hey, um... do you still remember that time when we went dancing in the rain?" The corner's of Earn's mouth tilts up. "we were drenched and we had to keep wiping our eyes to be able to see each other." he laughs, "remember?"

 

Nam stays silent and looks at the floor. "I think we should go get a drink." Looking up at Earn and putting on a smile, "you look too sober." She pulls him towards the bar. Earn lets her but doesn't let up.

 

"remember that time when we baked a cake together? Obviously I am not a domestic goddess but" earn laughs at the memory "neither were you. The cake was completely burnt and we couldn't even pick at it. You looked so adorably disappointed. Do you remember?"

 

Nam nods and looks away. The bartender hands her 2 glasses of champagne and she grabs them quickly. She drains hers first before handing Earn his glass. "whoa! Thirsty are we?"

 

"ha ha ha, yeah. You want to dance?" same fake smile. When did Nam start to have wrinkles around her eyes? 

 

"er sure" Earn replied. Nam always made that face when Earn reminds them of their happy memories. Those memories always made him feel better about everything, they helped Earn get through so much in the past few years and it was all because of Nam. But even before they broke up, she would always frown or look blank when i talk about those times we spent together.

 

Nam lead Earn on the dance floor where most of the guests were dancing. Some well, some .... Not so well. A slow song came on and the dance floor thinned. Earn watched Phun holding on to Noh's waist, trying to pull him in to a slow dance, Noh let him but he kept looking around him to see other's reaction. He didn't need to, no one was noticing them. Occasionally, Noh batted Phun's hands away when they were getting too grabby, near the bottom area. Ohm and Mick looked happy in each other's arms, Mick resting his petit pretty head on Ohm's broad chest and ohm Mick's soft hair as they swayed to the music.

 

Lost in the atmosphere, Earn pulls Nam in to his embrace and held her tight. Forgetting about his worries, he felt lucky about where he was and who he was with. Nam smiled and looks up at him, Earn looks back at her and tenderly kisses the top of her head. He lifted his head to look at Nam before tentatively lowering his head towards Nam's face and placing a butterfly kiss on her lips.

 

Whilst Earn feels blissfully happy, Pete watches from a distance. Fee follows his gaze to see what Pete is watching so intently. Fee grits his teeth. Feeling like history is repeating itself, Fee wraps his hand around Pete's wrist. "Come on Pete, lets leave."

 

Pete's been sitting next to fee since he came back to the wedding reception. Fee has been trying to persuade Pete to head home with him to "catch up more". Pete just laughed at the suggestion. But Fee didn't give up, he kept on making suggestions through out the night. Pete found it flattering but at no point did Pete want to "catch up more".  But this time, after watching Earn and Nam, Pete allows Fee to drag him away, towards fee's car. Even outside of the building, Pete still has the image of Earn and Nam burning in his brain. Even though it hurts, Pete finds it hard to let go.

 

Suddenly, he feels Fee's mouth on his, nipping and , turning all his attention to the kiss. Wrapping his arms tightly around Pete's waist, leaving no space between them so that their groins rub fiercely together. Fee lifts his head to allow Pete to breath. Pete in air sharply as he feels his bulging pants rub against Fees'. His face millimetres from Pete, he looks straight in to his eyes and sternly whispers "stop looking at them. Stop hurting yourself. Concentrate on me and my voice, I'll make you forget".

 

Author's note: Thank you for reading and for leaving such lovely comments! Honestly, your viewership and comments encourage me to complete this story. If i'm writing, it mainly cause i feel soooo supported by you guys.

Thanks for giving this first time writer/bad speller/ bad grammer user/ rushing with certain storylines (Nam) person a chance. :) I will try my best.