Innocence

Memories

"Can we get the bill please?" Earn asked the waitress.

 

Turning around back to look at Pete, whose checking his phone. Pete has really long eyelashes, kind of like a girl. How did not notice this before? Wait, what the hell am I think of at the moment.... Earn shakes his head. 

 

Earn and Pete has been meeting a lot recently, he never stays for too long, at most an hour. Pete always have an excuse to leave early. Earn never thought too much of it, he knew Pete was busy and although he weirdly doesn't like the fact that he has to share Pete with others, he likes the fact that Pete always agrees to meet up and is never late.

 

As Earn predicted, without raising his eyes from his phone, Pete said " Sorry Earn, i need to go."

 

"yeah, sure." Pete put down some bills, grabs his jacket and prepares to leave.

 

Before he leaves, Earn asks "so um..... Are you going to the wedding?"

 

"Wedding? Oh right, i heard Noh and Phun finally found a photographer. P'Film got the job." Pete smiles " Apparently he was cheap."

 

" yeah, it should be fun. Sounds like it might be a small reunion. We going together right?" Earn innocently asked.

 Surprised, Pete widened his eyes and stared at Earn. He blinked a few times and asked "together?"

 

"yeah. Oh wait, do....do you have a date?" Earn asked cautiously

"no...." Pete replied truthfully

"yeah me neither, so we can go together." Earn waited for Pete's reply, but he seemed to just stare at him with his mouth slightly open. Confused, earn furrowed his eyebrows and leaned in slightly. "do you want to go together Pete?"

 

Closing his mouth, Pete's looked deep in to Earn's eyes and for the first time in 7 years, allowed his hopes to rise. Trying desperately to bat away his insecurities, he smiled and replied "yeah. I think it will be fun too". Earn's heart skips a beat as he observes Pete's beautiful genuine smile. I missed your smiles. 

 

Earn wondered why he was getting so sentimental and tried to shake off the uncomfortable feeling. "yeah, I I I er yep. Its going to be great. Do you want to come to mine first? We can drive there together? We might as well."

 

"Your house? I haven't been to your house since..." Pete stops and looks down. Earn observes the curves of Pete's mouth slide down and his Adams apple rise and fall as he swallows what he is thinking about. Pete looked like he was lost in his memories and it didn't seem like good memories.

 

"Pete..." Worried about his best friend, Earn reaches his hands towards Pete's resting hands on the table. The tip of Earn's fingers grazes the back of Pete's hands. Pete takes in a sharp breathe as if Earn's fingers where electric and quickly pulled his hands off the table. Pete looks up at Earn and pretends nothing happened by looking around.

 

"yeah, I'll come and pick you up tomorrow. I have to go." Pete looks past Earn and smiles at him as he throws his arm in to the sleeves of his jacket. "see you later yeah?" Pete swiftly stood up and left before earn could react. Earn just stared blankly at the closed doors that Pete walked through.