Chapter One: Feelings

Partners-in-Crime(solving)

Chapter One: Feelings

October 13, 2015- 1:30 am

Haeri slammed her soju glass on the plastic table, letting out a soft, "Kah~"

Kyungsoo stared at her, concerned, his wide eyes focused on her.

"Damn you, Park Chanyeol," she muttered into the air. Grabbing the soju bottle, she began to pour some more soju into her glass; when Kyungsoo's hand pulled the bottle away.

"Yah!" she barked at him. "What are you doing?!"

"This is your eleventh glass," he reminded her. Haeri just ignored him, trying to reach the bottle he kept out of her reach.

"So?" she said. "I deserve eleven HUNDRED glasses for putting up with the likes of Park Chanyeol!"

"The Senior Inspector?" Kyungsoo asked, shocked. "What happened?"

"That bastard...he had the nerve to break up with me without a reason.... And now he has the nerve to talk to me like we're still friends," she scoffed. "Give me that bottle." Hesitantly, he passed the soju bottle to her and she poured herself another shot.

"You dated the Senior Inspector?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Yeah," she replied, holding the glass up but not drinking it, "when we were in university four years ago."

"And he just broke up with you? No excuse at all?" he continued.

"Yup...."

"Well...how did he treat today?"

"...."


That morning

“Ah, Haeri. How have you been?”

She stood there for a moment, just drinking him in. He looked the same…but different at the same time. Older…like he had matured a great deal during the past four years.

She cleared , which felt weirdly tight. “I-I’ve been alright. I see that you’re doing…fine.” She felt a little awkward sharing small talk with the guy she considered a spawn of Satan.

He chuckled at her. “It’s just like old times.”

She laughed along, a bitter undertone to her forced laughs. Old times…right.

“I hope you’re prepared for this new position,” he said, grabbing a file from the side of his desk that Haeri imagined was hers. “I was reading your file when I heard that you were being transferred here. I was very impressed.”

Her heart fluttered again. But why? She didn’t even know.

“Thank you,” she accepted his praise humbly and shyly.

“As I expected, you’ve become a damn good officer,” he continued his praise. Her brown eyes met his soft ones. The warm look in them made Haeri momentarily lose her senses and melt. How can I still feel the same after four years?

“Anyways,” he said, breaking the eye contact between them, “I believe I should brief you on your responsibilities.”

Haeri cleared again; it felt even tighter after their “moment”. She gave a stiff nod and sat in the comfortable chair in front of his desk. With a flash of a smile, he began to brief her on her new duties and responsibilities. But, if Haeri was being honest to herself, she could care less on what was coming out of his mouth…it was his voice that she listened to.


1:30 am

“Ugh!” Haeri groaned, rubbing her hands over her face. “How? HOW? HOW?!?!?!?!”

Kyungsoo watched his friend, amused.

“What do you mean?”

“How can he still make me feel this way?” she demanded, staring at him with wide panicked eyes. “How can he still make my heart beat faster than ever with one look? I hate him! How?!? Why?!?” The alcohol was getting to her. As hilarious as the situation was, Kyungsoo decided that it was time for him to Haeri home. He called an employee for the bill, keeping an eye on Haeri the whole while.

“Damn you, Park Chanyeol! Damn you!” she cried, tears pouring out of her eyes. She put her head on the table, folding her arms over her head. Kyungsoo felt a little bit lost on what he should do, but he patted her on the top of her head.

“There, there,” he muttered. “Everything will get better, you’ll see?”

“Officer Do?” a deep masculine voice called out. The familiar voice made Haeri turn to stone momentarily. No….

“Oh, Senior Inspector Park,” Haeri heard Kyungsoo greet the very reason for her tears.

“And this is…?” Chanyeol asked, referring to Haeri. Adrenaline was coursing through her veins, and all the alcohol she had consumed the day before made Haeri feel more confident than she ever had in her life.

Her head popped out from the cradle of her arms, as she said, “It’s me.”

Chanyeol had a (cute) confused look on his face as he squinted to see Haeri’s face behind her smudged makeup.

“…Haeri…?”

“That’s right. It’s me,” she repeated, a bit of sarcasm in her tone. She stood up unsteadily on her feet. Kyungsoo held her hand as she teetered precariously on her own two feet.

“I didn’t know you and Officer Do were close,” he said lightly. She barked a laugh.

“We’re besties.”

Kyungsoo wanted nothing more than to run away from the very awkward atmosphere and tension. He looked back and forth between the absolutely hammered Haeri, who was glaring at Chanyeol with fire in her eyes, and Chanyeol, who was standing there with his hands in his pockets with a smile.

“Um….” he said. “Haeri, let me just pay for our bill inside. Wait out here, ok-“

“I can take her,” Chanyeol cut through. Kyungsoo stared at him with wide eyes.

“Pardon?”

What?!” Haeri shrieked. Chanyeol ignored her.

“Don’t worry, we’re friends. I can take her. She’s quite a handful when drunk,” he continued kindly.

“We are not fr-“ Haeri’s protestation was cut off when Chanyeol grabbed her wrist and softly coaxed her towards him.

“See you at work tomorrow, Officer Do,” Chanyeol called out as he guided Haeri away.

“Yah! What are you doing? Get your hands off….” Haeri’s angry shrieks rang out through the night as Chanyeol led her to his car.

As the two drove away into the darkness of the night, Kyungsoo could only laugh, dumbfounded, as he headed inside the small restaurant to pay for the soju and snacks.


A/N Hey guys! It’s been a while -.- Sorry…. I’ve been really busy with school and whatnot. I am sorry that it’s a short update, but I will have a longer one, hopefully, by tomorrow. By the way, have you guys voted for MAMA yet? I have! I do believe EXO is number one for Artist of the Year, but I could be wrong. I just know that our oppas are number one for a category J Fighting oppas! See you guys in the next update!

Please comment and subscribe! Really motivates me!