Prologue: The Beginning

Partners-in-Crime(solving)

Prologue: The Beginning

September 5th, 2008

Yoo Haeri walked slowly inside the giant building that was the Korean National Police University, looking around in wonder, her eyes wide and glistening. Wow...everything’s so...huge! She had moved from Busan to Seoul after saving up money, and now...finally! She was at her dream university; learning to do that one thing she always wanted to do...policing. Her father had been a police officer, but he was killed during some incident when she was young. There wasn’t much she knew about the whole affair, for she was very young when it happened, and her mother didn’t like talking about it. But she wanted to be a police officer; to be closer to her father in some way. Dad...are you looking down on me from heaven right now?

Her thoughts were broken when someone slammed into her. The impact was so big that she fell to the ground, on her knees.  She rubbed her sore shoulder and she looked up to see that the culprit was running away from her. From the back, she could see that it was a male.

“Sorry!” the guy yelled over his shoulder as he continued running. She scowled as she stood up, wiping the dust off her uniform. Her mood was definitely sour, but she wasn’t going to let that one accident ruin her mood. Hopefully, she wouldn’t have to see that guy ever again.

Quietly, she walked into the noisy lecture hall that she was going to sit in for the next four years and looked around for an empty spot. The place was packed and the noise level was off the charts as people began to chat, and make new friends. She slowly slid into a seat next to some boy who was pulling out all of his supplies out of his bag. She proceeded to do the same, feeling a little awkward. Should I say hi?

As she mentally prepared herself to greet her new classmate, the guy turned around and met eyes with her with a wide toothy smile. He had sort of messy, almost curly hair, and wide eyes framed with thick black glasses. He had cute fat cheeks.

“Hi! Nice to meet you, my name is-“ the boy started saying, but he suddenly stopped, a look of familiarity creeping across his face. “Oh, you’re....”

She studied his face as well, and then noticed that it was the boy who bumped into her! “Oh...you’re...the boy who just bumped into me in the hallway,” she said blankly, her eyes wide. He rubbed his neck in embarrassment as his friendly smile turned into a chagrined one.

“Yeah...sorry about that,” he apologized. “I thought I was late for class, so I rushed, but it turns out that my watch was a little bit ahead. I wanted to help you up but I thought I was late so....” He left the sentence hanging, avoiding her gaze.

All of the anger Haeri felt towards him before melted and turned into amusement. He really sounded genuinely sorry. “It’s okay,” she reassured him. “Why don’t we start over?”

He perked up at her question and stuck his hand out for her to shake. She took it, and they shook hands.

“I’m Park Chanyeol,” he introduced himself, his friendly smile returning.

“Yoo Haeri,” she returned, smiling widely.

And from that moment on, Yoo Haeri and Park Chanyeol swore to be best friends.

June 30th, 2009

Chanyeol gave a loud whoop as he, Haeri, and his friends Baekhyun, Kai, Chen, Xiumin, Suho, and Lay walked out of the university building.

“Finally, the first year is over!” he cheered. “I cannot believe how long it’s felt!” Haeri and the rest chuckled.

“It was all worth it though,” Suho inputted.  Kai gave a nod of agreement.

“So, what’s everyone doing tonight?” Baekhyun asked. “We should all celebrate!” The group murmured excitedly except Haeri.

“I can’t,” she sighed. “I have to head back to Busan as soon as possible. My parents want to see me immediately.” The boys groaned in disappointment. Chanyeol wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

“I wish I could go visit you,” he whined. “But my mom wants me to help out at the café all summer long.”

“There will be no point in any of you guys coming to visit me,” she laughed. “I’ll probably be working at my mom’s restaurant as well.” Lay opened his mouth to say something, but Haeri’s phone ringtone interrupted him. The caller ID said “엄마 (Mom)”. Shooting an apologetic glance at Lay, she picked up the phone.

“Yeobosaeyo (여보세요)?” she asked sweetly. Chanyeol shot her a confused look.

“Who is it?” he mouthed at her.

“My mom,” she mouthed back. He gave a nod of understanding and turned to make quiet conversation with the group.

“Oh, Haeri-yah,” her mom’s heavily accented voice greeted.

“Mm, umma,” she replied in her natural Busan accent, causing the guys to silently chuckle. They always found her Busan accent hilarious and cute for she always spoke in a Seoul accent to attract less attention.

“I just want to know when you’re ready to leave,” she replied. “I have to tell your uncle what time to pick you up at.”

Haeri smiled. “I’m getting on the four-o’clock train…and I’ll probably arrive at…six-thirty? Seven? Around that time.”

“Okay, I’ll let your uncle know. Bye,” her mom said.  After she hung up, Haeri checked the time. It was three-o’clock.

“I should go guys,” she said to the group. “I have to catch the four-o’clock KTX to Busan.”

“Okay, bye!” they all said to her. Chanyeol gave her one last squeeze around the shoulders as he dropped his arm.

“I’ll miss you,” he joked. She stuck out her tongue at him playfully.

“I’ll miss you too,” she cried to him as she walked away.

Yoo Haeri and Park Chanyeol really missed each other that summer.

September 5th, 2009

Haeri strutted towards her university, feeling happy and confident to start a new school year. She had grown prettier over that summer; losing some weight from working and growing her hair, bleaching it so it could be a nice light brown color that really suited her. But the thought of seeing Chanyeol again after so long made her heart stutter. Had he changed at all during the summer? Or was he still the same old Chanyeol?

“Haeri!” a familiar deep voice cried from behind her. She smiled before turning around. Chanyeol.

Turning around, she was stunned by the handsome young man standing before her. Is this…Chanyeol?!

He had gotten rid of the glasses that had framed his eyes, making his eyes seem bigger than ever. His hair was neatly cut instead of the sort of messy style it had before. All of the baby fat seemed to have disappeared over the summer, and this new Chanyeol was left before Haeri. He seemed to have grown taller as well.

Haeri was speechless.

“Wow, you’ve changed a lot!” he exclaimed, shocked, drinking in this new Haeri. She suddenly seemed like…a woman in his eyes.

“Y-you too,” Haeri managed to stutter out as she found her voice. The two awkwardly stood there, staring at each other.

Haeri’s heart began to pound wildly in her chest and her palms began to sweat. W-what is this feeling…?

Little did she know…Chanyeol felt the same way as he stared at her.

November 27th, 2009

“Happy birthday to you!” Kai, Sehun, Suho, Baekhyun, Chen, Xiumin, Lay, and Haeri sang. “Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, dear Chanyeol…happy birthday to you!” They were all at Chanyeol’s small apartment that was off campus, having a small party that Chanyeol had organized.

 Chanyeol gave them all a smile and then blew out all the candles in one go.

Haeri watched him affectionately, her heart swelling at the sight. Yes, she was in love with Chanyeol. She had figured it all out when she had heard him rap for the first time when their small group all went to noraebang (노래방) together. Obviously, she had not told Chanyeol, and it took her awhile to acknowledge it herself, but she finally did. She was in love with Chanyeol…and she was 100% that it was all unrequited. Oh cruel fate…

She sat there, zoned out, as she sipped at her glass of wine, thinking of her doomed love life, when Chanyeol tapped her on the shoulder. She snapped out of her funk and smiled at him sweetly. He smiled back and motioned for her to follow him out to the terrace. After giving him a questioning look, she agreed hesitantly, and followed him out to his balcony. The two of them did not notice the rest of the group elbowing each other and staring at the couple as they left.

After sliding the door behind her, Haeri stared at Chanyeol’s tense back, trying to figure out why he brought her out there.

“So…” she said awkwardly, slowly walking to his side. He didn’t turn to look at her.

“So…” he repeated, sounding nervous.

“Happy birthday,” she congratulated him quietly. He just nodded absentmindedly, taking a sip of his own wine.

“Why did you bring me out here?” Haeri asked, tired of the tension in the air. She also took a sip of the wine, feeling dry. What was this ominous feeling in her stomach?

“Do you want to know what I wished for?” Chanyeol asked suddenly, causing her to look at him, frowning.

“Did you even wish for anything?” she wondered, trying to remember if he did or not.

“I did it in my head,” he replied. She nodded slowly, in an understanding way.

“Aren’t you supposed to keep that a secret?” she asked, feeling…nervous for some reason. And yet…underneath that nervousness…she felt…excited.

“I think I’ll take a chance with this one.”

Suddenly, there was a pressure on her cheek as Chanyeol kissed it. Haeri froze. Did he just…?

She could feel her face heat up as elation rose up in the chest. He likes me too!

“S-sorry,” she heard Chanyeol stammer out, “I u-understand i-if you don’t like-“

She cut him off with a kiss on his cheek.

Embarrassed, she covered her red face with her hands. Chanyeol’s face was as red as a tomato’s.

“Fricking finally!” they heard Baekhyun’s muffled voice call out from behind the glass door. The two of them spun around to face their audience. Their friends had been observing the two of them since they closed the door.

“Yah!” Chanyeol yelled to them, embarrassed. Baekhyun, Chen, and Sehun made kissy faces at them as Suho and Xiumin tried to get them to stop. Lay just smiled at them.

Haeri giggled.

From that moment on, Park Chanyeol and Yoo Haeri were boyfriend and girlfriend.

May 12th, 2011

Haeri sat at her desk, reading her typed essay over and over again, checking for any false facts or grammar issues. Her concentration was broken when her phone started ringing. The caller ID read “남친 찬열이” (Boyfriend Chanyeol). She smiled. She really missed him today of all days. He had been distant over the past few weeks, only calling to make sure she had eaten and if she was okay. The two of them hadn’t been out of a date for a while. Haeri had missed him a lot.

“Hello?” she answered cheerfully.

“Haeri.”

She frowned. His voice sounded cold, distant.

“Hey, what’s up?” she asked in a happier tone, trying to make him sound brighter. She could feel his tension from the other end of the phone.

“Let’s break up,” he said suddenly.

She froze, and her heart broke.

What?

“What?!” she demanded. “Is..is this a joke?”

“I’m just not in the position to have a relationship.”

“You’re kidding me,” she scoffed. “You just told me a month ago that you were happy with the way we were going!”

“Well…maybe things have changed.”

“And what does that mean?” She could feel herself getting angrier and angrier as the hurt rose up. What is he doing?

“You know, I just wanted to end this on a good note, but I guess I can’t,” he snapped to her. “I’m tired of you. I’m tired of this. It’s over.”

The dial tone was the next thing she heard.

From that point on, Yoo Haeri hated Park Chanyeol.

October 9th, 2015

With a groan, Assistant Inspector Yoo Haeri rubbed her eyes as she listened to the young man, who was brought in for stealing, defend himself. It was quite a fruitless endeavour, for there was CCTV footage against him, but Haeri decided to humour him for a while.

“You see, Officer, I had put the phone card in my pocket and was fully intended to pay for it when-“ the young man was cut off when Haeri’s co-worker, Officer Cho, tapped her on the shoulder.

She turned to look at him tiredly when he said, “I’ll take over. The Senior Inspector wants to see you.” She smiled at him gratefully as she stood up, heading to the Senior Inspector’s office. She gave a small knock, when she heard a smooth voice telling her to come in.

Her Senior Inspector was rather young for that high place of authority. He was only about thirty-three-years-old, and had been in the position at the Busan Haeundae Police Station for about ten years.

“You wished to see me, Senior Inspector Park?” she asked. He smiled at her warmly.

“Come, take a seat,” he told her. She nodded and sat down in the uncomfortable seat in front of his desk.

“You’re getting transferred to the Seoul Metropolitan Police Academy,” he told her bluntly. She was stunned.

“Why? I like it here at Busan, sir,” she protested.

“Think of it as a promotion,” he replied. “You’re going to be an Inspector over there.”

She was flabbergasted. “…Really?”

The Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency was thought of as the center of the entire police force, and she…was going to be an Inspector there….

She smiled widely. The world seemed like a bright and happy place for once.

Her own father had been an officer at the SMPA, and now…she was following in his footsteps. Are you proud of me, Dad?

“You’ll be working under Senior Inspector Park Chanyeol.”

Suddenly, the world seemed very dark.

“Excuse me?” she asked, her mood going down. “I’m sorry, but…did you just say Park Chanyeol?”

Senior Inspector Park nodded. “He’s very good at his job, and treats his subordinates fairly. He’s extremely hardworking and friendly; I think you two will get along.”

“Is there any way that I can…reject this promotion?” she asked carefully. SMPA be damned, she did not want to see Park Chanyeol ever again!

Senior Inspector Park eyed her curiously. “Why do you not want the job?”

Haeri hesitated. How was she supposed to explain that her new superior would be her ex-boyfriend who broke up with her over the phone without a real reason? She thought it over in her head, but then decided not to say anything, for she would sound whiny and unprofessional.

“No,” she said, clearing . “I was just wondering….” Again, he gave her a curious look, but then moved on.

“You will start Monday of next week. I wish all the luck in the world to you, Inspector Yoo Haeri,” he said cheerfully, standing up and offering her a handshake. She quickly stood up and shook his hand, bowing slightly.

“Thank you, Senior Inspector Park.”

October 12, 2015 (Monday)

She stood outside the Seoul Metropolitan Police Academy, hesitant to go in, knowing what was waiting for her on the other side. Taking in a few deep breaths, she slowly walked up the stairs into the police station, each footstep feeling heavier than the last.

“Haeri!” a voice called out. She spun around and faced Do Kyungsoo, one of her friends who had worked at the Busan station with her for a year before getting transferred to the SMPA. They had kept in touch over the years and he was ecstatic to know that she was going to work at the same station as him.

“Kyungsoo!” she called. They shared a quick hug.

“Are you excited?” he asked her as they walked into the station together, Haeri felt a little happier as she matched his fast pace.

“Not really,” she replied. He did not know about her history with his Senior Inspector. Even the thought of him left a sour taste in .

“Why?” he asked, genuinely surprised by her response. When they had been colleagues, she always talked about how she wished to be transferred to the SMPA, because her late father had worked there as an officer before he was killed. She had been so sad when she heard that he would be the one to go to SMPA instead of her.

“I’ll tell you later,” she murmured to him. “I have to go see the…Senior Inspector right now.” Kyungsoo nodded and waved at her before heading to his little cubicle.

She stopped in front of the door labelled: Senior Inspector. Taking another few deep breaths, she worked up her courage. Come on Haeri. You can do this. You can face him and act like this means nothing. That you’re still not hurt over the fact that he broke up with you with no reason. Come on. Act like a grown woman!

With those words running through her head, she knocked on the door.

“Come in,” a familiar deep voice called out, slightly muffled. Her heart sped up. How could his voice still have the same effect on her as it did before?

Stop it, heart!

She opened the door and walked in, closing it shut behind her. She met eyes with him as soon as she looked up. He was smiling brightly.

“Ah, Haeri,” he greeted. “How have you been?”

All Yoo Haeri wanted to do at that point was strangle Park Chanyeol.


A/N Finally! For once, I had time to write out this idea for a story I had locked in my head. I have started two other AsianFanfics but I always lose the inspiration to finish them :/ But I swear I will finish this! The first chapter will be up sometime this week, and I will announce my uploading schedule then. And I know a lot of you might be wondering why Chanyeol randomly broke up with Haeri, but this will be ultimately revealed as the story progresses J

Please subscribe and comment, it means the world to me!

See you in the next chapter!