Saturday: I Miss You, Part One

Seven Days
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was six in the morning and all Youngjae was doing was stare at the clock.  He watched the minutes tick by without really thinking much of it. On a typical Saturday, he’d usually sleep in until eleven but today he awoke super early. He lies in bed for another hour or so until his stomach started to growl. Tossing his comforter off of him, he made his way to the kitchen. Since it was a Saturday, everyone else in his family slept in as well.

He looked in the fridge but saw nothing that spiked his appetite. He checked the cabinets and decided that a package of surgary donuts and Hot Cheetos would do. He brought the junk food along with a soda to the living room. He flipped through the channels and settled on a marathon of Harry Potter. He sunk further into the couch to get comfortable and munched on his unhealthy breakfast. Half way through the movie he got a text from Yugyeom.

 

To: Jae hyung

From: The Yugz

How are you holding up?

 

Youngjae stared at the message. Yesterday after school Yugyeom and Bambam showed up at his house. Both were furious after finding out what happened. He was shocked at the fact that they found out so soon and from Jaebum himself.

 

“How could he do that?!” Yugyeom shouted out. He was on Youngjae’s bed, hands playing with a rubix cube that Youngjae had.

“Why didn’t you say anything right after it happened?” Bambam asked, worry emanating throughout his body.  

“After it happened I just wanted to be left alone,” Youngjae started to explain, “I spoke with my mom about it later that night and she gave me some pretty good advice.”

“Well at least you talked to someone,” Bambam said, “what are you going to do now?”

“He’s gonna stay away from Jaebum. He doesn’t need him around.” Yugyeom answered.

“I wasn’t asking you, this is Youngjae’s business. Besides this wouldn’t have happened if you hadn’t encouraged him in the first place.” Bambam shot back.

“How was I supposed to know Jaebum was going to be a !” Yugyeom argued in return.

“Guys stop it.” Youngjae butted in. The two friends glared at each other but said nothing further.

“I’m not sure what to do. I don’t really want to see him.” Youngjae explained, referring to Bambam’s question.

“Today’s what? Friday. You only have two more days, I don’t see a need to see him anymore.” Yugyeom said. Youngjae nodded his head, but said nothing.

“But do you still like him?” Bambam asked.

“He may have been a jerk, but I still like him. Pathetic, right?” Youngjae said.

“No, it’s not. He was your first crush, it’s understandable.” Bambam said.

“Maybe that’s why they call them crushes. They hurt you in the end.” Youngjae countered back. The trio stayed quiet after that, Bambam and Yugyeom looking at Youngjae while the older friend looked at his hands.   

“Whatever you decide to do hyung, we’re behind you all the way.” Yugyeom said. Bambam agreed with the notion with a thumbs up.

“Thanks guys.” Youngjae smiled at his friends. And they could tell it was genuine because it reached his eyes.


It was probably too long for Youngjae to reply because he got a call from Yugyeom. He was brought back to reality when the ringtone started. He answered, not wanting to keep his friend waiting.

“Hey Yugyeom.”

“How are you holding up?” Yugyeom repeated what he’d messaged.

“I’m okay. Same old, same old. What are you up to today?” Youngjae didn’t feel like talking about Jaebum or anything relating to him, so he changed the subject. It seemed to have worked because Yugyeom didn’t add to it.

“I just woke up. I’m getting ready so I can meet up with Mark hyung later.” Yugyeom replied.

Youngjae straightened up with that “You and Mark hyung? Since when were you two close?”

“We have class together but we didn’t start talking until we started sitting at lunch and we got paired up in an assignment.” Yugyeom explained.

“Do you like him?” Youngjae asked because the tone in his friend’s voice sounded different from before. Almost lovestruck.

“Yeah, I do. I’ve always had my eyes on him but I was too afraid to say anything.”

Youngjae felt like he was punched in the stomach. He was such a lousy friend, “Yugyeom I’m sorry. Here I am with my own love lift, if that’s what you can call it and here you are with your own. How come you didn’t say anything?”

“It’s okay hyung. You have a lot going on and I didn’t want to say anything.” Yugyeom said.

“No, you should’ve told me anyway. It’s not fair that you listen to me rant but you can't talk about what’s on your mind.” Youngjae scolded his friend.

“Okay, I’m sorry hyung. I’ll keep that in mind.” Yugyeom chuckled at how Youngjae tried to sound stern. It was cute.

“So you and Mark. How did it happen?”

Yugyeom went on to explain that in the class he had Mark, they were paired up for an assignment. Yugyeom had done most of the talking during class and that they had to do the rest of the assignment for homework. So they decided that after school they would go to the library.

As Youngjae recalled the day, he realized it was his and Jaebum’s first date. He shook his head and continued to listen to his friend, excited to hear what would happen next.

“So we were in the library looking through the books we needed but I was just staring at Mark hyung.”

“And…” Youngjae pressed.

“When he looked up, I leaned in and kissed him.”

“Youngjae spat out the soda he had just taken a sip from, “What?!”

By this time his family had already woken up. His mom was busy in the kitchen making breakfast. When she heard her son shout, she stuck her head out from behind the wall that separated the kitchen from the living room. She looked at her son curiously and mouthed 'what was wrong'.

“It’s Yugyeom.” he said. His mother looked at him but said nothing more and she went back to cooking. After his mom had left, Youngjae went back to his conversation.    

“You kissed him?” he was still flabbergasted, “what happened afterwards?”

“It wasn’t a kiss but more like a peck on the lips.” Yugyeom began to explain, “I leaned back fast to see his face. Mark hyung looked surprised and then I told him I liked him, for a while now.”

“What did he say?” Youngjae was already too engrossed with the story that he didn’t notice his sister snatching the remote from him and changing the channel to some chick flick.

“He stayed quiet for a while but  I saw his ears turn red. He was avoiding eye contact with me too. Then he looked at me and said he liked me too.”

“So are you guys going out now?”

“Today’s our first real date, going to the library Tuesday and Thursday and hanging out with you guys on Wednesday don’t count as dates. At least that’s what Mark hyung said.” Yugyeom finished off.

“Wow, I’m so happy for you. I’m just bummed since you didn’t tell me sooner.” Youngjae said, “Does Bambam know?”

“Sorry hyung, I wanted to tell but I had to be certain first. And Bambam knows, I told him last night as we were walking home from you house.”

“Oh, okay. Where are you guys going?” Youngjae asked.

“Not sure, we haven’t really planned anything. We’ll probably just walk around downtown or something.” Yugyeom answered.

“Well have fun and tell me how it went afterwards.” Youngjae said.

“Okay, I will. I gotta go, talk to you later.” Yugyeom said.

“Okay, laters.” Youngjae said. After hanging up, Youngjae went into the kitchen to see his parents and brother eating breakfast. He served himself his portion, since he was still hungry and sat down.

“Your sister isn’t going to eat?” His mother asked.

“She’s on a diet, so she only had a smoothie. Though I don’t think it’s working since she’s eating whatever Youngjae left in the living room.” Youngjae’s older brother said. They look to see their sister/daughter munching on chips while a donut was in her other hand. His mother shakes her head and continues eating.

“So what are planning on doing today Youngjae?” His mother asked him.

“Nothing really. I got off the phone with Yugyeom just now and he's got something going on and Bambam messaged saying that he and his family have to go back to Thailand for a few days. He left an hour ago.” Youngjae said.

“Why does he have to go back?” this coming from his father.

“His grandparents still live over there and his grandmother is having surgery.” Youngjae explained.

“Is it serious?” His mother asked concerned.

“He’s not sure. His parents just told him this morning, so I'm guessing it is.” Youngjae replied.

“Well I hope she gets better soon.” His mother said.

“Yeah me too

Please log in to read the full chapter