Drabble #7 - JongTae

Of Scarves and Hot Chocolate

Jonghyun didn’t show up to their designated lunch break corner. Taemin waited with the lunch Jinki had prepared for him. Walking was hard that day, he had sat down on the sofa for the movie night the day before and he should have known his hip would not be impressed by the overly soft cushions. Thankfully his PE teacher was a nice and considerate woman who didn’t force him to participate. She didn’t demand a letter from a doctor – after he had explained the problem to her, and the fact that no doctor seemed to take him serious enough to look for a diagnosis.

 

When Jonghyun still hadn’t arrived ten minutes into the break, Taemin sighed heavily and started to limp in the direction of Jonghyun’s classroom. He never knew what hurt more – his hip or the fact that no one looked at him when he couldn’t walk.

 

He didn’t have to go far. In an otherwise deserted hallway, three boys and one girl stood around a figure that seemed to be pressed against the wall between the two bathrooms. Taemin’s blood was rushing in his ears from pain and exhaustion, so he couldn’t make out most of what they were saying, but when two of the boys moved a bit, and he could see the terrified face of his boyfriend, he knew exactly what was happening. Never one to like active confrontations, he shouted “Hey guys did you hear? They’re giving out free pizza in the cafeteria today!”

 

There was a noticeable pause, then the four kids quickly scurried away, without even looking back.

 

Jonghyun stayed where he was. He had his bag clutched to his chest tightly, like a shield.

 

“Jonghyun?” Taemin limped closer. “Are you alright?”

 

“It’s B Time.” Jonghyun replied instead through trembling lips. “Stay outside and warn me if someone comes in?”

 

Taemin nodded and watched as his boyfriend disappeared into the women’s bathroom. Jonghyun and his mother had fought a long fight for him to be allowed to use the men’s bathroom and Taemin was glad that the principal had finally seen reason and allowed it. Jonghyun seemed much happier now. But the principal’s open resistance had shown some other kids that it was a controversial issue and that Jonghyun could openly be called out. It had suddenly made school much harder. Especially since, when Jonghyun was on his period, he wanted to use the women’s bathroom. Taemin couldn’t even pretend to understand but Jonghyun said it helped his dysphoria in a weird way. Taemin had the suspicion that Jonghyun didn’t quite get it himself.

 

Jonghyun helped Taemin to their lunch break corner where they stood, leaned against the wall, their shoulders touching.

 

“Thank you for earlier.” Jonghyun finally said. “I know it must’ve hurt to come all the way there.”

 

Taemin puffed his chest out, proudly. He loved being useful to other people. It didn’t happen nearly often enough, sadly. “Don’t worry, I’m glad I did. Don’t listen to them, they’re stupid, by the way.”

 

“I know, it’s just..” Jonghyun bit his lip until his became white underneath his teeth. “I’m just so used to be called by my real name you know? Since the teachers do it… But they called me Junghee just now and now I feel all wrong.”

 

Taemin didn’t often feel pity for Jonghyun (he felt like it would be unfair to Jonghyun, who was so strong and formidable in his opinion) but it happened in moments like this. He couldn’t help it. That others had so much power over something Jonghyun was never able to control must be a constant, awful feeling.

 

“Come here,” he muttered and lifted one arm so Jonghyun could snuggle under it. Taemin had never been good with words and even worse when it came to comforting people. But he knew that Jonghyun just needed reassurance sometimes. And Taemin would never tire of reminding him that he was loved, because of all the things that made him Jonghyun.

 

 

(meh.) ❤❤❤

(thank you so much for the comments, they make me incredibly happy)