Drabble #6 - MinKey

Of Scarves and Hot Chocolate

Kibum had been eyeing Minho strangely for the last few days. Of course, Minho had noticed. He might seem a bit naïve sometimes but he always paid close attention to the people around him. He hated the idea of missing something. And he loved being able to show others that he cared, no matter how small the gesture. So, naturally, he was especially attentive of Jinki and Kibum, finding the thought that maybe they could be unhappy or annoyed with him without his knowledge unbearable.

 

Kibum had had a weird look on his face whenever he looked at Minho.

 

Eventually – finally – Kibum invited Minho to go walk the dogs with him. He did that quite often, ask either Minho or Jonghyun or Taemin to accompany him (especially Jonghyun volunteered way more often than the other two, he was obsessed with dogs). But something felt different that time and Minho knew the strange looks had come to an end.

 

They spent the first part of the walk in silence, just occasionally laughing at Comme Des and Garcons rolling around and over each other. Sometimes Minho envied the dogs. They had no real boundaries to worry about. And even if there were boundaries, they made sense. (Peeing in the house was a no-go so Comme Des and Garcons didn’t do it, but there was no need to question that boundary. It made sense.)

 

“Minho?” Kibum broke the silence with a hesitant voice. Minho made a sound to show he was listening. He felt a bit surreal for a moment since he was already taller than Kibum. “Do you… Do you feel neglected lately?”

 

It was obvious that Kibum had selected the words carefully and that, together with the actual content of the question, made Minho stop dead in his tracks. “Neglected?” He echoed, a bit dumbly. “Me?”

 

Kibum nodded. “Jinki and I were wondering… We’re so occupied lately with Taemin’s problems and getting to know Jonghyun and his identity that we’re afraid that we didn’t give you the attention you deserve.”

 

Minho stared at Kibum, thinking about the last couple of months and was startled when he suddenly felt tears prickle in the corner of his eyes. He gulped. “Maybe,” his voice came out as a raspy croak (puberty hadn’t quite left him yet). “Maybe a bit.”

 

The tears spilled over silently, pushed out by the sudden force of repressed feelings. It was all Minho could do, to stop himself from outright sobbing.

 

“Oh, no, Minho, no,” Kibum asked and pulled Minho into a hug. It was a bit awkward and Minho wished he was a bit smaller so he could just be enveloped by Kibum. But nonetheless, Kibum was his hair and felt like the taller person. It was nice. But the tears kept on coming.

 

“I’m so sorry Minho. I’m sorry we forgot how much you care about others and how you always try to be easy to be around. We should have made sure to give you enough room to be yourself. I’m so, so sorry.” Kibum sounded like he was about to cry but he didn’t. Minho felt selfish but he was glad. He wanted to be comforted, not be obliged to do the same.

 

“I thought I was myself the whole time.” He said after thinking about Kibum’s words for a few moments. “I didn’t feel like a different person.”

 

“That’s not what I meant.” Kibum led them to a nearby bench. It was very cold to the touch but they would be fine for a few minutes. “I just meant that you weren’t all of yourself. There wasn’t enough room to be everything you are. And I admire you Minho, I admire you so much for being able to do that. You’re an amazing person and Jinki and I are so, so blessed to have you in our lives.”

 

Minho just stared at him, tears running like an endless stream. He felt torn open, raw and in front of Kibum. But he also felt like Kibum had righted something inside of him. Like tearing him open had been necessary to reach the part of him that had become dysfunctional. It hurt. But it hurt in a way where you know that the pain will make it better than it had ever been before.

 

They eventually got up and started the walk back the house. Minho was clinging onto Kibum hand. Let the other people look at them shrewdly and judge them. They knew nothing. It was close to home, Comme Des and Garcons had already run ahead to head- into Jonghyun who just arrived, when Kibum turned to look at Minho again. “Minho, you don’t have to change anything about yourself it you don’t want to.” Minho’s eyes widened, how had Kibum known?! “I just want you to know that Jinki and I think you’re a formidable person and we will do our best to be worthy to be loved by you. Please let us try.” He looked so earnest, so vulnerable when he said those words, the sobs Minho had repressed burst out. He sobbed into Kibum’s shoulder, on the pavement in the middle of the conservative, suburban neighbourhood his real parents adored so much, until Jinki came and gathered them both up in his arms.

 

“Hey you two,” he murmured as he gently led them towards the house. “Jonghyun told me to get you. He’s preparing hot chocolate right now. What do you think about a family movie night?”

 

Minho and Kibum both turned to look at him with their tear-streamed faces and nodded. “Yes, please!” They said in unison.

 

 

(I kinda managed to make myself cry so I couldn't proofread, sorry -_- Where did that even come from?!) ❤❤❤