Drabble #9 - OnTae

Of Scarves and Hot Chocolate

 

Jinki sat in his office, grading papers. He had two more hours until his next lecture began and if he wanted to go to that spa with Kibum, he needed to finish those papers as soon as possible. He had just put an abysmal paper away when his phone screen lit up with a new message.

 

From: Lee Taemin
Jinki? Could you pick me up?

 

Jinki frowned as he looked at the text. Technically he couldn’t, getting to Taemin, bring him home and get back to the university in time for his lecture would never work. He was just about to say so to Taemin, when another message came in.

 

From: Lee Taemin
Please? I don’t think it’s ever been this bad before.

 

Jinki swore under his breath. When Taemin – who had once collapsed on the short way from the kitchen to the dining table, in tears – pleaded to this extent, it must really be unbearable.

 

Jinki sighed.

 

To: Lee Taemin
I’ll be there in 20 minutes. I hope you like Strauss.

 

Taemin was standing at the school’s entrance door when Jinki arrived, not next to the road as he usually did when Jinki picked him and Jonghyun up. His face spoke volumes of the pain he was in. Jinki greeted him cautiously and took his bag. “Can I do anything at all to help?”

 

Taemin’s ashen face turned to him. “Maybe get the car a bit closer?”

 

Jinki shook his head. “Sorry, I would get a fine if I did that.” He pondered for a while, trying to remember everything Taemin and told them so far, and what he and Kibum had noticed on their own. Carrying Taemin bridal-style wouldn’t hurt any less than walking, same with a piggyback ride. Taemin usually just used their arms to hold himself up and put some pressure off his leg. An idea started to form. He told Taemin to wait there – he ignored Taemin’s eye-roll and the muttered “where would I go?” – and quickly brought Taemin’s bag to the car. Then he went back and stepped behind Taemin.

 

“Alright, let’s try it this way.” Jinki announced. He stepped closer to Taemin and held his arms at 90°, with his elbows touching his sides. Now Taemin was between his forearms.

 

“Jinki? What are you doing?” Taemin asked slowly, sceptically.

 

“Your arms are strong enough to hold you up for a bit, right? And I know that I can carry you for a bit, definitely to the car. Just put your arms on top of mine and hoist yourself up. That shouldn’t put any pressure on your hip.”

 

Taemin turned around, even though the brief flicker in his eyes told Jinki how much it must hurt and stared. “That is one of the weirdest things someone has ever said to me.” He declared. “And I already knew Jonghyun when he went through his Ouran High School Host Club phase.”

 

Jinki chuckled. He didn’t know whether he was relieved or disappointed he had missed that. “Come on, I have a lecture soon and I know I’ll have to drive slowly.”

 

Slowly, Taemin did as he was told. Jinki did his best to help hoisting him up and immediately started walking when they managed. Taemin was indeed heavy. But the boy’s breathing didn’t really change on their way, so Jinki was confident that he wasn’t hurting any more than he did before. When they reached the car, Jinki lowered Taemin down very gently and Taemin made sure he only landed on the left leg.

 

“That was surprisingly nice.” He admitted. “But please don’t carry me into the lecture like that.”

 

“Don’t worry,” Jinki laughed and got into the driver’s seat. Taemin sat down on the other side, scrunching up his face at the onslaught of pain the movement caused. “As soon as we’re there I’m gonna get you one of the university’s wheelchairs. We don’t have a lot but I know there are two in a room close to my office. What happened anyway? You were fine this morning?”

 

“We had a substitute in PE.” Taemin replied, his speech dotted with short pauses as he winced at every non-smooth movement the car made. “She didn’t believe me and made me run. I didn’t last long.”

 

Jinki felt anger boil up inside him. He knew that boys in Taemin’s age could be cheeky and sometimes downright rude and that teachers could have a hard time. But that particular teacher must have the wrong job if they couldn’t see the sincerity in Taemin’s voice and face when he talked about his pain. Even when Jinki and met him for the first time, concerned about Minho’s claim that a complete stranger on the street asked for painkillers, as soon as he had talked to Taemin any doubts had vanished. Taemin was not making any of this up. He was truly and horribly in pain and Jinki had half a mind to pay that substitute teacher a nice visit the next day – with only a small bit of screaming involved. Maybe he should send Kibum.

 

“Don’t worry Tae,” he smiled comfortingly. “Once Jonghyun is back from his trip with his mom and sister and you can really start with that doctor you and Key went to, you will be better. And now I’m gonna put on Strauss so you will know what I will be talking about for the next two hours. You can do your homework of course.”

 

Taemin just smiled gratefully and nodded, his hand tight around the door handle in the hopes to take the pressure off his hip at least a little bit.

 

 

(I'm sorry that there wasn't a drabble yesterday, JongKey will be coming soon!) ❤❤❤