Drabble #8 - Onho

Of Scarves and Hot Chocolate

Standing in front of his parents‘ home together with Jinki, Minho almost felt like throwing up. It felt wrong to mix his two lives. And it may sound weird but Minho felt afraid for Jinki. He didn’t want Jinki to be sullied by the poisoned atmosphere of his home. Jinki didn’t deserve to be subjected to that. Jinki belonged with Kibum and Comme Des and Garcons, somewhere warm and comfortable and affectionate. Not with Minho’s parents where your teeth could chatter from the cold atmosphere.

 

Jinki rang the doorbell. Minho had the keys of course. But the occasion didn’t feel like it would be appropriate. His parents had to let Jinki in.

 

Minho’s mother opened the door. She stared at the stranger in front of her for a while until her gaze flickered to her son who was halfway hidden behind the older man. “Yes?”

 

(Minho flinched at her tone.)

 

“Hello, I’m Professor Lee Jinki from the Seoul University. I would like to have a word with you and your husband?”

 

“Of course.” She said slowly and took a moment until she stepped aside to let them in. She stared at Minho as he walked past her and he winced.

 

He led Jinki to the living room. “Would you like anything to drink?” His voice sounded stiff, even to his own ears but Jinki just smiled and shook his head.

 

“No, I’m fine. Just sit down Minho.” Jinki sounded as pleasant as always and it soothed Minho’s frayed nerves. It was the same voice Jinki used when he told Kibum that his new fashion line would be success or when he assured Minho that his next text in maths would go well.

 

Minho sat down on another sofa – his parents’ living room had three sofas. Minho’s parents entered the room then.

 

“Minho, why does our guest not have a drink yet?” His mother immediately snapped. Minho cowered.

 

“Oh, no, he offered. But I’m not thirsty so I declined.” Jinki smiled widely.

 

Minho’s parents sat down on the remaining sofa, putting as much difference as possible between them.

 

“I’m sure you’re aware that Minho is spending a lot of time with me and my partner lately.” Jinki began without preamble.

 

Mrs Choi nodded.

 

“We really like having him with us.” Jinki continued when he got no real reply. “So we were thinking how nice it would be to celebrate Christmas with us.”

 

There. The bomb had dropped. Minho held his breath and looked his parents. Hoping fervently. For what, he wasn’t entirely sure.

 

Minho’s father cleared his throat, looked at his wife for a short moment and then replied, “I think I’m speaking for both of us when I say that we are both fine with it. When Minho would prefer it that way, who are we to tell him to do otherwise?”

 

My parents!! That’s who!! Minho wanted to scream but his throat was completely clogged up. He stared at his parents incredulously. Of course he wanted to spend Christmas with Jinki and Kibum and Taemin. He couldn’t even imagine spending it with his parents. But to have them dismiss him so readily, so easily, not even pretending they would like to share the holiday season with them hurt more than Minho thought it still had a right to, after so many disappointments. Out of the corner of his eyes, Minho could see Jinki look at him for a second, then the professor got up and bowed slightly. “Thank you very much then. I think Minho will spend the next few days at our place. I’m sure you won’t mind.” And with that, he took Minho’s hand and pulled him out of the house.

 

Minho couldn’t remember much of the way back home, but he found himself on the warm, wide sofa, cocooned in his favourite blanket with the TV running, showing an Audrey Hepburn movie. Jinki came into the room, carrying two mugs of what Minho knew to be filled with hot chocolate.

 

“May I be granted entrance?” Jinki asked with a soft smile and Minho nodded, lifting up a corner of the blanket. Jinki slid underneath and put the mugs down on the low table to wrap his arms around Minho. “We love you a lot Minho,” he whispered over the sound of the classical music in the background of the movie. “And we’re very happy that you will spend Christmas with us. Very, very happy.”

 

Minho sniffed, feeling pathetic that he needed both Kibum and Jinki to reassure him in just a few days. But he was also thankful that Jinki seemed to understand his feelings of betrayal without having to ask.

 

“I love you guys,” he whispered brokenly. “I really, really do.”

 

“And we’re blessed to have you, Minho.” Jinki replied softly, letting go of him to push the slightly cooled down hot chocolate into his hands.

 

 

(Because indifference is worse than hatred) ❤❤❤