5/?

Eyes closed, head first (can't lose)

+5 bad luck: 4304


A week passes by—at a snail's pace, Minghao might add—but Jun manages to stay oblivious to the fact that there was even a dog in the apartment in the first place, much to Minghao's amazement and Soonyoung's relief. On one hand, Minghao feels a little bad for pawning the tiny thing off too Seungcheol but, on the other hand, he secretly hopes that if he keeps quiet enough and doesn't ask about the dog, the older boy will just keep him forever. It's a hopeful thought but alas it isn't written in the stars or whatever people think fate is. Why can't anything go his way? Seungcheol, looking as tired as Minghao felt, seems to have went through Hell and back; not without injuries no doubt. “Minghao,” the brunette starts with a tired sigh that can not mean anything good, “you know I love you, right?”

 

Minghao hums and thinks back to the time in seventh grade Seungcheol threatened a group of bullies that picked on him religiously to leave him alone, having no backup (or backup plan) whatsoever. Honestly, if that wasn't love, he doesn't know what is.


“Yeah...?” He drags the word out questioningly, bracing himself for the worst. The older man has the same look Mingyu wore when he had accidentally broke a string on Jisoo's prized guitar. Just goes to show you that psych. majors should just stay far away from anything remotely musical. “Okay, just tell me the bad news before I have a panic attack or something.”

 

Fingers squeezing the pages of his child development book, Minghao holds his breath as Seungcheol opens his mouth.

 

“I can't keep the dog anymore.”

 

Minghao whines out all high-pitched and pitiful causing a few students in the library to glare at him, but he doesn't care because Jun is so going to kill him, “What? Why? Hyung, do you want me to die?”

 

The elder throws a pitiful smile, “Why would you die? Isn't this because of Soonyoung?”

 

And yeah this is all totally Soonyoung's fault (screw whatever promise he made, he was so throwing the idiot under the incoming freight train that is Jun's fury) but Minghao has a feeling, a gut feeling if you will, that blares angrily at him on repeat that it's him Jun will no doubt hunt in the end. He suppresses a shudder.

 

“Do you think he'll kill me slowly,” Minghao mutters, hands clinging onto his hair as he desperately tries to stay sane, but that ship has sailed long ago. “I mean, he can't be that cruel, right? Soonyoung-hyung wouldn't let him kill me, right? Hyung, why aren't you saying anything!”

 

Seungcheol blinks, patting his back comfortingly but it does little in the 'comforting' area and feels a lot more like 'i'll-pray-for-you' because even the brunette knows the younger is royally screwed. It wasn't a matter of 'how' Jun will kill him but more of 'when' he'll kill him. If Minghao acts on his plan B fast enough (“you can never be too prepared,” he said to the response of all his friends rolling their eyes) he can be out of Korea before dinner and live as a dog sitter.

 

“I'm at least ninety percent sure you'll get into Heaven.”

 

“Gee, thanks...wait, why only ninety percent? Hyung...? Hyung!”

 

 

 

For someone who probably isn't going to face the brute of Jun's wrath, Soonyoung is just as frenzied as Minghao, if not a little more so. He watches the blonde in exhaustion pace in front of him, the occasional students whispering quietly amongst themselves as they give the duo an indiscernible look. People say eyes are often the window to the soul but Minghao's terrible at reading people unless they were blatant with their emotions like Seokmin.

 

His friends aren't of any help either, just extending their apologies and joking that they'll have Minghao cremated instead of buried. By the twentieth circuit Soonyoung completes, Mingyu speaks up with a grin, “Maybe Jun will like puppies now? I mean, who can hate puppies?!”

 

The brunette has always been the stupidly optimistic one.

 

“The longer you guys drag this out the more painful it will be,” Jisoo comments sagely, strumming his guitar languidly like one of the college student cliches he definitely embodies. All that's missing is him wearing sandals and having hippie long hair.

 

Minghao groans, feeling his pocket vibrates. Taking out his phone, he sighs in defeat. “Seungcheol-hyung already dropped the dog off at the apartment. He has to leave soon so we have to go,” he states to a reluctant looking Soonyoung.

 

As Minghao bids goodbye to all his unhelpful friends, Seokmin crushing him in a bear-hug as a 'just in case I don't see you again' which doesn't instill any confidence in him, the two blondes drag their feet off of the college grounds. Soonyoung suggests taking the bus back to the apartment this time, but Minghao can tell it's more because Soonyoung won't have the willpower to keep walking and will stop half-way through, but Minghao doesn't complain and obediently sits on the sky blue metal bench.

 

“So,” Minghao starts off awkwardly, ever since the fight-but-not-really-fight happened last week, he's been unable to talk casually with the older male. It's even gotten so suffocatingly awkward that Jun, who is hardly at the apartment when he is, has taken notice, but hasn't said anything, yet. “Why does Jun hate dogs so much?”

 

“Oh, I was wondering when you'd ask that,” Soonyoung responds with a smile. Minghao doesn't know if the blonde is just unable to read the atmosphere or just chooses to ignore the tension between them, “I wasn't there when it happened, but apparently his family had a dog when he was really little.” Soonyoung darts his tongue out to sweep over his lips, “It was a big dog, but then again Jun wasn't exactly as tall as he was back then,” he finishes with a soft laughter, much different than the boisterous one Minghao usually hears from him, “but it was a large dalmatian. I guess the dog didn't do so well around kids and when Jun tried to play with it—well, long story short Jun had to get stitches and a rabies shot.”

 

The bus pulls up once Soonyoung is done reciting the story; Minghao shudders at the end and can see why Jun might hate larger dogs, but smaller dogs can't cause that much harm, can they?

 

During the bus ride Minghao, like his socially inept self, stays glued to his phone and texts Seungcheol that they're almost there. Oddly enough, Soonyoung's presence is almost as large and demanding attention as Jun's, but in a much less intimidating way. No matter how hard Minghao tries to distract himself, playing mindless games, he catches himself just a centimeter shy of staring into Soonyoung's eyes. Anxiety bubbles in his stomach, his legs bouncing up-and-down and every fiber of his body screams to get away from the source of his misery. Luckily, Minghao has built up a tolerance for holding everything in and doesn't fling himself out the bus until it comes to a complete stop in front of the apartment villa.

 

“Thank god you guys are here,” Seungcheol whispers in relief, but his smile quickly turns into a frown, “Yah, what's the big deal about making me wait so long? What if Jun had come before you?”

 

Minghao smiles teasingly, “Don't worry hyung, I'm at least ninety percent sure you'll end up in Heaven.” Voice heavy with teasing as he repeats Seungcheol's phrase from this morning.

 

“Not funny, Hao,” the brunette sighs but the smile tugging at the corner of his mouth says otherwise, “well, if you guys are here, I'll leave Bagel to you.”

 

Soonyoung and Minghao say in the same confused tone, “Bagel?”

 

A loud bark answers back as the puppy runs from behind the couch, it's white fur a shade darker than what Minghao remembers. Minghao's worry suddenly dissipates and he focuses on nothing but the dog, picking the fluff ball up and rubbing his face against the soft fur. “Aww, who's a cute puppy? Did you have fun at Seungcheol-hyung's,” he asks in a cutesy tone.

 

Attempting to pry Bagel from Minghao's grip, the blonde sends a dark glare Soonyoung's way causing the older blonde to immediately halt, “So,” he starts, eying Minghao cautiously, “why is the dog's name Bagel?”

 

Bagel barks at the sound of his name, wriggling against Minghao's tight grip. Seungcheol and Soonyoung feel like they should be a little worried at the star eyes the youngest one is making at the tiny puppy.

 

“Umm, our friend Mingyu came by and he had a bagel, so when he bent down to pet the dog, well he took the bagel out of his hand.”

 

Soonyoung makes an 'o' with his mouth as he nods slowly.

 

“Well, I should get going.” Wrapping his jacket around him tightly, Seungcheol bows and opens the door, but not before shooting Minghao a stern look, “Minghao, remember that you didn't want to keep the dog because of Jun. I don't want to get a call from everyone saying how you're trying to bribe them into adopting the dog just so you can visit it.”

 

Minghao grumbles but nods. Satisfied with the response, Seungcheol walks out the door.

 

 

 

“Are you going to throw me under the bus,” Soonyoung asks with a small yawn, letting the puppy crawl on his stomach. Minghao stares down at the two with a fatigued look of his own. The two have spent a total of three hours calling tons of people, making sure to avoid Minghao's friends, who might be interested in adopting a puppy, but one-hundred phone-calls later they were still where they started. Soonyoung rolls onto his back, groaning as the dog nudges it's wet nose against his cheek.

 

Minghao stretches and sits up, “Is there a reason why I shouldn't?”

 

Soonyoung whines, the answer already evident, but he keeps pressing on. If there's one trait both Soonyoung and Jun possessed, it was being annoyingly stubborn. “He'll kill me.”

 

Minghao scoffs, annoyance bubbling up as he crosses his arms firmly over his chest, “No, he'll kill me for even trying to help you. Trust me, if you'd be dead way before this if he tried to maim you for every stupid stunt you pulled,” Minghao finishes with a exacerbated whisper.

 

Pushing the puppy away, Soonyoung sits up, eyebrows knitted with something foreign flashes across his eyes, but Minghao's too angry and tired to try and decipher what it is. Why can't Soonyoung just take responsibility? It's not like this is the first idiotic thing the blonde's done.

 

“Minghao, are you-”

 

Before Soonyoung can finish the door opens with a tired groan. Eyes widening, both the blondes snap their head towards the door to where a tired Jun stands, dress-shirt half-tucked with coal eye-liner smudged near his eyes. Bagel barks loudly, tiny body jumping slightly up at the force, before growling telling Jun to stay where he is.

 

Jun looks between the two blondes, a murderous glint in his eyes and voice devoid of any warmth, “Okay, which one of you dolts brought this mutt in?”

 

 

 

Much like Minghao feared (and totally called why didn't he follow through with plan B?) Jun gets angry at him for helping Soonyoung even though, technically, the dog has only stepped foot in the apartment twice. If anything, Jun should be grateful that he didn't refuse Soonyoung and helped because he's fairly sure the blonde would have cried.

 

Jun, leaning against the kitchen counter, pinches the bridge of his nose, “Okay, I get that Soonyoung wanted to help an abandoned dog, but why didn't you just bring it to a shelter instead of pawning it off to your friend?”

 

Minghao opens his mouth but all that comes out is a strangled “umm”. Yeah, he really had no excuse there. Pulling at the hem of his over-sized shirt, Minghao bites his lip. Jun, even while half-asleep and obviously exhausted just as they all were, was still intimidating and the glare Minghao was on the unfortunate end of made it harder for him to breath. Heart slamming against his chest, his inner voice takes over and whispers darkly into his ear.

 

“Junnie-hyung,” Soonyoung suddenly shouts, speaking up for the first time since Jun came in. “Don't be mad at Minghao, it was my fault.”

 

Jun growls, eyes turning into slits, “Fine, but we're getting rid of this dog. Now,” he punctuates the end of the sentence with a soft slam with the palm of his hand against the kitchen island.

 

“Like, now now,” Minghao utters with disbelief, wide-eyes staring at Soonyoung to see if he heard the Chinese male correctly. The look on Soonyoung's face, shock and something close to amusement, confirms that yes, Jun is dragging them out at nine to drop the dog off at an animal shelter.

 

“Are we at least going to take your car,” Minghao questions as the trio flock out of the door. The idea of wandering around Gangnam looking for a shelter open so late during the day didn't sound very appealing.

 

Jun doesn't stop, just keeps angrily walking to the elevator, not even bothering to give Minghao a cursory glance. “If you think I'm allowing that...thing, in my car, you're greatly mistaken.” Wow, Minghao thinks with widened eyes, you think that the dalmatian bit a limb off of the guy instead. Holding the puppy close to his chest, Soonyoung gingerly pets the dog's head, making sure he kept a safe distance away from Jun since the puppy seems to share the same resentment to the tall man. Minghao wonders if God has it out for him, standing between a male who probably wants to murder him and one who tried to stand up for him even though he acted like a complete donkey.

 

If there was a God lightning would strike him now and take him out of his misery.

 

“Minghao, hurry up,” Jun comments as he sees the younger man still standing in the elevator.

 

Dammit. Minghao glares up at the elevator roof, eyes squinted, as he mentally waves an angry fist up at Heaven.

 

“I'm coming!”

 

The air is cold and crisp, the sharp drop in temperature tracing its sharp nails down Minghao's spinal column as the thin blonde curls up more into himself, trying to make himself as small as possible. Daring to stare at Jun, he can't help but feel a little envious at how the tall brunette is seemingly unaffected by the wind chill. Jun's only wearing a thin button-up, red tie loose around his neck as the tail is half un-tucked, along with mid-night blue dress pants, black suspenders swaying freely by his legs.

 

Soonyoung's faring a little better than Minghao, the blonde slightly hunched over but Minghao assumes it's more to keep the dog warm than anything else. The dog looks snug though, wrapped in Soonyoung's jacket, its head the only thing sticking out.

 

“This is ridiculous,” Minghao grumbles quietly once Jun is a good ways away. He might not like the guy but that doesn't mean he has a death wish. He's pretty sure his chances to get into Heaven since he last saw Seungcheol has decreased quite a bit. “Couldn't we have just done this tomorrow,” he gripes, not really expecting an answer back, but Soonyoung just casts him a weary smile.

 

“Jun can be pretty impulsive,” Soonyoung grants, “but he means well...”

 

There's a distinct lack of confidence in the blonde's statement, if anything it sounds like Soonyoung was trying to convince himself of his best-friends behaviour. Minghao would like to add that maybe Jun meant well to Soonyoung, but everyone else might as well be peasants. And Minghao already knows too many people with complexes, half of his friends for example.

 

“You know, I can always hold the dog if it's starting to get too heavy for you,” Minghao offers, patting the dogs head.

 

Soonyoung laughs, “Nah, I'm afraid that if I give you the dog you really won't let it go. Thanks for the offer though.”

 

“Hahaha,” Minghao laughs listlessly, “I guess it would be kind of hard to give the dog up.” Soonyoung gulps as he watches Minghao give Bagel literal heart eyes again.

 

“Ah, Minghao, maybe you should stop petting-”

 

“I'm fine!”

 

Sighing, Soonyoung gives Jun a sheepish grin, shrugging his shoulders.

 

 

 

“Minghao, you have to let the dog go,” Jun heaves, shoulders tense, as he rubs his temple. In hindsight Soonyoung shouldn't have given Minghao the dog, he hadn't planned to, but his arms were cramping and he knew it would be a cold day in Hell before Jun willingly held a dog. So, technically, this was kinda Jun's fault too, and Minghao would gladly point that out if his face wasn't buried in Bagel's impossibly soft fur.

 

“Minghao,” Soonyoung urges gently, fingers gripping the boys shoulder. “I'm so sorry, miss,” he says, sending the worker a weak smile. The worker flushes but doesn't say anything, instead she keeps her fingers on Bagel and continues to gently yank the puppy.

 

“Minghao!”

 

Hearing the obvious anger in Jun's voice does the opposite of what the eldest hoped to achieve. Instead of letting the dog go, Minghao clutches the puppy tighter and curls in slightly, clenching his eyes shut. Sighing, Soonyoung sends a tired glance to his best-friend, tilting his head over to the row of chairs a few feet away. Jun grumbles a bit but goes to sit down. Trailing his fingers from the younger blonde's bony shoulders, down to his sharp waist, Soonyoung rests his chin on Minghao's shoulder.

 

Minghao freezes, his grip on the dog growing slack, as his cheeks heat up at the much too intimate skinship. Even though they're both wearing thick jackets it doesn't feel like enough, like there should be at least three more layers of clothing before Minghao would even be remotely comfortable with Soonyoung holding him. The shorter woman finally yanks Bagel free, the dog barking as he stares all wide-eyed at the two blondes. Quickly shoving Soonyoung away from him, Minghao wraps his arms around himself, staring distantly at the pale yellows walls behind the man.

 

“Well, at least that's over and done with,” Jun mutters quietly. Soonyoung just hums, looking back at Minghao every so often but the tall blonde just ignores it. The streets are still crowded, but Minghao can go at least a minute without getting in anyone's way.

 

Letting out a small yawn, he watches blankly as Soonyoung suddenly stops, his head snapping to the opposite side of the street.

 

“Look, a vending machine,” he shouts with glee; what an unusual adult.

 

“Soonyoung, , don't just run across the street!” Jun yells at the blonde but Minghao finds it rather ironic because right as the brunette says that, he does the same. He tilts his head slightly, debating if he should follow, and in a Mingyu-esque fashion that would most likely warrant Jisoo to have a heartattack, Minghao thinks 'screw it' and sprints across the road.

 

The vending machine is bright against the dark brick walls, glowing incessantly with it's unnatural light. Staring at the machine wearily, Minghao makes sure not to stand right in front of it. After all, with his luck, he wouldn't be surprised if the thing suddenly titled over and killed him.

 

“Minghao, are you okay?” Jun's throaty voice broke through his thoughts. Blinking, Minghao swiftly nodded his head. The look Jun sends him is skeptical but the brunette doesn't say anything.

 

“Eh, I guess Coke is okay,” Soonyoung hums happily, pressing the button as he waits patiently for the bottle. As the bottle hits the bottom of the machine with a solid 'thump' Minghao takes his phone out to check the time. Whoa, have they really been out for almost two hours? Looking through the group chat, he blanches at the stupid conversation—more so than usual—taking place. Minghao's about to type a message, saying how he can't believe they're all older than him, but before he can finish droplets of amber looking liquid hit his screen. Furrowing his eyebrows, he wipes the droplets with his finger. Looking up, a large puff of air escapes from his mouth as he hunches over, shoulders shaking violently as he sees Jun's disgruntled, and very soaked, face.

 

“Maybe I should have waited to open it,” Soonyoung says, staring down at his equally soaked shirt before looking back at Jun's reddening face. “H-hyung, are you okay...?”

 

Minghao can visibly see Jun's last nerve snapping.

 

“Am I okay? No, I'm not okay! Do I look okay?!” Jun shouts, hands balled into his hair as he stares angrily up at the sky. Minghao likes to imagine he's giving a big ol' middle-finger to The Universe.

 

“You know, that'll stain by the time we get to the apartment, walking on foot or not,” Minghao interrupts with amusement. This had to be some kind of poetic justice for Jun hating dogs, or maybe not, Minghao isn't a literature major. But he still finds it all very hilarious, although the baleful stare Jun sends him is enough for him to stop laughing. “R-relax, hyung,” Soonyoung interrupts, placing himself in front of Minghao.

 

“Y-yeah, hey, if you really care about the shirt that much we can just go to a laundromat,” Minghao suggests with fervor, eyes hopeful.

 

Jun's brows furrow but the anger in his body seems to dissipate. He and Soonyoung share an equally confused glance before both of them turn to the youngest, staring as if he had grown a second head.

 

“What's a laundromat?”

 

“Wait, are you serious?”

 

 

 

Minghao isn't sure what he should be more amazed about, that they found a laundromat open at eleven at night or that Jun and Soonyoung have literally never done their own laundry before. It's not even a full load of laundry, it's just their white shirts—ridiculous. Minghao watches, dumfounded, as Jun and Soonyoung hover over the white washing machine, curiously staring at the buttons but not moving. The laundromat is a mini ghost-town, just rows of empty white washers and dryers, the square machines waiting to be fed clothes.

 

Reclining against one of the plastic chairs that was anything but comfortable (“You're just too sensitive,” Jihoon gripes.) Minghao finally caves in and decides to help the two because he's so generous. Also, he really wants to get out of the freezing place and into the warm covers of his bed.

 

“Simple, right,” Minghao asks. Jun nods, determination written over his face like this was some sort of hard exam. If the guy wasn't such a prick eighty percent of the time Minghao would even dare to say he looks cute. He doesn't though and instead walks back to the row of empty chairs. He watches as the two idiots strip, baring their stomachs to the cold air and that's when Minghao decides he's had enough and looks down at his phone.

 

 

 

Why does it feel like Soonyoung and Jun are always half- or something? Maybe saying always was a stretch but-

 

“Hey.”

 

Minghao almost jumps out of his skin. Snapping his head up, he flushes brightly as Jun stands in front of him in all his shirtless glory looking like a model. The violent blush and rush of blood to his head makes Minghao feel a little dizzy, but he manages to let out a strangled noise that he hopes sounds like some sort of acknowledgment. Watching the man cautiously, Minghao stares anxiously at his phone. Why did Jun sit beside him? There are like seven other empty chairs, why did he choose the one next to him? Stop blushing Minghao the voices in his head screech but it's useless.

 

His phone buzzes and Minghao has never been more grateful for Mingyu's lacking sense of time. He diverts all his attention to writing a response, swiping over his keyboard. The brunette's asking about the dog because of course he is.

 

“Wait, where's Soonyoung-hyung,” Minghao questions, looking around the laundromat.

 

Jun pops his knuckles, “Bathroom. He had to wipe all the soda off, it was starting to get sticky.” Oh, that makes sense, Minghao thinks.

 

“Hey, umm, thanks. I mean, for helping Soonyoung out,” Jun goes on, a faint blush dusting his cheeks. The sight is so odd and foreign that Minghao commits it to memory. “Just remember what I said though, I don't need another pain in my ,” he finishes with that annoying smirk, nudging Minghao's head softly.

 

“You...really care about Soonyoung-hyung, huh?”

 

Jun doesn't answer, he doesn't have to though because the stare he gives the blonde as he exits from the bathroom says more than he probably ever would. Minghao shakes his head, both of them were a puzzle, a really awful puzzle that no doubt had a few pieces missing.

 

“Finally, they're done,” Jun grumbles once the dryer goes off. Standing up, Minghao meanders his way over to the duo only to stare at the white shirts in shock. Or should he say, what used to be white shirts. “What the hell...”

 

“Did you, did you put your tie in there,” Minghao mutters in deisbelief. “I can't believe you put a red tie in with whites! Weren't you listening to what I was saying,” he wails, running a hand through his hair. Soonyoung just laughs, taking his shirt from Jun's hand.

 

“This was 200,000 won,” Jun shouts.

 

Minghao groans, he was surrounded by inept adults. 


A/N: Here's the next update! And it's definitely not a day late hahaha...anyways I'm really happy you guys like this story so much! And don't forget to comment/subscribe to show yoru support :D