Chapter Two

Couper

Kyungsoo marched through the corridors of the hospital with his five interns in tow. Normally Kyungsoo wouldn't have to teach the interns since he was the head of his department, but the cardio attending had left last week on maternity leave which meant he was stuck teaching. He didn't know much about his interns yet, he could only name them. There was Lee Gikwang, a fresh faced boy who Kyungsoo could tell reeks of optimism just by looking at him. It's not that Kyungsoo was the pessimist, he tried to think of positive outcomes whenever it felt the time was right, but he would definitely label himself as realistic. Kyungsoo used to be like Gikwang when he first showed up at Seoul Health and Sciences University, thinking he could and would save everyone, but many years and many deaths on his operating room later, Kyunsoo reserved the right to stop thinking optimisticly. Another student of his was Kim Junmyeon who seemed like an egotistical know-it-all and show off. Those characteristics usually are carried around with a negative connotation, but they are exactly what will make Junmyeon one of the best surgeons in whatever field he chooses to go in. Next was Kim Kibum, a quite flamboyant individual. Kyungsoo didn't know what to make of him yet, but he knew that he was going to make this year very interesting. Then there was Lee Taemin and Kim Jongin, the package deal. They were always together and whispering about who knows what. Kyungsoo wasn't sure if they would make good surgeons.

They rounded the corner and went through the doors that opened up into the emergency room. Kyungsoo stopped walking as he observed the amount of people around them. Kyungsoo knew that he and his interns should probably doing rounds around the hospital, visitng surgical patients and discussing them, but he wanted to bend the rules a little and see how much his interns really knew.

"What are we doing in the emergency room?" Junmyeon asked, looking around the emergency room at the patients, disappointed he wouldn't be observing, or possibly assisting, a surgery.

"I want to start you guys out easy," Kyungsoo said as he faced his interns. Kibum and Gikwang were looking at him intently, Junmyeon looked bored, and he's pretty sure Taemin and Jongin have no idea what's going on because they were still whispering amongst themselves. "Plus, it gives me time to prepare for my surgery that's later today."

"There's no time," a familiar voice said as Kyungsoo heard footsteps coming closer from behind him. He turned around and found himself face-to-face with Seohyun, the trauma surgeon who was in the process of tying her long brown hair in a pony tail. "There was a really bad car crash with two fatalities already. The survivors will be coming into the trauma center. We'll need all the help we can get."

"Awesome," Junmyeon said as they follwed Seohyun to the trauma center.

"Four car pile up," the paramedics said as they weeled the patients in on stretchers. Seohyun took out her stethoscope to listen to the heartbeat of the first patient.

"No heatbeast, initiating CPR," Seohyun said as she started reviving the patient. It didnn't take long to get a pulse. "You're going to need to take him into surgery.Take two of your interns with you and I'll need the rest to help with the reamining patients." 

"I want to go!" Junmyeon exclaimed almost immediatley. 

"Okay," Kyungsoo said, "I'll need one more per-"

"I'll do it," Jongin said as Junmyeon and Kyunsoo started to wheel the patient towards the operating rooms. 

Kyungsoo couldn't lie, he was surprised that Jongin had voluntered, especially since Taemin hadn't. Kyungsoo took a second to look at Jongin. Kyungsoo found himself captivated by the younger boy. He loved Jongin's hair, he had just let it fall naturally and Kyungsoo wondered what it would be like to run his hands through Jongin's hair, or maybe what it would be like to kiss his plump lips. There were many other things Kyungsoo wanted to think about doing but he was quickly snapped back to reality at the sound of Junmyeon's voice. 

"So, do you know if Seohyun is single?" Junmyeon asked as he looked towards Kyungsoo. 

Kyungsoo looked around him to see that they were in the elevator that would take them to the operating room. He had stared at Jongin the whole way there, but then he had been filled with shock and guilt at Junmeyon's question. 

"She's my wife," Kyungsoo said, barely able to get the words out of his mouth. 

Junmyeon nodded in approval as Kyungsoo felt Jongin look at him. Kyungsoo closed his eyes and took a deep breath, reminding himself that he was in a happy marriage and that Jongin was just an intern. The elevator opened and Kyungsoo smiled, getting rid of the thoughts he had thought of Jongin. As they entered the operating room Kyungsoo still felt Jongin staring at him, and as he told himself over and over agan that he was not attracted to Jongin, the butterflies in his stomach told another story.  


Woohyun leaned back in his leather chair in his office. There was a lot of paperwork that he needed to catch up on, but he couldn't pay attention to it. His mind was wandering and it had always come back to Kim Sunggyu. He hated Sunggyu, and he hated how intrigued he was by him. There was no question that Sunggyu was a brilliant surgeon, he had hourly updates from his neurosurgeon Doojoon. His exact words were "he is a natural." 

"Natural," Woohyun said, letting the word roll off his tongue. That was how people used to describe Woohyun back in the day. He was a natural, a gift to surgery, a prodigy. It couldn't be possible for Sunggyu to beome a better surgeon than Woohyun, right? Woohyun was a little out of practice ever since he became the cheif of surgery and had to do more administrative things than actual surgery. Suddenly a knock at the door brought Woohyun out of his thoughts. 

"Come in," Woohyun said, sitting up straight. 

In walked nobody other than Kim Sunggyu. Woohyun rolled his eyes and layed back into his seat. 

"Disappointed?" Sunggyu asked, noticing the change in Woohyun's attitude. 

"I just thought it was somebody important," Woohyun said as he looked Sunggyu up and down. Woohyun didn't find Sunggyu that attractive, and on top of that Woohyun was one hundred percent straight. That's the reason why Woohyun couldn't figure out what was intriguing about Sunggyu. 

"Sorry to disappoint," Sunggyu said as he took a seat infront of Woohyun's desk, "I want you to teach me." 

"Isn't Doojoon teaching you?" Woohyun asked, confused yet at the same time glad that Sunggyu was asking him to teach him. Not because Woohyun wanted to teach Sunggyu or anything, he didn't even like Sunggyu, but rather that Sunggyu realized how smart Woohyun was and his worth. 

"Yes, and he's a good teacher and all, but he is also teaching three other people," Sunggyu said as he sighed, "I would like a more one-on-one teaching experience." 

"Is that the only reason?" Woohyun asked, wondering when Sunggyu was going to feed his pride. 

"Well, aren't you the other neurosurgeon?" Sunggyu asked, already knowing the answer. 

Woohyun had never felt so offended in his life. Never had he been the other neurosurgoen. Woohyun was the best in the country. This Kim Sunggyu had no idea who he was talking to, but before Woohyun could open his mouth and put Sunggyu back in his place, he continued. 

"I mean, I don't even think I need teaching," Sunggyu said, "I already know everything. I've always been at the top of my class. I guess I'm asking you to let me do my own thing." 

Woohyun considered telling Sunggyu hell no and then kicking him out of his office, but he could use that time to show Sunggyu that he is the best neurosurgeon in the country, and one of the best in the world. 

"I'll teach you," Woohyun said as he studied Sunggyu, "night shifts on the days that I work but you still have to also learn from Doojoon. We start tonight."