Chapter One

Couper

Surgery. The only thing that Woohyun could fully understand. He knew he was born to cut, people often comment about how his hands were crafted by God himself for the sole purpose of performing surgery. Ever since he was young he knew he wanted to be a surgeon. Woohyun choose his speciality of neurosurgery very easily. The brain is the most important organ in the body, and a cut even a centimeter in the wrong direction could blind someone, make them lose the ability to speak, or even make them brain dead. It was powerful. 

Woohyun got drunk off of power, and liqour. The board at the hospital made him take at least one day off a week, and it made Woohyun depressed to be away from the operating room. On his days off Woohyun normally goes to the nightclubs and gets drunk enough to make him forget that he even misses surgery, which often leads to him taking a random girl home. 

Tonight was no exception. He had the day off today and it drove him crazy to just sit at home and have nothing to do. Right when the clock turned to eleven at night he put on one of his most expensive suits and brushed his hair with his fingers while checking himself out in the mirror before heading out to the nightclub he usually visits. Club 48 was the most popular club in the city, the overplayed pop songs that have been remixed into "club remixes" and flashing strobe lights that could make someone have a seizure was intoxicating enough for some people. 

Woohyun got to the club and, as usual, there was a long line of young singles trying to get their way into the club. Woohyun smiled at himself as he walked up to the front of the line. He had no problem getting into the club because his best friend, Kibum, was the owner of the club.
 

"Doctor," The bouncer said as he lifted the velvet rope, the only barrier between Woohyun and the club. 

As Woohyun started to enter the club he felt a hand on his arm. 

"Doctor," a small voice said as Woohyun turned around to face the owner of the hand that was still on his arm. She was a pretty girl, maybe twenty-two years old. She had long brown hair and a short dress that was showing a generous amount of clevage. "Want some company?" 

Woohyun smirked as he pushed her hand off his arm, "Maybe I'll see you in there," and with that he walked in. 


"Cheif," someone yelled as Woohyun heard running behind him. 

Woohyun closed his eyes shut and rubbed his head. He had a pulsing headache from all the drinking he had done last night and he was wearing sunglasses because he was sensitive to the light. That morning Woohyun had woken up with the girl from outside the club in bed with him. He didn't know her name or get her number, not that he wanted to. He had woken her up and kicked her out of his apartment when he had realized he was late for work. She had left unwillingly and muttering "" under her breath, like they all do. 

"Cheif," the person said again, catching up to Woohyun and jumping in front of him while he was walking. Woohyun found himself face-to-face with his cheif of cardiothorasic surgery, Do Kyungsoo. "The new interns and fellows are waiting for you." 

Woohyun groaned. Not only did he have a major headache, he had to speak to the new students. Once a year their hospital got surgical interns fresh out of medical school, eager to learn about how to be the best surgeon they can be, and they get fellows who had finished all the pre-requisite surgical training and have declared a specialty. 

"Can you please do it?" Woohyun asked Kyungsoo as he pushed him aside and kept walking. 

"I did it for you last year," Kyungsoo said as he followed behind Woohyun closely, "And after the board found out that I talked to them last year they demanded that you do it this year." 

"The board said this?" Woohyun said, stopping abruptly, making Kyungsoo almost run into from behind. Woohyun turned around to face Kyungsoo, "When were you going to inform me about this?" 

"I didn't think I had to," Kyungsoo said as he took a step back, a little frightened by Woohyun, "I didnt know that you were going to go out drinking the night before the inerns came, again." 

"Let's go," Woohyun said, walking the opposite direction of his office to a conference room where the interns and fellows would be. "You talk and I'll add in some commentary." 

"That sounds good, sir," Kyungsoo said, rounding the corner and into the conference room with Woohyun behind him. 

"Hello everyone," Woohyun said as he looked around the room at the eagar faced doctors, "Welcome to Seoul Health and Sciences Univerisity. I am doctor Nam Woohyun, a neurosurgeon and the cheif of surgery at this hospital." 

Out of the crowd of doctors Woohyun saw a hand shoot up. The doctor had light caramel hair that was parted to the side and narrow eyes. He was somehow intriguing to Woohyun. 

"I don't remember asking if there were any questions," Woohyun said, glaring at the docor from behind his sunglasses. 

"Kim Sunggyu. Neurosurgery fellow," Sunggyu said, ignoring Woohyun's remark, "Do you have an eye problem?" 

"Why would you think that?" Woohyun asked, annoyed by the outspoken fellow. 

"It's only nine in the morning and we are indoors, yet you are wearing sunglasses," Sunggyu said, "Did you just have eye surgery or something?" 

"All fellows leave the room," Woohyun said, watching about a fourth of the doctors leave the room including Sunggyu. "This meeting is mainly for interns anyway." 

"Whatever," Sunggyu muttered under his breath as he last the room. 

Woohyun followed Sunggyu with his eyes through the window of the conference room until Sunggyu rounded a corner and he couldn't see him anymore. Kyungsoo started talking to the new interns but Woohyun had blocked him out becuase he couldn't stop thinking about his least favorite student, Kim Sunggyu.