Chapter Five – Back to You

The Heartfire

Chapter Five – Back to You

 

In the silence and darkness, only the soft crack from the huge crystal echoed, followed by series of uneven breath and the thud of the fragments on the ground. Chanyeol’s sight were blurred by being unused for a long time—but he could make out the outlines.

He was sure he was in some kind of cave, or something similar to that. When a large chunk of ice fell down on the ground, his right arm was freed together with his head. The shrill cold of the air hits him once and he frowned.

When did winter get this cold?

 

He was not sure how long he had been asleep, but he was sure that Yrif, Baekhyun’s familiar took him in the mountain of Tahenia before he lost his consciousness. And that was the last thing he could remember.

Chanyeol fisted his large, calloused hands before the remaining ice on his body melted in instant. Red miasma coming out of his body, he felt the coming back of his power. No longer bothered by the chill, Chanyeol started walking out of the melted casing of ice before he shifted to his wolf form.

 

His bone cracked and shifted to his four legged figure, crimson furs coming out of his pores and mouth turned to muzzle. There was a reason why he was pulled out of slumber—and that reason was something he had to find.

That voice sounded too real to be a part of his dream. It felt so close yet so far—it was like whispered to his ears but echoing like it was miles away from him. He would know that voice anywhere, anytime. It was only the voice he’d listen to, he’d obey and he’d worship—

He knew he had to find it—

He had to find that voice.

Stumbling on his feet, the wolf began sniffing the way out of the mountain—his ears keen on hearing the same voice. In no time it would lead him to that person. And he couldn’t wait for it to happen.

 

 

 

 

The next day was not like any other day. Ka’yen was awakened by the knocks on the door and reminded that the breakfast was ready. He quickly took a warm bath before going out. He was escorted with two knights and the servant who also showed them the way to their quarters last night.

He found Ravi and Leo talking to each other while eating, Luhan who was slicing some steak on his plate with Sehun on his right and Chen to Sehun’s other side. There was an empty chair on the king’s left, in front of Sehun.

When Luhan looked up, he bowed politely. The king waved his hands off and offered the seat to his right. They ate their breakfast quietly, and oddly, Ka’yen could feel the intense stare that the king was giving him, even the wolf Sehun and Chen, the mage.

Ravi and Leo were too lost in their own world to notice.

 

 

 

Ka’yen was walking around the front yard of the fortress, when he was led by a cobblestone path to somewhere he didn’t expect to reach. It was an open area, surrounded by towering pine trees which lost their leaves and are now layered with thick slush.

This was like a training ground, judging by the embossed circle in the middle of the area which probably was the ring.

There wasn’t anyone nearby, and it was far too hidden to many that it tempted him to finally unravel himself he had forgotten for the sake of his safety.

Letting out a part of himself last night—it felt like he was finally breathing. All his life he was forced to live in shadows, to be someone he didn’t want to be. Luhan made him realize that he was not useless—he wasn’t dangerous—and that to someone he could be of use.

If won’t harness himself, how can he be of help to the king then?

 

Ka’yen made a decision after minutes of deep thinking. He ed his coat, letting it fall by the edge of the ring before stepping on the bricked stage. He was left with nothing but a ripped sleeved maroon blouse, his leather pants and belt that held his twin swords behind him, and the old boots he’d been using for years.

The cold chill of the wind grazed his features, and despite of the icy temperature, Ka’yen wasn’t bothered so much.

Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes and focused on the energy residing in the deepest part of him. It was time to embrace what he was capable of.

 

That same minute, a translucent miasma came out of his body, a smoke like thing, before he felt the tingle on his middle chest. Ka’yen felt the fire trickle and hover his skin, he opened his eyes and found out that his arm was really covered with it.

With a slight movement, it trails off. The image made him smile—a smile accompanied with tears.

Tears that came from the deep sadness that his father didn’t accept him for what he was—

Tears of guilt because he would dishonour his father’s wishes—

 

 

Right then he raised his palm in the air, and the fire started spiralling from it, dancing around him. Ka’yen took his twin swords at the back of his hips just in time the fire disappeared. As he swung it in the air with pure concentration the fire follows the blade.

And soon he was dancing with the fire, his body moving with the flow he never practiced, as if it was in his blood, as if it was engraved in the back of his mind. Twirling in the air, back flipping, swinging the blade with outmost vigour—

Because he was far too immersed to what he was doing, Ka’yen didn’t notice how the fire slowly making a small twister, starting from his feet then around the ring, melting the thick layered ice into puddles of water. Only by the time that he thought he was finished, did he open his eyes and found out that not a single snow remained in the training ground—but nothing burned either.

Panting, he stood and realized that it was snowing again. Every snowflake that falls, threatens another deathbed of ice. When will this end?

 

 

 

 

Unbeknownst to him, two figures were hiding the whole time, watching him. The small figure of the king and his lover. Luhan witnessed by his own eyes the power that Ka’yen was trying to hide—the evidence that he was indeed the Heartfire child.

His heart swelled in happiness and hope, though his brother might not remember him, or recognized him at least, he was alive. In his memories he had seen his greatness, but nothing could compare how he watched him live and real.

Before Ka’yen could sense their presence he pulled Sehun out of the training grounds.

“Did you see what he did? I bet when Chanyeol was awakened they could end this winter in no time.”

Sehun nodded and smiled, “I’ve never seen such graceful movements before. The only thing I knew when fire is involved was nothing but destruction and death. However, seeing Ka’yen dance like that with the fire, I saw how the fire could caress anything in a gentle way—without burning anything…”

“Sehun,” the king looked up at the wolf and gently caressed his face, “You symbolizes freedom right? How about Chanyeol? What does he symbolizes?”

 

“It’s love,” Sehun said with a longing smile. “I remember my brother before he… before he became another person. He was a very cheerful man, I remember him being my second favorite brother next to Kai because he doesn’t tell Suho the pranks we does because Suho will scold us like the elder brother that he was.”

“Chanyeol is the symbol of the love that all the wolves felt for their mates—their chosen ones. He gives his all, he promises eternity and care, the warmth and the protection—basically all that he could offer. I… I do felt sorry for his loss because I don’t think he deserve such loneliness.”

Luhan leaned closer to the wolf’s touch, hands wrapped around the taller man’s waist before his chin was tilted up by the latter, and his lips was taken in a sweet, gentle kiss.

“Everything will be alright, Luhan. If the heavens made a way for them to meet again this time, I think the heavens would not allow anymore tragedy to fall upon them.”

 

 

 

They just entered the throne room hand in hand, a picture that the servants got used to over the years, because the wolf of the King was far too bold in his actions in telling the world that Luhan was his—when Chen bursted inside with a panic look on his eyes.

“Luhan, your majesty, the watchers came back from their posts with a news.”

The said king rose from his throne, “What?”

“They found a—a group of undead attacking a wolf by the heart of Alfaran, by the mountain of Tahenia.”

“Undead?!” the king exclaimed, this was not good. Having undead roaming around the outskirts meant someone—a necromancer to be exact—was behind this. And a necromancer isn’t one of the weakest one could encounter.

It could rise the dead with a single call—and those undead were filled dark magic, even when they were bones and skeletons walking around, they sure can send a mortal flying a few kilometres away with just a swing of their hand.

 

“Yes, apparently, they have encountered a wolf in the wild and you wouldn’t believe this—the watchers said that the wolf was just like Sehun in built. But he was weak and he was struggling to fight.

Sehun who was in his wolf form rose from the King’s feet, Luhan ask them the color of his fur.

“What’s the color of the wolf’s fur?” he passed the question.

Chen pursed his lips, “It’s crimson, your majesty.”

 

Sehun and Luhan shared a knowing look. That wolf is none other than Chanyeol.

“We have to help him—“ Luhan said after a couple of seconds, “Chen, stay here and guard kingdom—“

“No! I will go with you.” Insisted the younger. Luhan threw him a death glare and hissed. “Dealing with the undead is dangerous! I can’t let you fight them, Chen!”

“I am powerful enough to handle myself and Luhan, I didn’t harness my skills just to hide behind the castle’s walls. I became a mage because I want to serve you. I became this strong to protect you!”

 

In the middle of their fight Ka’yen, Ravi and Leo entered the throne room. Luhan was still insisting for Chen to stay but in the end, he gave up and let the mage to come with them. Chen asked one of their trusted men to be in charge while Luhan removed his thick robes, going to Ka’yen’s direction.

“Be prepared, Ka’yen, the plan was changed. We will travel to Tahenia.”

“What? What’s with Tahenia?”

“A group of undead has attacked. And Sehun’s brother is quite in danger. We’ll save him.” Luhan turned to the direction of his chamber and Ka’yen saw Sehun trotted behind him.

 

 

 

Chanyeol growled and surrounded himself with walls of fire. It had been ages since he dealt with undead. And he just woke up from who knows how long of slumber. His strength wasn’t at its maximum; his eyesight was blurred like tears blocked them.

It felt like hours when he heard a distant squawk of birds, flapping of wings before the blurred image of something laser like web light struck his sight.

And then there were voices—he could recognize some of them.

 

There was his brother who told him to rest and they would handle the situation themselves. And then some stranger’s voice—and then there it was.

“Ka’yen help the wolf!” called a very familiar one—Luhan…Baekhyun’s brother.

“You want me to help the wolf?! I am not a Halkovian your majesty you want me to die?!”

And then that voice.

“Chanyeol won’t hurt you! Trust me!”

 

 

Chanyeol fell on his side, panting with his body shifting back into its human form unwillingly. He could only hear the clashing of metals, and then the hurl of the wind. Soon there was warmth by his side, delicate and gentle hands cupped his cheeks, arms cradling his back.

“C-Chanyeol…?” called that familiar voice.

The fire wolf blinked his barely opened eyes. He could still see everything in blur, but he could make out the scarlet hair framing that man’s face. “I’ll get you in the aerial mount. I need you to stay awake okay?”

His heart was beating like a drum when the man’s breath fanned on his face. He did what he could only do then. He might not see him clearly, but his heart knows, his mind remembers his voice.  Chanyeol reached out before the man could guide him up. His large, calloused hands cupped the man’s cheeks, thumb padding on soft flesh down to his plush lips.

Chanyeol smiled… “You’re here…” he croaked before clashing their lips.

He knew that he’d always find a way back—back to where he belongs.

 

 

 

a.N.

i swear !!!!! chanbaek is life~

but as you said--yes happy ending might be far from now. lolz

you guys are right, Ka'yen and Baek might have the same soul, but they are different people.

Different character, different attitudes--and so on and so forth,

that's why who knows how this will turn out from now? (ofc only me) XD

but yeah that's for the future chaps ~