Chapter Thirteen – The Fire in his Eyes

The Heartfire

Chapter Thirteen – The Fire in his Eyes

 

Although the land of Alfaran had forgotten how the rising sun would look like, days go by night after night with only a portion of thousands holding on to the hope that one day, they might be able to see the dawn once again. With every fall of the cold, unforgiving snow, each new born child who had yet to see how winter massacred hundreds of life still hopes for the spring to come afterwards.

Maybe that would be the only thing left in them. The sole hope that their children will be able to live the life promised by the prophecy. A life, where the Heartfire child would free them from the hands of the Snow Queen, a life that promises a new morning, where the golden rays of warmth would embrace them, where the colourful field of flowers would smile upon them, wait for them.

It has been a hundred years… or was it more? King Luhan had done everything in his power. He had looked everywhere, in every corner, from small villages up to the neighbouring kingdoms. He had looked for this Heartfire Child. Not once in his quest did he ever think about meeting Ka’yen.

Ka’yen—the splitting image of his deceased brother, Baekhyun.

 

Throughout the days he spent with him, the immortal king learned to be content of being able to breathe the same air with this person. Ka’yen could be his brother’s reincarnation, and with him, given a chance to spend his life with the brother he never grew up with, was more than enough blessing from the gods. And so, dealing with three days of fear and anxiety, that Ka’yen would also disappear before him like how Baekhyun did took its toll on the king.

Luhan almost broke down and told him the truth behind all the truth. He almost told Ka’yen that he—he is Baekhyun’s second life, or so they thought. Thanks to whomever the king should thank for, he had caught his tongue before he did.

 

The king was gazing at the expanse of his kingdom from the large veranda of his chambers, clad in soft yet thick white robe which drags on the floor. His soft, silky silver hair fell naturally on his forehead, contouring his ever youthful face. His nimble fingers were trembling against the ivory balusters, his cerulean eyes reflecting the light from the torches that lit up Ybarra.

He should be happy.

Happy, because Ka’yen seemed to accept the fact that he is the child of the prophecy. Happy, that Ka’yen didn’t run away like he expected to. But the fact that he knew it before Luhan telling him so had him wondering, where was he the past three days?

What happened to Ka’yen and why does it seem like he’s a different person now?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ash skies and cold wind—those should be normal for him now. However, despite of the memories of spending his entire life living in winter, he still dislikes the cold and anything wet. Morning strolls should be filled with warmth, orange skies and moist grass. If lucky, it could be a run with one large, crimson furred wolf. They would pass the gigantic trees of the forest, and scream his lungs out to wake everyone up in their tribe. Long gone with those bittersweet memories, Baekhyun could only reminisce the past as he did his morning set of exercise.

He was lost in his own thoughts that he failed to notice two figures coming closer to him. It was until Ravi and Leo joined him in his run that he laughed at the two.

“It’s been so long since we’ve done this, Yen! You’re quite preoccupied these days,” Ravi panted beside him as they run side by side. Smirking, Baekhyun reached out to pat him on the back, “And you seemed to be fit even after lacking exercises Ravi. Are you and Leo having fun?”

With that single question, the white haired male tripped and left behind. Leo, beside him didn’t even spare him a glance but remained straight faced, as always.

 

 

Hours passed quickly, and before he knew it, he was back in the castle. The king ordered him not to go outside after six. He was walking around the white palace, gone with his angora coat, leaving his arms bare in his sleeveless tunic and black trousers with the twin swords attached to his hip. Baekhyun turned to the right corner, jumping right after when Chanyeol came out of nowhere.

A hand on his chest, he huffed, “You could have told me you’re there, fire wolf.”

“What are you doing here Ka’yen? This is the forbidden part of the castle, remember?”

Crossing his arms, he pursed his lips, “If it is forbidden, then why are you here?”

“It’s not forbidden for me.” Chanyeol smirked.

The fire wolf saw the glint in the Heartfire child’s eyes. It’s the glint of mischief yet at the same time, the playfulness. That same spark he had seen when that Halkovian child was born from Luna’s womb. Baekhyun. His mate.

Ka’yen really does bring him Baekhyun’s memories.

“Then it’s not forbidden!” Chanyeol blinked, for Ka’yen grinned and clapped his hands. “Excuse me, then I’ll have to go look around and maybe find my room afterwards.” The redhead has long passed him before he went out of trance. For a second there, Chanyeol really did see Baekhyun.

“Wait.” He murmured. When he realized that it wasn’t audible enough, he repeated it, facing the redhead one. Ka’yen stopped on his tracks with both hands on his hips. “What is it?”

The fire wolf took a step closer to the smaller male. Ka’yen didn’t seem alarmed for he didn’t move from his spot. Instead, he held the eye contact with that pair of garnet eyes that mirrors his own. Ka’yen didn’t move when Chanyeol reached out and touched his face, trace his fingers down from his temple to his cheeks. There’s confusion lingering in the fire wolf’s gaze, and the Heartfire child knew what that was for.

“Ka’yen, you…”

He challenged the wolf. “I’m what, Chanyeol?”

There’s heat that Chanyeol’s spine, the way he called him by his name—

Chanyeol cupped the smaller’s face, erasing the distance between them with a few steps forward. He found his face a few inches from his, their breaths fanning over each other’s face. Why isn’t Ka’yen walking away? Why isn’t he pushing him away?

“Why aren’t you fighting with me, Ka’yen?” he whispered against his lips.

“Why should I?” the redhead asked back.

“Aren’t you confused why am I doing this? Why did I kiss you the first time I saw you, why am I so clingy and why I so…protective…? Don’t you ever…wonder why?”

There was it, Chanyeol saw it. The faint glow in the pair of garnet eyes he’s looking at. He wasn’t sure if it came from Ka’yen, or it was just a reflection from his own eyes. Instead of an answer though, Ka’yen answered him with another twisted question.

“Aren’t you confused why am I doing this? Why did I kiss you back in the forest? Why did I even left in the first place? What happened in those three days when I was gone?  Don’t you ever… wonder…why?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was past midnight, Baekhyun sneaked out of his chambers clad with nothing but his crimson night robe. Barefooted, he ran to the backyard of the castle and looked at the night sky, searching for a spark of orange and gold. The snow storm was at it again, just like any other night. But it didn’t bother the Heartfire Child, even when he wore nothing under the robe. He heard the sound of wings flapping, and from spot he’s standing on, Yrif’s majestic figure enlarged until the phoenix ringed around him, finally setting on to his awaiting arm.

The phoenix bowed down to him, and Baekhyun mirrored his familiar’s greeting.

“It’s been days Yrif, what did you get for me?”

The mystical spirit squawk, but to his ear, Baekhyun heard his familiar’s voice.

 

“Baekhyun, Eldama… The kingdom is frozen solid! Everyone was turned into ice. Even the king! I flew to Nazael and I saw the Snow Queen attacking the Kingdom. There are thousands of undead serving under Dalia, and what’s more, there are some mages who pledged allegiance with her.

Baekhyun gritted his teeth, his nails digging crescent on his fisted hands, “What else?”

“The Eastern Kingdom is in mess, they are seeking refuge to the caves, but one fourth of the elemental sprites already died. Some of them are getting the frost sickness, to the South the wolves were in the same situation. They couldn’t stand more of the dropping temperature, half a hundred of new born pups died the past mating season.”

In fury, Baekhyun’s arms bursted into flames, his eyes shined brighter than before. But before he could even set anything on fire, Xiumin, in his bunny form hopped on his shoulder, ears flat and eyes blinking adorably.

 

“Baekhyun, don’t be angry. We still have news for you. Yrif…” Xiumin asked his friend.

The phoenix squawked once more, flapping its wings.

“Baekhyun, Xiumin and I went to the west. And you wouldn’t believe what we’ve found there,”

“What?!” Baekhyun snarled, getting impatient.

“Baekhyun, there were Halkovians who survived the massacre! I found them living in the deepest part of the forest. They said that they’ve gone to hiding for a long time now. They were only about twenty of them who survived, but as the years passed, they’ve prolonged the life of your race.”

Baekhyun was left there, stunned for a moment. It meant some of his parent’s friends were still alive. If not, their children. Nonetheless, he and his brother weren’t the only ones who were left. There were still Halkovians who lived.

And the other kingdoms, the Eastern Kingdom, Nazael, Eldama… and even the Southern part of Alfaran, they have been all enduring the death Dalia had sentence them with. How could he prolong the winter more, if he was here now, whole and powerful enough to face the Snow Queen?

“Prepare yourselves, Xiumin, Yrif, I will notify everyone at the break of dawn. No matter what, tomorrow, we will face the Snow Queen and kill her once and for all.”