Chapter Two - Alliance

The Heartfire

Chapter Two - Alliance

 

Ybarra’s legend could be one of the bed time stories of the elders to their child at night. It’s where a long lost prince survived from a great slaughter, found out the reason why, and realized that he’s the heir to the throne of the kingdom he really wanted to destroy first.

But in the end he saved it—for the sake of many, for the sake of the innocent ones.

Then there’s the wolves, which they believed were residing in some places Ybarra owns, if not in their land in the south. Since the start of the hailstorm there’s no king brave enough to risk his life leaving the confinement of his castle. The cold outside could kill in days of travel, the snow is thick and every form of life died in the forests—save for those who found themselves a place to hide beforehand.

 

But right now the gent from Ybarra looked unaffected of the winter as he walks down the grand hall of the throne room. Some of his guards stayed by the door, and only the wolf accompanied him in front of the king.

Stepping aside, Ka’yen made way for the man.

 

“To whom do I owe such a pleasure of the sudden visit?” King Ulric greeted with a friendly smile. The young man, whose silver hair couldn’t be any lighter than his robe, graced them a beautiful blinding smile.

“The last time I visited here, you were just a kid, King Ulric, your father was furious at me. And now you are wearing his crown welcoming me in your kingdom without a fuss.” The man looked around, proud and nodding, “I take this as a good sign.”

 

The king took a moment for him to realize that the man before him, isn’t just any representative from the neighbouring land.

“You’re the king, young man?” he asked, astonished.

This caused the other to laugh, “I believe I lived twice longer as you do, King Ulric. But please, call me Luhan.”

He reached out his delicate hand which the king shook with a nervous smile. “You could have given us a notice of your arrival. I know this might sound rude, but why are you here, Immortal king? Are you a friend or a foe…?”

 

 

The wolf beside the immortal king grunted, creating a puff of air around his muzzle. His head rubbed a bit by the man’s hip, the latter having no surprise reaction but a mere slide of his own hand down the wolf’s head and nape.

“I learned to dislike violence, remember that.” The immortal king said, “I have been looking for years, ever since I received the prophecy of the Oracle, of this Heartfire child that was our only hope of stopping the deadly winter. I went around the kingdoms every generation but recently, my royal advisor asked me to get participants of the neighbouring lands in finding the child. Which I thought was a good idea, since the meaning of finding the Heartfire child wouldn’t only benefit our domain but yours as well.”

 

“So you’re saying,” the king clasped his hands behind, “that you seek alliance, King Luhan.”

“Yes, for the good of the many. I will lead a search troop for this child. It wasn’t only your kingdom suffering—mine as well. Even the thickest clothes cannot save lives from the deadly cold.”

 

“Would you need a group of soldier—“

“No,” the other interrupted, “A group of two is enough or maybe one from your people. One that is deemed to be useful.”

 

In the middle of the conversation, Ka’yen’s soft yawn caught the guests’ attention, especially the wolf that turned its head quickly at his direction. Gorlak gave Ka’yen a menacing glare from misbehaving, not that he saw it.

“Ah, did I interrupt something before I came?” Luhan asked with a smile, eyes locked at the red head.

“No, your highness. In fact you have an impeccable timing. You’ve spared me minutes more to live before the king kills me.”

 

Raising a brow, the king of Ybarra asked, quite amused, “Are you a fugitive?”

“Lesser fugitive.” Ka’yen snorted, “As they say.”

“Your highness please don’t mind this peasant, he’s just a problem in this capital, a thief—a troublemaker—“ Gorlak said but Luhan paid him no heed.

“What do you do, young man?” Luhan’s eyes narrowed as he got closer. Under those scarlet hair was a pair of familiar eyes he knew he had seen before and he swore would never forget. A pair of unique, garnet eyes.

“I do nothing but steal,” he didn’t even bother to defend himself. “But I won’t save my saying, it’s for the good. Rather, I would say I steal what they stole. Your highness.”

“Stealth means you’re fast.” The king forgot the others around the room.

“Very,” Ka’yen liked how the King of Ybarra took interest in his capabilities. Someone who sees past through his records—someone willing to test what he really do.

“Agile.”

“Like a cat.” He purred, tilting his head,

The silver head stopped a foot in front of him. “Speed and agility isn’t a talent. It takes time to develop such skills. Are you sure you’re a thief, fugitive?” Luhan smirked.

“Why don’t you just try me, My lord?” Ka’yen challenged.

 

Before he knew it the bow of the guest started swinging in front of him. Relentless, Luhan kept a graceful stance while Ka’yen amazed the throne room of how he swiftly evaded every attack. Soon only a flash of white and black color was seen.

The two were fast like light, but neither of them managed to break anything. Two light footed men seemed like dancing, and even breathing was measured and soundless. Every landing of their foot from the air was only like a tap of a finger on the table.

 

When the king stopped attacking, Ka’yen landed on his knees, panting soundlessly.

Luhan reached out a hand that the other took and stand. “I admit, you’re good.”

“The tale of the last Halkovian must be true then. Such a light foot you are your highness.”

“Only Sehun there could match my speed, but you—you are something.” The king turned to Ulric and said, “If you have no use of this fugitive, may I take him with me?”

 

This surprised Ka’yen, “W-What?!”

“He’s a thief, King Luhan!” Gorlak interrupted.

“Sure he’s a thief—but like I said he’s good enough for me. Time is running and I sure cannot hold a hundred of try-outs first when I have seen someone capable already.”

The king of Eldama rubbed his chin as he thinks. “In return of our participation, what do we get in return during your search King Luhan?”

This time, the king smiled. “I brought ration of food and clothing from our kingdom. I hope this might help your people.”

“Then you may take him.”

 

Ka’yen growled inwardly. They talk as if he’s not there, without even asking him if he wanted to come or not. “Don’t I have a say in this?” he spoke, interrupting them—again.

“I do not wish to leave, King Luhan. I’m sorry. But I cannot leave my friends here.” He reasoned out. “And I doubt I’d be very useful since I don’t cooperate will with you know…laws.”

 

Luhan turned to him but before he could say anything else, Ulric said, “This is your punishment then. The favour I’d ask you in return of the food you’d be getting. I got reports that you give them to the orphans, you think I’m blind, Ka’yen? Now I ask you to cooperate. And I will take care of the orphans you’re taking care of. If you wish to bring two of your friends, go.

Right now the ration King Luhan brought to us is as important as the portion you steal from every market here to feed the orphans. What do you prioritize—them having something to eat or your lack of courage to part with them?”

 

Ka’yen bit his tongue until a taste of copper stopped him in order to stop himself from lashing out. “As much as the offer sounds good, I don’t have the proof that you’d do as you say, your majesty. After all you do nothing to stop this winter, until now that you were given something in return. “ he growled back.

“If King Luhan insists, then I’d go. But I’d be taking Leo and Ravi with me if they wish. Who knows when I come back they would be rotting in the cellar or worse—used by the royalties until they die. But don’t think that I don’t have someone to look after the kids. Once that I found out that you didn’t fulfil your promise, your majesty I will come back here and you will regret it.”

 

The red head left the throne room with long strides, not giving a damn about the whispers and scowls he gets from the people he passed. Once out, he turned to the left and headed out of the castle with no intention of glancing back.

Back inside, Luhan followed the man with long stare.

“He has some guts to act like that in front of you.” Luhan said.

“Ka’yen hates the royal family, King Luhan.” Ulric sighed. “His father spent most of his time for the royalty, giving only money to them from the weapons the blacksmith had made for the knights, leaving him and his mother to struggle on their own and eventually he was left with nothing. His mother died in a disease, and his father… well the old man didn’t last long too.”

“He thinks his father prioritized the royals over his family. That’s why he’s rebelling against the law, isn’t he?” Luhan shook his head, smiling.

 

“He’d be quite a handful, King Luhan.”

Dipping his head a bit, the king of Ybarra bid goodbye. “I’d be lying if I say he wouldn’t be. But I see more than just a thief from Ka’yen.”

The white wolf followed the King who quickly searched for the man with a long layered cut scarlet hair.

 

There’s something about that man—something different from the people he had ever met before. Luhan couldn’t decipher what kind of this feeling is, familiarity bubbles in his gut, at the same time, a sense of peculiar indulgence or maybe perhaps… just a pinch of curiosity?

You seemed to be in a very deep thought, my king.

It took every ounce of Luhan’s patience not to smack the wolf trotting behind him. They had been able to communicate with each other through minds ever since the transfer of blood—ever since Luhan had agreed with eternal commitment to the Air Wolf.

Shut up Sehun. Not now. I need to find Ka’yen.

 

Picking up with his pace, the wolf suddenly appeared beside him. They had left the main entrance of the castle and found the man striding on the vast front yard and what he deemed to be the previous garden of the place. Leaving his prints behind, Ka’yen walked briskly, stiff shoulders and fisted hands.

“Ka’yen!”

Should I get jealous over your fascination to that thief?

He could almost hear an amused chuckle in his head. However, the man Luhan called stopped on his tracks and turned around. He would not let this chance slip off—he has to talk to this man.

“Your Majesty,” his tone in flat alter, Luhan imagined that maybe he’s trying so hard not to break his loose chains like what he had done in the throne room. Ka’yen took a sideway glance behind the king before frowning, “Did you follow me here?”

“Yes,” Luhan nodded. “I wanted to talk to you.” He turned to the wolf, “Privately.”

Ka’yen eyed the four legged creature grunted—something that he could compare to a human’s snort, before trotting away. Rising a brow, he turned to the king who kindly smiled at him. “Is he your pet, your highness?”

With that the white king—he decided to name him—laughed out loud.

“That’s quite hilarious for you to say. But as much as I treat him as my pet, he’s not. Sehun’s my lover, my mate.”

With this Ka’yen muttered something unintelligible, akin to something ‘before, the immortal king, and now a wolf’s mate’, stretching the king’s lips into a wide smile

 

 

“Can I ask you something, Ka’yen?” the white king inquired while they languidly walked around side by side, leaving their foot prints on the thick layered snow.

“Your highness, if it’s about the quest, yes I would be coming with you unfortunately because I don’t have a choice, “ he said, running a hand through his silky soft hair. “But are you even sure that this…Heartfire child really exist? Coz I don’t want to leave for nothing.”

“Yes, I am sure that the Heartfire child is real. And I have to find him or her—someone has to. This winter had brought not only death but misfortunes to races and kingdoms. I hope you are aware of that.”

“Yes I am.”

“Well then, is our alliance settled?” the white king asked.

Ka’yen, knelt on one knee an arm on top of it with dip of his head “I’ve longed to find a way to stop this evil sorcery or whatever, so yes, your majesty, I, Ka’yen, is at your amenity,”

“And I’m King Luhan, but you may address me as Luhan. From now on you’ll be under my command until we found the Heartfire child.” Said the baby faced king whose blue eyes twinkle whenever he smiles.

 

Ka’yen felt a tug in his chest. The king is so desperate to find the Heartfire Child—and somewhere in his heart he felt that he had to help this king—he had to find this child of the prophecy. However he knew nothing of this—how does this child could end the winter?