Chapter One - Scarlet and Garnet

The Heartfire

Chapter One – Scarlet and Garnet

 

 

It was one of the same old days the people in the Kingdom of Eldama had to go through. Against the sharp and cold slice of the winter air on their skin, plus the often frostbites they had to endure, they had stood strong to keep the business going.

If not—they wouldn’t have anything to feed their family.

 

 

Many years ago, some of the elders said through their night time tales, that Eldama was used to be canopied by large shelters of majestic trees that can only be found in their kingdom. After all, Eldama was where the agricultural trade had begun. Preserving vast lands for farming, thousands sacks of corn, wheat and sweet potatoes was their source of income. Ever green and generous, Eldama was the ideal domain in peace.

No one really knows how the winter started. But they had been told that it just came to them one morning, when all the leaves from the trees started withering out of the blue, the newly planted crops for the next harvest had died because of the sudden climate change and some people catching diseases.

White has always been the symbol of purity and goodness ever since. It was so because it was never tainted with any hues and dirt. However as those horrible nights and days of nonstop hailstorm, the white had killed their agrarian animals, their source of income and most of all, the unfortunate ones who didn’t survive the climate.

It had been several decades—a century in fact. Many had held that they had learned to stand against the nature—that they finally got used to the change. But will Alfaran be forever be enslaved with this unending snow and ice? Will the sun be forever hidden behind those thick, gray clouds?

 

 

Amidst the dull and lifeless crowd, the ever so optimistic side of him never falters. Of course not—there has to be a way to end the winter. Or at least, bring the balance of weather back. He couldn’t stand seeing people getting so depressed about the day whenever they started their business in the market, with most of them exhaling so loudly and complaining, Time to start another day

For him, if they didn’t want to work then why bother open a business? If all they’d do is scowl and only trade their goods with those who had more money? What about the ones who can’t buy enough meat? Or even trade some of their things just for thick clothes against the chilly night?

 

Ka’yen tsked under his leather face mask, eyeing one of those bakers who were shooing the kids from the window of his store. Those homeless and orphaned kids that he’s been watching since their father died hunting in the woods outside the capital.

Their father became so desperate to get his own food for his family, to feed their empty stomach. Since the loss of agricultural means the Kingdom fell into poverty. Gold is essential, and because the shortage of it had pushed many to crimes—stealth and murder.

At least Dwen wasn’t one of those low lives.

He sought for the moral way to find resources. He chose to risk his safety to hunt in the outskirts—but life did him injustice.

After weeks of waiting—the children found out that their father was dead, and was only left with some of his things they have found in the woods.

 

 

The eldest of the three kids, a mere twelve year old girl carrying her three years old youngest brother and holding her six years old one, walked away from the store with a long face.

“That old fat guy deserves to be inside his oven,” frowned his white haired friend on his right.

Smirking under his face mask, Ka’yen hit his head playfully while crossing his legs. They were on top of the pile of scrap woods, on the mouth of a small alley. It was their usual spot—they hang out here a lot, watching the busiest to the laziest waste their day.

He has his two friends here, the one on his right was Ravi, twenty years old. Apparently, people were scared of his sharp gaze and deep voice, even so because he is a prevalent delinquent in the capital. The younger rubbed the hit part, not even turning his to him when he continued rambling about how inconsiderate he was to the kids.

 

No matter how tough he looked in the outside—Ravi always had this soft spot for kids. He was an orphan after all—his brothers and sisters didn’t survive pass the cold. The younger ones after him were too weak, and his elder sister had been sacrificing the food for them. She didn’t last long and died when he was ten—leaving him alone to fend for himself.

“And he’s even asking more money than what the bread costs. Damn it I’m gonna steal all those bread to teach him a lesson, wanna go for it, Leo?”

 

To his left was a black haired young man named Leo, also twenty. He’s too quiet and they barely hear his voice when he speaks, but one thing is for sure, that is no one should underestimate him nor look down on him. Leo was feared because of his aloof approach. He wasn’t into violence but with him sticking around Ravi and of course with Ka’yen, he had gotten the same impression nonetheless.

Leo is Ravi’s childhood friend. He didn’t talk much about his family, but all he knew is that Leo has an abusive father—and he ran away and hid from him by the time Ravi told him to stick together and they would feed themselves and be independent.

Since then, the two of them haven’t seen away from each other.

 

Mutely, the black haired man stood as Ravi turned his red kohl eyes with a smirk.

“Yen, we’ll be back in a few,” salutes the white haired man while the last of the trio waved his hands off.

 

 

 

Ravi’s black cape drags on as he walked away, followed by Leo who was casually looking ahead. From then he listened to how his white haired friend bother the baker, irritates him and even threats to steal his bread. Every witness only knew much—whispering things such as here they go again, they don’t ever stop troubling us, and so on and so forth.

As small as it may be, the real reason why Ravi decided to piss the baker off was to have at least enough pieces of bread for those orphaned kids Dwen left alone.

 

It wasn’t long before the man was howling for the roving knights of the capital to seize his friends. Ravi was laughing so hard when he knocked down some wagons with lots of fruits, and even bumped onto some innocent civilians.

Leo on the other hand was jumping roof to roof, they passed the tied up bag of breads they got from the store each time they needed to. They were out of sight by the time a shining steel blade appeared a little too close for Ka’yen’s liking.

 

He only gave it a quick eye before looking up at the knight who was holding it up near his neck. “Get up,” he growled behind his helmet.

Under his scarlet hair, the man rose a brow, “Under what circumstances are you allowed to order me, filthy soldier?”

“You are a citizen of this kingdom and I am one of those people who enforce law in this area, kid. You and your little group have gained a lot of complaints in our desk. I am not going to ask you twice. Come with me.”

“I haven’t done anything,” he casually swung his crossed legs and shrugged his shoulders as if he wasn’t just arrested.

 

“Ka’yen everyone knows that your two disciples won’t do anything—anything—at all if they don’t have your word.”

Though the man he had come to know for the couple of times—well maybe, often times—he was taken to their office and get bailed couldn’t see his playful smirk under his mask, Ka’yen’s barely covered garnet eyes of his silky scarlet hair gave way to the mischief of a man he was.

“To where this time?” he uncrossed his leg, standing with his slender long legs wrapped perfectly with his leather pants and old boots. His angora brown coat reaches up to the middle of his leg, hugging his slim but built body. Bright scarlet hair dotted with snow, the man put his gloved hands in his front pockets.

“To the palace,” the soldier smirked. “This time you’d be facing the King’s orders.”

“Ooh, exciting.” He deadpanned as he walked ahead after a hard push from behind.

 

From the corner of his eyes, Ka’yen could see two figures in black on top of the houses, looking down at them. And by then he knew that playing along for a while won’t hurt much. Besides he was too curious to see how the interior of the palace looks like.

 

 

 

 

 

“King Ulric, your highness.” The royal advisor had trotted inside the throne room with haste, face drained with blood and sweating cold. His boots were still wet from outside, and his coat caught some of snowflakes but he didn’t bother for his message was far more important by now.

After he gave respect to the royalty, he stood straight as per command and faced the ruler of Eldama. He was a fine man in his fifties. Dark brown hair, beard and moustache just like all the typical ones in the tales. But King Ulric is a just King, doing everything he could to keep the kingdom alive despite its great downfall.

“What is it Gorlak?” his deep voice rang as he sat up straight on his high throne.

 

“Your majesty,” the man swallowed. “I’m afraid that we have unexpected guests.” Gorlak clasped his hands behind him, a gesture he only does whenever he’s nervous.

“My father, the previous king’s advisor, had told me once that your father has been paid a visit from the other kingdom without notice, sire. Although I don’t know much of the reason, but we do know that the other kingdom, Ybarra, has been told to be the home of the immortal king.”

At the mention of the immortal king, King Ulric stood.

 

“I may have heard about the immortal king when I was just a child. But no one has proved that there is such man. Because no one—not even the present citizens of Ybarra had seen their king face to face. Tales told that it was just a myth made by the people a hundred years ago.”

“Yes—but legends aside, your highness. Ybarra is a powerful domain. Even more powerful than the rising Nazael. I do not know any business they might want to deal with us, but I am afraid they might use our kingdom’s frailty as advantage and attack from inside out.” The advisor said. “The watchers spotted the carriage fifteen minutes from us, sire.”

 

The king paced back and forth in front of his two guards in deep thought. The domain of Ybarra. Why had they come?

“Let’s welcome them in, but be on your guard as well. If they are our enemy, defend with your life. Because if we put up resistance which would be futile, we’ll be dead beforehand.”

 

 

 

 

Just in time Gorlak left, the commanding soldier from the capital entered with his other troop, pushing the redhead man in the throne room. “Your majesty,” they all bowed—well aside from the red head one.

“Is he the one?” Ulric asked in quite amusement. His soldiers were given a massive headache by just a kid?

“Yes, this is Ka’yen, your majesty, the leading of those three hooligans of the capital.”

“Quite a reputation,” the king hummed, walking down the small stairs down from his throne. Hands on his back, covered with soft cape, he asked the man, “What can you say about this, young lad?”

Ka’yen tilted his head in boredom, “No can deny,”

“You—speak formally you little—“

The king halted the soldier’s attempt to teach the kid a lesson but he didn’t mind the impoliteness. “Ka’yen, you are Fargen’s son, am I right?”

The throne room was filled with gasps and whispers from the servants.

“Fargen the Blacksmith. The royal weapon maker,” the king continued. “ I knew he had left a kid. How long has it been since…”

 

“You need not to remind me how I’m orphaned now, your highness.” he spat, “I am willingly taking any punishment you’d be bestowing on behalf of the endless list of crimes I did in this kingdom.” He said as if he had practiced it in his mind along the way here.

Chuckling the king shook his head. “Why of course your crime list has been the longest amongst the fugitives I have. But sure they’re not the heaviest?”

Turning his back on the redhead kid, the king chanted, “Stealing a sack of potatoes, street fights, another stealing, trespassing, some physical injuries—repeating over and over. Sure I got tired reading them.”

Rolling his eyes, the redhead grunted.

“But not once did I notice you stealing gold. It was always food.”

 

“So?” he said again, earning a hit on his head from the soldier behind him.

“So, I will be willing to trade you with food so you wouldn’t have to steal anymore. As long as you do what I ask you.” The king said as he sat on the throne.

 

“Anything but be your concubine, because that would be… ugh.” He waved the idea off. The soldiers and servants scowled at him. The audacity! He’s talking to the king!

Before the king could answer, the horn blew signalling the arrival of their guests.

The throne room’s door opened and the first thing Ka’yen saw when he turned around was a man in grand silver robe with blue eyes and golden bow, walking proudly on the isle with a large white wolf beside him.

 

 

 

~0~

A.N:

Hey there! Welcome to The Heartfire!

i know you guys have been waiting for this! And tadaaa the first chapter is out.

It's more likely of a background and introduction.

I want you to know that this is Baekyeol centered fic- but HunHan is vital here so yes they would appear here as often as the main characters. Kaisoo will come out later on.

And Xiumin is wanted here! You guys don't want Chen to be alone, so sweet~ Alright! I might consider the request ^_^

If you still have questions, please drop it on the comment box! I'll try my best to answer them all.

And for those who were confused in Ka'yen's identity, and why he's the main character, you'll know it as the story goes on.

What else? Uhm, sad to say for my CDII readers, ill be prioritizing this story since i'm currently planning on my CDII plot and i don't wanna rush my first babies and i want them to be good since Crimson Desires is one of my first stories. but not that i'm not paying attention to my other ongoing. You know, "Writer Feels" these days is in Heartfire so yeah ~ hahaha.

 

 

Please do subscribe and comment! Upvotes are SO MUCH appreciated. Thank you for those who abused (lol) that arrow up button before i posted *flying kisses*