09 | RECONCILIATION

The Keeper's Destiny
Please log in to read the full chapter

§

Hey.

Haeyeon.

Wake up. 

You feel a warm hand holding your head up, and you hear a familiar deep voice calling your name.

You try your best to fight against the alluring sound, warm and inviting. You’d rather just stay here, on the ground, instead of having to see him.

Suddenly, a sharp voice pierces through your thoughts and forces you back into consciousness. “Wake up or I’m taking your books away from you when we get home.”

You’d recognize that tiny voice anywhere and you immediately sit up, instantly regretting it as your lower back gives off a dull throb. Sungji smirks as she pats your back. You turn to her and give her a hard glare. “You crossed a line just then, I hope you know that.” You cross your arms in front of you and pout for a few seconds, until you remember about the extra set of eyes watching you.

You can feel your heartbeat race again as you drop your arms into your lap and search the room. Your eyes meet with Kai’s as he crouches down next you, his worried brows scrunching together.

He places his hand onto your shoulder and whispers, “You don't have to see him if you don't want to.” His hand tightens a bit on your shoulder, his tender eyes resting on your face.

You nod your head in reply as he stands up from his crouching position, and he begins speaking loudly to no one in particular. “He’s in his office. It would be better if she went by herself.”

“Wait, no," you interrupt. Kai’s eyes dash back to you as you continue to sit on the floor, a confused look on his face.

You then push yourself up from the floor and look directly at him. “I mean- I don’t want to go by myself. Could you…”  You avert your eyes from having to look at Kai’s face as you ask. “Could you come with me?"

Unsure of what to say, he blinks a few times at your mouth as you start to bite your bottom lip. He gives a small cough and looks away, causally replying, “Yeah, sure.”

Luhan gives you both a small nod and says, “Follow me.” You glance up at Sungji before leaving and she gives you a smile and a thumbs-up. 

Luhan leads you and Kai to the back of the library where a large opening in the wall is before you, and through the opening lies a set of double doors, firmly standing side by side. 

The blonde boy stands in front of the double doors and nods toward the doorknob. “I’d rather not go in anyway. He practically tried to kill me when he saw that you were here.” A mischievous smile appears on his face and he walks away, laughing to himself.

You linger on Luhan’s disappearing figure, and then turn back to the set of doors in front of you. You want to stall and take as long as you can until you’re ready to open the door, but Kai’s voice suddenly interrupts your thoughts, and it’s actually quite welcoming. “Should I open the door, or…”

You try not to smile at Kai's cute expression, so you force yourself to make a move. Your hand reaches for the doorknob, and once your hand is on it, you can feel your stomach do a somersault.

You shut your eyes for a second and take a deep breath before turning the knob and opening the door…

 

…only to realize that the door refuses to budge.

Your eyebrows scrunch together and you try to twist the doorknob to the left and to the right. It doesn't give. There's only one thing left to do. “Taemin, open the door. NOW.”

Kai tilts his head and raises his eyebrow at you, his mouth slightly open.

“Hey!” you yell at the door. “You think this is funny, huh?” You resort to banging your fists on the door and Kai’s eyes go wide. “Whoa, whoa, are you serious?” Kai comes up behind you and grabs your hand. “You can’t do that!” You scoff and tear your hand away from Kai.

“Oh please, he’s doing this because he knows he's in trouble. Still the same Taemin.” Your fists continue to attack the doors, threatening to leave marks on the wood.  “Lee Taemin, didn't you hear me tell you to open the door?!”

A knock comes from the other side of the double doors and you can hear someone moving around.

There’s a thump and a muffled voice can be heard from the crack in the middle of the doors. “Oh, I’m sorry, Taemin is not here right now. Would you like to leave a message?”

You have got to be kidding me.

“Taemin, I swear to God, if you don’t open this door right now—“ You hear the door give a soft click and the right door swings open.

“You really shouldn’t be here, you know.”

Your brother’s voice is loud and clear now and you take a step back to stand near Kai. In the doorway stands a skinny, well-dressed, blonde boy, his eyes narrowed at you and his gaze piercing through you.  

Ignoring his eyes, you fold your arms in front of you and roll your eyes. "Please continue to look at me like that, because as far as I know, I'm the one who should be angry. Not you." 

“You’re right,” he says, leaning against the door. “I shouldn’t be mad at you.” His eyes then shoot in Kai’s direction and you swear you can see Kai's body begin to tremble. “Hey now-,” he stammers, taking a step back. “Luhan was the one who let her in.” He flings his hand in the direction of the other room.

Taemin takes a step forward and practically throws himself at Kai hands-first, but you step in front of him and push his body inside of the room. “I’m not finished talking,” you growl. You continue to move him into the room until you reach a chair in his office and he falls into it. You walk back and drag Kai into the office as well, shutting the door after everyone is inside.

“So this is where you've been?” You’re standing in front of where Taemin is seated, your hands balled into fists by your side. “This is where you disappeared to?!” Taemin fidgets in his seat and begins to say something, but you cut him off. “Why didn’t you tell me? Did you know that I missed you?! Are we even family?!”

He’s now looking down at the floor, biting the inside of his cheek angrily.

“Look at me,” you order him, and he forces his eyes to meet yours.

“Who do you think you are, huh?” There are tears gathering in your eyes but you refuse to let them fall. You’re determined to get every word out that you've built up over the past years; there's no point in holding them in anymore.

Frustrated, he ruffles the back of his hair and grunts. “Look, I wanted to tell you, okay?” He stands from his chair and circles around it, moving towards his desk. “But do you know how hard it is to tell your little sister that you’re leaving to go to another dimension? Do you know how much of a responsibility I had at that time?”

He laughs bitterly at his statement, and shakes his head. “There was no way I could tell you. You’d think I was crazy.”

You roll your eyes again, and slowly move towards his desk.

“Idiot. I already thought you were crazy, so it wouldn’t have made a difference. I was eighteen and you couldn’t even trust me then?" You mess with the hem of your shirt, twisting it until it wrinkles. "I needed you.” Your words are ice cold to Taemin and he turns away from you, holding back guilty tears.

During all of this, Kai is standing near the door, silently witnessing your confrontation with Taemin. For three years, Kai has stayed by Taemin’s side, listening and learning from him. For three years, he has seen Taemin on his g

Please log in to read the full chapter