02 | GONE

The Keeper's Destiny
Please log in to read the full chapter

§

You hug the sides of your pillow and shift softly under the sheets, your alarm cutting through your sleep. You open one eye and glare at the screen. With a pitiless tap on the display, the alarm ceases and you turn onto your back. It's the weekend, so you try your best not to let your body get up yet as your list of to-do's for the day begin to run through your head. 

You give yourself one final moment of utter comfort, before deciding to sit up in your bed and throw the covers from your body. You are surprised when you end up grasping air instead of a warm top cover. You glance at the floor, your covers laying in a pile on the floor. Again. You roll your eyes at yourself and climb out of bed, throwing one leg off of the side and then following it with the other.

Before you forget, you grab your phone from the nightstand and send a quick text to Sungji, asking if you left anything at her place last night. A forgetful mind causes you to leave something there, or in her car, routinely.

Her reply is swift, surprisingly, since she thoroughly enjoys her sleep and would sleep all day if she was allowed to. You glance at the text:

You send an apology text and rush to the bathroom to get ready. So much for lounging around.

 

As you walk out of the house, you thank the skies for a non-rainy day and enter your car. The slight cough and wheeze of the car while it starts up makes you smile. 

This car used to be your brother’s. It was his first, as well as your first.

Your brother is older by only a few years, and probably the closest person to you. Siblings can be annoying sometimes, but with him, the annoyance was just another way of letting each other know you had each other’s backs. This was the way it was, until he left three years ago.

No one knows where he left to, or why he decided to leave his car behind. There was a note on the windshield with your name on it the day your parents found his room all packed up.

There was a small part of you that felt betrayed, even left behind. But it was a resounding gut feeling that he’s okay that aided you in letting him go. You slide one of your hands over the leather dash. With a sigh, you put the car in drive, and make your way to Sungji’s. She doesn’t live too far, but the drive is enough of an excuse to listen to some of your favorite tunes.

Stopping at a red light, you crouch down into the passenger seat to grab your aux cord, when suddenly you hear a high-pitched screeching coming from outside.

Confused, you sit up straight and look through the front windshield.

 

And this is the moment when you regret leaving the safety of your bed.

 

All you can manage to breathe out is a strained "oh my god".

In front of you is an upside down car, and to the right of it, a body. You can feel your heart rate increasing and you look around to see if there’s anyone that can help, but there's nobody. 

Please log in to read the full chapter