01 | LEATHER

The Keeper's Destiny
Please log in to read the full chapter

*It is highly recommended to read the forward before proceeding. Enjoy!*

§

You grumble to yourself as you grasp the sides of your essay, the red ink scrawled in the corner still fresh. 

Fifteen hundred words; a small feat but still not deemed worthy as a giant 78 on the first  page stares obnxiously at you. You let out a small growl and shove the paper violently into your folder, praying the pile in front is enough to conceal it. Before you can close your folder, another paper is in front of you, with a delicate hand gripping its side.

“This was too easy,” says a tiny voice, as a tiny girl accompanies it, stepping in front of your desk. You hesitantly glance at her paper; an elegant 93 sits happily in the top right corner. Your eyes widen and you desperately snatch the sides of the paper, gaping at the tiny figure in front of you. “This is ridiculous," you say as you bite back a line of complaints. "I write a paper dedicated to the art of poetry with top-of-the-line references, and you write a biased paper on how you thought Romeo from Romeo and Juliet was a ert." 

The tiny girl rolls her eyes at you and retrieves the paper from your hands. She delicately places it into a sheet protector in one of her folders. “It’s not my fault she agrees with me,” she says while nodding in the teacher's direction.

You turn towards her desk and scrunch your eyebrows together. "This doesn't feel fair at all.” She giggles, sticks out her thumb, and rubs it in the space between your brows. “If you keep making that face at me, it'll get stuck like that.”

Contrary to popular belief, Shin Sungji is older than you. By a good number of years, too.

As best friends go, she's the best. You're more thant thankful for someone to struggle through life with. Biologically, you're not sisters but you both like to entertain the idea once in a while.

It helps that you're similar when it comes to style and music, but there is a contrast when it comes to personality. You tend to be impulsive and emotional at times, but Sungji quells your anxieties and presents the logical side of things. You have your differences but nevertheless, you balance each other out and the small things you can share together are the cherry on top. 

You glance up at her as you finally relax your eyebrows, and you look into her green eyes. “Yeah, I get it,” you mumble. She smirks at you and plops down in her seat. And with that, the teacher begins her lessson. Without fail, your mind starts to wander, organizing your day with a mental checklist:

Homework? Check.

Studying? Yup.

Cleaning? Maybe, if I feel like it later.

Somewhere between deciding to doing laundry when you get home and whether or not you should wash your hair, your mind runs back to your strange encounter with the figure i

Please log in to read the full chapter