Chapter 8

I Just Wanna

Aj bounced a rubber ball off of the wall. He was laying on the couch of the recording room and thinking hard.

"What if it started with the duet harmonizing to a couple chords?" Daehoon suggested. Minchun shook his head.

"That would make it too similar to way too many of our love songs. It would be boring and repetitive." he argued. Daehoon sighed before his eyes brightened up.

"What if-" Aj cut him off. The ball bounced off the wall and he caught it with one hand.

"Dae, let's listen to that song you edited. I'm sorry I never got the chance to listen to it." The blonde said. Daehoon frowned.

"Shouldn't we be working on the song though? We need to finish it so the others can start using it to set up the show." He said. Aj shook his head and sat up on the couch, his fingers flinging the ball up into the air and catching it.

"The best way to get rid of writers' block is to get your mind off of it." He nodded towards the dark-haired male. "Let's all listen to it." Daehoon looked around the room to his coworkers. His friends. He sighed and reached into his pocket to pull out his flash-drive. Soohyun chuckled.

"Why do you always keep your flash-drive in your pocket?" He asked with a smile. Daehoon shot him a playful scowl.

"Just so I don't lose it; I always know where it is." He retorted. He walked over to the computer next to the mixer and insert his drive. He placed his hand on the mouse and clicked around until he opened the file. The song began to play and Aj immediately began to bob his head. He ran into the recording booth and grabbed his guitar.

"I like how you used a piano for the chord progression." The blonde said when he returned. He began to tune the guitar while the music played.

"Which chords are these?" He asked. Daehoon looked up at the ceiling, thinking.

"E major, F sharp major, E major, and D sharp minor." He proudly stated from memory. The blonde nodded and began to strum his guitar to the notes. Minchun tapped his chin.

"Are you suggesting we sample from Daehoon's song? The chords sound really nice on the guitar." He asked. Aj nodded, stopping his strumming.

"Definitely. I believe this song is about as perfect as we can get." He replied. Daehoon grinned but put his hands up. He pointed to Aj.

"Aj's the one who made the song; I just dabbled with it a bit." He said. The blonde shook his head.

"Oh please. I gave you a melody and some chords. You made a song-"

"A song that was based on your hard work." Daehoon countered. "Stop being humble, Aj. There aren't any girls here you have to impress." Just as his sentence finished, Sulli opened the door to the recording room and peeked her head in.

"Speak of the devil..." Minchun muttered.

"Hey, losers. Mr. Lee wants to see all of you. Except for you Aj. You need to stay here and finish tutoring Taeyeon." She said in her professional voice. Aj could tell Mr. Lee was really working her. She gave him a half-hearted smile and closed the door behind her.

"She totally likes you." Soohyun said once she left the room. Minchun and Daehoon nodded.

"More like she's totally in love with you; did you hear how bitter she sounded when she mentioned Taeyeon?" Daehoon laughed at his statement. Minchun, who had been standing next to Aj, patted the blonde's shoulder.

"Guys give him a break. He's totally in love with Taeyeon." He gave Aj a suggested smile and elbowed the male. "And it looks like she's been giving you the googly eyes too, yeah?"

Aj sighed and sat back on the couch, resting his feet on the black leather.

"I'm not going to date anyone, guys." He stated, almost out of memory. "Sulli is my friend and has been ever since high school. Taeyeon is way out of my league and she's a singer now. She has schedules and rehearsals and stuff." He forced himself not to pout as he lightly tugged on the strings of the guitar. "And besides, they're both my coworkers and that by itself is extremely unprofessional."

Soohyun nodded, but Daehoon and Minchun shook his head.

"You have to date someone eventually, Aj." Daehoon said. "I mean, it's fine if you don't date. It really is, but I know you. You aren't built for the single life."

"Also, no homo, but you look hot without the glasses." Minchun commented. Aj stopped strumming and looked at him. So did Daehoon and Soohyun. Minchun blushed.

"I mean, not saying you don't look hot all the time, I'm just saying you look really good when you don't have the glasses." He rambled. "A-And even with the glasses, you look amazing. Like wow-" Daehoon shoved the male outside.

"Stop talking, Min, just stop." He said as he walked himself outside too. "See you later, llama." Daehoon saluted to the blonde and left the door open behind him. Soohyun shook his head and laughed silently.

"Hey, Aj. Don't stress, alright?" He said in his calming voice. Aj nodded as Soohyun left the room. Before he closed it, however, Aj shouted.

"Expect the song to be submitted in a few days, fellas."

"Sir, yes sir!" Daehoon replied from behind the door. Soohyun shut the door once the conversation ended. Aj continued to strum his guitar before he suddenly stopped. He frowned and reached for his glasses.

"No, this is stupid." He said, putting his hand down. But yet again, his hand went up and pulled off his glasses. He closed them and placed them in his jeans pocket. He messed with his hair and combed it to the side with his fingers. His hands dropped immediately as someone walked into the room.

"Hey, Tae." He greeted nervously. Taeyeon smiled brightly at him before curiously cocking her head to the side.

"New look?" She asked.

"Oh, uh no no." Aj shook his head violently to move his hair back to its original position. He grabbed his glasses from his jeans and put them on quickly. "That was...that was nothing. I just-"

"I liked it." She interrupted him. "You looked...better. Not saying you don't already, but-" She stopped talking in order not to embarrass herself furthermore. Aj laughed at this. He suddenly remembered something and snapped his fingers.

"I will be free all day tomorrow, so we could rehearse again tomorrow whenever you would like." He stated with a smile. Taeyeon grinned.

"That's great! I was actually going to ask you if we could practice a bit more and record a concert version of Set Me Free tomorrow since...you know." She drifted off as she spoke. Aj raised an eyebrow, confused.

"Since...what?" He asked. Taeyeon's brows furrowed.

"Didn't you read the mail I gave you?" She asked. It was now Aj's turn to furrow his brows. He thought about the mail he received a couple days ago. He had not touched it ever since then. He shook his head and Taeyeon smiled sadly.

"I'll be gone for a while. There's a concert going on in the U.S. and I've been invited. They want me to sing a solo song so I chose Set Me Free." She stated. Aj's heart sunk as he heard Taeyeon was going to be going away, but he smiled.

"Your talent is getting recognized. What did I tell you?" He laughed before he slid his legs over from the couch to the ground. Taeyeon grinned.

"You practically taught me everything." She said. Aj shook his head and smiled modestly.

"So when will you be leaving?"

"In a few days. My schedule will be full of meetings with fans, meetings with the sound team I'll be working with while in the U.S., and meetings with the big business guys. Tomorrow at practice will technically be my last free day."

"How long will you be gone?"

"It depends. If all goes well at the concert, someone might want to start endorsing me. Maybe I'll be gone for a week, maybe I'll be gone for a month."

"Then, I'll say this in the nicest way possible: I hope I don't see you for the next two months unless it's you being successful on a screen."

The pair let out an empty laugh at this and looked down. Almost as if a switch went off, they both looked at each other at the same time.

"Hey, would you mind-"

"Tae, would you like to-"

Real laughter filled the air. Aj removed the guitar strap from his chest and sat it on his lap.

"What were you saying?" He asked. He shifted his hair out if his eyes to see her better.

"No, what were you saying?" She asked him. The blonde shook his head.

"Ladies first." He argued. Before Taeyeon could argue, he shook his head again and repeated his sentence. She looked at him for a few seconds and rolled her eyes.

"I was going to ask you if you would like to see a movie." She admitted. He laughed.

"I was going to ask you if you wanted some coffee." He replied. He jogged to the recording booth to return the guitar before returning back. "Why don't we do both?"

"Tonight?" She asked. Aj nodded.

"Why not? We have fun tonight and work hard tomorrow?" He suggested. Taeyeon giggled and nodded.

"Sounds like a date."