Chapter 2: Run

It Shouldn't Have Happened
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Run

None of them have been counting, not a single of them realizes that it’s been another week they haven’t seen Min Yoongi. He’s like getting too far from them, this one though everyone notices. Yoongi doesn’t just avoid Eunji and Daehyun, it seems like he’s also avoiding Bomi for reason no one knows.

They don’t talk about it, the three. It doesn’t mean they also avoid him, it just seems that’s what Yoongi really wants. He needs time, they know. Also, maybe no one wants to admit, but talking about his latest behavior will also sound like blaming anyone related, which means Eunji and Daehyun will be tangled with it. That’s why they prefer to never try to touch this topic. Let alone each of them thinks about it by themselves and finds their own solution.

 

Looking at her reflection from the mirror, Eunji sighs. She’s not pleased by the look in front of her. There is nothing wrong with her brocade mini dress actually, but it’s not quite strong inviting her smile. Something is not right, she feels. But not quite sure how to explain that.

She spins around, watching the dress swirling, and giving one last check.

“What with that look, Ji?”

A male in curly light brown hair stands leaning his shoulder to the side door of her room. Watching her frowning seemingly unpleasant with her own look.

“The dress looks good,” he continues.

“I don’t know … Ilhoon-ah,” says her, “it’s not about the dress, I just think something is not right …” and a heave of breath follows.

Walking inside her room, Jung Ilhoon, a cousin who lives with her, sits on the side of her bed with a fresh apple on his hand.

“You look perfect today, and if you’re looking for something missing, it’s your smile,” he smiles, encouraging.

“You think so?” she smiles also, earning a nod from the male. “Ok, then,” she trusts her cousin.

Eunji then continues dressing by doing simple bread to her hair. Ilhoon stays, watching her busying herself while eating his apple. There is this thing he’s quite curious but not sure how to utter it. Just like he said, the missing thing from her appearance is her smile. And compared to her oblivious side, Ilhoon is pretty aware of why her smile isn’t naturally presented.

Having been living with her for two years, Ilhoon has become a quiet observer. She loves smiling, it’s her nature, being a cousin of her he knows this part very well. There are many types of her smiles, and Ilhoon also aware of some of it. Like one beaming smile which he hasn’t seen recently. It used to be there, every time she said she’s seeing her friends—the friends that include Daehyun, Bomi and Yoongi.

However strangely, it’s not presented nowadays even though she says she’s meeting them.

That has led him to think something might have happened between her and them. He wants to know. Being curious is rather a nature side of all humankind.

“Ji?”

She hums without turning around.

“Are you … dating Daehyun?”

This successfully invites her gaze. “Yah, just because I’m going with him doesn’t mean I’m dating him. What’s wrong with you?”

Get a straight complaint Ilhoon pouts, “I’m just asking …” he defends weakly, “it just feels you guys’ friendship is getting weird.”

“Jung Ilhoon,” Eunji decides to stop what her doing and turns her body to him, “… you realize it?”

A light grin appears on Ilhoon’s lips. He nods.

“What happened, Sis? Tell me, who knows I can help …”

Looking at him in the eye, Eunji isn’t sure. Ilhoon is surely one trusty person. Telling him won’t harm her either. But there is this part of her who cannot decide whether their matter should be shared or not. It’s complicated. She doesn’t want people learn that their friendship is getting weak over some stupid confessions.

Their friendship is one important thing in her life. She often brags to people how their platonic friendship will remain strong no matter what. And it doesn’t sound compelling anymore with Daehyun’s confession, her rejection, and Yoongi’s recent act. She’s sad. She has suggested that they should just forget whatever it was and back to normal.

However, it doesn’t work well. It’s not just because of what Yoongi does recently. It’s also because deep down, she’s slowly expecting something else from this friendship. There is a tiny part of her that wishes she can be selfish. Defining the meaning of selfish itself is hard. She doesn’t want to admit.

“… it’s not easy, right?”

She looks up. Eyes meet his eyes again, and a light grin is there, decorating his lips. Ilhoon knows, she notes. This brother of her seems to know her better than herself. So, she just nods. Wishing he can figure out more without even being told.

“So, both Daehyun and Yoongi have confessed to you?”

Startled, she’s frowning. Ilhoon might know how to read her, but this remark isn’t supposed to be learned that easy. She doesn’t give sign to anyone, she’s sure about this. But again, Ilhoon seems to have his own way to figure that out. No need to question, he’s a pretty quick learner.

“Daehyun did,” she says, “and I did.”

“You?” this one though Ilhoon fails to figure out, “what does that mean?”

He sees her sighing.

“It’s complicated …”

“Oh c’mon, tell me,” he says being all eager and impatient.

She’s considering, his brother can tell. So, waiting seems the only option he has. And he does. Lifting both his legs, he crosses it and leans his hands on it. Eunji is fidgeting there.

When eyes meet, he knows it’ll begin.

“Daehyun confessed that he likes me, not as a friend but as a woman… and that day, I realized that I have a particular feeling for Yoongi… I know, it’s just too much. So, I told them let’s stay the same. Let’s forget what happen and return to where we used to be …”

He nods, trying to learning the story well.

“… but. It doesn’t seem to work… I don’t …”

“Ji, what about Yoongi?”

She looks up. He catches it.

“I don’t know … he’s avoiding us. It’s as if, he’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter