The Faint Scent Of Strawberry

Boy Next Door

Jeonghan wakes up with a wide smile plastered on his face and he immediately bounces out of bed; today was the day.

Today was the day of his first official date with Jisoo and they had planned a picnic far away from 10:04 and their curious friends.

Jeonghan looks over at the wall that separates apartment 116 from his own - he wonders if the boy is already up and whether Jisoo is thinking about him.

The sound of Jeonghan’s bare feet on the floor and the pattering of rain makes up the soundtrack of the morning.

Wait, Jeonghan thinks, rain?

He races to the window and pushes aside the curtain. The window was sheeted in raindrops and the rain was so heavy he could hardly see across the street.

Jeonghan curses. There was no way they were going to be able to go out in this weather.

“Uh, Jisoo,” Jeonghan starts once the other picks up his phone.

“You realise I live right next to you, right?” Jisoo laughs, “You could have just knocked on my door?”

Jeonghan looks down at his bare chest and worn track pants. Jeonghan didn’t even want to know how much he would blush if Jisoo saw him like this, or if Jisoo was wearing a similar thing…

“Jeonghan?” Jisoo asks after a couple of seconds of silence and Jeonghan clears his throat and tries to push the thoughts aside, embarrassed that he was thinking about it.

“Have you looked outside by any chance? I have a feeling Plan: Cute Date is no longer under operation.”

“What?” Jisoo asks confused and Jeonghan hears the boy start to move, to presumably look out the window.

“Ah crap,” Jisoo sighs in disappointment.

Jeonghan can’t help but laugh under his breath at the boy’s cute and innocent choice of words.

“Just get ready and maybe it’ll ease up, otherwise I’ll think of something,” Jisoo says.

Jeonghan wants to believe Jisoo’s words as he wanted to go on this date so much (he had waited long enough for it), but the rain outside the window was not the kind that was likely to ease.

Jeonghan said as much to Joshua who replied, “Yoon Jeonghan, you aren’t getting out of this date.”

Jeonghan wanted to laugh at the unbelievable idea that Jisoo was even joking about him not wanting to go on the date.

“I don’t want to get out of it, but the weather…”

 “Just get ready and I’ll have it sorted out. Trust me.” Jisoo says reassuringly.

Jeonghan agrees even though he has no idea how Jisoo was going to sort it out. Jisoo may be good at just about everything, but not even he’s able to control the rain.

“Okay, I trust you. You’re a great boyfriend,” Jeonghan smiles against his phone receiver, as his cheeks ever so slightly turn pink.

He’s still not used to calling Jisoo his boyfriend and he gets even more flustered whenever Jisoo uses the word - which Jisoo makes sure he does a lot as his favourite pastime seemed to be making the boy flustered.  

“I know,” Jeonghan can almost hear Jisoo’s smile over the phone.

“But you’re an even better boyfriend,” Jisoo continues, chuckling as soon as Jeonghan’s face flushes; even over the phone the boy somehow knows.

Once Jeonghan was out of the shower and dressed, he calls up Jisoo again; but not before looking out the window at the weather that still hadn’t changed.

“Hello,” Jisoo answers, his breath slightly laboured as if he was moving something heavy.

“Uh, are you okay?” Jeonghan asks.

“Oh, I’m fine. I just-“

Jeonghan hears something hit the floor as Jisoo lets out a loud groan over the phone.

“Jisoo what are you doing? I’m coming over right n-“

“No, no! Don’t!” Jisoo protests, “It’s part of my plan; I’m improvising.”

“Okay…”

Jeonghan has no idea what his boyfriend could be doing, but he wasn’t about to argue, especially if whatever it was ended in them still being able to have a cute date.

“Give me 20 minutes,” Jisoo pleads, and Jeonghan imagines him attempting to give puppy eyes over the phone.  

“Fine, but no longer; otherwise I’m kicking down your door.”

“That would be weirdly attractive,” Jisoo laughs as Jeonghan can’t stop himself from once again blushing.

 

Jeonghan tries to keep himself busy for the next 20 minutes; moving some misplaced items back into their places and straightening up his bed sheets – the kind of routine tasks he does when he’s nervous. But his attempt to distract himself is for nought as he ends up instead pacing his apartment; his mind filled with the ticking of his clock and theories on what Jisoo’s improvisation could be.  

To help try and pass the time (and in an attempt to find out Jisoo’s plan), Jeonghan texts Seungkwan:

 

Jeonghan: do you know jisoos plan?

 

Seungkwan: do you have amnesia ??? ur going on a picnic ???

 

Jeonghan: have you looked outside? we cant unless we want to catch pneumonia and die but then youd miss me too much

 

Seungkwan: its sunday why would I look outside ???  I dont go outside on sundays and ew dont be lame

 

“Except for Soonyoung and Seokmin’s food,” Jeonghan mutters as he puts his phone back in his pocket; obviously Seungkwan didn’t seem to know about Jisoo’s new plan.

 

Jeonghan breaks the rule and calls Jisoo again after only 13 minutes of the requested 20.

“How much longer?” He whines, “I don’t like surprises.”

Jisoo sighs, “Okay, you can come now. I’m just fixing up the finishing touches.”

Jeonghan flies out of his apartment, almost forgetting to lock up, and eagerly knocks on the door of 116, his heart beating in anticipation.

Jisoo opens the door, takes one look at Jeonghan bouncing on the balls of his feet and shakes his head.

“My boyfriend is so impatient,” Jisoo tsks, checking to see that Jeonghan’s trademark blush had made an appearance.

Jeonghan simply pouts as he tries to look past Jisoo into his apartment, which only made Jisoo chuckle as it proved his point.

Finally, Jisoo swings open the door, motioning wide to what was inside.

Jeonghan’s mouth opens in awe as he takes in the room. Inside was a picnic blanket laid out on the floor, with way too much food for two people. But that wasn’t all; Jisoo had decorated the floor with pot plants, he’d somehow hung pillow cases up from the roof like less fluffy versions of clouds, and across the window in an attempt to hide the rain, he’d hung up a sheet on which a kindergarten landscape was painted.

“Seeing as we can’t go outside, I brought the picnic to you!” Jisoo exclaims.

Jeonghan is still too in awe to say anything and he just looks around with wide eyes, not believing that Jisoo would do all this for him.

“Do you like it?” Jisoo asks nervously, obviously thrown off by the boy’s silence, “I mean, I’m sorry it had to rain and I didn’t have a lot to work with but for some reason I had some paint lying around an-”

Without even thinking it through, Jeonghan closes the difference between him and Jisoo and wraps him in a tight hug.

“I love it, thank you,” Jeonghan whispers against Jisoo’s ear, before pulling back in embarrassment.

Jeonghan smiles slightly as Jisoo looked even more embarrassed than him. The boy’s cheeks were flushed bright red and it took him a couple of seconds to regain his composure enough to continue.

“But I mean, I’m still sorry. I should have checked the weather and I-”

Jeonghan smiles shyly to himself as he looks at Jisoo - his boyfriend. The boy who was so nervous about having an amazing date that he does so much, but still worries that it isn’t enough.

“It’s fine. It’s great! In fact; I might even like it more than our other plan,” Jeonghan reassures Jisoo, coaxing a smile out of him.

“Now, stop worrying. I want to eat,” Jeonghan continues just as his stomach let’s out a growl.

“Alright,” Jisoo laughs as he takes Jeonghan’s hand and leads him over to the picnic blanket.

“We aren’t in 10:04 for once, but I’m sorry to say the food is still curtesy of Soonyoung and Seokmin.” 

“As long as there’s so possibility that they will come and join in our date, it’s completely fine,” Jeonghan says, his hand already eagerly reaching for a sandwich.

“Ah, does that mean I should probably uninvite them?” Jisoo warily asks.

Jeonghan’s brow furrows for a second before he sees the smile spread across Jisoo’s face to show that the boy was joking.

Jeonghan goes to push Jisoo as punishment for the lame joke, but the boy dodges out the way, jumping up and out of Jeonghan’s reach.

Jeonghan sighs before getting up in an attempt to get his revenge; he would have just let it go if Jisoo hadn’t worn the biggest smirk on his face when Jeonghan’s hit caught empty air.

Jeonghan however jumped up a bit too quickly and he started to lose his balance. He thought for sure that he was embarrassingly going to end up making a bed out of the food, but instead he was suddenly steady as he felt a hand on his back.

Jeonghan looks behind him to see Jisoo’s smiling face, inches from his.

“How cute of you to fall for me,” Jisoo says, his smile becoming even wider and his eyes crinkling in the corners.

“You are so lame,” Jeonghan says, but his own smile and his furiously blushing face told another story.

“Are you sure you haven’t been learning from Seungcheol?” Jeonghan asks, dropping his head and hoping that Jisoo wouldn’t mention how red his face was.

“I don’t think Seungcheol would be able to make you blush this much,” Jisoo laughs, but when Jeonghan hesitantly looks up again he sees that Jisoo’s cheeks are also flushed.

A silence falls over them; the couple are still only inches apart and Jeonghan’s eyes flit between Jisoo’s warm and friendly eyes, down to his lips and then back up again. Jeonghan really wanted to kiss him and judging from the way Jisoo’s eyes also kept on going back to Jeonghan’s lips, he’s guessing his boyfriend felt the same way.

Jisoo opens his mouth as if he’s going to say something but looks down at his feet instead. Jeonghan realises that he’s going to have to make the first move as he tries to think of what to do. Is he just going to kiss him? Is he going to say something cheesy and romantic?

“So…” is what comes out of his mouth instead.

“Yeah, so…” Jisoo says with a nervous laugh.

Jisoo looks as if he is going to say something more but hesitates, yet again.

Jeonghan lets out a small laugh, shaking his head at the boy who was more nervous than him for once.

As Jeonghan begins to lean in, it’s as if his senses were more aware; he could hear the patter of rain outside, he could hear his and Jisoo’s quiet breaths becoming one, he could feel his heart pounding in his chest and he could smell the faint scent of strawberry.

Jisoo lets out a small gasp when their lips meet and Jeonghan chuckles, smiling into the kiss.

Jeonghan couldn’t believe that he was finally kissing Jisoo, the boy who he had pined over for what felt like forever, and Jisoo was kissing him back. His stomach was full of hyperactive butterflies and he never wanted the feeling to go away.

When he finally pulls away he sees that Jisoo’s eyes are bright and his face was plastered with a goofy smile and Jeonghan expected that his expression must have looked much the same.

Jeonghan buries his face in the crook of Jisoo’s neck to hide his burning cheeks and inhales…to the smell of strawberry.

Jeonghan grabs the boy’s shoulders and holds him at arms length, “Hong Jisoo, why do you smell like strawberry?”

“My shampoo,” Jisoo mumbles.

“Was this for me?” he asks, remembering Jisoo’s distaste towards strawberry things.

Jisoo just mumbles something incoherent and blushes as he looks down at his fidgeting hands.

Jeonghan once again tells himself how lucky he is that everything ended up working out, and he ended up with a boyfriend as amazing as Jisoo.

Jeonghan tilts his head as he stares at his boyfriend, his face spreading into a wistful smile.

“I’m glad I acted like a stalker outside your door that day.”

Jisoo eyes crinkle as he laughs, “Me too.”


                      

 

 

IT FEELS SO WEIRD TO FINALLY CLICK THE COMPLETED BUTTON!! This was such a journey honestly and this is the most I've ever written and wow I just can't believe this is done !! And people actually read it !! And liked it !! Sorry sorry, I'm just having a little freakout right now. 

But I hope you liked that chapter !!! (I was freaking out about having to write a kiss tbh I had no idea what I was doing) But yes, I hope you found it really really cute !! And it ended the story on an adorable note !!

And this is my last chapter so once again I've got to say a massive MASSIVE thank you to everyone whose subscribed, upvoted and commented (your comments make my day sometimes honestly) 

Also in other news I finished this just in time for exams - so success !!! And hopefully I can write heaps more in the future for you guys (just gotta get through these exams ugh and then I'm all done with school so woo!) 

So once again, thank you so so much to everyone that's reading this <3 omg I will actually miss this story so much *wipes tear*