The Old Memories

Should I Say My Love Again

Spring 2015

Soeun had reached the jajangmyeon shop the place of their agreement to meet that day. She looks very beautiful wearing a white shirt with a pink cardigan and knee-length floral skirt. She came with a tote bag and a folder containing A4-sized paper wedding dress sketches. She ordered two jajangmyeon to ahjumma then sat near the window to be easily visible by Junho.

Ten minutes later Junho came to the jajangmyeon shop when ahjumma deliver her orders. That day he was very handsome wearing a gray sweater and navy blue denim carrying a black backpack as always. He was smiling when he saw her was already in the shop. He was immediately sit opposite her.

"What's wrong with your eye bags?" He asked wondered, looking at her face.

"Really? Lack of sleep last night. "Answer her, opening the folding mirror from her purse.

"Do you think about me until you're lacking sleep like that?" He nosy.

"Don’t be overconfident!" She said with a laugh.

He also laughed until his ears became red. Then he changed the subject, "Huh apparently you've ordered jajangmyeon for me?" He asked while putting his backpack on a chair beside him.

"Yes. So you can immediately eat it. "She replied, smiling.

"Gomawo." He said.

They began to eat their jajangmyeon. While they ate the chat between the two old friends have flowed smoothly with no awkward moments. The chat begins with the topic of their work. He told her that day he was arguing with his customer because the idealistic photographers opinion is contrary to customer tastes. While Soeun tells of her VIP customer who already five times revise her wedding dress designs.

"It's hard if the customer wants a lot like that." He said when consuming his jajangmyeon last mouthful.

"Not really. I understand they want to wear the best dress for the most important day of her life. "She replied wisely.

Junho smiled then rested his head on his hand. "How about you? Have you wearing the best dress on your own wedding day? "He asked her.

She looked at him and raised her right hand, "Don’t you see on my fingers? There’s no ring right? I'm still single! "She replied.

"Haven’t found your Mr. Right?" Asked him again.

"Heumm. Two times dating in college but eventually broke up because they’re just not right person for me. "She answered without expression of regret. "And what about you? You must change your girlfriends frequently, right? "Accused her.

He just shook his head to answer her question. "I'm still the same as the last time I met you. I've never dated until now. "He replied with a sad smile.

"Seolma! I'm sure a lot of women lined up to be your girlfriend. Haha. "She laughs doesn’t believe a handsome man like him never dating. Just like Junho seven years ago.

"Ha Ha. I'm telling the truth, Soeun. There’s no time for a relationship. I've been busy with my photography business since college. Even until now. "He replied. He actually lie, the real reason he was never dating is not that. He couldn’t forget the girl he loved since high school until now. He expects her to love him back.

" Junho-yah! Don’t waste your look. You are cool and handsome. And you are a successful professional photographer."Nosy her. She looked at her watch on her left wrist then rush to finish her remaining drinks up."By the way I should've been at the office again, There’s  an appointment for VIP customer that I've been telling you," she continued.

"All right then, I also have to finish my work. Some day we should have a lunch together again, Soeun-ie. "He said.

She was frozen. 'Soeun-ie' is the call from him to her while still in high school. She had not called like that for a long time. She missed the days when every day she was called by that name especially from  Junho.

***

Winter 2008

"Soeun-ie!" Junho call her who was sitting alone on a park bench. She who feels called then stood and turned to Junho who was running toward him with a wide smile.

"What’s wrong Junho?" Asked Soeun wonder.

"Have you decided the university?" Asked him.

She shook her head as she sat on a park bench followed by him. "Not yet. I plan to apply to Ewha University but still confused with the majors that I will take. I want to continue my interest in Fashion Designer, but my parents thought it’s not a job to be a Fashion Designer. They want me to be a lawyer like them. How about you? " She replied.

"I've already apply to Konkuk University for Film Major. Follow your heart, Soeun. " he was reassuring her. She smiled at his advise, then back again to a gloomy face. "Hey why now?" Asked him.

"We’re gonna separate, Junho-yah! If we accepted you will be at Konkuk University and me at Ewha University. Who will accompany me to eat jajangmyeon? And who will accompany you to take photographs? I’m gonna  miss all the moments with you, Junho! "She was still with her glum face.

Unknowingly she hugged him who was sitting beside her. He also hugged her. Once aware they let go of their arms but their faces still close together. He looked at her eyes and then move downward. He’s getting closer to her face and his lips gently kissed hers with a glance.

Soeun surprised by Junho’s act, then she pushed his shoulder to stay away from her. She cried. She cried not because of sad but because she didn’t think he had the same feeling with her. She was happy that her first kiss with her first love. All this time she really liked him but she keep it because she was afraid their friendship will be broken.

Seeing her cry Junho became getting more awkward. He was puzzled by her reaction like that. Many times he asked her why she was crying but she didn’t answer. Junho more confused, he wondered whether his action was wrong to kiss her. She was also confused what to say, wanted to calm the mind down first.Then she left him, without uttering any word.

The next day at school Soeun looking for Junho. She wanted to tell two good news for Junho. The first one she would majored in Fashion Designer according to her interest and her heart and the second one she will declare her feelings to Junho. Eventually she found him who was in the art room along with Jang Wooyung, his friend. They were chatting as they washed the paintbrushes.

"You should treat me now because you lost the bet!" Said Wooyoung to Junho.

"Hey I said it earlier that I put that bet end." Said Junho.

"Eyy. You did that because you know you're going to lose the bet, right? You know Soeun will not kiss you first. Am I right? "Wooyoung accused.

"Am I just being a bet?" Suddenly Soeun’s voice stop their chatter. Then she cried and ran away from the art room.

***