The Old Friends

Should I Say My Love Again

Spring 2015

At a bus stop looks a guy wearing sunglasses with dark brown hair and he let his forehead covered by a thick bangs. That guy wearing a dark blue stripes T-shirt and unbottoned denim shirts looks carrying a large black backpack with a tag that read ‘Lee Junho’. After a few minutes of walking that guy finally arrived at Yeouido Park and seemed to pull out the camera from his backpack. Then he started looking for interesting objects to be captured.

Spring morning is the right time to take a great picture. Besides the flowers are blooming, the cool weather also makes it comfortable to linger to take the object. The guy bending his legs to kneel to be able to take a picture of flowers with a background of park bench. When he saw someone sitting on the bench there is a figure that interest him. A woman with shoulder-length dark brown hair wearing a white blouse that put into a khaki skirt. The woman was drawing on an A4 sized sketch pad.

The guy turned his gaze from the flowers and looped his camera around his neck then slowly approached the woman. He didn’t believe that he would meet her at this park. The woman was unaware when the guy was standing in front of her. She still serious draw on her sketch pad.

"Kim Soeun." Call him. The woman gasped when her name suddenly was called by a man and then she looked up to see a figure who called her name. When she recognized the face of the guy she was more shocked. She put her sketchbook on the bench and stood to align herself with him.

"Lee Junho!" she said half scream and hugged him briefly. Then he smiled broadly to make his eyes smaller and smaller until it forms a crescent. A smile that makes any woman's heart be melted including herself. She could only smile at him adorably. They don’t talk to each other, they enjoy the time just by looking at each other face.

After a few minutes of staring at each other they finally back to their sense. Junho then scratched his neck hump that doesn’t itch. His ears became increasingly red with embarrassment. So also with Soeun that her cheeks flushed from realizing awkwardness when meeting him.

"How are you?" He start the conversation.

"I'm fine," she replied with a smile still stuck on her lips. Then she sat back on the bench, patting the seat beside her to let him sit in that place. He sat down, took off his backpack and put it on his side.

"It is been a long time. When was the last time we met? "Asked him.

"Mmm. Maybe since we graduated from high school in 2008. That means it's 7 years! "She replied, patting his arm. "And two years ago we held a high school reunion. Didn’t you come? "Asked her.

"Yeah. I'm very busy, sorry. Though I'd love to meet all of you. "Answer him regret. She just nodded, smiling.

"Still the same. Junho and his camera. "While looking at the camera being his lap. "I hear you're a professional photographer now, right?" Asked her.

"Haha yeah you could say that, my income comes from this." He replied, pointing at the camera with his chin. "Where are you working now?" Asked him.

"Now I'm working at the designer’s office for the wedding dress in Dongdaemun." Answer her.

"Hmm my office also in Dongdaemun." He said.

She remembered the photography office that located side by side with hers. "Is your photography office named Nuneo Photography?" Asked her.

"Yes. How do you know? "Asked him shocked.

"I work at the Designer Lie Sang Bong, the office is right next to yours!" she replied enthusiastically.

"Is that right? Ah it’s a small world. But I never met you, though our office is next door .. "Said him which was interrupted by the ringing sound coming from the her cell phone. After finished answering her phone which comes from her boss, then she cleared her stuff.

"Junho, sorry I had to get to the office there comes a VIP customer. Mianhae. I look forward to our next meeting, Junho! "She said goodbye to him, waving her hand and then walked away. Just a few steps walking she heard her name called.

"Soeun!" Called him as he ran after her. "May I ask for your number, please?" Asked him. She nodded typing her phone’s number in his cell phone then give back to him. He smiled at his cell phone and pressing the dial button then put his cell phone to his ear. Her cell phone rang and when she saw her cell phone screen written calls from unknown number.

"That's my number. Save it! "

***

"Yoboseyo." Soeun answer a call from her cell phone while sitting in front of the dressing table in her room.

"Soeun." Replied a voice from the other side.

"Ah Junho." She recognized the voice easily.

"Shall we continue our little chit chat? Ehmm Ho.. How.. about tomorrow?"Asked him with hesitation.

"All right! What if while we have lunch? "Said her as she walked to her bed.

"At jajangmyeon shop near the office?"

"You read my mind huh? Call! "

"Arasso. See you tomorrow! "

"Annyeong!" Answered her as she lay down on her bed. She hasn’t stopped smiling since he called her. She remembered school days together with him. The days were very happy when life is still very easy.

***

Summer 2007

Soeun and Junho are third grade Senior Hyundai High School. They are in the same class and their seat next to each other in class. Since the first grade they are always in the same class and they have the same interest in the arts. Soeun very fond of sketching especially clothing design sketches, while Junho very fond of the art of photography and videography.

They are the type of students who are lazy, always copying other student’s homework, not active in student organizations, and often skipped classes together. They call themselves as partner in crime. They were often scolded by the teacher during the class. Junho scolded for sleeping in class, while Soeun scolded for frequently talk when the teacher was explaining to the class lesson.

"Junho!" She called him half whispered while Choi Seonsaengnim was explaining mathematics courses at the front of the classroom.

"Hmmm," he replied sleepily.

"Let's eat jajangmyeon after school. I hear there's a new jajangmyeon shop near the school. "Invite her.

"Ya! It’s the third times in a week you eat jajangmyeon. I don’t want it! Just invite your girl friends. "Said him irritated.

"They don’t want to because they're on a diet. Jaebaall. Come with me, please. I'll treat you an ice cream cone vanilla, your favorites. "she said, pulling out her aegyo. “And if you say no to me I will not accompany you to take the photographs again!” she threatened.

"Ok. Fine." he replied lazily.

Junho who very pleased with the photography always ask Soeun to accompany him to take a nice object to be photographed. He always invites her because she never complained when he was busy looking for the object.

"Hey you two! Junho! Soeun! "Suddenly Choi Seonsaengnim calling them. "I saw you talking during the class. Is that right?”

Junho and Soeun are surprised because their name was called by the teacher. They can only be silent.

“Is that right? Junho? Soeun?” Choi Seonsaengnim repeated the question that is not answered by them.

Ne, Seonsangnim.” Junho finally answered.

“As a punishment you have to run around the football field 5 rounds after class! You must not run away! "Said Choi Seonsaengnim.

Junho and Soeun still silent.

"Hey, did you hear me?" Asked Choi Seonsaengnim rather snap.

"Ne, Seonsaengnim!" They answered together.

***

TBC