Part V

Second chances

Epilogue

 

Wonshik was sitting in the the restaurant, happily sipping his coffee and reading the newspaper. He then glanced at the clock and smiled, because he still had some time before he would have to go to work. He exhaled deeply and closed his eyes and then opened them again. The man then took his phone into his hand, wanting to see if he got any new texts. At the realisation, that he received none, Wonshik pouted and frowned. Why didn't Hakyeon text him? He should be up by now! Wonshik then locked the screen and then started reading the newspaper. However, he quickly got tired of that and he folded it, placing it onto the table and he then leaned forward, supporting himself on his elbow.

 

He then started thinking and his eyes widened when an image of a certain person suddenly flashed in front of his eyes. Taekwoon... Wonshik's mood dropped and he sighed yet again, wanting to stop thinking about the other one, but he just couldn't do it. It's been ten years since he had last seen Taekwoon. Wonshik narrowed his eyes and pressed his lips together, wondering how was the other one doing. He wondered if he was happy without him in his life. Well, they never got to meet in the end really, so of course Taekwoon was living a happy life without him. Maybe he met another person, who could make him happier and-

 

Wonshik felt a stab at his heart and he quickly shook his head, knowing that he shouldn't think this way. It was his own decision to change the past, making it so that they've never met each other. Wonshik could still remember that day just as if it happened yesterday. When he pressed the button on the time travelling device, he suddenly found himself in the restaurant that he used to work. After that, he immediately stopped working there, because he knew that if he wouldn't, he would've ran into Taekwoon eventually. Because he was really convinced that Taekwoon couldn't live a happy life with him in his life, Wonshik made it that way that they've never met. It hurt like hell, but it was worth it if that meant Taekwoon being alive.

 

Not only that he quit his part time job, but Wonshik also changed his college. He didn't want to be a scientist anymore; being that wouldn't make him happy and he needed to get a fresh start. Now he was a university teacher in the literature department. However, Hakyeon and Hongbin still remained in his life; there was no way that he could go on completely alone.

 

Wonshik looked down, realising that he had already emptied the cup of coffee and he sighed. He suddenly felt horrible and he just wanted to go home. He really wanted to see Taekwoon and he let out an annoyed groan. After ten years, he still loved him; nothing had changed. Wonshik was still yearning to be with Taekwoon and there were days when Wonshik was really convinced that he wouldn't be able to make it without him in his life. However, as time went on, little by little, things became brighter and easier. But that didn't mean that the pain of losing Taekwoon was gone, no it was always present. It followed Wonshik everywhere he went.

 

Ahh, so annoying,” said Wonshik to himself and then looked at his phone again, but he rolled his eyes when he saw that he had new texts. He suddenly felt really lonely and he clicked with his tongue, feeling annoyed with his best friend. He had been sitting in the coffee shop for more than an hour and it was starting to get weird, because he was the only one who was sitting alone.

 

A few more minutes passed before Wonshik had finally decided that he had enough of the whole waiting thing. He paid for his things and then stepped outside, happiness slowly returning as the bright sun welcomed his face and a small smile appeared of Wonshik's face. As he started walking, his phone suddenly started buzzing and when he unlocked it, he saw that Hakyeon had finally decided to grace him with his presence.

 

Morning, Wonshik. I am so, so sorry about not texting you sooner. I overslept again. I really am sorry, but I will make it up to you. What do you say if we go out for a few drinks after work? Anyway, see you later. Bye.

 

Wonshik narrowed his eyes and he chuckled, shaking his head. He should have known that something like that happened. He then tapped the reply button and started replying back to Hakyeon. As he was writing his text, he was still walking and wasn't really paying attention to where he was going and just as he was about to hit the send button, he bumped into something, or rather someone, and landed on the floor. Wonshik's eyes widened when he suddenly lost his balance and then let out a whimper when something hot was spilled on his shirt. He looked down and when he saw that his favourite shirt was covered with coffee, Wonshik was furious with the other one. It was true that he wasn't really paying attention to where he was going, but the other one was at fault as well.

 

Are you serious?!” snapped Wonshik and started picking himself from floor. “This was my favourite shirt! I mean, can't you watch where you're going? I mean you have eyes for a reason and-” went on by saying Wonshik and then looked up, to see who the idiot that bumped into him was. However as he did that, his body froze and his heart stopped beating for a second, then it started racing. All of the colour left Wonshik's face, his throat suddenly feeling really dry. Taekwoon, it was Taekwoon. The feeling of Taekwoon appearing in front if him like that was too overwhelming for Wonshik that he couldn't really stop the tears from gathering in his eyes.

 

I am really, really sorry,” said the other one and started bowing. “I was in a hurry and I wasn't really watching where I was going,” he added and sighed when he saw that he must've spilled his coffee onto the stranger's shirt. “A-about your shirt-”

 

Wonshik, on the other hand was just standing there, not saying anything. He just kept staring at Taekwoon's face. He still looked the same as ever and Wonshik swallowed thickly. Taekwoon looked happy and he was happy to about that. Not only that, but he was still alive and Wonshik tried his best to restrain himself from breaking down in front of the other one. He still couldn't believe that this was Taekwoon, his Taekwoon. Wonshik firmed loose fists with his hands and he looked down, then back up. At that moment, he suddenly realised how much he still loved Taekwoon. He wanted to hug him, to touch him... to hear him say how much he meant to him.

 

S-sir?” asked Taekwoon and Wonshik's eyes were on him immediately. Just hearing his voice was enough to make Wonshik cry and he looked down as soon as tears started rolling down his face. But, knowing Taekwoon, Wonshik knew that that wouldn't go unnoticed from Taekwoon's eyes. “Are you so upset over a shirt? It's just a shirt, but if it's that important to you then-”

 

That's okay,” managed to say back the younger one, his heart aching at Taekwoon's kindness. Wonshik felt horrible for snapping at Taekwoon like that, he wished that he could take his words back.

 

I can buy you a new one if you'd like,” offered Taekwoon and new tears started streaming down Wonshik's face.

 

The younger male quickly wiped the tears away and forced a happy smile on his face, but it didn't really fool Taekwoon. “It's okay, really,” said Wonshik, trying to sound happy. “Anyways, I should get going because I'm really late for work and-”

 

You don't look okay though. You're crying,” said Taekwoon when he noticed new tears forming in Wonshik's eyes.

 

I'm completely fine,” said Wonshik and turned around, wanting to leave. “Okay bye then.” As Wonshik was about to leave, he was stopped by Taekwoon, who grabbed his wrist and forced him to turn around. Wonshik felt his heart racing when Taekwoon touched him and his body grew hotter. “W-what the hell are you doing?” snapped Wonshik.

 

Stay.”

 

Why?” asked Wonshik, who was completely shocked the way Taekwoon reacted. He then looked at the older one and it looked like he was trying to come up with a good reason that would make him stay and Wonshik frowned, not really getting the whole picture.

 

It's just that I feel really bad about what I did, even though you say it's okay,” said Taekwoon. “If you don't want a new shirt, then how about a drink, huh? That's the least that I can do.”

 

Wonshik's eyes widened at the realisation that Taekwoon had just asked him to get a drink with him and he was dying to say yes. However, he suddenly remembered the reason behind him going back in time and he froze, his whole body going numb and he started to panic. Now that they've met, did that mean that Taekwoon was going to...? , , . If something would happen to Taekwoon, he wouldn't be able to go back anymore because he destroyed the device, since it was brining him more pain than happiness. Wonshik swallowed thickly, knowing that he needed to get away as soon as it was possible.

 

That's really sweet of you, but I would like to politely decline your offer,” said Wonshik.

 

Why?”

 

Didn't you say that you were in a hurry?”

 

That can wait,” said Taekwoon. “Now, let's go for a drink.”

 

No.”

 

But I just want to-”

 

That's enough, Taekwoon!” said Wonshik louder and then quickly realised his mistake. He just called Taekwoon by his name. Great, just great. How was he supposed to explain to Taekwoon how he knew his name, if they didn't meet before?!

 

Wonshik watched how Taekwoon made a few steps back and it was clear that the other one was uncomfortable and upset. “H-how do you know my name?” asked Taekwoon carefully. “Have we met before?”

 

N-no,” whispered Wonshik. “We don't know each other.”

 

You're lying, we must've met some time before!” said Taekwoon and Wonshik swore that the older one looked happy about that. “This is why you seem so familiar to me, it feels like I know you. I know it sounds strange, but I would really like to get to know you better and I-”

 

It doesn't matter,” said Wonshik interrupting Taekwoon. God, he wanted to disappear at that moment. The way that Taekwoon was looking at him was slowly killing Wonshik. He knew that there was no way that he could say no to the other one; he never could. Just as Taekwoon was about to speak up again, he was interrupted by someone else calling his name and both, Taekwoon and Wonshik, turned around.

 

Taekwoon,” said someone and Wonshik immediately recognised him; it was Taekwoon's friend, Jaehwan. “I was searching everywhere for you, where the hell were you?” he said and then stopped next to Taekwoon, leaning in, connecting their lips in a soft kiss and Wonshik was sure that his heart broke again. It looked like they weren't just friends anymore. So... Taekwoon found someone else after all. He didn't know whether he should be happy or not.

 

Ah, sorry Jaehwan-ah,” said Taekwoon. “Something happened.”

 

What?” asked Jaehwan and then turned to Wonshik, only noticing him then. “Who are you?” he then asked, not sounding too friendly and Wonshik looked down.

 

Come on, be nice Jaehwan,” said Taekwoon and chuckled.

 

I was just wondering who were you talking about. Is he the reason that you're late?” asked Jaehwan and pouted when Taekwoon nodded. Wonshik looked up again and saw that Jaehwan was still glaring at him. Jealousy, huh? Wonshik just had to chuckle, because it was good to see that Jaehwan got upset over such little thing. That meant that he cared and it looked like he really did love him a lot.

 

We were done talking anyways, so you two can go now,” said Wonshik and smiled. “I have to go as well.”

 

But you still haven't told me how you know my-”

 

Let's go,” said Jaehwan, grabbed Taekwoon's wrist and started dragging him away, making Wonshik smile.

 

However, as the two of them left, his smile disappeared and he looked down, feeling emptiness in his heart. Yes, he was glad to see that Taekwoon was happy; that meant the world to him. But still, it hurt... it hurt so much and there was nothing that he could do about it. He wondered, was he really the reason behind Taekwoon's deaths? Maybe he wasn't, who knew. But what he knew was the fact that it hurt less now knowing that Taekwoon was alive, even if he was with someone else.

 

Well, now,” said Wonshik to himself and then rubbed his palms together. “Let's go to work.”

 

After that they, Wonshik and Taekwoon had never met again.

 

Taekwoon eventually forgot meeting Wonshik and he lived a long, happy life with Jaehwan.

 

Wonshik eventually met someone, got married, had some kids... but he was never truly happy, like he used to be with Taekwoon. He somehow managed to get through his life, telling himself that it was going to get better, but it didn't. Without Taekwoon, the life itself lost its meaning and all that Wonshik was left with was pain and regret.

 

End

 

So here is the end. Thank you to all who have been reading and supporting this fanfiction until now. I really hope that you liked reading it.