Korea, here I come

Reversed Cinderella Story

What is your favorite fairy tale? To me, it’s definitely Cinderella. I mean, who doesn’t like Cinderella right? From an unfortunate girl in the dirty kitchen to a beautiful princess over the night and marry your prince charming. Call me a hopeless romantic if you like but I want to be a Cinderella, I want to meet the prince charming that love me by his heart and transform me to a beautiful princess.

But it is not easy to me. Mainly because I cannot be Cinderella, I am already a princess. My father is the king of his own empire. Oh well, he is not literally a King but he is something similar to that. He is ranked the second most wealthy man in the world. His empire is the biggest financial cooperation in America, third in the world.

 He is Korean but he moved to America when he was 20. I was born and raised in America. I can speak Korean very well because he made me to. I am the princess since I was young. We live in a castle, literally a castle, like the one that you see in the movie “Snow White and the Huntsman”, a little smaller version of it since only me and my father live there. It was my idea. I always wanted to be the princess so father built that castle for me. He is a great father, I know.

How about my mother, you asked? Well, she left my father when I was young, 2 years old I think. She was a beauty. I guess I got my pretty face from her. She left my father when he was bankrupted and ran away with his best friend leaving me behind. My old man was devastated but he tried to work hard to support me.

He worked 3 jobs at the same time for years. He is a smart man so with the money that he earned, he invested in stock and his luck was great, just after a few years he became big in Wall Street. He opened his own financial advice company. From there, he started investing in banking and made it big. Our banking system now is all over the word. We have branches in 50 countries I think. Well he talked about the company all the time but I never gave much attention to that. I didn’t like business world in the first place.

 He kept telling me that I have to learn to take over the business. He putted me in Stanford made me study finance. I did what he wanted. I didn’t like it but I did. That old man loves me and spoils me very much. It is the least that I can do for him. I didn’t like school so I tried to do it fast. I graduated in 2 years I think. Yes, I am a genius, I have my father gene. But he was not satisfied with that, he wanted me to get Master degree, so I did and finished it in one year. I graduated with honor. He was very proud of me.

I still didn’t know why I should go school. I mean people get degree to find a good job right? I am already secured the CEO chair in his company then I don’t understand why I need to go school for. But it’s ok, that was my father wish, I did it for him. At least in those 3 years in school I didn’t have to work at his company.

Yes he made me work at his company since I was 16. For God Sake, 16 years old is the time of party and go wild, well in America at least. But he locked me into his company, worked and went home with him, didn’t live me the chance to socialize with any one. It was very depressing. But for him, I’m ok. He was very lonely.

 Actually my mother tried to get back with him when he became a millionaire but he didn’t take her back. Why? Because of me, yes because of me. I told him not taking her back. I cannot forgive the woman that left me and my father for money. I was two at that time. I would understand if she only left my father but she left me too. I am her blood and flesh but she abandoned me without any remorse to run after money. It’s unacceptable. She didn’t deserve our forgiveness. She kept calling me all the time. I picked up the first few times but all she asked for was money. It was too depressing for me. She didn’t love me after all so I decided to cut all contact with her. Call me cold blood all you want but I grew up without her love and I got used to it.

My father was the only real parent in my life. I love him and he loves me a lot too. But because he loves me too much he became over protective. Most parents in America didn’t care much about their kid love life but not my father; he overly involves in my love life even though he is a super busy business man. He is very selective about who I can date. He had the reason for that though.

 When I was 17, I had a boyfriend. He was my high school classmate, super handsome and popular in my school. He was the team caption of my school football team. Girls were all over him and I was one of them. I was died in his deep blue eyes like the color of Caribbean ocean. His wavy hair, his masculine body, his deep dimples, all of them drove me crazy. I was madly in love with him. I thought he loved me too, I thought he would be my prince charming but turned out he was not. He was with me because of money after all. I showered him with expensive gift as we were dating and he cheated on me with a white blonde girl. I caught them making out on the gym room. He begged me to come back but I would never take back the trash that I threw away. I was devastated and my dear father was very upset. From that on, he ran background check on any one that I have interest in and for some reasons he always found something wrong about them. I ended up stop dating. But it doesn’t mean that I gave up on my Cinderella dream.

I want to experience being Cinderella and meet my prince charming once in my life. I am not giving up on that dream. So … I decide to make myself a Cinderella. I decide to do something crazy once in my life. I ran away from my castle to look for my prince charming. I am sick and tired of American guy so I decide to change my direction. Korea is my destination. I always have a thing for Korean guys. I think they are cute and attractive. I determine to find my prince in Korea.

My father is on a business trip in Europe. This will be a good change for me to escape the castle. I bought myself a ticket to Korea that is leaving tomorrow. I tried to choose belonging to bring with me but it is very hard. There are too much clothes and shoes and purses. They are all so pretty. I don’t want to leave any. But I have too. Oh well, I planned to live as a Cinderella so I should be poor, just bring the cheapest thing I have. Then Gucci and LV should be ok, definitely not Prada or Hermes.  After struggling for half of the days I finally came up with 2 suitcases. It was hard work. I normally had my maids do it for me but I can’t ask them this time. I have to keep it a secret.

It is about time for me to go. I should at least leave my father a letter or he will be freaked out and alert the whole police department to look for me. Haiz, I feel bad leaving my old man here by himself but what can I do. I should live my life for once.  I hope he understands. Alright, now I have to write him a letter

“Dear appa,

This is your beloved daughter. Sorry I can’t tell you this in person, mainly because I know you would not let me go, but I decided to move to Korea. Not permanently, don’t worry, just temporary. I want to get out of the castle and explore the world. I want to go look for my prince charming. I know you worry about me but please don’t appa. I’m already 26 years old. I should be able to take care of myself. Please don’t look for me. I want to be independent. I lived under your protection long enough appa.

Please take care of your health, take medication on time even when I’m not around to remind you. Exercise often too appa. It will be good for your health. And don’t over work yourself. You are old appa.

I will definitely find my prince charming and bring it back home for you appa.

I love you.

Seong Im.”

Alright, it should be good enough right? I leave the letter inside his office and leave.

I look at my castle the last time and wave it goodbye. I’m ready for my journey looking for my prince charming.

Good bye castle, goodbye appa, good bye America. Korea, here I come.