Perks of Joy

Next Stop, You

~~~~~

They went for ice cream right after breakfast. Even though her stomach felt like it might rip if she ate any more still hungered for sweets.

“Can we trade?” Jongin asked eyeing her fudge bar.

“No.” she turned to look at his strawberry flavored bar and let out a yelp when he leaned over in an attempt for a bite.

“You’re not supposed to move!” he scolded.

Bursting with laughter Namjoo darted down the street and looked back to find him chasing after her. A tremble of happiness bubbled through her as they went screaming and shouting down the packed street.

The drive back home felt like they were returning from a vacation well spent, her hand clutched within Jongin’s, both their eyes focused on the winding roads ahead. If this was considered bliss she was sure there would be so much more in the future.

~~~~~

Jongin returned to work on Monday. Namjoo used that time to head out and get some more money. She would also do some shopping and use it as a liability if Jongin asked about the money again. She should have told him about the loan earlier on, but she hadn’t. What if talking to him about money struck a cord and he wanted to know if it was his money she needed? Namjoo had never prepared herself to talk to him about the topic of money, which was all in her interest.

Worries scrambled through her mind. What if Jongin even discovered that she approached him for his money and not because she sincerely liked him? If she kept shut no one but her and Kyung would know. She would still be safe.

Yeji’s mock the other day scrambled through her head. Joohwan’s threat to remove her from the home followed. The nervous half of her trembled with anxiety. She really wasn’t prepared to handle any of that if it came her way.

Shoving every worry to the back of her mind she proceeded on with the day’s plan. Half an hour later she found herself back in the shark’s office with a purse weighing five pounds, filled to the brim with cash. The baldy’s eyes landed on her, his lips curled up into a coy smile. He probably had daggers inside his mouth but Namjoo wouldn’t go there.

“It’s another two thousand,” Namjoo explained, watching him go through the bundled money sniffing and waving them in the air as if testing for durability.

“Just two?” he asked. “You must’ve hit the jackpot lately.” His voice was somewhat croaky like a frog’s. The baldy was in a brown leather jacket today with a Hawaiian shirt underneath and she thought he resembled the neighborhood ert. His typical appearance threatening like a mobster and that was what he actually was. He wouldn’t strike a woman but he would do more damage to her home than he would to her.

Namjoo never wanted to mess with him.

“You’ll still owe me one hundred ninety thousand more, you know, but you’re paying it pretty quickly. Interest included, I hope.”

“Of course,” sitting straight up with hands displayed on her lap she nodded. Of course she understood his terms.

“You’ve been doing well I suppose?” the baldy eyed her from the top of his lids.

“Yes.”

He smiled coyly again. His front gold tooth shone underneath the ceiling light directly above them. “Did you get another job?”

Namjoo’s eyes shot down to her choice of wear today. A high definition blouse and blue pants she’d recently purchased from the mall. She was even wearing low heels today. A huge contrast from the faded jeans and tees and age old sneakers she had always worn.

“Kinda…” she lied. She didn’t dare talk about Jongin. Nothing good spoken to this man would help her. What if he, like her, wanted financial gain and harassed Jongin? Panic struck her nerves like darts and gripping the now weightless purse, stood up to her feet. “Then, I’ll leave now.”

“Yes, be back soon,” he called out.

She had lunch by herself at the mall, unable to bring herself to call Jongin to ask if he wanted to come out with her. When she did return home Hunmi was on the phone, pacing the living room with a thumbnail in . Her expression was uneasy and the tone she was using with whomever she was talking to was strict and full of defense.

“Ok, I understand that,” she spoke, unaware of her then her heels again and started toward the opposite direction of the room. “Give him a break. He doesn’t know anything yet. Kwanhoon never allowed him to even lift a pen off the desk, so how is he supposed to understand his father’s style of work?”

Namjoo quietly closed the door in order not to interrupt her, aiming to quietly slide by and disappear into her room. Upon the snap of the bolt her mother turned toward her then quickly turned away, all attention on the phone.

“I’ll be there shortly.” She said then hung up. Turning to her she asked, “You’re home?”   

“Yea…” Namjoo mumbled, eyes elsewhere.

“I have to head out,” she hesitated as if debating whether to give an explanation. Then deciding to go on with it, “One of the board members is upset with Jongin. I’m going to go sort it out. In the meantime, if you didn’t eat there’s some food in the fridge. Jaegeun is taking a nap. Ask if he’s hungry when he wakes up. I’ll be back soon.”

Turning away quickly she shuffled out of the room and as Namjoo started down the hall her mother whished pass with purse and jacket hung over her arm. For a second, she expected the woman to turn and say something else to her but she didn’t. Then a moment later the door clicked shut announcing her leave.

Namjoo headed onto the bedroom to sort her stuff away and wondered what kind of trouble Jongin had gotten into at work. She didn’t understand what the terms of his father’s business was or what kinds of things he needed to do in order to keep it running. The simplest thing she understood was transactions. Did Jongin’s place deal with that too?

Bored, she wandered out of the room and to the living room. Sinking down into the couch she grabbed a pillow and hugging it against her chest, flipped through the channels for something interesting. After a five long minute of searching she landed on a variety show and indulged in it in hopes of passing time. When she nearly fell asleep approaching footsteps awoke her.

Jaegeun was awake.

“Auntie?” he asked rubbing his eyes then dragging himself over with a blanket in hand, climbed up onto the couch to join her.

“You up?” she asked.

“I had a nightmare,” he whined.

“Oh…did you?” she asked suddenly completely unsure how she should coax him. She hadn’t been around children in as long as since she’d grown up. How was she supposed to look after this little boy and comfort him when she didn’t know how to?

She sunk further back into the couch when Jaegeun settled his head onto the pillow on her chest, fixated the blanket over himself, and closed his eyes. Startled by him Namjoo sat there somewhat dumbfounded and at a loss of what to continue doing. She reached for the remote and lowered the volume then glanced down to see that Jaegeun was already well asleep.

It had been a long while since she had needed to comfort anyone protectively. Joohwan was an adult and had no need for her. No one relied on her anymore, but this kid had no parents. In a part, she guessed they were alike in many ways. Reaching down she gently patted him and switched her attention to the television.

~~~~~

“What did you dream about?” Namjoo asked placing a bowl of warm food in front of Jaegeun then joined him across the table. Folding her arms on the tabletop she watched him grab his spoon.

“It’s not that scary,” the little boy explained, “but it scared me.”

She smiled to try to help him feel better. “It’s all right. Auntie’s here with you. What was it about?”

“But you weren’t there.” He peeked up at her then turned back to the food. The spoon clinked against the side of the bowl but he made no attempt to lift the food up to his mouth.

A kind of surprise fluttered through Namjoo and for some reason, felt apologetic. “It was just a dream, Jaegeun. I’m still here.”

“Mommy and daddy went away and you went away too. Then uncle went away because you went away. I was all alone.” his big eyes saddened taking Namjoo aback.

Leaning forward Namjoo rubbed his head, “I won’t ever leave you. I promise.”

“Can you swear on your pinky?”

“Of course,” extending her pinky she waited for his and locked it around his tiny finger. “See? Now that we’ve promised, Auntie will never leave you. Your uncle will never leave you either because he loves you so, so much.”

“You too,” he beamed cheerier, “uncle smiles like this,” he lifted the corner of his lips up, “all the time now because he sees you.”

Scoffing, Namjoo pinched his cheek affectionately. “All right, eat up. You should be hungry.”

“Auntie?” he asked.

“Yes?”

“I love you.” He proclaimed then shook his shoulders and giggled. Namjoo helplessly broke out into a laugh with him, his cuteness melting her heart.

A while later after eating, she realized that Jongin’s mother had not yet returned. Whatever it was at work must be something serious. As she sat there on the floor playing with Jaegeun she wondered if Jongin was ever lonely but never told her. His parents – father and biological mother – were both dead. His sister was also dead. His brother-in-law was also dead. The only real blood relative left with him was Jaegeun.

How did he feel about that? Were there times when he dwelled on sadness?

~~~

Jongin was ready to call it a night. Take a shower, wrap himself up in a blanket, and let himself have the shut eye. He really needed it after the hissy fit the board member had thrown over his refusal to raise the tax in the store. Arguments grew and branched off into other topics with the goal at hand disappearing into the folds. Before he realized it they were talking about something he was completely unaware of.

What a headache!

“You didn’t have to come,” Jongin tried to talk calmly but it came out as a mutter, his utter irritation as visible as day in his tone. He was apologetic but unable to help himself. The stress was killing him.

“Don’t be angry,” the voice carrying calm was supposed to stand at bay from adding oil to his nerves.

“How am I not supposed to?” his voice heavy with heat. “We’re not in the Joseon era where the rich control the poor with land, mom. If I have to do this, I want to run a business where we all can work together. I don’t care about profit or being the number one shopping mall any one person would prefer, over what, the thirty others in our country?”

“I’m not saying you can’t do that,” Hunmi softly spoke, “but remember that the board members worked with your father far longer than they have with you. They’re your elders. I’m sorry to say this, Jongin, but you shouldn’t have argued with him. Many people hold personal grudges in the world of business. I just want you to be careful.”

The urge to roll his eyes, groan, or punch the wheel made his blood boil. Restraining himself, he glared out into the roads overwhelmed with blinding headlights. Anywhere but here sounded like paradise.

For the duration of the ride Jongin refused to speak any more. When they finally arrived into the solace of his home he planned to shower, change, and immediately hop into bed.

“Go rest,” his mother called after him as he walked toward the bedroom. Jongin began tugging his tie loose when he neared the bedroom. Surprise flanked him when cheery music floated into his ears as he opened the door. Namjoo swung around abruptly caught off guard and let out a shout of surprise when she recognized him.

Quickly turning off her phone she stared at him wide-eyed. Jongin stared back blankly, quite taken aback himself.

“You’re back…” she stated softly.

“Oh…” was all he managed, hoping he didn’t look weirded out from catching his wife enjoying herself.

“Go back out. Go, go,” in the split second of an eye she began pushing him out of the door. “Don’t come back in until I tell you to.”

“Ok…” Jongin murmured at a complete lost when Namjoo closed the door behind him.

What was she up to?

Through the closed door he heard the muffled noise of music playing and felt a smile burst onto his lips. Whatever Namjoo was doing, she sure wasn’t going to share with him. To think he’d come home to this.

Thirty seconds later the music faded into silence and he heard Namjoo call out, “Ok! You can come in now!”

Curious to ask her what she’d been up to he opened the door and frowned, seeing that she was standing on the bed with phone in hand. “Stay there.” She motioned to him at the foot of the bed. “Oh wait…close the door.”

Frowning at her he backtracked and closed the door then returned to place at the foot of the bed, looking up at her. “What are you doing?”

Jongin watched her bite her tongue as her eyes focused on her phone. “Cheering you up.”

A breathless laugh oozed out of his lips, his insides flowing with energy and glee. The earlier irritation now long gone was replaced by anticipation. Just how much of a flower could Namjoo be on his dreary days?

Loud flashy music erupted into the air. Swiftly setting the phone down onto the mattress he watched Namjoo dance out a routine she’d spent hours perfecting. A wide smile spread across his lips, his heart leaping with joy watching and musing over how cute and pretty she was. Jongin didn’t think his night could end any more perfectly than this.

Namjoo became puzzled when the song reached halfway and struggled before finally giving up. Arms flapping at her sides she sighed in defeat, “I forgot the rest.” She laughed awkwardly before he stepped forward to hug her grateful and touched by her effort.

“You’re so cute, you know that?” he asked. “I want to squeeze you really bad, but that might hurt.”

Endearing warmth fluttered through him when she ran her fingers through his hair in turn. “I guess that would.”

Laughing, he tightened his arms around her for a secure hold and lowered her feet onto the ground. “Come down here, so I can hug you better.”

Adjusting his arms around her he buried his face into her hair, absorbing the scent of her soft hair. She stood against him just right, felt just right in his hold.

“So, how’d you know I was in a bad mood?” he asked withdrawing from her. Smugly pressing her lips together she shrugged until he by pinching her side. Bending sideways Namjoo let out a shout.

“Now I’m not telling you anymore.” She mumbled. Scrunching her face up she stared at him before her expression lightened. “Fine.” She admitted defeat. “I came home…”

“Came home?” he asked.

“I did some shopping,” Namjoo shrugged him off, “and I came home and heard her on the phone. She said something happened at your work and needed to leave.” Her puppy eyes back on his face, “Feel better now?” she asked when he brushed his thumbs across her temples.

“Mmm…” he thought then tapped his cheek. “How about a kiss?”

He watched her make another face before giving him a quick peck that left his heart leaping light years. He seriously loved her so much. She was the best thing that ever happened to him and he was so happy to have her.

“Yes, I am.” He beamed. “I wanted to sleep right away but now I’ve changed my mind. I’m a little hungry. Feed me?”

She snorted then playfully pinched his cheek and said as she walked away, “Come out after you’ve changed. Food will be all warm and set for you, promise.”

~~~~~

His mother was right about one thing. Adults, even as big and strong as they may seem, were very childish down to their core. Director Hong, whom he’d had the argument with, had worked overnight to get his gang of elderly man to get a majority vote over him the next morning about replacing some vendors that hadn’t been able to rake in a standard amount of profit the past six months.

After three hard hours of trying to make a point which they altered professionally to their advantage, Jongin lost to the majority. Forced to uphold professionalism, he rode the elevator down with the rest of the board of directors. Near the front doors a scene was in the making. Security was blocking a bald man and two others from passing through the large dome lobby. Whom he met that day would have changed the course of his future if it wasn’t for Yeji urging him back to his office after the elderly men left through the doors.

“That’s him, right? The new owner?” the bald man’s voice erupted loudly through the lobby. “Let me talk to him! I have an important matter to discuss with him!”

Pausing for no particular reason, Jongin spun around to peer down the lobby. Security was still strugging to keep the bald men and his followers at bay. He’d never seen them before. Shrugging it off, Jongin completed the rest of the steps toward the elevator, punched the button, and stepped into the lift.


***Jaegeun's dream is about to become his worst dejavu 

***Uh-oh, the loanshark has come to find Jongin

***A few more chapters and it'll be no more cute marriage