Love is Like a Snow

Code of Love

 

IX LOVE IS LIKE A SNOW

I want to be by his side forever,
Take place there as a man, not a friend.
I’ll hug him in my arms and look after him so he’s not sad.

 

 

As the warm orange hue set in, giving the closed sign on the glass door a twilight gleam; serenity began to take over. Accompanied by the remnants of coffee fragrance which dominated the entirety of the cozy shop space, the ambience alone was romantic enough for couples to get lost in each other's eyes – not that sixteen‐year‐old Chan would know of this.

 

Nonetheless, looking at Jihoon with his back to Seungcheol, mumbling something inaudible to his ears, Chan could only shake his head.

 

Not wanting to impose on whatever it was, Chan unscrewed the bean grinder, consequently emptying out the day’s hard‐work. He let a slight grin grace upon his face, each crushed bean raining into the small bin underneath his workstation in which he popped the lid close once done. He couldn’t explain why, but that alone made his tiny chest bloom with satisfaction.

 

Given the café’s size and non‐strategic location, the sales weren’t always that great. It had been pretty much seasonal since opening its doors though today, somehow, seemed to be an exception. With countless customers coming and going, long breaks weren’t permissible for both Jihoon and Chan. It was tiring ‐ that much was obvious, but Chan preferred to go home with sore limbs rather than an almost empty pocket.

 

To carry the title of an Indigent in this lone world was challenging for Chan. Despite him being a middle‐schooler, an age one was expected to be carefree, Lee Chan could not afford to act like other normal teenagers. Particularly since he had developed a strong passion for dancing. There was just something absolutely exhilarating about immersing his whole being in the music, trying to hit each beat with precision as he allowed the rhythm to swallow him whole, momentarily forgetting the harsh reality that was his life. It was engrossing, it was entrancing and only dancing gave Chan such splendor.

 

Remarkably so, his parents, his father especially were very supportive of it.

 

Chan however came to find it unsettling. What with his dad beginning to work till late night just to afford his costly dream, it didn’t feel right to solely depend on both of his parents, burdening them even. Instead, the boy decided to walk down the road of independence and began to understand the white lies people would tell. Somehow, lying itself had been obligatory in becoming autonomous, which he had.

 

Desperate, Chan told them one lie after another; “Mom, I got a scholarship” “Dad, I’ll be back late today ‐ practice.” When in fact, he would clock in for his part time job at a café nearby once his classes were done, arriving home when the clock struck 12 only to wake up early the next day to practice. It was hard at first, but Chan had found a way to make it work. Besides, working at the café for half a day only few days a week wasn’t that consuming anyway.

 

Unlike Jihoon, whom he came to respect after he discovered that the elder had at least 4 part‐time jobs at a time. The very same male who flushed his own dream down the toilet (or so he heard) for his younger brother, a dauntless act too impossible. Because Chan would never abandon dancing, even if it were for a brother he would never have. Not when it was such a huge part of his life. When it was the only thing in this life that made him feel okay.

 

Still, Jihoon had chosen that sacrifice to bear and that made him admire the said person even more.

 

Eventually casting another glance at said individual, Chan let out another chortle as he took in the sight before him. At one of the round tables Chan had wiped half an hour ago, sat a male with a goofy loop to his grin, undoubtedly relishing Jihoon’s company. And then there was Jihoon, the complete opposite with how he sighed at every movement he made, eyebrows knitted to a frown and jaw seemingly tight; resulting in excessive teeth gritting and clenching.

 

The room felt as if it were split into two alternate universes; one filled with flowers and radiant sunshine, while the other was in a state of unstable ruins, with a raging whirlwind that could destroy the fragile balance of it all.

 

And as if on cue, Jihoon knocked down a can of whipped cream from one of the overhead shelves, a curse unconsciously escaping from his now baring teeth. Chan was about help his hyung, yet he was a beat too late when another hand, slightly toned and tanned appeared from over Jihoon’s head, putting the can to its upright position.

 

It was Seungcheol, a person he barely knew but had grown to like. Seungcheol seemed like a nice guy and if Chan had to guess from the brand of jacket he wore from when he first walked in, the raven must’ve been an Opulent. No Bourgeoisies nor Indigents like himself could afford such garment. That being known, it still escaped him why Seungcheol always seemed to be there.

 

Though judging by the faint hue of pink on Jihoon’s cheeks and the glint of playfulness in Seungcheol’s eyes, Chan decided it was best from them to have their moment. It felt too personal to invade anyway.

 

In the end, Chan continued cleaning up the counter, letting the two bicker in the background, bringing a smile on his face for the rest of the night. 

 

- - - - - - - - - - -

 

It was only half past 8 but Jihoon couldn’t wait to go home. Anything just to get away from a very persistent Seungcheol who stuck to his side like a freaking leech. To his dismay, Seungcheol was ‘devoted’ enough to stay until his shift ended, despite the fact that he had been at the cafe since the early morning.

 

Thankfully enough, Chan didn’t probe further as to why a man like Seungcheol showed up at his workplace, even willingly took over his spot when Jihoon was late this morning. But he did feel the weight of the boy’s stare throughout the day, which only heightened that one time Jihoon almost dropped the whipped cream and Seungcheol unknowingly became his ‘knight in shining armor’.

 

And it wasn’t helping one bit when he had to deal with such embarrassing creature even on his way home.

 

“You know, I can walk alone just fine.”

 

“But what if someone attacks you?”

 

“I’m not a damsel in distress, Seungcheol. I do know how to protect myself. In fact, I even learned judo when I was younger.”

 

As Jihoon trailed off, a loud chortle went off from his left side with random hitches of breath here and there. He didn’t have to turn around to know that Seungcheol would have already been doubling over with his hands on his knees. If his increasing laughter was any indication that is. Having none of that , Jihoon continued walking, Seungcheol’s frantic call for his name ostensibly ignored.

 

Jihoon did contemplate throwing Seungcheol into a nearby bush with a sudden tackle, showing him a thing or two about what he had picked up from years of judo. But leaving Seungcheol behind seemed much more convenient. Except Jihoon forgot how long Seungcheol’s legs were in comparison to his. And with three large steps, Seungcheol settled back to his side, the infamous smirk was still intact. Jihoon almost let out a long dragged groan until Seungcheol spoke up, the voice halting him in his tracks.

 

“I’m just worried,” and it came out far too genuine for Jihoon to retaliate. Too genuine that it tugged the strings of his heart. Strangely, Jihoon could hear the same melody he heard the first time he picked up his father’s guitar a few years back. Which caused him to crave for more. What exactly, Jihoon didn’t know.

 

One thing was certain: he was getting more and more confused by the sensation in his chest.

 

“You’re making it seems as if we’re dating. You don’t have to,” Jihoon scoffed, attempting to crack a joke. He was crossing his fingers for a typical jest from Seungcheol, though the latter had other things in mind.

 

“But we are going to get married,” Seungcheol pointed out and somehow, Jihoon could literally feel his palms perspiring at the possible direction of said conversation.

 

He was terrified.

 

“So?”

 

“Doesn’t that mean we have some kind of relationship now? More so engaged?” Seungcheol deadpanned, his face serious. Jihoon on the other hand choked on his spit, firing coughs one after another. For s sake, he did not see that coming.

 

Without any warning, the tingles came back like a tsunami, drowning him with more complicated emotions. The confusion he had experienced before now doubled and his face heated up on such wintery night, little pricks invading down to the tip of his fingers. Honestly, it felt good but Jihoon remained silent. For he was petrified.

 

It was all too alien to him and Jihoon was never fond of anything so unknown to begin with.

 

Yet it didn’t mean Seungcheol was any less right. He was spot on and Jihoon knew he had to get used to it because ultimately, they were going to get married. Then again, it didn’t mean he’d be comfortable with said thought. So instead, he ventured down the path he was familiar of. The path of abjuration.

 

And with his hands in his pocket, balled into a fist, Jihoon muttered, “Shut up. It’s strictly a contract marriage.”

 

But that didn’t cause a dent in Seungcheol’s facade; laughter spilled out just like he had practiced.

 

“Then we’re engaged by contract.” 

 

- - - - - - - - - - -

 

It was Wednesday now, exactly two days before Christmas. It had also been one full week since he became ‘engaged’ to Seungcheol, a reluctant truth Jihoon still found it hard to swallow. But aside from said fact, every day seemed rather normal to Jihoon. He would go to work, then onto the next one, busting his joints until it was late and coming home to a smiling brother. Jihoon did let Seokmin massage an ache or two away every now and then, but others were pretty much repetitive. Including this one extra presence or ‘baggage’ that had been added to Jihoon’s already hectic life.

 

Wherever Jihoon went, have it be his workplaces or even the neighboring convenience store, Seungcheol would trail along as if in competition with his shadow. He would stick close by with that greasy smile of his, his dimples already etched into Jihoon’s brain. From the early mornings when Jihoon would either clock in at the café or the other bookstore he worked at (depending on the day of his shift) until late hours into the night of working at the convenience store, Seungcheol never failed to show up. Not once did Seungcheol break his routine, not once did that man miss Jihoon’s daily schedule.

 

As much as it irked Jihoon to have a hovering 5’8, somewhat attractive male (tho' he would never admit that of course) looking at him with such doe eyes, Jihoon found himself to not hate it. Though not that he particularly liked it either. Jihoon just felt safe.

 

He knew he was somehow taking advantage of the situation, but he couldn’t help it.

 

Moreover, it’s not as if Jihoon forced him to come every day. Truly, said boy even forced Seungcheol to go home at times, nagging him till his lips were dry. Of course, the elder was never easy to deal with in the first place. The endless nagging was mundane to him that Jihoon almost brought Seungcheol to the hospital that one time, fearing that his ears might have been clogged or simply, there could have been something wrong with his brain.

 

Goddamn was Seungcheol a stubborn mule.

 

So when Seungcheol suggested to spend Christmas Eve’s together (he did mention Seokmin if Jihoon remembered correctly) the second Jihoon snapped the padlock upon the metal chains, the peach haired replied with a subtle shrug and a low affirmative hum. To say Seungcheol was shock was an understatement. Considering the way his jaw almost dropped to the floor, a sight Jihoon managed to catch from the corner of his eyes, he knew he gave a rather hard blow to the elder.

 

Not that Jihoon blamed him.

 

He too was shocked himself, reality dawning on him seemingly how easy it was for him to give in. But knowing Seungcheol, the guy might wheedle him, even throw him those puppy eyes that Jihoon despised until he had gotten hold of the hard‐earned yes. Furthermore, knowing how excited Seokmin would get every time Christmas rolled in, Jihoon decided: why not.

 

Plus, it had been two years since they last celebrated Christmas together. For they never had the luxury for said holiday, specifically gifts – and with that being said, Jihoon felt an immense guilt.

 

I really want to get him something...


“What does he want?” Seungcheol suddenly chirped in, his warm voice cutting through the icy night, sending shivers down Jihoon’s small back.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Seokmin. What should we buy for him? You said you wanted to give him something,” Seungcheol then stopped, head tilted to one side and Jihoon came to learn that it was a habit of his whenever curiosity struck the tall man.

 

Embarrassed by both the slip of the tongue and Seungcheol’s full attention on him, Jihoon tore his eyes away, acting oh so nonchalant, “Did I just say that aloud?”

 

“You did,” Seungcheol confirmed with a deep rumble of laughter, his long eyelashes fluttered as his cheekbones rose. It was obvious to Seungcheol how embarrassed the boy was, with Jihoon biting upon his lower lips, appearing a tad too cute for his weak heart. Until a soft punch landed on his right forearm, a fuming (yet still adorably cute) Jihoon glaring at him. “You have to hit me harder than that for it to hurt.”

 

“But I don’t want to be charged under a felony. If I don’t hold myself back, I might hurt you for good,” Jihoon threatened and gradually the laughter died down.

 

At first Jihoon thought his threat finally did some good, but once he looked to his right, greeted by a beaming Seungcheol, his face glowing under the night stars, Jihoon grasped it was the total opposite. There was a little tinge of delight in his eyes, glistening from what could have been an amusement. The dark eyes did however soften by each second, further entrancing Jihoon. And with how Seungcheol’s jaw looked rather defined, a strand of hair fell before the very same eyes staring down at him, Jihoon found it harder to look away this time.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing,” Seungcheol breathed out, the white puff of air was seen. “It’s just that you looked adorable.”

 

If not for his shaking knees, Jihoon would have kicked the boy in the shin for calling him ‘adorable’. He wasn’t anywhere near cute, though Seungcheol seemed to think otherwise. Trying to calm the absolute madness befalling in both his heart and head, Jihoon decided to continue walking ahead, “You always do that. Don’t.”

 

“Do what?”

 

“You know, suddenly turn serious? It doesn’t fit you.”

 

“But I am serious,” Seungcheol suddenly caught up with his long legs (again), the weight of his words came crashing on Jihoon. For some reason, Jihoon chose to stay silent, not wanting to entertain the conversation further.

 

Because for once, Jihoon swore his cheeks were burning so much that they hurt. 

 

- - - - - - - - - - -

 

“Huh. I’m surprised that you’re not with Seokmin tonight. Given that it’s Christmas Eve,” Mingyu popped up, his scratchy voice broke the chirps of crickets in the bushes as Soonyoung snorted when he finally (with difficulty) lowered his long body to the floor.

 

“I didn’t know we are twins” Soonyoung said, his voice drenched with casual sarcasm. However, the traces of bleakness with how Soonyoung dropped several octaves nearing the end did not go unnoticed by Mingyu. “He’s celebrating with Jihoon,” he continued, inviting a short ahh.

 

And Mingyu didn’t say anything else. Instead, the boy shrugged his shoulders, way too high to Soonyoung’s liking. Reminding Soonyoung how short he could be beside such a towering monster.

 

“You know; you should just tell him.”

 

Such an honest towering monster.

 

“Tell him what?” it was more of a challenge, rather than a question but Mingyu was too dumb to notice.

 

“Oh hyung. Everybody knows that you like Seokmin,” Mingyu rolled his eyes as the words rolled off his tongue and instantly, it sent a shot straight to Soonyoung’s heart. A perfect bullseye.

 

Aish. This kid seriously..

 

Perhaps he should just concede. With how the oblivious and dense Mingyu was still able to see through his frontage, Soonyoung understood he couldn’t hide his harboring feelings any longer. He could deny it as much as he wanted; then again the effort itself would be futile. So why not own up to it?

 

With eyes unreadable to Mingyu, Soonyoung let out a low chuckle, “Is it that obvious?”

 

“As transparent as a crystal,” and they both laughed. Because it was silly and being under the dark sky at 10 pm, with just the two of them talking about Soonyoung’s crush towards Seokmin was anything but ordinary.

 

The group as a whole did have the occasional of heart‐to‐heart talk, thanks to the ever so wonderful Boo Seungkwan. But none of them came close to the borderline both Mingyu and Soonyoung were crossing just now. They talked just about anything; food, the crazy cat lady next door, even the probably spoiled milk Mingyu managed to find a few weeks back. Though none of those talks ever involved love and effection.

 

Which explained the reason Soonyoung felt stark at that very moment, despite having few layers of clothing on. He felt raw, he felt exposed. Because he was aware he just peeled back a layer of his emotion, revealing a longtime kept secret.

 

“You know I can’t Mingyu. Not with what's to come in the next few weeks.”

 

And that triggered the annoying alarm in Mingyu’s head.

 

“What do you mean?” Mingyu asked, eyebrows and forehead laced with both curiosity and worry. Soonyoung managed to catch the split second bleary look Mingyu sent him before the latter heaved in relief once he saw Soonyoung’s smile. Preventing Mingyu from drifting to the darker side of his mind.

 

“You’ll know when the time comes buddy. You’ll know,” giving Mingyu a pat on the shoulder; and with that Soonyong rose from the ground and walked off into his own house. 

 

- - - - - - - - - - -

 

White Christmas.

 

A beauty, a grace. Definitely a sight to behold. Snowflakes sprinkled down in a subtle pattern, bewitching children even adults as they moved along to the fallen flecks, trying to catch them with either their tongues or their hands. It gave great wonders to Seokmin how enthralling winter could get, even when the chilly temperature seeped through his padded jacket. The pricks didn’t bother him even the slightest, for he had snowflakes to admire and Christmas to savor.

 

He was nervous at first, with having to meet his soon‐to‐be brother in law which brought him back to sometime last week when Jihoon finally broke the news at the dining table, his spoon hovered halfway to his mouth. Seokmin of course was shocked, still he flashed his infamous smile once recovered, happy for his brother nonetheless. Knowing Jihoon, the elder must have thought days and nights about it and regardless of why and how, Seokmin would support his brother either way.

 

Likewise, Seungcheol was the best companion for Jihoon, for he knew the latter would be taken good care of. The night of Christmas Eve confirmed it all. Seokmin didn’t expect much, but he was sincerely surprised to find himself enjoying Christmas after so long.

 

It was not as awkward as Seokmin thought it’d be as they started off in the street of Sinchon, a Christmas market in which Seokmin begged to go. As expected, when suggested, he received a glare from Jihoon, angrily whispering that it’s too far. Only to be cut off by a jubilant Seungcheol who said, “I’ve been wanting to go there too” and Jihoon couldn’t refute for Seungcheol had already pressed on the pedal, driving out of the outskirts of the city.

 

And boy, Sinchon was beautiful.

 

The street was packed, with mostly couples enjoying the moment together. Christmas songs playing in the background, one of them being Mariah Carey’s hit and Seokmin’s all time favourite: All I Want for Christmas is You. Venturing further down the street, there were shops and restaurants, window displays all decorated with fake snow and festive garlands. The three of them finally came to the infamous Christmas tree located a few blocks down, the biggest one Seokmin had ever seen that he had to take in the sight for a few seconds before he smiled, eyes crinkled with excitement.

 

It lasted for a good five minutes before he was greeted by a snowball to his face and a loud laughter to his right. Seokmin was about to hurl one back at Seungcheol when he yet again smacked by a bigger ball this time, Jihoon still snickering at how slow Seokmin was. So Seokmin aimed for Jihoon instead, which led to a mini snowball fight and for once, Seokmin was shocked. Because Jihoon was smiling; the kind that made his eyes curve into a small set of moons, lips tugged with its corner dissolved into the dip of his dimples, showing the pearly white teeth.

 

This time it was genuine. Thankfully, it was not the usual one in which Jihoon mustered on his difficult days, a smile so fake just to strip the worry off Seokmin.

 

Lee Jihoon was thoroughly enjoying himself. Through the glare and the curses thrown at Seungcheol (let it be “moron” or “idiot”), Seokmin could still see the sparkle in his eyes. Seeing how Seungcheol managed to make Jihoon that happy, it finally dawned onto Seokmin that maybe, just maybe, Seungcheol was the one for Jihoon.

 

That one person Seokmin had been waiting, the very same person Jihoon chose not to believe in – Jihoon’s soulmate. Jihoon was a coal, burning with great passion, heart filled with rage to the government itself and for some reason, Seokmin believed Seungcheol was the extinguisher Jihoon needed. Someone who could wash away the hatred, who would calm him when needed.

 

Seungcheol was perfect.

 

He had been a total gentleman the entire night that even when they reached a coffeeshop by the end of the course which hosted by Seungcheol himself, the eldest still insisted in paying. Jihoon, who tried to refute was ignored, only to have his wrist gently shoved aside as Seungcheol took the liberty to scan his barcode and walked back to their table with a tray of 3 steaming cups of coffee with a still bitter Jihoon trailing behind. Their bickering was cute, but Seokmin didn’t dare to say a word. For he wanted to be spared from Jihoon’s wrath.

 

Seokmin thought that was all to their Christmas celebration until he was greeted with 2 gifts once midnight came. One of them being a thick red knitted sweater, with white reindeers across the chest and Seokmin instantly whined at how expensive it must have been. Until Jihoon smacked him across his head, saying that he shouldn’t wear a sweater with holes in them. The patches of exposed skin annoyed Jihoon, or so he said; but Seokmin still thanked his brother, knowing all too well of his wonderful intention.

 

While another was suprisingly from Seungcheol, to which Seokmin couldn’t accept because in the black box there was a new pair of glasses, with thin rounded frame, a famous brand etched on the side. It was too high‐priced and besides, his current glasses were still fine. If he were to cover the loose hinges with more tape, Seokmin was sure it would last for at least another year. But Seungcheol was having none of it and Jihoon who was having the same thoughts as Seokmin had to give in.

 

“It’s Christmas,” Seungcheol explained. So Seokmin accepted it with such gratitude that he kept repeating ‘thank you’ over and over again. “Merry Christmas, Seokmin.”

 

And a Merry Christmas it was.

 

- - - - - - - - - - -

 

“You didn’t have to buy him anything.”

 

“But I wanted to.”

 

Alas Jihoon exhaled, clearly defeated by Seungcheol. Jihoon had learned to accept that he would never win against the elder as the male would come up with 1000 different excuses each time, until Jihoon was left with no rebuts to give back. Per usual, Jihoon dropped the topic at that, Seokmin already went into the apartment, leaving both Jihoon and Seungcheol downstairs.

 

“I should get going. Thanks for tonight,” Jihoon breathed out, his hands buried deep in his pockets, ready to turn on his heels to the entrance, too cold to idle any longer. But Seungcheol seemed to have something up his sleeve.

 

“Don’t you wanna know what your present is?” causing Jihoon to quirk an eyebrow, his face not the slightest impressed.

 

“No, I don’t.”

 

Regardless, Seungcheol dug into his coat anyway, fishing for whatever it was until he took out a small velvet box about half the size of his palm. Jihoon could only stared in confusion when Seungcheol finally revealed a ring, with a tiny yet polished diamondas it glistened in the slit of the red chest.

 

“Seungcheol,” Jihoon stuttered, his lips frozen. “What... is this?”


“It’s a ring.” and Jihoon almost slapped Seungcheol because who the hell could not see that?

 

“I know it’s a ing ring!” he shrieked as he took a step back, too alarmed by the ‘gift’ Seungcheol had presented him. That was too much for Jihoon to accept, neither to process. So Jihoon tried to swerve his way out. “I mean I know we’re getting married and all, but I don’t think it‐“

 

“Just think of it as a couple ring,” Seungcheol cut him off. “Or perhaps a friendship ring. It doesn’t have to be a wedding ring. Little steps, if you want.”

 

Though it didn’t come off as reassuring for Jihoon as he was still shaking, his anxiety building up. Commitment scared him and a ring signified that. Friendship or couple, whatever reasoning Seungcheol came up with, a ring was still a ring.

 

“I’m not forcing you to accept the idea. Just think of it as a promise, a contract. That we’d coincide to each other's rules. Besides, we need to make it believable to my parents. Right? And you don’t need to wear it at all times. Just when you are needed to,” Seungcheol gave it a last straw and finally Jihoon nodded. Because Seungcheol somehow made sense. Taking the box from Seungcheol, Jihoon stared at the ring, discomfort still evident on his face.

 

“I take that I have to wear it this weekend?”

 

Seungcheol replied with a nod, giving a couple pats on Jihoon’s shoulder, “Sleep well, Jihoon‐ah” and with that, Seungcheol left, leaving Jihoon behind with a box of so‐called promise and a heap of anxiety in himself.

 

For he’s scheduled to meet Seungcheol’s parents in few days and the remaining pluck of courage he had just went out of the window. 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

OMG! It's been awhile right? I'm so sorry, but like I stated before, I needed some time.
To reflect, to patch up every single weaknesses I've found in my story.
To be honest, I wouldn't publish this story if not for my lovely beta and idea bank, Mon.
So thank you Mon. I dedicate this chapter for you hahaha.

Anyway I'll try my best to update once a week as I'm back for college now.
And I may have to work part time as the fees are hella expensive.
But I've promised myself to at least write a passage a day. 
So please cheer on my. I'll try my best :)

p/s: did you see the amount of JiCheol in One Fine Day? Cause I did and I'm dying T^T

Beta'd by 
Monica 
- @zeldapikachu94

xoxo
Nash