Unrequited Love

My WonTaek Dump

Taekwoon would sometimes see him walking down the halls with his group of friends, chattering happily or dancing to some music that were blasting off his headphones. In classes they shared, he would be sitting at the back, a couple of tables away from him, looking as if he'd die of boredom. But he never had a problem with answering any of the teachers' questions or passing the subjects. Wonshik had a lot of sense and Taekwoon admired him for that.

 

Some days, Taekwoon would find him in the dance room, dancing alone or with his dance crew, as he was heading to the field for soccer practice. On match days, he'd be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of him sitting on one the benches watching the game and cheering for the team. At times, Taekwoon wished that he had a free enough schedule to go and see the dance competitions in return.

 

His name was Kim Wonshik, Taekwoon's little crush ever since second year of high school. He never did confessed nor he was going to. It wasn't because he was scared of the outcome or that he wasn't ready, Taekwoon was content. It was enough for him to be on the sidelines, observing and enjoying his little antics. The booming laughter he would always hear from across the cafeteria, whenever one of Wonshik's friend cracked a joke, was enough for him to get through the day.

 

Wonshik knew of his existence, it was just that they were in two completely different worlds that they never did have the chance to sit and talk. Both of them were known by people for different things and they have their own groups of friends or "cliques". There was nothing more than just friendly exchanges of greetings in the hallways, during classes or whenever they bumped into each other somewhere in school. It wasn't hard for Taekwoon to hide it all, no one needed to know.

 

Taekwoon would describe them as polar opposites, Wonshik was loud, friendly to everyone and would always be smiling, while he was quiet, a bit on the aloof side and wasn't very generous with his smiles. Many would say that they were friends with Wonshik, but not that many outside of the school's soccer team would admit that they knew Taekwoon personally. Wonshik had a couple of girlfriends, whereas he had gone on a couple of dates, but not one of them worked out. Even their grades showed differences. When he was on the verge of being dropped out of the soccer team because of his bad grades, as expected, Wonshik was the first to offer him a hand with his studies. But not wanting to trouble him, Taekwoon declined and made do with a private tutor instead.

 

They rarely ended up as lab partners, but when they do, Wonshik would patiently explain things to him and actually work together unlike the others who prefer to just do the assignments themselves, not that Taekwoon was complaining. By the end of the day, they still split to their own respective ways, but Taekwoon would whistle happily as he made his way home. During school events, whenever he got assigned in a group with Wonshik, Taekwoon would do his best to help around and would be given an appreciative pat on the back which he then return it with a small smile. They never really get passed friendly.

 

He was lucky to be bunked in the same cabin as Wonshik during school camp one summer, but they would always be tired after a whole day of activities so Taekwoon would find him flopped down on his bed, snoring, before he could even start a conversation. Watching Wonshik sleep for a little while before he, himself passed out was enough to make up for it though. 

 

Prom wasn't anything special either, Taekwoon somehow managed to get a date, but he was sure that his date wasn't very happy with him. Wonshik, however, looked like he was having the best time of his life. The dance floor was practically taken over by him and his friends, dancing all night long to all the different music being played. Taekwoon mostly spent his time eating or drinking while watching everything that took place on the platform, wishing that his body wasn't stiff enough to dance and join in on the fun.

 

The only intimate interaction that Taekwoon ever gotten from Wonshik was a hug during their highschool graduation. Both of them were going to different colleges, pursuing their own dreams. Wonshik didn't know it, but the strong grip that Taekwoon had on him not only meant good luck and farewell, but he was actually bidding goodbye to his unrequited love.

 


 

How timid and delicate unrequited love is? 

Even though unrequited love finds its own way in, it's a love that gets trapped inside, unable to find an exit. Even though I'm the one who started it, without knowing a thing, if he leaves my sight one day, it's a love that ends in vain without it ever having a purpose.

Never even having had the chance to bud or bloom any flowers. A love that can never bear fruit, like a seed left fogotten.

-The Flower Boy Next Door